• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Toughest Gym Leader (or battle) in Gen VI?

Re: Toughest Gym Leader (or battle) this Gen?

So far, I haven't had all that much trouble with any of the gym leaders. However, the trainer in Wulfric's gym with the Vanilluxe was destroying me. Her previous pokemon set up hail and every time it used ice beam it would freeze the pokemon I had out, not to mention doing solid damage. That thing alone KO'd half me team and had the rest frozen by the end of the match. I had to pull a quick flame charge on my red health Talonflame right as my previous pokemon fainted and the hail stopped. I would have defeated earlier it with a second iron head by my Duoblade, but it out sped me and got a critical hit.

Once again, all of them were pushovers for me.

As of now (I'm still on the last gym), it was my final battle with Lysandre. His Mega Gyarados was painfully too strong for me.
My Gardevoir which was my only hope was defeated in 1 turn with an Aqua Tail. My team's highest level was 52 which was Greninja.
4 in my team fainted, Yveltal with very low hp finished Mega Gyarados with Oblivion Wing.

I love not over leveling my Pokemons lol.

Don't use Exp Share! For those who think that the battles are too easy.

inb4 Korrina with Mega Lucario
That thing killed me because my Bone Rush missed. :p

Hmm, I had difficulty with Ramos, and Valerie. Because I insisted on using certain Pokemon just so they can get the exp. And it didn't help I was 3-4 levels under them.

I thought I had been doing pretty well, but I was a bit under levelled when I challenged Grant. I thought my Frogadier would be able to handle the Rock types with ease, but I had no idea he had 2 level 25's...so I went back and trained until my Pokemon were all a bit above that, swept him with just Frogadier. I was worried about Korrina so I hella over levelled (evolving my Charmeleon in to Charizard because I didn't have anything super effective against Fighting, because I forgot Fairy was and I had Sylveon ^^;)...then spent the rest of the game way over levelled for the gym leaders and E4 >__<

I think I had a bit of a rough time with Valerie because I didn't have anything that was super effective against Fairy. I think I mostly went with my own Sylveon because at least the damage was less, heh.

I had some trouble with Korrina because fighting types just hit so hard. The random trainers with Sawks in the game would beat me up every time, until I landed a Gardevoir. Strangely had no issues with the Fairy gym even though I had nothing that was super-effective against Fairy for the entire game.

The only trainer that gave me a hard time was..um.....hmm, what was his name again?
I dunno, but the water type user in the Elite 4.
All I had that was super effective against water was a Raichu, and whenever we would send out his Gyarados, he would be able to Dragon Dance a few times before 1-shotting/nearly 1-shotting all my Pokemon.

Everyone was easy. Even the champ. I used two pokes to defeat her six. The hardest battle was Lysandre. The hardest GL was Korrina I think. Her Hawlucha was nasty. But this gen was simple. I miss Whitney. That was a real challenge.
EDIT: The Sky Battle trainers. As I only have one flyer at my team, I was defeated fairly easy.

I have to agree with the general sentiment that this whole generation was stupidly easy. The only fight I had any thing aproaching "trouble" with (ie: not one, two, or three shotting their whole team) was Diantha, and that was only 'cause I tried to switch to a new pokemon every time one of her's fainted.

EDIT: The Sky Battle trainers. As I only have one flyer at my team, I was defeated fairly easy.
I have pretty much only EVER taken one flyer into any Sky Battle (my resident Fletchinder/Talonflame). She's held out against Emolgas, Charge Beam Sigilyphs, and one Aerodactyl (the last of which she only beat by a Me First Stone Edge). Having Roost is definitely a lifesaver (though how exactly it works in a Sky Battle, go figure).

I didn't find them difficult, but was getting fed up with the level spikes on my team from the exp share, spin turned it off after korrina (not so much the overpower problem, but I'm OCD and couldn't regulate their level gains). So, as some have stated, Valerie was pretty tough. I even have a scolipede, who is my resident fairy-killer, and it was still rather tough. The last gym was giving me issues with that avalugg + curse nonsense, but then I pulled out my malamar (who, up until this point, I wasn't so very find of), and topsy-turvy'd that mofo.

I didn't find them difficult, but was getting fed up with the level spikes on my team from the exp share, spin turned it off after korrina (not so much the overpower problem, but I'm OCD and couldn't regulate their level gains). So, as some have stated, Valerie was pretty tough. I even have a scolipede, who is my resident fairy-killer, and it was still rather tough. The last gym was giving me issues with that avalugg + curse nonsense, but then I pulled out my malamar (who, up until this point, I wasn't so very find of), and topsy-turvy'd that mofo.

Well, first of all, I'm OCD too, so high-five there brother!

Second of all, I love that you love Butterfree. BUG POKEMON ROCK.

Mine was probably Clemont, because the only Ground-type move I had was Mud Shot, and it was equipped on Chesnaught of all. Since Ches is anything but a special attacker, it took a while to kill everything.

Viola, although only because one my Pokémon fainted because I wasn't overleveled >_> All other Gym Leaders were so easy, especially Korrina, I basically one-shotted all of her Pokémon. My Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash just 'slayed' almost all of the Gyms xD Defintely playing without the Exp. Share next time, although I doubt it will make the game much harder.

Echoing what people have said about Clemont for not having a dedicated Ground-type user. I think I used my Furfrou that had Dig and my Chespin to tank some hits (the resistance to Electric-type attacks was much appreciated). I guess Valerie (that's the name of the Fairy-type Gym Leader, no?) would be in second place, but Hidden Power Poison from my Sylveon made it not as difficult as it could've been.

This, all of this. The fact that my only eligible Pokémon was Talonflame didn't make it any better, either (Aerodactyl UGH).

Sky Trainer Colm on Route 8, he's waaaaayyyy over leveled at this time and hin Papungha raped me -.-

Yeah, talking about Sky Battles, they DID give me hard time sometimes. I only had Noibat and later Noivern with me as a flyer and refused to train another Flying-type.... although this didn't work out sometimes, especially when I battled a Sky Trainer with a..... Cryogonal, not a good match-up with Noivern T_T , or most flying-types for that matter.

For me it was actually Valerie since I didn't really have much to counter Fairy types, except Poison Jab on my Hawlucha, though Hawlucha is weak against Fairy type moves. Dazzling Gleam actually did quite a bit of damage to me.

I was disappointed when I found team flare blocking me off from the next road, as I would have been able to get my lovely trubbish in the lost hotel. Incidentally, this would have made my trip through Valerie's gym significantly easier.

I will tell you what was not the hardest fight: I wiped the Elite Four and the Champion with one pokemon: Azumarrill.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom