• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Toughest Gym Leader (or battle) in Gen VI?

Re: Toughest Gym Leader (or battle) this Gen?

I avoided most of the Sky Trainer battles since I only had Vivillon for a Flying Type for the whole game. The one I did fight was pretty difficult(I think they had a Fletchinder or Pidgeotto).

As bad as this sounds, Wulfric's Avalugg gave me a bit of trouble. I really wasn't expecting it to have base 184 defense and Avalanche. My Meowstic beat it after two of my team fainted to it. Speaking of Meowstic, mine tore apart like half the gyms once it evolved. Definitely one of my favorites from Gen VI.

I found Diantha's team to be really easy except for her Mega Gardevoir. Even then, I just used Quiver Dance with Vivillon a couple times and used Bug Buzz. She was pretty easy, which is disappointing, as the background for her battle is awesome.

Valerie's Sylveon was hard to take down. And Wulfric's Avalugg was hard to take down when I was overleveled with the Exp. Share in X. So I'm going to guess that it's gonna be hard when I'm just 1 level above it in Y.

The battle that gave me the most trouble was the final battle with Lysandre. I beat him on the first try, but his mega Gyarados knocked out four of my Pokemon. Then once I realized that mega Gyarados is water/dark instead of part flying or dragon, it wasn't that bad.

The battle that gave me the most trouble was the final battle with Lysandre. I beat him on the first try, but his mega Gyarados knocked out four of my Pokemon. Then once I realized that mega Gyarados is water/dark instead of part flying or dragon, it wasn't that bad.

I had no idea of that, and I assumed that I could OHKO him with my Raichu and her 4x effective Thunderbolt. Instead, his Gyarados OHKO'd my Raichu with Earthquake.

Anyway, main topic. Actually, all the gym leaders up to Valerie, except Korrina, weren't really pushovers. Although, I admit, I ended up being on par, and even under-levelled at times, due to raising over 20 Pokemons.

• I had a nasty surprise against Viola as I didn't think she would use Suskrit.
  • Grant's Pokémon were dual-typed as such, so I was discouraged from using my Bulbasaur, and he also gave my Riolu quite a good beating too.
  • Korrina was the only really easy gym leader; my Honedge really did wonders in keeping her fighters at bay.
  • Ramos was surprisingly annoying, because I brought out Bellossom with Venoshock, expecting Jumpluff to only have a couple of Grass moves. Instead Jumpluff took my poor Bethany down with Acrobatics. And a couple of my other mons were inflicted with poison/paralysis.
  • Clemont was also bad, because I never have thought Emolga would even switch with another mon that has Grass Knot against my (female) Steelix. And thinking she was more than enough, I didn't bring in any other Pokemon that had type advantages against Clemont.
  • Bit off-topic but the same Steelix also had trouble with one of the gym trainer's Dedenne. That Dedenne kept doing Rest -> Snore, and every single Snoring time, my Steelix flinched. Not only that but it also took 1/4 of her HP every time, so I eventually had to switch her out because the whole battle was not going anywhere.
  • Valerie was also bad due to my general lack of moves/types against the Fairy type.

Olympia and Wulfric were the only two gym leaders that didn't give me any trouble. The former was manageable as I had Umbreon and Pangoro, and I blitzed the latter with that event Torchic ->Blaziken, which was underlevelled by 5-6. At any rate I never thought gym leaders were even capable of making educated decisions. (I actually didn't get that Torchic until just before Wulfric, so that may have further upped the difficulty a bit too.)

Last edited:

I was severely underleveld for the first few gyms because I wanted to use random Pokemon I found on the way and train them a bit with xp share. Losing when so many people say this game is the easiest was not very fun.

I didn't find the game all that hard and the gym leaders were a breeze for me but when I got to the reflection cave I wiped out twice against the battle girl and her hawlucha X( I didn't know what type it was and well it caught me off guard so that was my toughest battle.

Hedvig down in Reflection Cave was still my hardest. Valerie's Fairies didn't stand a chance against my Talonflame and Delphox, though her male Sylveon was definitely a surprise (my Talonflame and Delphox are both females). But I sort of knew in advance Sylveon is weaker physically and practically OHKO it with Psyshock. Lysandre's Mega Gyarados KO'ed my current Pokemon but didn't stand a chance against my Jolteon (even without the 4x weakness to Electric, he still went down in one hit).

The Champion's Gardevior gave me a little trouble, mostly by outspeeding almost everything I had on me and hitting so damn hard. Mega Lucario took it out with Shadow Claw (though Gardevoir was still faster and Moonblast still took a major chunk out of him). And Serena's Mega Absol definitely roughed up my team a bit....

Clemont was toughest for me in my Froakie runthrough, a lot easier with my Delphox runthrough. Normally I like to trying and finish Gym Leaders with my starter over the other Pokemon, but I ended up using Talonflame's Flame Charge to be able to take it down since nothing seemed to be working without getting KO'd when I used Greninja.

I never really found any of the Gym Leaders to be "tough" per se, since some of them I feel that I kind of...overleveled for, I guess. Elite four was somewhat of a different story, with Siebold being remotely challenging because I think he KO'd one of my 'mons and his Gyarados was setting up DD and I crt KO'd with Meowstic's Psychic, so that was a pretty close call there.

Not anything really. Before the 3rd gym I grinded my pokemon levels like crazy and after that, I really had no difficulty with the game.

Rock gym leader (Grant?). My pokemon were very under leveled at that point. My team was Quilladin, Helioptile (lol), flabebe (lol), and charmeleon (lol). The first two lols have terrible defense and get knocked out easily. Lol number three is, well, an under leveled fire type, and Quilladin, the only thing that stood a chance, was screwed over by aurorous. I level grinder a bit afterwards and had no problems. E4 was dirt easy, with a total of 3-4 fainted pokes.

Has anyone tried not using Exp Share? How does it turn out?

I think I made the gym leader too easy for me to decide (I used the exp share and grind new Pokemon I caught to the same level as my others).

Most of the early Sky Trainers were very difficult for me, especially when I realized that even with Exp. Share my 1-2 birds were too underleveled to put up much of a fight and I had to restart a few times to be able to beat them. Especially when they used SE flying types.

Grant was pretty tough for me, I was underlevelled in my Y game and had a lot of Grass types, so Refrigerate take down was pretty strong, plus thunder wave wasn't any help.

Grant was pretty tough due to me being underleveled. And the Sky Trainers were tough, because I only had Talonflame.
I didn't use exp. share btw, so the league was pretty hard too. Although I didn't have to challenge them over and over again as I did with Grant.

Grant and Valerie were fairly hard. The only reason Grant was hard was the large skip in levels. Valerie was tough just because of here Sylveon. You were out of luck if you didn't have anything strong against it.

Well neither of GYM learder were really tought my pokemon most of the time were >10 so they were pretty easy; If I have to pick 1 is going to be Grant

Korrina as a Successor was hard, since you can only use Mega Lucario, and I actually lost to her.

Valerie gave me a lot of difficulty. I did not have strong Steel or Poison-type moves while battling her, so I lost to her over and over. Eventually though, my Braixen evolved into Delphox, and the battle got significantly easier.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom