• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to copyright claim

On July 16, The Pokémon Company International filed a lawsuit against Beckett Media for both the use of Pokémon images in their magazine and the selling of individual Pokémon cards. TPCi argues that Beckett's use of Pokémon images in their magazine, Beckett Pokémon Unofficial Collector, violates the copyrights that they own. The company also claims that Beckett "receives a commission [...] from each sale transacted through the Beckett Marketplace", including selling Pokémon cards.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to

And I used to subscribe to these guys. I've never heard of any of this until now. They'd used card images since the magazine's first printing, far as I know. What makes it any different now?

I just hope TPCI doesn't force them to cease production completely.

Re: TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher: Beckett Media sued due to

And I used to subscribe to these guys.

Same, only it was for Yu-Gi-Oh. I feel pretty bad for them. I really don't see what TPCi has to gain from doing this.

What happ-..

Oh wait, Unofficial Collector. I'm surprised they just got it now, well over ten years after it began.

Jeez, I remember this magazine from when it came out back in *1999*.

Unofficial just means that they have no ties with Nintendo, Konami, TPCI, etc., doesn't it?

Same, only it was for Yu-Gi-Oh. I feel pretty bad for them. I really don't see what TPCi has to gain from doing this.

Me neither. Something regarding $75,000 was in the lawsuit somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up again.

It appears they have done things before, and this was simply the result of them getting sick with Beckett's recent lack of co-operation with their legal demands.

It appears they have done things before, and this was simply the result of them getting sick with Beckett's recent lack of co-operation with their legal demands.

That might explain it. I've also noticed that when Nintendo Power moved to a different publishing company, TCPi have been making the Pokémon video game Players' Guides themselves.

Maybe they'll start making the card guides, too.

What is with all the legal stuff lately.
I used to get the magazines at the local gas station in town.
It actually helped me a lot when I was a kid.

And just when I was gonna try and buy it too...

Still, it doesn't suprise me at all.

Ehhh... not like that many people buy it many more...

Maybe the only recently decided to sue them because nobody buys them anymore to prevent mass outcry?

I'm still surprised that Beckett is still around, provided the only place I ever seen the magazines are in Toys R Us stores, but I figured they were back issues or something seeing as how they also have back issues of Shonen Jump on their stands as well. Well, it was a fun run while it lasted, and I do remember reading them when I was younger.

who cares this isnt significant to pokemon fans

I was a subscriber. So definitely there are at least some fans who found Beckett significant.

Sure it is, they've covered Pokemon information.

Sure it is, they've covered Pokemon information.

Exactly what I mean. They also did coverage similar to the "On the Origin of Species" that Bulbapedia recently started doing. I just hope this doesn't cease production, I don't think my 12 issues of the magazine are even finished yet. They recently did begin sending issues bi-monthly.

I've never really heard of TPCi. Unless that was the trading card magazine I got when I was 10 years old. It's definitely fascinating, though. I'm interested in this. As others said, I'm not 100% sure why this is related to us, but I'm sure that there is some relativity.

I've never really heard of TPCi. Unless that was the trading card magazine I got when I was 10 years old. It's definitely fascinating, though. I'm interested in this. As others said, I'm not 100% sure why this is related to us, but I'm sure that there is some relativity.

TCPi is The Pokemon Company international. They are suing Beckett. You should know who TPCi is. It's related to us because it's Pokemon.

People: Bulbanews is a NEWSPAPER. It will report on Pokemon matters that having nothing to do with Bulbagarden sometimes. If you don't like it, you don't have to comment on it.

Last edited:

Maybe they'll start making the card guides, too.
Nintendo did put out one issue of an "Official Pokemon Magazine" a couple months ago... and it was TCG-centric... :B

Ehhh... not like that many people buy it many more...

Maybe the only recently decided to sue them because nobody buys them anymore to prevent mass outcry?
LOL. there are back issues clogged up in my local comic shop, the owner gives them to me for free because nobody buys them.

It's mostly for those of us who read the magazine in like ~1999 :p and it's significant enough (for once), this IS the longest-running Pokemon publication and, well, it's a Pokemon publication.

I've never really heard of TPCi. Unless that was the trading card magazine I got when I was 10 years old.
TPCi is the company that makes everything to do with Pokemon, not a magazine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom