• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TR vs TR

Which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marshiyanmisuta

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
Which one do you prefer: Old TR with "sympathyc" and "funny" personality, or new TR with "antagonistic" and "serious" personality. What do you think about their back to old selves in BW25. Discuss!

Old TR. But I don't really think we can call it "old" per say..I think BW 25 proves their normal personality was never replaced, therefore never "old".

Heck, even in BW 1-5 there really wasn't all that much of a difference. They still screamed and got scared when Oshawatt sprayed them with Water Gun in BW2 and when then they fell from the balloon.

I prefer a Team Rocket that doesn't fall back into the same old routine.

We've had about 20 episodes (and occasional one-offs) of badass Team Rocket and 600+ of goofy Team Rocket. Can you tell which is the one that needs to be fleshed out more?

We've had about 20 episodes (and occasional one-offs) of badass Team Rocket and 600+ of goofy Team Rocket. Can you tell which is the one that needs to be fleshed out more?

To be fair, "badass" TR was hardly more competent than "goofy" ones. And they usually did nothing in all these episodes. Musashi's Koromori did nothing and Kojiro didn't even catch a pokemon...

To be fair, "badass" TR was hardly more competent than "goofy" ones. And they usually did nothing in all these episodes. Musashi's Koromori did nothing and Kojiro didn't even catch a pokemon...
I don't care. It was different and different is good for a new series.

No blast-offs, crazy machines kept to a minimum, new friggin' uniforms... Now you're telling me I have to go back to regular Coke after experiencing the awesome taste that is Cherry Coke? The old Coke has gone flat and lukewarm. Blech.

I don't care. It was different and different is good for a new series.

No blast-offs, crazy machines kept to a minimum, new friggin' uniforms... Now you're telling me I have to go back to regular Coke after experiencing the awesome taste that is Cherry Coke? The old Coke has gone flat and lukewarm. Blech.

Funny you mention Coke. Back in the '80s, Coke released a new formula of Coke with Corn syrup to make it more like Pepsi. Needless to say "New Coke" was one of the biggest marketing blunders of all time and people demanded the old Coke back, which returned in a matter of weeks.

The old adage goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Perhaps the writers were overwhelmed by the negative response to the "new" TR and changed them back. Or maybe they just like messing with us and planned this all along. Besides, we don't even know what is in store yet. TR might not be blasting off every episode like they used to. Perhaps it will be a hybrid between the old TR and "new" one.

Charmander4 said:
Perhaps the writers were overwhelmed by the negative response to the "new" TR and changed them back.

That's what I'm thinking. This episode would have gone into production after the series started in September, so they would have started getting in feedback by then. I guess the emotionless robots weren't that popular :)

That's what I'm thinking. This episode would have gone into production after the series started in September, so they would have started getting in feedback by then. I guess the emotionless robots weren't that popular :)

Another "theory" is that the writer who was basically the "father" of the TRio, Takeshi Shudo, also passed on around this time and perhaps as a sign of respect they are reverting them back to the original incarnations to honor him?

I mean, while I totally love the change of heart, doing it only 25 episodes in seems awfully strange.

Another "theory" is that the writer who was basically the "father" of the TRio, Takeshi Shudo, also passed on around this time and perhaps as a sign of respect they are reverting them back to the original incarnations to honor him?

Um...didn't Shudo want them to be like they were before instead of goofy Doronjo, Boyacky, and Tnzura rejects?

Um...didn't Shudo want them to be like they were before instead of goofy Doronjo, Boyacky, and Tnzura rejects?

I think so, but I don't think he would've liked them being turned into souless droids devoid of any emotion or feelings. IIRC, he loved the fact they had such good personalities and a diverse past.

Uh... no. There is no way this wasn't planned. Episodes are written 6 months in advance, so they'd have to literally change things the second the series started. There's just no way this was some fan reaction.

And Shudo died in October, so this isn't because of him. The "black" Rockets will obviously be back later. This is called "letting the viewers know what the hell is going on". Something you guys have been asking for.

Eitarou said:

He didn't like the formulaic steal pokemon - get blasted off thing the writers did, but I never saw anything with him saying that he didn't want them to be comedic villains.

I mean, just look at who all the trio's modeled after. They were meant to be funny from the start.

Musashi said:
The "black" Rockets will obviously be back later.

Maybe, maybe not. I hope the writers don't switch back and forth; it'll get annoying as hell if they do.

This called "letting the viewers know what the hell is going on".

What??

You and others have been hoping there was some explanation for why they were suddenly serious. Well, it looks like this is it. They're showing the viewers they haven't completely changed personalities and are still the same people.

Uh... no. There is no way this wasn't planned. Episodes are written 6 months in advance, so they'd have to literally change things the second the series started. There's just no way this was some fan reaction.

And Shudo died in October, so this isn't because of him. The "black" Rockets will obviously be back later. This is called "letting the viewers know what the hell is going on". Something you guys have been asking for.

I can't seem them switching back and forth, that would get painfully old quickly. It really seems they hastily changed their minds on the direction they were taking Team Rocket, and they wouldn't have to re-write the entire episode to accomodate the change, only the TR scene. As they proved in DP82 with the quick re-animation of the character the broke the copyright, they can also re-animate quickly if that comes to pass, too.

Heck, BW25 even reaffirmed their interest in Pikachu as they spoke specifically about him in the episode. I really think they're truly back in White..and staying.

EDIT: Now I'm starting to think that TR doesn't appear in the 5 BW episodes simply because the writers didn't want us getting used to them that way.

I can't seem them switching back and forth, that would get painfully old quickly. It really seems they hastily changed their minds on the direction they were taking Team Rocket, and they wouldn't have to re-write the entire episode to accomodate the change, only the TR scene. As they proved in DP82 with the quick re-animation of the character the broke the copyright, they can also re-animate quickly if that comes to pass, too.

This isn't some quick fix. They'd have to make entirely new scenes. With all the planning this show has shown it can do, why is it so hard to believe the writers planned this? Did everyone think we'd never get any explanation for what happened?

And what exactly will happen when Plasma comes back? They'll just fight them as their goofy selves? Well, this is what happens when two major episodes get skipped. Maybe this was foreshadowed or something better in BW023 and BW024.

Heck, BW25 even reaffirmed their interest in Pikachu as they spoke specifically about him in the episode. I really think they're truly back in White..and staying.

They said they were interested in Pikachu at the very beginning of BW.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom