• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trademarks appear for "Solgaleo" and "Lunaala"

Regal names for certain.

Very curious finds. I hope this is real since the (Japanese at least) names sound pretty neat.

Shark Lion come through, make all my friends buying moon jealous!!!:ROFLMAO:
J0kWd4j.jpg

Wonder if this means we'll be getting official reveals soon. I hope so. I'd love to try drawing them after they're shown.

We just had Pyroar.. I wonder how they will pull this off without feeling repetitive... Or they just don't mind about it.

When I heard the news I immediately searched for the Leo constellation if it has a counterpart.. I am not sure yet.

Will the legendaries be lion and rabbit? predator and prey? Zootopia-esque theme?

What if the mascots are based on Tsukuyomi, the moon god, and Amaterasu, the sun goddess, which are both rooted in the Shinto mythology?

Unless galeo means something I'm unaware of :x
Its probably more of a reference to Galileo rather than the animal it is based off of, so I wouldn't read too much into the "leo" part. If names are indicative of what the Pokemon is, then I have a more solid argument that its humanoid.

If the Sun Legndary is a Lion, and the moon legendary is a Bird/winged creature....Azoth Confirmed?

Well Galeo is a word for shark attack n Spanish and Greek, so that would fit more with Lunaala being from the Spanish word of wing. What I mean is that so far, all the trios since gen 4 have a connection n naming thing, be it the suffix or how they sound together, like the gen 6 trio being very Celtic. Sooooo,Sun Shark and Moon wings. I wonder what mytha involve the sun, the moon, a shark ,and a flying creature.

Just going to quote what I wrote in the other thread regarding this subject.

I may have to eat my words regarding the lion legendary if it turns out to be true.

Solgaleo - Sol is "sun" and "leo" does mean lion, and the possible "Galileo" reference sounds very interesting.
Lunaala - "Luna" means moon of course. "Ala" is latin for wing, so perhaps it's winged? Some kind of bird?
Gigareki - The "giga" could be the metric 'giga', there is also a giga kanji that means "large or giant". Also "reki" means calendar or era.
Atsumari - There's a lot of things this could be. "Atsu" means heat or passion, "Tsumari" means conclusion, "mari" means ball, like the toy.
Mokurou - I know "moku" means wood and "kurou" means crow or blackbird.

Solgaleo sounds super cool and Lunaala sounds more majestic in comparison. I also got the same Galileo vibe when I read its name. Lion seems more likely now and lunar wing could be anything like a bird, moth, bat, fairy, dragon or whatever else I guess.

Also for anyone that's unsure about trademarks there was a similar situation back before XY with Gekkouga (Greninja), Brigaron (Chesnaught), Zygarde (though this one was translated as Jigarude), Horubii (Bunnelby) and more so this sort of thing does happen. Although people who translated those names thought that Gekkouga would be a lunar moth, Brigaron an ice wolf and Horubii would be a digging bee so I wouldn't say that lion is confirmed because of this (though it does look likely).

At least the two wolves idea seems unlikely now :p

Another thing that is very unlikely at this point is the usage or reusage of Lugia and Ho-oh.

hmmm? leo.
Fire/psychic ,
fire/fairy,
fire/stell speedster?

Solgaleo sounds super cool and Lunaala sounds more majestic in comparison. I also got the same Galileo vibe when I read its name. Lion seems more likely now and lunar wing could be anything like a bird, moth, bat, fairy, dragon or whatever else I guess.

Honestly, I just hope Solgaleo is based off of a sun shark. A lion sounds boring. s:

The genus name Cirrhigaleus is derived from the Latin "cirrus" which means curl fringe and the Greek "galeo" meaning a shark. The species name asper is derived from Latin, meaning rough.

Here in case anyone missed it.

EDIT: The whole thing could also mean nothing as well - Serebii pointed out that the trademarks aren't registered by Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc., but by an IP lawyer in Japan

I would rather the Moon legendary not be a 'Moon rabbit' as we already pretty much have Magearna, man-made or not, as our little moon rabbitty thing lol (well at least that's what the ears depict).

Also I'd be overjoyed if the Moon legend was either Fairy/Flying, Water/Fairy, Dark/Fairy ect.
Solgaleo is an awesome name. If these turn out to be legit, I'm interested to see how they will translate... Solgleon, Galeosol?

Ooooh, and April is over in like 10 days, then it's the build up to Corocoro once again, THIS time actually starting the S/M features. :D

Back
Top Bottom