• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trading Database -- *Concept*

Aetherius

Spherical Ingrate
Reaction score
Hey all,

In work I'm currently developing an online booking-registration system using PHP and MySQL, but today I had a stroke of (possible) genius.

How about an online system where everyone registers, lists their *available for trade pokemon* and their *needed pokemon* then the database can be browsed by any member, and trades can be arranged with the system forwarding friend codes and arranging times automatically.

Kinda like a browser-based multi-function GTS

Any ideas/comments,

(even better anyone here that can code and wants to help?)

PM me

Aeth

I've been thinking it up in my head for a very long time, and I'd love to help.

You would be very welcome to. I'm pretty good with my PHP and I've got a database for a head so I've a pretty good idea where to start.

Since I posted this I created a MySQL National pokedex, haha, a good place to start I thought.

You got any form of IM to discuss?

Sounds like an awesome idea, guys! :D

I wish Nintendo had something like this on their site... but then again, this could be a good thing for Bulbagarden. Imagine how popular it would be if this site was the only one who implemented such an idea! :D I'm guessing you have your own web space to play around with, am I right?

I'm no good with PHP, and you can fit what I know about SQL in a thimble, lol. But I'm rooting for ya! ;)

Yeah, i can't move without tripping over my own webspace :p

morale support is need WAY more than actual help :D

You'd probably have to speak with Archaic or Mozz since they run the website. It's a good idea though.

Mozz does things? I thought he was just the figure head. XD

Pie, Archaic and Zhen Lin are good people to start with, imo.

And yes, messenger info is in my profile, but I see you have Skype.... I'll add you.

Bulbagarden has been wanting to start a project such as this, but we have limited people with PHP and other web coding knowledge. Anyone who can contribute should PM Archaic or Zhen Lin. :)

well PHP and whatnot is my life and career :p

I'm gonna run with it and see what I can do on my own,but I'll also PM the big guys and see what we can do together. I'll happily raise the Bulbagarden Banner ;)

I'm gonna kinda use this thread as an update roll if noone minds, that way you can all know whats going on and it'll spur me not to get lazy ;)

---- 24th May 2007 ----

Set up user management system, handling:
-------- User Logins
-------- Personal Details
-------- Personal Pokedex
-------- Pokemon Offers
-------- Pokemon Wishlist

Whats Next??
-------- Search function (dual, search wishlist and offers)
-------- Messaging sub-system
-------- Front page statistics (most wanted, most common, etc)

Needed!!
-------- Pokemon Sprites (in a clear well named code friendly format, i.e. mini143.png, male143.png, female143.png would all be snorlax, preferably high qual pngs)
-------- Fancy site graphics (i'm fully capable of doing this, but it'll take a severe back seat until the site works 100%, unless someone else is interested in doing it)

Keep ya posted.

Later

What is it you mean by "Personal Pokedex"? You don't expect the users to fill in every Pokemon they have in their games, do you?

Other than that, this is a good idea - I've got the beginnings of such a project sitting on my hard drive as it is (not that I've touched it for months). But Serebii and apparently Smogon are both plowing ahead with the same idea, so you'll be up against pretty much the toughest competition you'll find - the biggest general Pokemon site and the biggest competitive site...

Good luck. :p

Eevee/Veekun has a tarball of all the sprites from D/P here: http://veekun.com/dex/resources

nah, the pokedex is a single click "i caught it" affair so people can help you finish your pokedex. well thats the idea.

god bless tarballs ;)

Good to have the support of a fellow Islander and man of webmastery ;)

You don't have any more details on serebii's and smogon's attempts do ya?

Well, Serebii's isn't meant to be officially known, but everybody does anyway, and I know nothing of Smogon's past the statement on their holding page while they're server switching.

Where abouts in NI are you from anyways? You a culchie? :p

Wow, that personal Pokedex sounds AMAZING, it's basically a nicer version of my Pedia page;

urlcut.com/harleydex

From Park, if you know it, educated in Derry (or L'Derry if you prefer) now living in Belfast

If you need the Pokémon sprites... well, we have most of them on the Pedia. Not all of them, I assume, because recently I've found a few that were still using the 64 x 64 gif images from RSE and not the 80 x 80 pngs from DP... But we have most of them.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom