• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Traditional games put on hold?

Reaction score
Bulbanews Editorial

For the time being I see little reason to expand on the topic, although I do assure you that I have restricted my verbosity a great deal. It is my hope that others initiate the discussion.

I will only say that somewhere in the article lies the answer for the mystery of the Diamond and Pearl contest dating back to December. I trust that this will serve an incentive for less enthusiastic readers, but at the same time, I do not wish for this to turn into a discussion on the specific matter. You are guaranteed to infer the negative context in which the tidbit is mentioned.

I hope we don't end up with the Pokemon version fo Duke Nukeum Forever. :p

They could ateast give us a release date, rather than saying it will be out in 2006. WHEN in 2006? Even what month would be alright.

Guys, just think about it. In the time that the FireRed/LeafGreen/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald quest in NOT finished yet, it wouldn't be possible to release Diamond/Pearl yet... I mean, Mew, Celebi and even Lugia and Ho-oh Tickets are not available in Europe yet! In which way could they bring Diamond/Pearl yet and still taking care of old games would be difficult. I know that we all can't wait and I feel your way myself but there's something in Nintendo that when it releases a game delayed it always end up as a legendary game (see Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Hunters and many more). Anyway, I can't wait myself for even a screen! I hope in the next CoroCoro's we'll see some things :D

I have one thing to say: E3

I'm sure we'll learn more then.

Sorry but I have to disagree... According to the other Pokemon Games, E3 wasn't really the first to reveal staff about it; CoroCoro was. In my point of view, we won't see any more "big information" till Summer.

I fear the article's outline creates the impression of an elaborate rant on Diamond and Pearl's excessive delay. That could not be any farther from the main idea conveyed.

I ask that anyone interested in discussing the topic please read the editorial from beginning to end. I am not looking for glory-hogging or anything of the sort, but I genuinely believe it is impossible to understand my viewpoint without investing some time. I openly confess to having the flaw of making life difficult when communicating my thoughts, but I also think the title of the article and the fact it contains the answer to questions on the CoroCoro contest, should be enough to persuade anyone to read it fully. Honestly speaking, I would to feel that I have written all of this in vain.

What are we supposed to discuss? You made it clear in the editorial that the contest results do not give us any important information. The games will come when they come, sometime later this year.

The only thing this says to me is that we are not getting any more D/P info next issue, or it is supposed we won't. I am willing to be more patient with them simply because the last one gave us types of the pokemon. Besides, movie info could be useful, too. We still do not have any idea what Manaphy's power is. Just to learn that would count in my eyes.

FabuVinny said:
I have one thing to say: E3

I'm sure we'll learn more then.

Unfortunately I think Pokemon Ranger (and maybe even Mysterious Dungeon) will keep any new portible pokemon News. I think there is a possiblity of a tech demo or a spin-off game for the Revolution though.

I see this as a good thing. GameFreak is actually taking their time with D/P, rather then rushing out rehashes. A lot of people complained when R/S first came out that it was "more of the same."

Let's hope all this extra development time really does make D/P something new and exciting, rather than "more of the same."

I was wrong to expect the discussion to ensue in the direction I desired. I would not dare presume to have the right of insisting that everyone follow my trail, but it is precisely for this that I endeavored to allure potential readers - not with flying colors, it would appear.

The matter at hand has preoccupied me since Emerald was released, but it frightens me that I am alone in viewing the 'matter' as such. I set out to write an article in a form that can easily be passed off as out of place; it is the only means available to me in order to highlight facts and pieces of insight without which there is no point to this discussion. If truth be told, I had to find the balance between an elegant presentation and a clear-cut argument, and it must be glaringly apparent that I am inclined to the former.

I would personally like to think the article is such that one can very well be fixated upon one paragraph, discontinuing the flow of reading. Admittedly, this is a flaw, but I question whether any divergence from normative thinking could truly be solved without fail.

Please do read the editorial again, paying greater attention to the last few paragraphs.

Um, you just seem to be stating the obvious. I don't really see any argument or whatever in there.

I have clearly failed at getting the point across even remotely.

If I were to settle for four paragraphs, taken out of an in-depth context, the editorial would comprise of the following:
The period of time surrounding the tenth anniversary of the Japanese release of Pokémon Red and Green is, in an ironic twist of fate, the poorest in terms of gratifying veteran players and avid fans of the series.
Is the The Path to Diamond and Pearl limited to Trozei, Mysterious Dungeon and Ranger? It seems as though the majority of fans are, again, inclined to ignore that which presents difficulty. It is true that the Game Boy Advance scenario from last year turned out to be relatively unsubstantive, but could the possibility of another game make the entire difference here?
The Wireless Communication service culminated in September, when the Old Sea Chart was distributed at PokéPark through the Nintendo DS. This proved that the Nintendo DS is capable of handling transmission meant for the Wireless Adapter, essentially opening a window of opportunity for utilizing Pokémon FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald in a new way. As an interesting fact, the service had been dispensed with altogether before the Nintendo DS' Wi-Fi debuted.
But even now proper news is not in sight; that should raise suspicion and not be treated with indifference. Supposing the last addition to Generation III is in plan for the very near future, The Path to Diamond and Pearl may finally be put into perspective as the steps are trod from one generation to its successor.
If this is so apparent to all of you, I wonder why it is that not once have I seen the points addressed by fellow fans on English and Japanese forums alike.

I have read this thread in both here and Serebii, and I can only say that this is only creating a lot of hoopla, making people demand information, when it just doesn't work that way. I thought that once Ranger was released that the window for D/P would be open, but it is apparent that I was wrong. Evidently, the 9th movie marks the end of the road, as far as we know it. I am as frustrated with the lack of info as the next person, but I think we just need to slack off on trying to guess when we will get information, and just have patience for whenever someone does decide we will get information.

As for some game hidden from us for whatever reason, I do not like conspiracy theories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sceptile726 said:
I have read this thread in both here and Serebii, and I can only say that this is only creating a lot of hoopla, making people demand information, when it just doesn't work that way.
I would certainly not describe the discussion held in Serebii's forum as a "hoopla". Anyone who wishes to demand for information can freely do so without considering my editorial, which deals with a separate subject.

I knew in advance that only a limited number of readers would pay respect by contributing to the discussion I started, but never did I imagine they would not come from Bulbagarden. Forgive me if this offends anyone, but I do believe I have earned my right of criticism.

Ok, I might have been more harsh than I should've been. You made some points that I did not consider before in the other thread. As interesting as they are, though, I still think that we have no window of time left in which another game would fit. You might say that last year's delay would've been enough time to make a game besides D/P, and it could be, and Nintendo silenced it in favor of promoting its Path project. We can't know for sure. Even if there is one, I still think it's too late. It would have to depend on how close together you want this last addition to gen III and D/P to be. My calculations suggest there would be a shorter gap than there was between FR/LG and E. (the shortest time gap between currently existing main games, which was over 7 months) Also, I do not see what great advantage the revival of wireless communication with the Wonder News feature would serve. Unless I missed something, a GBA game can't run its wireless feature through the DS, and why would a third game to FR/LG be made into a DS card? It would be a waste of space if it was made into a DS card. I did like the idea of contests in Kanto. They would either have to redesign some of the cities/towns to fit a contest house, or put it all in one location, like Emerald. There was a lot of other stuff that I just don't understand, though, like what does the 10th anniversary have to do with it? Would it really make that much of a difference? I would've thought that to make a difference, these additions should've been done earlier. Have the Path games really been so dismissed in Japan? Finally, the thing about the 5 games from the tournament. It has become more and more doubtful we will get Mysterious Dungeon. If we don't, then we will have quite a gap to fill. Assuming the list included Trozei, then we could be without MD and a hidden game be put in its place. If it doesn't include Trozei, however, then we will have to get MD and there will be no place for another game. Given that Trozei was only recently released in America, though, it is still "new", and the first instance still applies. You have a valid point, and indeed as you fear, it hangs on the edge of a knife.

Sceptile726 said:
Even if there is one, I still think it's too late. It would have to depend on how close together you want this last addition to gen III and D/P to be. My calculations suggest there would be a shorter gap than there was between FR/LG and E. (the shortest time gap between currently existing main games, which was over 7 months)
The Japanese release of Emerald showed us that a two-month period, if not less, is sufficient for advertising a deliberately-concealed game. The English release of XD showed us that a game can be advertised in Japan and outside it simultaneously, and that the translation process can be finalized within two months' time. Nothing should surprise us anymore.

Also, I do not see what great advantage the revival of wireless communication with the Wonder News feature would serve. Unless I missed something, a GBA game can't run its wireless feature through the DS, and why would a third game to FR/LG be made into a DS card? It would be a waste of space if it was made into a DS card.
The PokéPark Mew distribution method proves otherwise. The Nintendo DS is capable of handling transmission meant for the Wireless Adapter in some indirect form; the Wireless Adapter relays the transmitted data (Wonder Card or Wonder News) directly to the game, whereas the Nintendo DS receives the data through its Download Play mode. While this is being done, the GBA game is inserted. The Download Play data can then be launched into the inserted game, as if manipulating the game into thinking the Wireless Adapter is being used. You can view screenshots showing the process here.

This method already applies to FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald, but one must wonder why it has not been put to use more than once. Furthermore, the Wi-Fi service changes the picture entirely. Thus far, the service has been incorporated into designated games, but why would the Download Play mode be incompatible? Hackers have been able to distribute official demos to Nintendo DS users through the Internet since long before the service's debut.

As for the third game itself, its release would trigger the revival of the Wireless Communication (Joyspot) service, only in conjunction with the Wi-Fi service. It would also be unique in comparison to the current three games, as it would offer direct communication through the Nintendo DS in addition to extending Mystery Gift. In other words, Link Battles, Trades, Union Room, Contests, Mini-Games and other such features would acquire the added dimension of online communication. The game, however, would be a GBA card carrying the Game Boy Advance title. You may have noticed that the back of the non-Japanese Emerald box bears the Nintendo DS logo, yet the booklet states as follows:
  • NOTE: Although you can enjoy this game on your Nintendo DS, the ability to link up, trade, and battle with other versions of Pokémon is only available when you are playing on a Game Boy Advance.
In other words, the non-Japanese version of Emerald is identical to the Japanese, being limited in its use on the Nintendo DS. If to make comparison with the non-Japanese version of Yellow, the game was a Game Boy title in name, but made use of a flourish color palette when used on the Game Boy Color. I am proposing that the same be done with the third game in regard to the Nintendo DS's communication.
I did like the idea of contests in Kanto. They would either have to redesign some of the cities/towns to fit a contest house, or put it all in one location, like Emerald.
One contest house equivalent to that of Lilycove City should be more than enough. One would suspect the location to be Four Island, where the following Pokémon Journal can be read in FireRed and LeafGreen:
  • The Spring Pokémon Contest's Grand Champion is Daisy Oak of Pallet Town!
That said, Five Island's Pokémon Journal refers to Lorelei, yet Lorelei is found on Four Island. It could be that the contest house would be situated on Three Island instead, whose village is fairly vacant. This would allow players to participate in contests prior to defeating the Elite Four, which is possible in Emerald.

Have the Path games really been so dismissed in Japan?
In terms of sales, they have not been dismissed, which is near-impossible given the extent of their advertisement. In terms of interest spurred in veteran players, you can judge it yourself from the lack of discussion on the content of these games. Whether from Japan or outside, veteran players hold the same general opinion.

Finally, the thing about the 5 games from the tournament. It has become more and more doubtful we will get Mysterious Dungeon. If we don't, then we will have quite a gap to fill. Assuming the list included Trozei, then we could be without MD and a hidden game be put in its place. If it doesn't include Trozei, however, then we will have to get MD and there will be no place for another game. Given that Trozei was only recently released in America, though, it is still "new", and the first instance still applies. You have a valid point, and indeed as you fear, it hangs on the edge of a knife.
The options are more varied than that; the prizes will be handed in August, and it begs to be asked whether Diamond and Pearl can be offered so ahead from their English release date, which will undoubtedly fall into 2007. Official Nintendo sources from the UK and Australia have purported the release of Mysterious Dungeon; it is still uncertain, but more probable than an early Diamond/Pearl release date by leaps and bounds. Trozei itself was released after the document indicating the five-game deal, so there is as much room for including it in the list as there is not. If the Mysterious Dungeon games are included, it may only be the Blue version as it is redundant to play both (the sole difference between Red and Blue is the system; the Nintendo DS system will be one of the other prizes offered to the winners).

While I am undecided about the selection of games, the only option for there not to be a third game involved is the most unlikely one: Mysterious Dungeon Red, Mysterious Dungeon Blue, Ranger, Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
I suppose it is possible, then. I never had a GBASP, so I never got to experience a lit screen. Experiencing this for the first time on the DS made me so happy that I could finally see. It's now the only way I play my GBA pokemon games. I do suppose anyone that has an SP would not necessarily think the same way, and making trading possible on the DS would help.

I really think that the fact that Path has been so ignored is a crying shame, though. I would've thought that MD all by itself could bring fans to the DS without hesitation, but evidently not. I'm not exactly a vet myself, though. I've only been playing pokemon for about half of its existence. I know that the spinoffs never do as well as the main series, but this one seems different. This is the only time that any of the spinoffs has managed to get even my attention, and I know that millions of Americans, Europeans, and Australians would love to get their hands on MD and Ranger. I only got Trozei because I was bored, but it was actually more fun than I thought it would be for a while. That isn't what matters, though, it's the Japanese market more than anything. I only know the opinion of the boards I have seen, and none of them could reflect that market. If Altomare Latios of Serebii could shed some light on the subject, I'd like to hear it, but I'm not sure if even he knows. I only know that the general consensus of a lot of the fanbase here is that Pokemon is getting tired. It needed some radically new concepts, and MD and Ranger were it. I do know that Pokemon is not as tired in Japan. It is just as popular as it was years ago. That could possibly explain why Path was not so well recieved, and they are just as impatient for a main series game as we are. If this is what would be well received in Japan, I would deeply consider it. It probably would not be so well received here, but I don't think they would be too concerned about that. To tell the truth, I'm not so sure D/P will be well received here, either, but nonetheless, we know of its impending arrival. All we can do is watch and wait.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom