• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Trailers and News Discussion

Arylett Charnoa

Fey Flower
Reaction score
My thoughts on the trailer boil down to:

"FINALLY THE MIDDLE STARTER EVOS!"

That was the most relevant feature to me. I kind of forgot everything else in it, but that's okay, I'll probably try out these new features and understand them better once I get the actual game.

As for my thoughts on the starter evos, I like Brionne and Torracat. Brionne resembles that leaked evolution, leading more to it being confirmed and making me quite pleased because I absolutely adore that thing's design. But it is also a solid middle evolution on its own. It's quite cute and I love that skirt. Torracat has a fire bell and I adore that as well. It is also cute and I prefer its design to Litten. Kinda has a body shape similar to a lynx, in my opinion. But knowing that it'll probably evolve into that muscle-bound strong man... of course, I'm still hoping that there are split evolutions as there are with Rockruff because I'd love to see them continue the bell theme. (Maybe it'll become a lynx for the other evolution!)

Then there's Dartrix... I don't like it. I didn't like Rowlet either. At least its proportions are more realistic. But I just forsee this thing becoming even more of an annoying meme like Rowlet did.

Also, I'll probably be playing that demo. Just too curious not to. But I could care less about Ash-Greninja. Except for the fact that it makes no sense. Why is it called Ash-Greninja if they're emphasizing a bond with you yourself and NOT Ash? They could've at least had a different name if they had to use that design. But honestly, I see no reason for it to be in the game. Its concept makes no sense because it is exclusive to a single anime character. Unless they bring Ash into the games... and I would not like that, to be honest. I've been trying to disassociate these two canons for a long time and having the anime shoved in my face like that is quite displeasing. I guess they're just doing it for tie-in merchandising or something. Not a huge deal, but still annoying in the way that them giving Pikachu its anime voice in X/Y is annoying.

Last edited:

Arceus the Dragon

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Dartrix is my favorite. Pikachu's voice in XY was fine by me. Agree that we don't need Ash in the games especially as we have Red instead. They should have change the name of the Greninja form too.

TouyaShiro

[LIMITER] [DISC] [SAVE] [SYSTEM ERROR]
Reaction score
Food for thought. What if they called it Ash-Greninja because the Special Demo for Sun & Moon ties into the anime and explains why the heck Ash has to say goodbye to Greninja? I mean, I could be saying this in the anime board too but IDK, I don't hang there often.

BigBadButterfree

the Destroyer
Reaction score
Dartrix is my favorite. Pikachu's voice in XY was fine by me. Agree that we don't need Ash in the games especially as we have Red instead. They should have change the name of the Greninja form too.
This was my biggest problem with it. I don't mind the form at all, it's new and different and probably cool. But to call it Ash-Greninja in a different canon where we are to believe that Ash doesn't exist just seems... wrong. If it were simply just Bond-Greninja (...James Bond-Gren...), lol no, seriously, just anything that doesn't reference Ash plz thnx.

Side note, Pikachu's voice in gen VI hurts me on a mental level. I can't stand the voices in the anime and I like to think Pokemon make more realistic sounds than simply their name. Then XY had to ruin that with pikachu. Luckily it doesn't look like they are any time soon, but if they decide to give that treatment to every Pokemon... euch, I don't even wanna think of that.

Kyriaki

Lovely
Reaction score
I love Brionne ♡

People complaining about Brionne looking girly must have forgotten about Kirlia and Gardevoir, especially when the latter even developed a ballroom dress in its mega evolution form. Iirc people hardly complained about male Gardevoirs and it was one of the most-used in online competitions, and now people are complaining about Brionne wearing a frilly dress? What's the difference between that and Kirlia's tutu?

Also, can't wait for the demo :D

Last edited:

PinkIceFox

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
They're probably upset because it's a starter and they wanted the water starter to look a certain way and since it doesn't fit their preconceived ideal of what the starter would look best as, they kneejerk and automatically hate it right away.

The Outrage

Reaction score
I love Brionne ♡

People complaining about Brionne looking girly must have forgotten about Kirlia and Gardevoir, especially when the latter even developed a ballroom dress in its mega evolution form. Iirc people hardly complained about male Gardevoirs and it was one of the most-used in online competitions, and now people are complaining about Brionne wearing a frilly dress? What's the difference between that and Kirlia's tutu?

You must be misremembering or weren't part of the community that far back...a lot of people complained about male Gardevoir. The only difference is that its been around since Gen III, and we had a male evolution since Gen IV, so people gave up.

emilsn91

Reaction score
We could also wait and see if they make a male version of it. imo they only need to scale down the eyelashes. :)

Kirby4ever

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
Female Machop line, female Seedot line, Male, Bellossom, Male Lopunny and Buneary, male Skitty line, female Infernape, female Poliwrath, female Blaziken, male Milotic, male Glameow line, female Embore and pignight, female Darantan, female Tumbber line, male Gothita line, hemale Zoroark, and female Scafty line all says hi and no one comaplains about then and now people are Bironne. If you never complained about the Pokemon mentioned and then you started complaining about Pokemon gender mixups now even though Pokemon having genders since generation two.

Kyriaki

Lovely
Reaction score
You must be misremembering or weren't part of the community that far back...a lot of people complained about male Gardevoir. The only difference is that its been around since Gen III, and we had a male evolution since Gen IV, so people gave up.
I wasn't part of the community back then. But really disappointing to hear that because I thought it wasn't that much of a big deal.

jonathan keller

Reaction score
I love Brionne ♡

Because Ralts was not a starter. Why are you going to give a 50/50 chance of a starter being a boy or girl when it's evolutions seem to be incredibly feminine.

Even a male gardevoir was weird, because it was basically a dude in a dress. But back to my point, if it's a boy or girl pokemon and not just boy or just girl then give it neutral looking evolutions. Just look at bulbasaur, it can be a boy or girl, but look at ivysaur. It doesn't look too masculine or too feminine. Same goes with charmander when it evolves into charmeleon. But the popplio line looks way too feminine, they even go so far as to put girl eyelashes on brionne to emphazize that it's female. Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter.

Aromatic Mist

Achilles' Heal
Reaction score
Because Ralts was not a starter. Why are you going to give a 50/50 chance of a starter being a boy or girl when it's evolutions seem to be incredibly feminine.

Even a male gardevoir was weird, because it was basically a dude in a dress. But back to my point, if it's a boy or girl pokemon and not just boy or just girl then give it neutral looking evolutions. Just look at bulbasaur, it can be a boy or girl, but look at ivysaur. It doesn't look too masculine or too feminine. Same goes with charmander when it evolves into charmeleon. But the popplio line looks way too feminine, they even go so far as to put girl eyelashes on brionne to emphazize that it's female. Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter.
There's plenty of flamboyant male animals in nature, so I don't see point in fretting over the gender of a fictional sea lion tbh.

It's not a human. Why should it have to conform to gender norms?

jonathan keller

Reaction score
There's plenty of flamboyant male animals in nature, so I don't see point in fretting over the gender of a fictional sea lion tbh.

It's not a human. Why should it have to conform to gender norms?
Because if it's a male but the pokemon clearly looks feminine like in brionne's case. Then it's basically a cross-dressing pokemon. Just keep it all female

TouyaShiro

[LIMITER] [DISC] [SAVE] [SYSTEM ERROR]
Reaction score
Why are you going to give a 50/50 chance of a starter being a boy or girl when it's evolutions seem to be incredibly feminine
It's actually 87.5/12.5 because starter ratio is 7:1 for male to female, respectively.

To be honest all it's going to produce is more fanart, lol.

Aromatic Mist

Achilles' Heal
Reaction score
Flamingoes are only pink because of the food they eat. Nice try.
They're still feminine looking regardless of how they get that pink colouring. My point is, animals and their appearance, genetic or otherwise, don't have to fit human gender norms because they don't have a concept of that.

And there's plenty of animals that flip gender norms besides flamingos ;)

jonathan keller

Reaction score
They're still feminine looking regardless of how they get that pink colouring. My point is, animals and their appearance, genetic or otherwise, don't have to fit human gender norms because they don't have a concept of that.

And there's plenty of animals that flip gender norms besides flamingos ;)
So.. you might as well say all birds look feminine. Heck, even cats look feminine. I don't see your point there.

However you saying that some animals do change genders throughout their life cycles is a good argument

Aromatic Mist

Achilles' Heal
Reaction score
So.. you might as well say all birds look feminine. Heck, even cats look feminine. I don't see your point there.

However you saying that some animals do change genders throughout their life cycles is a good argument
That's exactly my point though. Animals can look masculine or feminine and be any sex, because they arguably don't even have a sense of gender in the first place, never mind human gender.