• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Trailers and News Discussion

Tente

#JusticeForRotation
Reaction score
So this trailer confirmed that Wally has some kind of growth defect? One that makes it so you don't grow past a certain age, I forget the actual name. Well, either that or it's more Gen1 pandering, sacrificing sense. One or the other. Although I'm fine with Cynthia not changing, I mean she was already a grown adult, I didn't think she'd really change or anything.

Anywho... Grass/Ghost?! What? xD Putting that on the Number 1 spot on the list of "Typings That Make No Sense". Still, Decidueye was my favourite when I first saw the leaks and it still is. Looks so freaking amazing. 2nd favourite starter after Infernape. The other types were on-point, though.

And Cosmog :D So adorable! The Japanese trailer has a few overworld scenes with it and it's just so cute. Can't wait to see exactly how it fits into the story, although it being taken care of by Aether makes me think it'll have some sort of connection to UBs and maybe even Type:Null.

Another thing that surprised me is the Tapu types. Bird Keeper Toby had a video speculating the islands' names and the guardians, theorizing that the guardians and Oricorio's types would match up. Well, half of them do, at least.
Agree with everything you said. I went from caring literally zero about Cosmog to really loving it, and finding it endearing and exciting when I saw it in the trailer; I'm glad it's playing a role in the storyline

Blockhead Pippi

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
Apparently Incineroar is a big softie on the inside -

Quote from official website "When it receives the admiration of young Pokémon and children, it may keep up its cold attitude on the outside, but in its heart of hearts, Incineroar is immensely happy. It loses the desire to fight when faced with a Pokémon that’s clearly weak or injured, and it sometimes gets taken advantage of as a result."

In another news, Incineroar plays dirty by attacking opponent trainers as well.
That settles it. I want one.

Shadao

Pikachu's Global Adventure
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I really am not a big of Red's new design. Do they honestly have to make him frown all the time? And the body structure is something I need to get use to (perhaps I've redesign Ash to accommodate these changes). I made it no secret that I am not a big fan of Red's Gen III design, particularly with his non-smiling face and generic look. I always like the classic look, with that cocky smirk and obviously Japanese based. Really wish they stuck with that.

TouyaShiro

[LIMITER] [DISC] [SAVE] [SYSTEM ERROR]
Reaction score
This is my response to Incineroar:

Other than that, I've said most of my thoughts on Discord, but they essentially come to this: Interesting proposition with the Island Guardians and a shared Z-Crystal and Z-Move... Wonder what move activates it? And on top of that, the typings are unexpected for a lot of mons! My boy Decidueye's lookin' pretty nice and reaffirms my belief that it's basically Kamen Rider Ghost Robin Damashii.

And as for the Battle Tree... Cynthia's looking a bit smaller than what we thought she looked like.

And then... RED DID NOT GROW A BEARD

Cute Charm

GAME FOOTAGE NOT FINAL
Reaction score
  • Wally not looking any different gets a free pass regardless if ORAS was bumped up in the timeline or not. Kid's been sick. For all we know he's going to be short and skinny for the rest of his life. Cynthia still probably has a few good years of her youth left. She's like what 27-35 range now? Anime characters don't visibly age again until they reach 40.
  • I'm sorry, but I still don't like incineroar. My problem has been with the design and not the typing it looked like. It would have been better if either it's previous evolutions were bipedal or if it only stood on two feet when attacking. Quadroped fire starters 2019!
  • Still love Premarina and Decidueye though. The ghost came out of nowhere, but it's still pretty interesting.
  • So...about cosmog...does this mean the
    it is a pre-evolution to both box legendaries considering it's psychic and has cut scenes dedicated to it?

Last edited:

Peachy

Disappointment
Reaction score
I've had my opinion of the final staters locked in since they were leaked months ago, but it's nice finally learning their types and names. Cosmog is a cutie and I love it so much. The Tapus are cool but I doubt I', ever going to use them.

I like the redesigns of Red and Blue, but I don't like how they're still keeping Red mute though. Honestly I think Wally didn't get touched up because they had just redesigned him and didn't want to do it again. Cynthia is weird though, they had a chance to touch her up but even her eyes are still in the old human art style. Hopefully this means all of their respective battle themes get remixed again.

Alola

ᵢₙ ₜₕₑ ₙₐₘₑ ₒf ₜₕₑ ₘₒₒₙ...
Reaction score
THIS TRAILER! BEST YET! SO HYPE! FINAL EVOLUTIONS AND COOL TYPINGS! THE APATHETIC TAPUS! AND SOME OF THE BEST CHARACTERS ARE BACK (CYNTHIA, GREEN, WALLY AND FREAKING RED! RED GREW UP! RED IS 2O LIKE ME WUT)!

Mitchman

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
So lets tally up content in terms of story, gameplay, and post trials:
7 Island Trials
4 Grand Trials
Team Skull
Aether Foundation
The Ultra Beast threat
Cosmog
The Tapu 4 and their Ruins
The Battle Tree
A possible League and Gym Challenge

That right there is one hell of a line up for a Pokemon game, this is straight up 3rd version/sequel content thrown right into the 1st Iteration versions, and with the games being so plot heavy, it could certainly take a while to complete it. I said this in the League thread, I definitely think the Alola League will be there as a way to level up, offer a second tier of challenges, and continue the plot so that it has enough breathing room. No way they can pace out the amount of story it seemingly has in almost the same amount of time previous games struggled to piece together a much simpler story, and like how Aether is a twist and the real threat to Alola, gyms will be the mirrror to em as the real challenge in the games. Always been more focused on the single player aspect of the games, so this is all a giant rush for me.

conqueror

Reaction score
GRASS/FLYING owl evolved to GRASS/GHOST owl!!! The best surprise for starter ever, I'm just amazed with the concept! No question who will be the starter for my team!!!!! And the other news of the last trailer are fantastic! Kudos to gamefreak, they amazed me while I was starting to be disappointed with the games. Now I feel they worth the money I spent for two steelbook editions (sun +moon) and the limited strategy guide vault.

Uhane

Reaction score
Had built my team on the assumption that Rowlet3 (Decidueye? is that how you say it? god knows how its pronounced) was part Flying time to redo it :/

So Oricorio which doesnt evolve and Pikipek line are the only ones who are part flying?

Alola

ᵢₙ ₜₕₑ ₙₐₘₑ ₒf ₜₕₑ ₘₒₒₙ...
Reaction score
Had built my team on the assumption that Rowlet3 (Decidueye? is that how you say it? god knows how its pronounced) was part Flying time to redo it :/

So Oricorio which doesnt evolve and Pikipek line are the only ones who are part flying?
Deh-cih-du-eye

And it seems that way, at least in terms of final Alolan evolution. As of now.

Eggseggseggseggs

Eggseggs Eggseggs
Reaction score
Does that new league remind anyone else of Mt. Battle?
Yes actually. I see what you mean.

No comments on grey garfield.
I think there is a lot to say about Nermal personally!

Like how GF shouldn't base their pokemon off of him.

Interesting how the sub-types of the Gen 7 starters beat their counterparts in Gen 6.

Flying/Ghost vs Fighting

Dark vs Psychic

Fairy vs Dark

.....I wonder why?
Yeah I noticed this a while back. It would still work even if it was still grass flying even.

gotta wonder why Wally looks the same as ORAS. RSE took place around the same time as RBYFRLG so I don't think ORAS was a decade+ after the originals?
So this trailer confirmed that Wally has some kind of growth defect? One that makes it so you don't grow past a certain age, I forget the actual name. Well, either that or it's more Gen1 pandering, sacrificing sense. One or the other. Although I'm fine with Cynthia not changing, I mean she was already a grown adult, I didn't think she'd really change or anything.
Wally not aging at all while Red and Blue have by a good 10 years is inconsistent. I hope that Silver receives favoritism, too.

They probably battle in the Battle Tree since the website says that some of the trainers there have completed the island challenge. Only the trial captains are known to have done so.

As for other returning characters, I don't expect to see gym leaders, but Elite Four members and rivals would help the Battle Tree not look like a downgraded version of the PWT. I hope that none of the Kalos "rivals" return, though. The only one that would make sense has a non-canon gender.

They're tied to the Battle Tree.
Ah! So you can battle Cynthia (and Wally) too! Thanks for the link.

I just wanna put out there that it's possible that ORAS takes place not long before XY and that Wally simply hasn't changed much. Since this is a new universe ORAS could have been moved up closer to the new games in this timeline, like FR&LG and HG&SS got moved up in the other timeline before it.

I was definitely not expecting them to reveal all the guardians already, GF really doesn't like surprises, do they? I know we already knew them from the datamine, but it would still have been more fun if their types had stayed secret for a while imo. I don't care much for them really, Tapu Koko is still the best by far. Don't hate them though, the idea is fun and them all having a terrain ability is cool. That Z-move though :/ Never touching that.

Cosmog is the cutest thing ever, I love it.
Personally I think Tapu Lele is the cutest thing ever! :X3: Also I think the Z move is pretty freakin cool. Probably my fav so far, or at least up there with the ghost one.

More likely only Red and Green because of the 20th anniversary crap they're doing lately.
Well we have Wally.

For those that thought that Rowlet's final evolution would keep the Grass/Flying type all the way without doubt. For the rest, Incineroar is a keep for me and is going to be my starter for sure now, and Primarina is also great looking. The name is really nice. Rowlet's final evo name is just horrible and too difficult to pronounce.
Anywho... Grass/Ghost?! What? xD Putting that on the Number 1 spot on the list of "Typings That Make No Sense". Still, Decidueye was my favourite when I first saw the leaks and it still is. Looks so freaking amazing. 2nd favourite starter after Infernape. The other types were on-point, though.

And Cosmog :D So adorable! The Japanese trailer has a few overworld scenes with it and it's just so cute. Can't wait to see exactly how it fits into the story, although it being taken care of by Aether makes me think it'll have some sort of connection to UBs and maybe even Type:Null.
Personally I wish the Rowlet line stayed Flying all the way through. It doesn't fit the ghost flavor at all. Also yea its easily got the worst name of the 3, but I feel like I could get used to it. Still would have really preferred Robinhoot though.

Wait it was stated that Cosmog is being cared for by Aether?

Apparently Incineroar is a big softie on the inside -

Quote from official website "When it receives the admiration of young Pokémon and children, it may keep up its cold attitude on the outside, but in its heart of hearts, Incineroar is immensely happy. It loses the desire to fight when faced with a Pokémon that’s clearly weak or injured, and it sometimes gets taken advantage of as a result."

In another news, Incineroar plays dirty by attacking opponent trainers as well.
The best. And I had seen that too! That's so great that it actually has a big heart inside <3.
This is my response to Incineroar:

Other than that, I've said most of my thoughts on Discord, but they essentially come to this: Interesting proposition with the Island Guardians and a shared Z-Crystal and Z-Move... Wonder what move activates it? And on top of that, the typings are unexpected for a lot of mons! My boy Decidueye's lookin' pretty nice and reaffirms my belief that it's basically Kamen Rider Ghost Robin Damashii.

And as for the Battle Tree... Cynthia's looking a bit smaller than what we thought she looked like.
I love it so much. God this trailer just showed off exactly what I loved about it. That overwhelming personality. Darkest Lariat is so badass, and the best of the signature moves.

And yeah I also thought she was weirdly small glad someone pointed it out! Weird.

As for tha Tapus, s there any reason why it couldn't just be any particular psychic move? Did the datamine show signatures had to be for specific ones?

I think the datamine managed to not really spoiled the starters too much. We already knew them way before then and they were basically confirmed as soon as Mallow came out. This gave them great animations and personality though. theres so much! Same for Cosmog. Even Persian looks (a little) better to me in motion.

techitisJ

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
Decidueye - Grass/Ghost?!?! I can’t even… Okay I will admit this there was a part of me that believed that grass/flying wouldn’t be this guy’s final typing. When the starters were first revealed, I was doing a little research on owls in Hawaii, and I learned that a Hawaiin myth states owls are said to rescue lost souls from the underworld. They might have had this in mind when typing this guy, or maybe not, but it’s still really cool. Out of all 3 of the final evolutions, this is the one that I think has the most solid design.

Primarina - I love water type Pokemon, it’s probably my second favorite type in the game, and I’ve stated this before but Primarina is a really great design for a water Pokemon. Such an elegant and graceful creature, and I have to say it’s been a rough competition with him and Incineroar, since I saw the leaks back in June. I like the little bit in the description on the official page where it states how it uses its voice to make balloons of water. Shows that it was based more off a siren then a mermaid. I am happy we get to see fairy typing as a secondary on a starter. The hair still looks a little awkward to me, but it’s not too bad.

Incineroar - Be prepared for a long reaction here. So when I initially saw the leaks, I was not a fan of this guy. But now, I actually really like the design. Yes, if there was a quadruped option, I would still pick that over this, but seeing as there is not, then it looks like my starter is going to be Litten. I started liking him more, when I started seeing art of him. I started to think of him as a character, and gave him cool characteristics. This always helps me like something more. A few days ago, I read an article that told us how Cosmog was the Pokemon in Lillie’s bag, and the article also mentioned how when Machamp uses strength, it picks you up and cradles you while it moves whatever it needs to move with it’s other too hands. After hearing this, I imagined my Pokemon Trainer OC, a pokemon researcher, getting tired after a long day out in the field, and her dear Incineroar carrying her back to her campsite, much like she used to carry him back to camp when he was just a little Litten. It was after this, that I decided that Incineroar would be my pick. I’m not too fond how the arms start fat and then get skinny, but I can see they did that to make it look a little less like a fighting type. The only thing that still kinda confuses me is why they let Torracat be a quadruped. Now I don’t design Pokemon, but wouldn’t have been easier to make Torracat bipedal, like his final evolution? Who knows? Maybe they just couldn’t think of a way to make him bipedal.
_

Cosmog - Oh my gosh, this thing is adorable. Upon seeing this in the datamine, I didn’t think much of it, but after seeing it in the trailer (specifically the japanese one) I’ve fallen in love with the little guy. It is so cute! I really want one of my own!

Tapus - Tapu Bulu is kinda meh to me, but Tapu Lele is adorable and I think my favorite is Tapu Fini. I guess Tapu Fini is where are dolphin came from (though I still kinda wish we got an actual dolphin Pokemon, here’s hoping for next gen). I was kind of surprised to see that the Oricorios don’t have all the same final typings. It could have worked too, Tapu Bulu does look a little more like a fire-type with the red (look at me using color stereotypes), and the purple on Tapu Fini almost matches Oricorio Sensu style exactly, so it could have been a Ghost/Fairy type. Oh well, I’m not mad about the grass and water though, they’re cool tool. I don’t think I’ll be using any Tapus anyway.

Alolan Persian - I have to admit, after seeing it in game, and watching it move, I don’t hate it as much as I did. Probably goes just above the Alolan Geodude line. Still nothing special about it though.
__
I am really excited to see what we will be doing with the League. I don’t think they’ll do gyms, but who knows, they might. It would be really cool if they did. That spot in that city we saw in the demo is open for a building, so just maybe. I would be completely cool with just making an Elite 4 and champion though.

The Battle Tree looks quite interesting. I was really excited to see Cynthia and Wally, and yes I do see why they haven’t changed their designs much. Cynthia is an adult, so honestly she probably wouldn’t have gotten any prettier. I can see why they would keep Wally very similar, as they did just give him a redesign, and Wally is a sick kid. People who suffer from a long-term illness like that are more often than not on the lighter and smaller side, which makes them look a lot younger than they are.

I can not believe that we will be seeing Red and Blue again! I am so happy! I almost screamed when I saw them!!!! I’m so freaking hyped to battle them! Red has probably been one of my favorite battles, and Blue has always been one of my favorite gym leaders. I really like how they kept some of their personality, but changed it in a way too. Red and Blue were bitter rivals, and while I can imagine they still have competition between them, it seems like it would be much more friendly. Gosh and their new designs are cool too.

Geez that took a while to write. I’m going to put it in spoilers so it won’t take up the whole page. My brain did not let me sleep last night. I woke up at 1:00am this morning and did not go back to sleep. It kept telling me that there was going to be big news in the trailer and I was like “shut up brain its not, let me sleep” Well needless to say, my brain was right.