• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • Magnificent Entertainer springs the lamest traps in the history of everything. Watch here as he takes the Galactic Eterna Building by storm!

Trailers and News Discussion

#TeamSword
Reaction score
Commence people whining when we barely know anything about the new mechanic(s). Lmao same old.

The trailer was nice, didn't give us anything substantial, just a few hints and clues of what we can expect. Looks like powered-up moves will indeed be a thing. I'll reserve judgement for when we get a proper reveal. Hopefully that will happen soon. As much as I like new Pokemon, I think we have enough for now.

Also no hats HOORAY!

Reaction score
I'm honestly curious of the poses and what they have to do with these 'power up' moves and such. It's interesting, strange but interesting, hopefully we'll get more info on the mechanic soon.

Actually, are we getting anything else this month?

Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
I'm still annoyed that people are dead set on calling it Synchro, but on the topic itself, it's probably gonna be related somehow.

Well, here's the thing - they never said the secret was exclusive. It could be just their take on Mega Mewtwo Y and the long wait for the proper reveal, which will then be shown off with different Pokémon afterward...
If this mechanic is exclusive to NFE Pokemon, I will eat my words about balance. Only in that case, however.
......We've barely seen like 10 seconds of this new mechanic, and you're already calling it "useless".........?
Allow me to be sceptic, considering Game Freak's love for unnecessary power boosts.

Well firstly I think you're jumping to a lot of conclusions. We don't actually have the first idea as to how these moves will work, how pervasive they will be, what drawbacks there will be (like how Mega Evolution requires you to forfeit a held item), or if it will really be all that comparable to the elemental gems.

You're assuming that they're going to be some dizzyingly complex, byzantine mess that completely pollutes the existing structure, but... why assume that? Mega Evolution is as simple as pressing an extra button. I think one can expect this to be similarly streamlined.

On top of that, having special moves that work differently than other power-ups like Mega Evolution enriches the strategic aspect. You have to carefully consider what your opponent might do, and how you think it's best to prepare for/respond to that.

To be honest, I don't really see how one can look at the enormous tapestry of available moves and held items and other such variables and say that THIS is what's going to break it all. I mean, I could ask why we need moves like Fire Blast when we already have Flamethrower, but the answer is obvious. Fire Blast offers an alternative strategy. I can sacrifice reliability for power. Similarly, "Super Moves" need only to fill a specific niche that the other options don't in order to justify themselves.

Well that's a good question. Does it? One of the things that I liked about ORAS was how it went an extra step past the "balance between people and Pokémon" theme of BW, and brought Nature into the fold. Because of course the world itself would have just as much of a role in that dynamic. Both people and Pokémon will prosper or suffer in different ways depending on the state of the environment.

I see this as potentially being a similar interrogation of what the role of people is. Surely we're not just Pokémon slavers who boss them around from the sidelines for our entertainment? If human involvement can have a tangible effect on the battle too, then that lends some justification to the entire process.

It's replete with a cheesy dance sequence, but it's not as if the animation for Mega Evolution wasn't cheesy either. Raise that arm up triumphantly, crush your hand into a fist, tap your Key Stone with your opposite hand, and then get ready for your CLOSE-UP! Fierce!

Go ahead. Do it irl. Tell me it doesn't feel silly.

I do remember, and I also remember the series being basically fine after Mega Evolution was brought in, with it offering a generally fun new dimension to the gameplay.
- Basically, they are evolving the entire franchise to be less simple and fun, to more complicated.

- Well, what I am trying to say, is that you CAN'T continue to add new mechanics for ever. Generation after Generation. You need to know when to stop adding to an already-near-perfect formula, or you are going to eventually break it. Not saying that Synchro Evolution is going to be the one to break the game. Or Mega Evolution. Or this, or that. But ALL OF THEM, together, are starting to be a bit too much, imo.

- I never even implied that ME was bad. The opposite, I was pro Mega Evolution from the beginning.

I just said that I feel that way towards these Gen 7 mechanics, not towards ME.

I <3 Kabu and Raihan
Reaction score
- Basically, they are evolving the entire franchise to be less simple and fun, to more complicated.

- I never even implied that ME was bad. The opposite, I was pro Mega Evolution from the beginning.

I just said that I feel that way towards these Gen 7 mechanics, not towards ME.
I know what you said. I'm saying, the purists were (generally) wrong about Mega Evolution. For the most part, it was fine and good for the gameplay, and the purists were overreacting. And this will probably go down about the same way.

I think the franchise already manages a firm balance between "simple/fun" (battles themselves are an easy, streamlined process) and "really bloody complicated" (all those moves and items and abilities and forms, EVs, IVs, breeding, 18-layer rock-paper-scissors, blah blah blah). It's been a bit of both for a long time now.

- Well, what I am trying to say, is that you CAN'T continue to add new mechanics for ever. Generation after Generation. You need to know when to stop adding to an already-near-perfect formula, or you are going to eventually break it. Not saying that Synchro Evolution is going to be the one to break the game. Or Mega Evolution. Or this, or that. But ALL OF THEM, together, are starting to be a bit too much, imo.
Sure, I agree with that. But that's something that we can't really evaluate until future generations come along, and I don't think it's entirely fair to put the infinite weight of that prophecy on "Synchro" when it's not even out of the nursery. Certainly something to keep an eye on, but I'm not sweating it just yet.

Last edited:
Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
Commence people whining when we barely know anything about the new mechanic(s). Lmao same old.
I "dare" to criticize Gen VII's new mechanics (and the fact battles seem to be more Trainer- centric than Pokemon- centric) , and I become one of those whining people that ALWAYS criticize whatever addition they make?

Sigh...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really hope that we don't get this mechanic at the very start of the game. I'd rather we earn it first and foremost than receive this "power up".

[LIMITER] [DISC] [SAVE] [SYSTEM ERROR]
Reaction score
I really hope that we don't get this mechanic at the very start of the game. I'd rather we earn it first and foremost than receive this "power up".
Chances are, it'll be earned partway through the story like Mega Evolution was.

If you want my honest thoughts on the whole thing, I say bring it on! We'll see if it makes things truly broken if Mega Kangaskhan can use the mechanic, whatever it turns out to be, with Parental Bond (mostly) intact on top.

Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
I know what you said. I'm saying, the purists were (generally) wrong about Mega Evolution. For the most part, it was fine and good for the gameplay, and the purists were overreacting. And this will probably go down about the same way.

I think the franchise already manages a firm balance between "simple/fun" (battles themselves are an easy, streamlined process) and "really bloody complicated" (all those moves and items and abilities and forms, EVs, IVs, breeding, 18-layer rock-paper-scissors, blah blah blah). It's been a bit of both for a long time now.

Sure, I agree with that. But that's something that we can't really evaluate until future generations come along, and I don't think it's entirely fair to put the infinite weight of that prophecy on "Synchro" when it's not even out of the nursery. Certainly something to keep an eye on, but I'm not sweating it just yet.
Well, let's just say that I hope Game Freak proves me wrong on this one.

And regarding the general balance for the future, I think that I am just a bit quicker to overreact than you xD.

The main reason I am reacting this way towards the Gen VII battle additions, is that, sofar, I have ALWAYS liked the new additions of each generation, from the beginning.

This time it is the first time I am not liking the new additions from the beginning... The dancing and Synchro is just giving me non- Pokemon vibes for the first time ever. I am not one of those fans that always dislike the new generations additions at first, and then slowly start to accept them.

I liked the new new types, eggs, held items, Abilities, Doubles, Triple, Hidden Abilities, Mega Evolution, etc, all from the get go.

Disappointment
Reaction score
I don't have much to say on the new move mechanic since we don't know much about it yet.

But I love how absolutely ridiculous all the Pokémon look with saddles on. With how short and stumpy Sharpedo's body is it should never have a saddle, but they pretty much made it into a jetski and it's amazing.

Last edited:
In Bloom
Reaction score
Im gonna reserve judgement on these powered up moves until we learn what they actually do but it seems an interesting new addition like Mega Evolution was and I personally want to hear more about it.

I also personally like seeing your trainer interact more. Im fairly pleased overall by what Im seeing so far with this game.

Fancier then a Milotic,faster than a Deoxys-Speed
Reaction score
When do you guys think where getting an international version of this trailer, without the emotional stuff if the first trailer in vs jp is anything to go by.

#TeamSword
Reaction score
I "dare" to criticize Gen VII's new mechanics and the fact it seems to be more Trainer- centric than Pokemon- centric, and I become one of those whining people that ALWAYS criticize whatever addition they make?

Sigh...
First, you're not really criticizing Gen 7's new mechanics because we barely know anything about them. So you're just making assumptions and you're basing your criticism on those instead. Why not wait till we know all the details before forming an opinion?

Second, I didn't say you whine all the time. It's one of the fandom's tendencies in general.

I am Mand'alor
Reaction score
This new mechanic is the worst thing to ever happen to me. My life, hopes and dreams are now ruined.

Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
First, you're not really criticizing Gen 7's new mechanics because we barely know anything about them. So you're just making assumptions and you're basing your criticism on those instead. Why not wait till why know all the details before forming an opinion?

Second, I didn't say you whine all the time. It's one of the fandom's tendencies in general.
I know what you said, but you clearly put me in that cathegory, considering that your comment was directed towards me (I mean, who else was "whining" atm? Only me.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just have 2 questions that needed to be addressed.
1) Is the power up moves their own new moves, or are they power-up version of certain moves
2) Their distribution on Pokemon

Reaction score
When do you guys think where getting an international version of this trailer, without the emotional stuff if the first trailer in vs jp is anything to go by.
I'm going to throw a guess and say whenever CoroCoro officially releases... Which should be the 14th or 15th? I didn't check to see what date it releases this month.

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
They went two generations (4 and 5) without adding any new mechanics, so now they're just making up for lost time.

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
Ignoring the Ginyu Force posing system until we learn more about it...

I WANT TO TAKE OFF MY HAT. Maybe let me wear some cute crescent moon hair clip instead. <3

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Any hint for new Sun and Moon news for next month would be neat and maybe have it released on an early date like the 3rd or something. So far, Game Freak has impressed me with the news that we got so far (apart from customization).