• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Trailers and News Discussion

Tensho

Reaction score
I hope the new riding system means they are doing away with HM such as Fly and Surf and let you put on that saddle and surf through body of water and soar through the sky. I hope the examples shown in the trailers are not the only ones available.

Arceus the Dragon

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
It seems next issue would have info on the Alola region it seems. That be good since we have been getting mostly new pokemon lately but new pokemon is still a good thing in my books.

Peridorito

Space rock
Reaction score
The dance moves look really silly. The powered up moves seem interesting at the very least. The best part of the trailer was definitely the trainer without a hat though. I want my character to look like as much like me as possible, but I never wear hats irl, so that will help a lot!

Hidden Mew

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't realize that one of the player characters in the Battle Royal wasn't wearing a hat. Personally, I've never been bothered by wearing the hats, even in the previous generation where trainer customization was first introduced. I liked the hats as kind of a similar connection with all of the playable characters, so I wasn't hoping for us to remove the hats. Still, it's nice that the option is available. I think that I'd be more interested in checking out different hats rather than going without a hat, but having that option available now, I could change my mind later on. Now if we can wear glasses and other accessories, that would be neat. Then I can make the female trainer look even more like an idealized younger version of myself.

Alola

10まんボルト!!!
Reaction score
I like the apparent option of being able to remove a hat. When I play the games, I get really involved as if I'm personally enjoying the adventure. Thus, removing my hat after a long day or an informal meeting with the rival character or friendly npcs adds a whole new level of characterization for me.

On another note, the trailer confirmed no new Eeveelutions which made my heart break a little.

Fairy Type Arceus

Reaction score
What I have always liked about Pokemon, and the main reason it is my favourite franchise, is the gameplay. It has always been simple and brilliant in its simplicity. You see your own Pokemon on the screen, and those of your opponent. You select moves, pay attention to Abilities, and play. Simple and beautiful.

Mega Evolution was already overcomplicating the formula, but it's not something too complicated, and the designs are great, so I actually liked it as an addition to the classic formula.

But this thing... WHY do we need MORE overpowered moves? If the big deal was giving a one time boost to a move, we already had the ELEMENTAL GEMS in Gen V. So much more simple and viable. But of course, a lot less flashy...

And furthermore, does the Trainer (we) need to do a useless and embarassing dance pose to activate it? Why?

When I am in a Pokemon battle, I like to imagine that I (the person) am giving orders to my Pokemon, not the ingame representation of me (the PC). So seeing the PC during battles breaks my immersion, to an extent.

Also, from an in-universe view: does a Pokemon trainer need to do a ridiculous dance in order to bond with his trusty Pokemon partner? Really? I always liked to think that my bond with my Pokemon occurs through our mutual feelings. No need to dance to show them my trust and our bonds.

In short, you remember the hate Mega Evolution recieved and still recieves from a more "purist" portion of the fandom? Yeah, well, that's exactly how I feel towards the new Gen VII mechanics (synchro and the dancing).

They make me feel that Pokemon has evolved more than it should have evolved away from the classic formula (and additions like eggs, Abilities, Hidden Abilites, ME, etc never made me feel this way, I liked them all from the beginning).
Five generations of sticking to the forumla
Fans: Omg just like cod repetitive and boring
Gen 6: %$&#- gamefreak with their digimon evolution

Gen 7 omg no gyms and dancing f### this

Seriously let gamefreak do what they want since no matter what they do someone will be pissed changed or exactly the same there's a potion of the fanbase that are going to be pissed that there's going to be 800+mons and complain that there's to many no one is satisfied

Shenili

That third Unova Starter
Reaction score
On another note, the trailer confirmed no new Eeveelutions which made my heart break a little.
I really hope that it's a demo or something and we just can't see ninth eeveelution.. OR we can get some new Pokemon that will evolve eight times like Eevee did past 20 years!

Desdar300

Reaction score

Seriously let gamefreak do what they want since no matter what they do someone will be pissed changed or exactly the same there's a potion of the fanbase that are going to be pissed that there's going to be 800+mons and complain that there's to many no one is satisfied
PREACH!! That's the thing that irritates me the most about the fandom sometimes, it's like just allow GF to broaden their horizons a bit so that the franchise can stay healthy and keep its legs strong.
I mean look at Pokémon Go, when it was first announced people lost their minds at all the "horrible " implications that this pointed to but several months later it turned out to be one of the best moves Nintendo made in recent years.

Poké Boss

The Best Gym Leader
Reaction score

Meta Boss: Thank you Game Freak, don't EVER change the formula!

Gen 6: fans: %$&#- gamefreak with their digimon evolution
Meta Boss: hey, that's cool! Good move, Game Freak!

Gen 7 Fans: omG no gyms and dancing f### this
Meta Boss: dancing? Trainers having an active role during battles? F### this GF, I want my classic Pokemon games back!
I don't care what the rest of the fandom wants, and how much they have criticized GF for not innovating, I have always wanted the classic Pokemon formula to stay the same (with cool improvements like Abilities, HA, new battle styles, etc) , and I have always praised Game Freak's conservative philosophy of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Last edited:

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
While I do think it's best to wait for more information on how a feature works before deciding how you truly feel about it, I see no reason to all gang up on someone for their view. People are going to like and dislike different things and just because someone doesn't like the look of a feature/mechanic doesn't mean you need to start exaggerating or misrepresenting them to defend the feature and the games. Who knows, maybe Meta Boss will like it after trying it out? No real reason to squabble over it.

So tone yourselves down guys please, we don't need to be at each others throats. We had enough of that sort of behaviour yesterday.

Poké Boss

The Best Gym Leader
Reaction score
PREACH!! That's the thing that irritates me the most about the fandom sometimes, it's like just allow GF to broaden their horizons a bit so that the franchise can stay healthy and keep its legs strong.
Preach? Preach what, dude? Not giving your Pokemon related opinions on a Pokemon forum? Sigh...

I have never criticized Game Freak before, because they have never changed the classic formula (too much). Now, I feel they are going away from what is the classic main series formula, for the first time ever. Am I allowed to express my disliking of this move?

I mean, of course, Game Freak will do whatever they want. It's not like I am going to assault Gamefreak's offices in Japan and force them to make the game my way, you know? But at least let me express my opinion, for fucks sake xD
I mean look at Pokémon Go, when it was first announced people lost their minds at all the "horrible " implications that this pointed to but several months later it turned out to be one of the best moves Nintendo made in recent years.
EXACTLY THIS: keep the experiments outside of the MAIN SERIES. Pokemon Go is awesome precisely because it lets them experiment without changing the main game formula.

Last edited:

Desdar300

Reaction score
Preach? Preach what, dude? Not giving your Pokemon related opinions on a Pokemon forum? Sigh...

I have never criticized Game Freak before, because they have never changed the classic formula. Now, I feel they are going away from what is the classic main series formula, for the first time ever. Am I allowed to express my disliking of this move?

I mean, of course, Game Freak will do whatever they want. It's not like I am going to assault Gamefreak's offices in Japan and force them to make the game my way, you know? But at least let me express my opinion, for fucks sake xD

EXACTLY THIS: keep the experiments outside of the MAIN SERIES. Pokemon Go is awesome precisely because it lets them experiment without changing the main game formula.
Sorry bout that, but that comment was more directed at the random people I see whom always claim that GF is always jumping the shark for various reasons or avow to quit the franchise if so and so makes it into the series.
It's cool with me if you dislike whatever the protags were doing in that trailer that's your opinion after all. I honestly just jumped on that comment inasmuch as due to me concurring with it and that's it.

Icy Wind

*Shivers*
Reaction score
Allow me to be sceptic, considering Game Freak's love for unnecessary power boosts.
If the powered up moves from gen 7 are such an "unnecessary" change to you, then you can simply choose not to use them ;)
Meta Boss said:
Trainers having an active role during battles?
Oh yes, because let's forget that mega evolution also requires the trainer to do certain mouvements like the powered up moves from gen 7, right?

And one more thing: why are you acting like game freak is deviating from pokemon's "classic" formula by the introduction of the new mechanic? In terms of concept, the powered up moves from gen 7 are more conparable to mega evolution(i.e. temporary in-battle boosts), and yet you seem to love mega evolution. Why the hatred towards the gen 7 mechanic when the concept of temporary in-battle boost has already been made in the serie?

Vyrron

#TeamSword
Reaction score
I still don't get this "they're changing the classic Pokemon formula" complaint.

We literally saw like 2 seconds of the PCs doing some (admittedly silly) dance moves that will most likely just be used for the new mechanic's activation cutscene (similar to Mega Evolution). I fail to see how that makes the games more player-centric or even (gasp!) changes the entire main game formula.

Falconwing

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
Now, I've seen a couple people mention that they find the dances silly. While I haven't had the chance to do proper research yet, I would not be surprised if they have roots in tradiitonal Hawaiian dances. Most of the ones I've heard of are considered very sacred and an important part of their culture.

If anyone's got any more insight or has found a real world counterpart, let me know.

Poké Boss

The Best Gym Leader
Reaction score
If the powered up moves from gen 7 are such an "unnecessary" change to you, then you can simply choose not to use them ;)
Then I wouldn't be playing the game how it is meant to be played...

Besides, in XY, Korrina made us Mega Evolve Lucario. So i am not sure if the game will allow us to ignore the mechanic.
Oh yes, because let's forget that mega evolution also requires the trainer to do certain mouvements like the powered up moves from gen 7, right?
I think what annoys me regarding the new mechanic, is that it depicts the Trainer as someone with almost supernatural powers. He makes a dance that pretty much reminds me of freakin Kame... Hame... HAAAAAAAA!

The Trainer is taking an active role in Pokemon battles, by helping his Pokemon in the battle. Personally making a move (dance) to power up his Pokemon.

Mega Evolution is not like that. It is just the Trainer pressing a button. To me, it is completely different. To you? I don't know, and I don't care. You are free to have your own opinion.

Necrozma

Formerly known as Tsu
Reaction score
I think what annoys me regarding the new mechanic, is that it depicts the Trainer as someone with almost supernatural powers. He makes a dance that pretty much reminds me of freakin Kame... Hame... HAAAAAAAA!
Nothing we've seen of the dances looks even remotely similar to that move.

Mega Evolution is not like that. It is just the Trainer pressing a button.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Mega Evolution requires a bond between a Pokemon and a Trainer which makes the trainer a vital component.

And what makes you think the trainers actually have any effect? What if they're merely doing it for the sake of tradition? You're jumping on conclusions and hating on something we barely know anything about based on those conclusions.