• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Trailers and News Discussion

Esserise

Based Leaker Affleck wants to battle!
Reaction score
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

THIS WAS FUCKING AWESOME

FUCKING TRIALS AND SHIT

FUCKING ALOLA FORMS NINETALES LOOKS BEAUTIFUL THAT TYPING OMG

THEY ALTERED THE GYM FORMAT, EVEN IF SLIGHTLY I AM SO HAPPY

OH MY GOD

OH AND Z MOVES ARE AWESOME!
Yeah, today sure was a doozy. And I haven't even picked up my Arceus yet!

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
Reaction score
(slightly) interesting thing i picked up in the trailer: that forest shown isn't on Melemele. assuming there's no shady editing, Mallow welcomes you to the Lush Jungle. Lurantis's bio page says that its the Totem Pokemon for it.... and that it's located on Akala Island. i wonder then where the Melemele Island trial is.
Just noticed this, too.

With the Fire Island Trial being all but a lock for the second island, I think it's most likely that this forest/cave hybrid is actually within the tree on the fourth island. That makes sense, yeah?

This would also mean that there's *got* to be some sort of organized civilization on the fourth island, despite it seeming like there isn't?

Exciting nonetheless.

Mitchman

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
Some things I noticed on a second watch and looking around:
The trial captains aren't all of them. Each trial has a captain, and there are several trials on each island. I think we only got two from the first two islands:Melemele has Captain Sophocles and Lana, while Akala likely has Marrow and Kiawe. I say likely, as it seems Marrow is on the ranch of the second isle. Lana might even be from the ice island. But yeah, I think there are way more captains.
The plus symbol in the Dex is actually the sigil for the trials.
Captain Sophocles HAS to be a genwunner stab. Dweeby forum name, has a keyboard, and lots of gen 1 memorbilia. Cute gamefreak, very cute.

Scarftail

Tail Slap
Reaction score
Welp, it only took between October 2013 and August 2016, but we finally know what makes Alola so unique that it was foreshadowed so early. They basically took Hawaii's themes and used them not to create a different atmosphere of the same game like before, but to overhaul the foundational structure of the game. #Pokemon20

The icing on the cake would be good plot and post-game features.

Esserise

Reaction score
I really have to applaud the Alola forms for refining XY's approach to stuffing the Pokédex with old Pokémon - don't just give them new toys to play with (i.e. Megas, much as I do like them), make the Pokémon themselves new and interesting.

PurplePegasus

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
Since the first island is yellow, the second island is red, how about the third island is Moana (the Hawaiian word for the blue ocean).

Fairy Type Arceus

Reaction score
Crazy theory what if instead of megas since they might be gone the megas are in there as those Pokemon's Alola forms?

Alola sceptile would be mega sceptile with grass dragon Alola charizard will be mega charizard x/y depending on version Alola glaile will be mega glaile and etc

Reaction score
The trial captains aren't all of them. Each trial has a captain, and there are several trials on each island.
i'm not quite too sure. i think between Captains, Totems, and Kahunas, there'd be too many things. after all for each island there's a Kahuna, which requires a trial to be completed with each trial having a Captain and a Totem. two trials on an island would make for five boss battles, which, even for me, seems a bit much. that doesn't even factor in the game's plot, evil team, and Elite 4/Champion-ish aspects either.

Just noticed this, too.

With the Fire Island Trial being all but a lock for the second island, I think it's most likely that this forest/cave hybrid is actually within the tree on the fourth island. That makes sense, yeah?

This would also mean that there's *got* to be some sort of organized civilization on the fourth island, despite it seeming like there isn't?

Exciting nonetheless.
i don't think so. i still think that the fourth island is fairly uninhabited. i think Sophocles is on the artificial island. that would seem to match up with his oddly technologically forward-appearing area. i guess it'd go Lana for Melemele, Kiawa for the second island, Mallow for the Big Island, and Sophocles for the artificial one. perhaps the fourth island is sacred and thus Alolans created the artificial one in response?

VTP-Dawkins93

Reaction score
Z-Moves will have an interesting effect on battle balance. As a one-off move, you could use them to wipe out one strong Pokemon on another team, but you'd have to be selective as to when to use it. Whereas with Mega Evolution you can enjoy the benefits for an entire battle. I also wonder how they work in the Battle Royals and double battles etc - whether you can attack multiple targets at once or not.

Uhane

Reaction score
Captain Sophocles HAS to be a genwunner stab. Dweeby forum name, has a keyboard, and lots of gen 1 memorbilia. Cute gamefreak, very cute.
I don't think insulting their oldest fans who they are trying to win back with Pokemon Go is a nice or a wise thing to do.

Mitchman

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
Crazy theory what if instead of megas since they might be gone the megas are in there as those Pokemon's Alola forms?

Alola sceptile would beega sceptile with grass dragon Alola charizard will be mega charizard x/y depending on version Alola glaile will be mega glaile and etc
That would be an excellent solution. I really don't want a lot of the designa to go, it would be a wasted effort. Not to mention, if I can main through the story for the entire time Ampharos Fabuloso ita going to be glorious.
i'm not quite too sure. i think between Captains, Totems, and Kahunas, there'd be too many things. after all for each island there's a Kahuna, which requires a trial to be completed with each trial having a Captain and a Totem. two trials on an island would make for five boss battles, which, even for me, seems a bit much. that doesn't even factor in the game's plot, evil team, and Elite 4/Champion-ish aspects either.

i don't think so. i still think that the fourth island is fairly uninhabited. i think Sophocles is on the artificial island. that would seem to match up with his oddly technologically forward-appearing area. i guess it'd go Lana for Melemele, Kiawa for the second island, Mallow for the Big Island, and Sophocles for the artificial one. perhaps the fourth island is sacred and thus Alolans created the artificial one in response?
Its basically confirmed that the 4 islands are the 4 colors of the primary types. With Kiawe on the Fire Island, it would make sense for Captain Sophocles(I cannot type this with a straight face like seriously)to be on Melemele, and Lana on the Ice Island. Marrow is a dent though, she IS on Akala after all. As for the amount of bosses, I know it sounds a lot but it makes sense. The infowe got today confirms multiple island trials to reach the Kahuna, while each one has a captain. I think 2 o each island at the most, to match the number of gym leaders, unfortunately.

badwolf1234

TRUE POKEMON LOVER
Reaction score
Looking thru the trailers and the official site this is what I speculalate:

Since Gumshoos a totem pokemon there could be a normal trial captain

Kaiwe owns a Marowak so there could be a fire type Alolan Marowak

Mallow might have a Totem Lurantis also she is the captain of Lush Jungle(and possibly ash's new travelling companion) this could also be loacted at Akala island

Another island is named which is Akala island

Going by Oricorio's typing the other island guardians could be: fire/fairy ghost/fairy and psychic/fairy

Veteran Trainer Eric

Weirdo PKMN Master
Reaction score
I the Z-moves explain the fifth skill slot that had people wondering a few months ago.

I'm curious of how Z-moves will be handled with duel type.

Uhane

Reaction score
Could Z moves have anything to do with Zygarde or is that just coincidence?

NinjutsuSen

Reaction score
So pretty much the majority of the chinese leaks got true. Mixed feeling about the news, but one after another:

-Alola forms: What's the purpose of introducing that if they could've done new pokemon instead? Especially since this probably means a small number of pokemon again to balance it out. New types are ok, but the designs are almost the same. Vulpix and Ninetails pretty much only got alternative colours. Would decrease the special factor of shinies if they only recolour older pokemon. Are they stronger than their originals or as strong? Are they limited to one per team? If not, then I can see everyone picking up the better versions. Why even introducing a new kind of special forms after one generation especially if these pokemon get stat boost to make them more usefull which would be an unnecessary kind of thing after the megas? I like the idea, but they have to do it right for it to be a decent addition to the game. They need to show me why I rather want an alternate form instead of an all new pokemon. Don't like any of these designs. Dump versions of Mega-Pokemon kind of designs.

-Z-Attacks sounds like a stronger forms of the gems, which would make them absolutely useless if all pokemon can use Z-Attacks. OK idea. Would mix up the competive metagame.

-Gumshoos is a decent looking pokemon. The hair still disturbs me a bit. Seems to be the standart normal only rodent. Hoped for a dual type like Bibarel and Diggersby. Too standard for my likings.

-I like Oricorio. My favourite of the new bunch. Nice to see a multi-form bird. Hope for many type-combinations.

-Formantis is also decent looking. Lurantis looks weird though.

-Don't like Minior that much. We also had many Rock/Flying types before.

-Mudsdale pre evolution Mudbray looks good. Better than it's evolution. I hope there is still an evolution for Mudsdale. Still looks like a mid-stager.

- And now for the most negative of this trailer: The island trials. Because this and the fact that the first trial captain Mallow is in the chinese information+starter leaks confirms no gyms and this pretty much kills ALL of my excitement for SM. Why not both? That shouldn't be a problem and it more looks like the storyline except the evil team consist of defeating a few trainer. Gyms and the league were an important part of the main pokemon games. I really really hope this is a one time thing for Alola.

-The positive: The leaked starter final evolutions are real and I REALLLLLLY like the starter evolutions, especially Popplio's.

Esserise

Reaction score
I'm curious of how Z-moves will be handled with duel type.
I don't think dual-types factor into it very much. You give the Pokémon a type-based crystal, and if it matches (one of) the Pokémon's type(s), it uses the Z-move that corresponds to the crystal's type. At least, that is how I understand it.

Reaction score
Its basically confirmed that the 4 islands are the 4 colors of the primary types. With Kiawe on the Fire Island, it would make sense for Captain Sophocles(I cannot type this with a straight face like seriously)to be on Melemele, and Lana on the Ice Island. Marrow is a dent though, she IS on Akala after all. As for the amount of bosses, I know it sounds a lot but it makes sense. The infowe got today confirms multiple island trials to reach the Kahuna, while each one has a captain. I think 2 o each island at the most, to match the number of gym leaders, unfortunately.
if Mallow defies island-color-type convention by being on Akala ('pink'), then i think it's safe to say that there is not one to begin with. and perhaps there are more Captains. Lurantis being the Totem of Lush Jungle which is headed up by a Grass-type Captain, makes me wonder if all totems match the Captain of the area's typing, which would then facilitate an unrevealed Normal-type Captain.

edit: there's 7 trials anyways. we got that number at e3. lol.

Last edited: