• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Just a note that the news on the 12th is coming at a different time to the last few news batches. It's coming 10am Japan time instead of 10pm Japan time, so whatever time the last few have been just change it by 12 hours. It'll be 2am instead of 2pm for me here in the UK. :(

Just a note that the news on the 12th is coming at a different time to the last few news batches. It's coming 10am Japan time instead of 10pm Japan time, so whatever time the last few have been just change it by 12 hours. It'll be 2am instead of 2pm for me here in the UK. :(

Well, I guess I have a reason to stay up until 3 am in that case.

You know what I'm hoping for? A ton of legendaries like Sinnoh and Unova. That would be a pretty good post game story to do: focus on legendaries.
We kind of had that in ORAS. Plus this is the first pair of games of gen 7. I wouldn't see too many legendaries in Sun and Moon. Probably just Zygarde, guardians, mascots and the third legendary that connects with mascot.

Firstly, I only know like... 4? 5 counting Marshadow.
And also, maybe 11-12 or something, right in between Hoenn and Sinnoh.
The guardians are likely to be legendary pokemon though. Plus we don't know if Alola is that big enough to contain 11/12 legendaries.

Firstly, I only know like... 4? 5 counting Marshadow.
And also, maybe 11-12 or something, right in between Hoenn and Sinnoh.
The 3 that you are missing, are the other island guardians.

I'd rather stick with the 8 that we have now.

Maybe. What if the post game or something involves getting Zygarde? Perhaps a logical assumption would be the player going to Kalos and Terminus Cave.

I think 5 to 6 is the highest amount of legendary pokemon we need in one region. Certain regions are far too over saturated with them. A trio/quad and box legendaries (and I guess one mythical at least since they insist on continuing to offer these pointless vanity-mons that mean next to nothing to region besides a slot in the national dex that might never get filled if you're not paying attention when they deign to toss one at us).

Post-game legendary pokemon are really meh to me. Since I can't battle competitively, I have no reason to collect them other than to have shiny baubles in my PC boxes. And most of the time it's not even fun to find them. It's almost always a wander through a cave or something with no story to keep my interest. Just walk in, find sparkly one of a kind pokemon, throw pokeballs at it, put in PC.

I kinda wish we had a place to put or pokemon other than a PC. Like a family member owns a ranch or something where we can visit and randomly see our pokemon just chilling and we can talk/interact with them. Then at least I'd get to see the pokemon I caught.

I'm so excited with the latest news, so I pre-ordered both versions today from a UK store.

I hope we will get further interesting news on 12 August!!!

If you ask me, Sinnoh was bad with Legendaries, but Unova is a different story. I personally don't mind having a lot of Legendaries as long as they are used well, which I think Unova's were. And I think a major part of that is that Gen V's Legendaries actually comprise three trios + some extra Mythicals to keep the generation afloat for a few years (one of whom is just a fourth member of one of those trios), so it feels like there isn't such a profusion of independent "clumps" of mythology like what you get with Heatran and the Regis and Shaymin and Cresselia/Darkrai and Manaphy/Phione *and* the headliners, which in this case were a trio-within-a-trio with a supreme master above them (and then the Kanto birds in Platinum just because).

Rather, in Unova, what you have is three groups of interrelated Pokémon acting as the source of a single mythology for each group, and then two randoms, and then a Mewtwo knock-off with connections to the villains, and I think that's all a little easier to digest. I mean, I know that Sinnoh was supposed to be rich in mythology, but I think they accomplished that much more effectively with things like the library's old folk tales than they did with the couple of sentences spoken about Heatran.

Personal tastes are a factor, however. I know that I myself prefer a more grounded, "historical" approach to Legendary Pokémon, which the Unova region used for all of its Legendaries. I am not as big a fan of the grander, more mythological approach that was used in the Sinnoh games, but I am sure there are others who did prefer that flavor.

It did bug me a bit when Unova got invaded by half of Sinnoh's Legendaries in B2W2, but I will admit that my annoyance in that instance was somewhat offset by my interest in seeing how they were tied to Unova - however, none of what revelations there even were on that front were particularly satisfying (well, Cresselia's was okay, even if it was largely just a retread of the same story from DPP - but I liked how it tied into the Marvelous Bridge ghost from BW). Fortunately, they have since invented a way of dropping old Legendary Pokémon onto a new region (Hoopa) without having to pretend that there is any other reason for them to be there beyond "well you need to be able to catch these somehow," which I think is convenient, and it saves me the trouble of getting intrigued. Zygarde is a bit of a different beast - they were always going to give it some more depth, and it was really just a question of what the name of the game that would happen in would be. I am optimistic that it will have a more fulfilling role in SM than the Sinnoh Legendaries did in B2W2.

Back
Top Bottom