• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

You say that, Silk, but why the emphasis on Kanto again? Even as someone who doesn't mind it, you can't deny that Kanto is once again being given top billing for the 20th Anniversary above all other Generations, given that they're the only ones with Alola Forms so far, and the only ones with said Pokedex entries even available to view. Unless they're really trying to hide other generational Alola Forms until the game's release, you have to question why they're pulling the same stint as they did in Kalos.

Of course, given how much people are willing to go back-and-forth about it, I just prefer to watch the chaos and wait for a major announcement so that everyone can comment on the result rather than their clashing wishes.

You say that, Silk, but why the emphasis on Kanto again? Even as someone who doesn't mind it, you can't deny that Kanto is once again being given top billing for the 20th Anniversary above all other Generations, given that they're the only ones with Alola Forms so far, and the only ones with said Pokedex entries even available to view. Unless they're really trying to hide other generational Alola Forms until the game's release, you have to question why they're pulling the same stint as they did in Kalos.

Of course, given how much people are willing to go back-and-forth about it, I just prefer to watch the chaos and wait for a major announcement so that everyone can comment on the result rather than their clashing wishes.
I know everyone at Game Freak cherishes Kanto because it's the original region and there's nothing wrong with it, but when they do what you're mentioning here, it's neglecting 600 other Pokémon.

I don't think that they are foreshadowing anything either, but didn't somebody translate the entries on the page on find that they were basically the same as their XY Pokédex entries?

Zubat was the one with seemingly no new entries, so I still can't fathom why they would put that one up there if the point is new pokedex entries.

It would be nice if we could get a better translation for all of them, though, since Google Translate is... about as great at translating as ever.

Zubat was the one with seemingly no new entries, so I still can't fathom why they would put that one up there if the point is new pokedex entries.
Its entries seem new to me. They're just based on combinations of old entries rather than being blatantly copied and pasted.

Its entries seem new to me. They're just based on combinations of old entries rather than being blatantly copied and pasted.
I wouldn't really call rephrasing old entries to be "new" since all of its entries are basically rephrasings of that it avoids daylight and uses ultrasonic waves.

Some of the entries certainly are new, though, such as Pinsir's rivalry with Vikavolt.

Dragonite's seems to mention a Dragonite-only paradise that isn't present in older entries as well as commentary on its anger that we've never seen mentioned before.
Dratini's mentions luxury boots made from its molted skins apparently? That or that is one insanely bad translation.
Dragonair's says nothing apparently new.

Maybe instead of debating whether they're getting new forms or Megas, we should be looking into what these entries actually say?

The debate is kind of useless anyway, because we can all pretty much agree at this point that the inclusion of these pokemon neither outright confirms nor denies the possibility of any of these pokemon getting Mega Evolutions. It's still fun to speculate that maybe some of them are, since they are at least confirmed to be present in the region, but two already have Megas, so as a group, it's really not indicative of anything yet. I will still say, though, that the possibility for some of them is still there, partly because I'm not losing hope for a Mega Dragonite until it's outright confirmed whether or not to have one. :p

Although, based on how the site has the pokemon categorized, I do think it's pretty safe to say that these specific pokemon are not getting Alola forms. =/

Dragonair's Moon entry says that it has been worshipped since ancient times by agriculturists for its powers to control the weather. The worship part is new.

I'd like to see a weather-related Dragonair form one day, but I doubt it will happen in these games.

I think that we would just wild Zubat and Dratini in Alola region. Apart from being on the official Japanese site, there is nothing to suggest Alola forms for them and I prefer a Mega Dragonite. The news we have been getting has been pretty decent.

By the way, are the huge summaries we get for the New Pokemon on the Japanese site as well?

I've been wondering the canonicity of those, they're great, but it's a shame the actual game is sticking to such short and paltry entries because I'd love to see bigger summaries for classic Pokemon---but I remember the XY and ORAS site had little tidbits about Mega Pokemon, like Mega Aerodactyl being speculated to be the original appearance, and Mega Camerupt hating moisture of all kind (lol), and wondering if that was truly Game Freak's intention of the English site just going with that stuff.

I've been wondering the canonicity of those
Take it from what TheJWittz said about Arceus and Mew being the "first Pokemon" - many entries are uncertain about confirming for sure that what we know is 100% true.

I'm sure the flavour text is more or less just an expansion of the Pokedex entries, and putting them there ahead of time gives us a bit more to discuss if nothing else, because then you'll see these traits later in the anime or manga adaptations when these mons are brought to life outside of the games themselves (where not every piece of flavour text will be able to fit within the game itself).

On the note of the site itself, you people who think these entries are leading to something may be leading yourselves in the wrong direction. May be just a hunch, but could any (even one) of these be a hint at the locations we will visit and/or the plot? Just an idea for you guys.

Take it from what TheJWittz said about Arceus and Mew being the "first Pokemon" - many entries are uncertain about confirming for sure that what we know is 100% true.

On the note of the site itself, you people who think these entries are leading to something may be leading yourselves in the wrong direction. May be just a hunch, but could any (even one) of these be a hint at the locations we will visit and/or the plot? Just an idea for you guys.

It's one thing to disagree but then to shame is?

It's possible that these could be red herrings and just pokes to find in the region.

The point of speculation is try and think about what might happen. If it doesn't happen, oh well, nothing wrong. It's still fun thinking about it. But you can't ignore that they chose only flying types (or those that mega evolve into flying types).

It seems too convenient. But then again no shit it could be a red herring.

It's one thing to disagree but then to shame is?
Geez, I'm sorry if my words came off as offensive to you, but I assure you I didn't mean it that way. I try not to make my autistic tendencies an excuse so I won't do that and I won't edit it. All I was trying to say is that I think they may have the wrong idea and I suggested a different angle, nothing more than that. I wasn't trying to insult them or anything, I only said it in that way because I don't fall under that banner myself.

In any case, let's not argue over semantics here.
It's possible that these could be red herrings and just pokes to find in the region.
That's why I mostly choose to wait for the announcements. As I said in another post, I prefer commenting on the result rather than clashing wishes.
The point of speculation is try and think about what might happen. If it doesn't happen, oh well, nothing wrong. It's still fun thinking about it. But you can't ignore that they chose only flying types (or those that mega evolve into flying types).
Sure, speculation is fun - I just thought you guys were a bit too fixated on certain things (in this case, Mega Evolution of all things) when trying to decode the significance of these Pokedex entries.

@TouyaShiro If it helps, I don't think you were being offensive and I'm actually surprised anyone took it that way. It didn't feel like you were really shutting anyone down on speculating, just offering another possible direction for speculation.

Though, and I don't mean to be shutting down any speculation myself, I actually think that they have Flying-type in common is a negligible detail. Mega Pinsir isn't featured at all and Mega Gyarados loses Flying in favor of Dark, so I can't see counting Mega Evolutions as being part of a common type. That feels like grasping at straws.

If anything, it's true, they may point at possible locations or... as much as it's been said that there's been too much focus on it and I do agree that this batch doesn't specifically say "Mega Evolutions" with any certainty, it does confirm Pokemon as being in the game who might get them. Because, you know, step one for getting an evolution would be actually showing up to get one. XD

But say, anyone else question if we would really be encountering wild Dragonite? That seems like it would be a bit weird, doesn't it? Have we ever just casually encountered fully evolved pseudo-legendaries in the wild before? Not counting Gen V's Phenomenon because that's more special game mechanic than just casually walking up to a powerful fully-evolved pokemon in the grass and saying oh whoops, hello there.

I'm not sure if this has been reported already, but on Serebii yesterday they showed a S/M side quest video where you get paid to throw Pyukumuku back into the ocean on a tourist beach. You get paid a massive 20,000 for tossing them back into the water, but it's also a nod to the official description on the official site that people get part-time jobs chucking the cute cucumbers back into the ocean on beaches, since they're unappealing to tourists. I must say, not only are they being true to form when it comes to the descriptions, but that's also very easy money. I wonder, if there is such a side quest like that, will they do other related things in the games, like show a bunch of Crabrawlers fighting over berries?

How about a side quest where a Mimikyu lost its Pikachu merchandise and we have to find it or a new one? It will hide in the shadows due to not wanting to be seen.

Speaking of side activities, I would love for Hoenn-styled contests to return, but it's very doubtful :p

The Pyukumuku throwing looks good, besides the lack of a throwing animation. Makes a load of money, seems like.

Back
Top Bottom