• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

People have pointed out in one scene you can see tikis with faces, I know they're probably generic tiki designs but I do wonder if we'll have a Tiki Mimic Pokemon that looks identical to those.

In the NA trailer the professor refers to you as cousin

Not literally, that's a thing they do in Hawaii---or at least Tito in Rocket Power always did.

I think I'm more inclined to think Kukui is the professor because he's the one actually wearing the lab coat. Hala could have been the one who raised/bred or caught the starters to give to rookie trainers at the professor's discretion. I mean, you don't seriously think the professor is the only one who supplies the starter Pokemon?

I think I'm more inclined to think Kukui is the professor because he's the one actually wearing the lab coat. Hala could have been the one who raised/bred or caught the starters to give to rookie trainers at the professor's discretion. I mean, you don't seriously think the professor is the only one who supplies the starter Pokemon?
I could also say "you don't seriously think starter-giving professors are the only one who wears lab coats" or "you don't seriously think all professors wear lab coats do you?" as an argument if you're planning to use that type of rhetoric.

Obviously they aren't the only ones to give Pokemon to other trainers, but that role in the games has always been the professor with the exception of Bianca...who was training to be a professor like Juniper. And we have way more situations of non-professors who don't give you starters wearing lab coats (e.g., entire trainer classes, Fennel, assorted NPC's, professor's assistants) so I'm not seeing how a lab coat automatically means regional professor more than scientist.

Why they even wear lab coats other than to fit a trope is another question.

One thing I want to know more about is if Sun and Moon also uses a grid/tile system for movement or if we can move around freely everywhere. It did kind of seem like the characters ran through those curved paths on a pre-determined rail and had pretty straight movements, but still. I wants more info.

Obviously they aren't the only ones to give Pokemon to other trainers, but that role in the games has always been the professor with the exception of Bianca...who was training to be a professor like Juniper.

Well, her and Tierno.

One thing I want to know more about is if Sun and Moon also uses a grid/tile system for movement or if we can move around freely everywhere. It kind of seemed like the characters ran through those curved paths on a pre-determined rail and had pretty straight movements, but still.

I'm sure it'll be just like ORAS and XY, where you can use the directional pad to walk on an 8-way grid or use the circle pad to free walk off the grid.

So it's based on Hawaii after all, Alola (lol). And the trademarks are all true. Hopefully Marshadow will be a cool one. We practically know that the box covered are Solgaleo and Lunaala.

I'm so glad that they weren't just hyping this reveal for nothing. I didn't think that was too likely, but the thought came to mind and I would have been so mad if that happened. I love both trailers, but the Japanese one does have an edge for me. Friendship through Pokemon is so adorable and heartwarming.

I really like the new starters. As a set, I'm not sure if they beat out the Kalos starters in terms of overall cuteness, but they're all still good. Popplio is still my favorite, but I like Litten and Rowlet as well. I'm so looking forward to all of the fanart of them with the other starters too.

It's definitely likely, if not confirmed, that we have trainer customization again based on the different skin tone and hair color we can choose right off the bat. That's good since I liked that feature from X/Y and not being able to do more with it would be such a disappointment. Plus, the outfits look too plain to be stuck with them for the whole game. More clothing and hair color options would be nice. The region itself looks quite nice. I'm sure that it will be fun to explore.

The new Legendary Pokemon are quite good. Solgaleo looks like a huge intense lion, while Lunnala seems like a bat or some kind of winged creature, which I wasn't expecting. Still, they both look great and I'm glad that the box art is revealed too. A release date is also great. I figured that it would come out sometime in November. They'd want to get it out before December for the Christmas sales. These were such good trailers and I'm so glad that we have more to talk about now.

I'm sure it'll be just like ORAS and XY, where you can use the directional pad to walk on an 8-way grid or use the circle pad to free walk off the grid.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. Didn't know you could freely walk and run in ORAS though, as I never played them.

I don't really like much that I've seen in the trailer, ugly Pokemon etc but I'll buy it and love it.

Woooaaaa!!!

Is that Moon legendary is BAT !!!!!???

And an OWL starter!!!! WOOOOAAA!!! I think I will get that one XD.
It is definately a bat! We had many bats in the game, but never a legendary and never so kick-ass. And of course the most beautiful of all! Very nice concept.

Regarding the starters I think I was too harsh with the grass owl. When I saw the other angles, I think it is quite promising.

The only starter I don't like is the water one, because its design is too common.

Last edited:
Ooh so the Japanese one has different stuff. That one gets me more hyped.

That's because it's only a part of the region!
I actually like that we only get to see one of the islands. I didn't need an entire region map, just a small part of it so I know the general atmosphere and feel of the region. I want everything else to be a surprise.

Maybe it's the first time they're actually meeting and Kukui doesn't know your name...like at all. So he just calls you cousin to be polite.

Then again it might just be a weird "footage not final" thing and it will end up being "cuz" in the actual game. But as it is now, it just seems a little stilted to have the full word if they were going for a friendly greeting instead of the original meaning. Especially since the dude's from poke-Hawaii where you think a lot more people would use abbreviations and surfer slang.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom