• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Now that it's all sank in a bit, some thoughts:

Overall I love the trailer. The graphical changes are great and it's good to see the human proportions more realistic now. I like X/Y's graphical engine but this is better. I love that the player picks up the starter in one screen, that was so damn cute.

All three starters are good. I like them all and I'd be happy with any. I'm stoked for their evolved forms. SO cute how Rowlet turns it head to look at the player. They're really gone all out cute for this.

The legendaries looked amazing. Moon's especially, the move where it forms a circle with its wings and fires down the beam looks too cool. A unique thing about them is their eyes - they have similar style eyes, albeit different colours. The Sun legendary looks damn majestic. They look like they appear in different locales, too.

I love the look and feel of the region so far, the tropical setting is looking nice and the characters look great as well. Such a nice summery feel.

Despite the great disappointment about the EU release date, this trailer has me very, very hyped.

I could also say "you don't seriously think starter-giving professors are the only one who wears lab coats" or "you don't seriously think all professors wear lab coats do you?" as an argument if you're planning to use that type of rhetoric.

Obviously they aren't the only ones to give Pokemon to other trainers, but that role in the games has always been the professor with the exception of Bianca...who was training to be a professor like Juniper. And we have way more situations of non-professors who don't give you starters wearing lab coats (e.g., entire trainer classes, Fennel, assorted NPC's, professor's assistants) so I'm not seeing how a lab coat automatically means regional professor more than scientist.

Why they even wear lab coats other than to fit a trope is another question.
Yes those arguments could be made. But the presence of a lab coat makes it a compelling enough argument until it is officially confirmed otherwise.

The fact that Bianca in BW2 exists means that other NPCs can give out starter Pokemon other than the professor.

Anyone notice in the first few seconds the male PC wasn't wearing a hat

Hmm no, where?

The Alola region looks awfully small, don't you think?
That's because it's only a part of the region!
I actually like that we only get to see one of the islands. I didn't need an entire region map, just a small part of it so I know the general atmosphere and feel of the region. I want everything else to be a surprise.
Well, Hawaii is an island chain, so we're obviously going to travel from one place to another by boat (and later Surf). Hey, I'm guessing this is that Orange Islands game we always wanted.

*phew* I was also worried that this would be the only island in the game.
So you guys are saying that the picture for the "region" we have so far will be just one part of the region?
But how can we be certain?
To be honest, I'm worried.

I think this island is definately the whole region. Look at the roads and the mountains and the smaller islands. It is s complete region complex. And if you look well, you can see multiple smaller towns in it and one big. There was no point to show only an island of the region.

It isn't as small as it looks in this picture.

I think this island is definately the whole region. Look at the roads and the mountains and the smaller islands. It is s complete region complex. And if you look well, you can see multiple smaller towns in it and one big. There was no point to show only an island of the region.

It isn't as small as it looks in this picture.
Then the towns and cities are not properly scaled if this really is just the whole region.

The streets and city buildings are very large in proportion to the rest of the island landmarks, which gives the island a much smaller appearance in comparison. Only 2-3 settlements at most can be found on the island, which is ridiculously small if this is meant to represent the whole region. What's more likely to happen is that we're going to have another Sevii Islands setup, and that Game Freak is only showing the one island in the video.

Last edited:
You can see the starting town and the harbor city on the island map, both of which are shown in the "game play" parts. If you take that into consideration, then the towns are not properly scaled like @Isamu Akai said. They wouldn't make such a mistake with the region map when they have made six other region maps before.

Another point is that the island is most definitely based on Oahu. It's pretty pointless to base a region on Hawaii and then only use one island. I think we can say with certainty that Alola is a region that consists of multiple islands, much like how real Hawaii is.

Even though Alola is most definitely going to consist of multiple islands and even be upscaled from Hawaii's real size to more closely match a region based on a portion of a country (Sinnoh/Hoenn) or a country (Kalos), I'm still going to have a tough time treating it as a full on region. It's going to feel too much like Orange/Sevii Islands personally. It's going to feel like a sub-region if I were to guess. But the whole "it all comes together" thing they threw out in the first video still has people wondering if we'll be able to visit other regions, even if it were just portions of them, to fill in the space, especially if the region is a bunch of islands, it may be small in comparison to others and allow enough space to include another.

Personally I still think Sun/Moon is going to somehow be a sequel to XY, even if the region isn't Spain or Italy like many suggested, which would make the most sense for a sequel, from a geographical standpoint. But BW2 proved to us that planes exist, so why not put them to use? Nothing is "out of bounds" for a Pokemon game. They could, realistically, fly us to a modernized Kanto for all of those who complained about no Kanto remakes. Just saying. ;)

Last edited:
The change from superdeformed to the proportional 3D models seen in-battle is a step-up though I cannot praise the graphics yet. I need to see the animations and environments before giving a verdict. Thus far, as I said before, it is a step-up--nothing awespiring.

Another point is that the island is most definitely based on Oahu. It's pretty pointless to base a region on Hawaii and then only use one island. I think we can say with certainty that Alola is a region that consists of multiple islands, much like how real Hawaii is.

I agree. Each island could just have its own artwork in the style of other regional maps, and GameFreak chose to use the PC's home island to introduce Alola as a whole. There are likely 7 more maps we haven't seen yet.

I could also say "you don't seriously think starter-giving professors are the only one who wears lab coats" or "you don't seriously think all professors wear lab coats do you?" as an argument if you're planning to use that type of rhetoric.

Obviously they aren't the only ones to give Pokemon to other trainers, but that role in the games has always been the professor with the exception of Bianca...who was training to be a professor like Juniper. And we have way more situations of non-professors who don't give you starters wearing lab coats (e.g., entire trainer classes, Fennel, assorted NPC's, professor's assistants) so I'm not seeing how a lab coat automatically means regional professor more than scientist.

Why they even wear lab coats other than to fit a trope is another question.

Kukui is most certainly the professor.
Aleurites moluccanus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hala is also a tree though Pandanus tectorius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and is called that in Hawaii. So maybe there's two professors? Or maybe Hala is Kukui's dad and has retired or something?

Edit: sc190191 beat me to it :p

I can definitely see Hala being a retired professor. I can get behind that idea.

The point I was trying to make, however, was not so much that Kukui is a tree, but that it's Hawaii's state tree. He may not give you the starters directly, but I think he was named as such because he is, for all intents and purposes, the main professor with more overall importance to the story.

We had to wait three months for Super Mystery Dungeon and Fire Emblem so what's 5 days in our neverending delays on Nintendo's games -_-

It annoys me that people say it's payback for Europe leaking XY early because 1) Canada also leaked XY early and aren't being punished and 2) it's the fans that are ultimately being punished because of the fault of the retailers. The retailers are still going to get their money, just 5 days later so it achieves nothing other than being unfair to European fans.

Remakes or whatever fair enough, but a new generation we should all get on the same date to start playing at the same time and experience it all together.

Back
Top Bottom