• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Regarding the new trailer:

~Solgaleo and Lunala are pretty awesome legendaries. And Solgaleo's name is just...wow. Regarding abilities, I think Multiscale Shadow Shield is the better of the two. But then again, I guess Solgaleo won't have to worry about Intimidate, Sticky Web, Defog, etc. Solgaleo's typing really surprised me, and I think a majority of us, by not including fire. And just think...the Sunne Pokemon is weak to Fire. Lunala's seems fitting, as a denizen of the night. But I think Fairy/Ghost or Psychic/Fairy would have been even more fitting. Regardless, at least both legendaries can battle each other fairly.

~The Alola region looks pretty fun! I admit, I was initially reserved about it, but seeing the art has made me warm up to the prospect of island adventures. I'm also glad that it's confirmed that the journey will take place through several islands rather than one.

~I like the main character designs. Their outfits also aren't too outlandish, easy on the eyes and seem comfortable for tropical climates-fitting for being in Alola. Am I the only who thinks the male design has elements of Team Aqua (the hat, shirt, shoes, backpack) and Team Magma (the shorts)? He could be Archie and Maxie's love child who moved away from Hoenn.

~Professor Kukui is too hot to be a professor.

~Ah Lillie. The girl surrounded in mystery and theories. I'm looking forward to her character along with Hau. I do hope he will be a competent rival and not just strictly buddy-buddies. And what exactly is "chicken skin?"

~I have mixed feelings about the Rotom Pokedex. I mean, it's a new concept full of novelty...but I guess I'm just worried about the inner machinations behind it. Like, will you own this Rotom? Can it battle for you? How exactly can it speak English? How will it feel about spending 90% of it's time inside your backpack?
Please don't forget that Lunala has 4x weakness to both Ghost and Dark, so Shadow Shield is very much needed. And for your reference, "chicken skin" means "goosebump". At least that how most of the Asian languages I know express it.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering if the Rotom appearance with a main role means the we will get the long-waited new forms for this pokemon. I always liked Rotom, so I'm more than happy we will get a Rotom-related pokedex!

And I LOVE the region. It isn't so big, but It is perfectly balanced as I can see in the high resolution picture. Very very well designed places.

Regarding the signature moves of the legendaries, these confirm pretty much exactly what we were speculating a couple of weeks before here in the forum. Solgaleo is definately physical attacker and Lunala mostly Special.

Damn, two 4x weaknesses for the lovely bat is too rough. But I still like it! :p

And what is the artificial island? Where is it on the picture?

I'm still wondering if the Rotom appearance with a main role means the we will get the long-waited new forms for this pokemon. I always liked Rotom, so I'm more than happy we will get a Rotom-related pokedex!

And I LOVE the region. It isn't so big, but It is perfectly balanced as I can see in the high resolution picture. Very very well designed places.

Regarding the signature moves of the legendaries, these confirm pretty much exactly what we were speculating a couple of weeks before here in the forum. Solgaleo is definately physical attacker and Lunala mostly Special.

Damn, two 4x weaknesses for the lovely bat is too rough. But I still like it! :p

And what is the artificial island? Where is it on the picture?
The white spot in the middle, it's in the center of the three smaller islands.

The white spot in the middle, it's in the center of the three smaller islands.
Interesting... I have a feeling that this place have something to do with Magearna. It is the only place in Aloha that an mechanical/artificial pokemon would fit.

People, please don't forget that Lunala has 4x weakness to both Ghost and Dark, so

Please don't forget that Lunala has 4x weakness to both Ghost and Dark, so Shadow Shield is very much needed. And for your reference, "chicken skin" means "goosebump". At least that how most of the Asian languages I know express it.
I never said Shadow Shield wasn't needed. In fact, I said it was the better of the two abilities :p

And thank you for explaining chicken skin.

The Rotom Pokedex is a big surprise AND it's super cute. I love it!!
Lunala's weakness is Something but I think the legendary typings are still good.

In general, it was not as much insight as I was hoping, but I'm sure that's a common sentiment. I wasn't too impressed (and to be honest, I haven't been, though not for a want of trying; I'm receptive to every gen, and have only been disappointed once), but I do love the idea of a Pokedex possessed by a Rotom. It makes me wonder why we haven't had it in/shortly after the 4th gen! The idea feels somewhat obvious in hindsight: its whole shtick is to possess commonplace electronics, and what's going to be attached to any trainer? It's a nifty idea that you'd be communicating with your Pokedex - or Rotom, rather, and it functioning as sort of copilot. It's a nifty idea and I hope there will be more interesting innovations.

Otherwise, what else jumps out at me is the personality of the new rival: it's refreshing to see a rival who just seems like a completely believable kid for once. He just seems like one of the boys who is a big Pokemon fan that you could have plucked out from among my fiance's students. It's adorable.

So Sogaleo's type is really off and I don't know why; I hope there's an in-game reason for that.

Also the Pokedex thing with Rotom seems like it belongs in a different game not Pokemon; of course that may yet be a good thing certain parts of the series do need to be freshened up. Part of me wonders if this is one of the steps they're taking to compete with Yoki Watch. Seems like a talking ghost that some of us might be familiar with....

So Sogaleo's type is really off and I don't know why; I hope there's an in-game reason for that.

Also the Pokedex thing with Rotom seems like it belongs in a different game not Pokemon; of course that may yet be a good thing certain parts of the series do need to be freshened up. Part of me wonders if this is one of the steps they're taking to compete with Yoki Watch. Seems like a talking ghost that some of us might be familiar with....
Your answer from another thread.
Apparently GF are pretty freaking clever . https://i.reddituploads.com/15cd8d1...536&w=1536&s=74db65a13a03e905d0ec0e301ca01ad9. A lion eating the sun is the alchemic symbol for metal

Rotom -Dex looks cool. As long as it doesnt end up like Navi from Zelda, or the phone calls from G/S/HG/SS.

The Professor is badass. And his shorts look super comfortable AND easy to wear. Hope we get a pair like it.

OTT, pretty standard reveals. Looking forward to the next set :-D

It seems as though Sun and Moon run on a modified version of the XY engine. The attack animations and sound effects are the same as their Gen VI counterparts, and the CG Pokémon models are the same as well. I guess it makes sense, since these games run on the same hardware.

As for Lillie, is it possible she acts as a companion through the hero/heroine's journey, in the same vein as Rui in Pokémon Colosseum? Oh, maybe her anime counterpart is Ash's newest travelling companion! Oops, that was one can of Caterpie that shouldn't have been opened here...

So it is stated the E3 would have new Sun and Moon news? Question is whether corocoro is a repeat of that news? It wouldn't really matter to me since the news we got is good enough for this month. Maybe we get to see the reveal of the native bird and/or dog pokemon that we have seen?

So we got a whole bunch more news! The legends' types surprised me a bit; we were all certain Solgaleo would be fire but Steel and Psychic is really rare so it's cool~ Lunala's I thought could have been anything and Ghost and Psychic seems reasonable. The Signature moves also look really cool!! Though I wish they weren't essentially the same Abilities are a bit ehh, but not terrible.

The new trainers are so cute! SO HAPPY we got art of the so soon~ Really was hoping on that female rival but Lillie at least seems like she'll be more interesting that Shuana. Hau also seems like he'll be a cutie, but if he's the rival, a bit disappointing he seems to be the "friend" type of rival. Kukui also seems cool like Sycamore~

And Alola did turn out to be a series of islands as we thought and I love how much like Hawaii they're really making it like~!

Lastly, Rotom Dex seems like a really interesting featured and I'm dying to now what it's gonna be like~ Oerall, awesome news dump!~

I think that Lillie might be more of the rival than Hau. Hau was seen to pick the starter that's weak to yours. For example, if you pick Rowlet, Hau will pick Popplio. That means that Lillie has a higher chance of being the main rival.

Back
Top Bottom