• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

I wonder if Bruxish is partly inspired by psychedelic art. That's what comes to my mind when I look at it, and fittingly, it is a Psychic type.

I just assumed it was based on some kind of tropical fish, but yes, you could be right! The flower on the head mixed with the bright splotchy colours definitely fits that theory.

Edit. When trying to google Bruxish, Google suggested 'Bruxism'. It's the medical term for teeth grinding! Cute.

I can't help wonder if Bruxish is our Goldeen or our Magikarp that evolves into a menacing Pokemon later on.

I just assumed it was based on some kind of tropical fish, but yes, you could be right! The flower on the head mixed with the bright splotchy colours definitely fits that theory.

It appears to be based on filefish.
13978885025_838f6575ff_b-1.jpg

That psychedelic art also makes sense, considering it's ability is called Vivid Body in Japanese and Dazzling in the English trailer that leaked on YouTube.

meaning, it protects itself from priority moves by confusing the enemy its dazzling body. at first i thought it should've been part fairy but at least it kinda makes sense now.

I really really like Bruxish, and as much as I think it won't receive an evolution, I would love one.

It could be similar to Gorbyss and gain a longer body with some more of those awesome colours. If it doesn't and it remains the Basculin of the gen, I won't complain but I LOVE it's colours and think an evolution would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Bruxish is based on Hawaii's national fish that being the Trigger Fish and one of Picasso's paintings.
Drampa- is a nod to Fuchur or as Western fans know him Falkor the Luckdragon from The Neverending Story
Togedemaru- seems to be a reference to old Pikachu in the sense that he's really chubby ( look at his old R\G\B sprites.
As for Grubbin's Evos I REALLY like them especially the final one
overall, I'm really loving how you can't take the Gen 7 Mons at face value and they force you to look deeper into them for their true meaning of their origins.
My hat is literally off to GF for actually making me think about a Pokémon 's design

Well, that was a surprise. I was going to try to avoid any potential leaks until tomorrow, but with an official trailer already out, I chose to watch it. Hopefully that doesn't ruin their plans for tomorrow too much or at least we'll get the English names of these Pokemon, along with Iwanko and Nekokkoala.

Anyway, I like most of the new Pokemon. It took me a moment to realize that Tapukoko was the same Pokemon that they referred to in the E3 playthrough. It does have an interesting design, especially as a part Fairy type, and it has a handy ability. Charjbug looked a bit odd to me. The body shape reminded me of a bag of bread, although being more like a battery shape makes more sense with its typing. It's generally fine and I really like its evolution Vikavolt. It looks pretty cool and tough. I didn't realize that they were Grubbin's evolutions. That does make me more interested in raising Grubbin, especially when its first form is so cute.

Drampa is pretty interesting with its Normal/Dragon type combination. I actually really like how derpy it looks. It makes it stand out from other Dragon types, as well as make it a bit cuter too. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who thought of the dragon from Never Ending Story when I saw it too. I'm not sure if I want it to have an evolved form or just a pre-evolved form. Bruxish was interesting. I thought that it was going to be Water/Poison, but Water/Psychic is cool. Cutiefly is certainly cute and I'm so happy that it's a Bug/Fairy type. That was one of the type combinations I really wanted for Fairy types back in the sixth generation, which does make me more interested in seeing how Cutiefly does and what it evolves into. I hope that this is a sign that there will be more Fairy type combinations in Sun/Moon. Togedemaru is pretty cute and being an Electric/Steel type is an interesting combination. I look forward to the next female lead in the anime inevitably catching one.

While I don't care about Zygarde or its forms, I have to admit that its transformation into Zygarde Complete was pretty cool.

There were a lot of cool new Pokemon. Out of the new batch. Drampa and Cutiefly would probably be my favorite, but I like most of them. I think Bruxish is the only one that might need to grow on me a bit more. Charjbug might need to do so a bit as well, but it's already a bit better for me than when I first watched the trailer.

Probably. I think the leak earlier forced their hand a little. I can't see them revealing 7 new Pokemon today and then even more tomorrow.
I can't see more new Pokemon either(bar Iwanko and Nekkoala) but like I said in the gen 7 confirmed thread, I think there is something else coming. If you look at the Japanese website and the videos for each separate Pokemon, its obvious that what we got today was cobbled together at the last minute, as crazy as that sounds. They took all 7 introductory videos for each Pokemon's page and looped the main theme over them, I am dead certain on this. Otherwise if this was the actual trailer, stuff like the 4 Pokedex Animation vids at the end of each Pokemon's introduction would not be there as well, which is the prominent feature of the individual Pokemon Vids.

So yeah tldr, this content is just for the new Pokemon that were to be revealed tomorrow, not the features however.

So is Zygarde 50%'s hidden ability the Swarm Change? Or does it swap out Aura Break for it? Thoughts?
Swarm Change probably swaps in as the default ability when you gather more cores. No idea how the hell this is going to work if you can have both 10% AND 50% going at the same time. I say cores because it seems like the cells needed to reach 50 or 100 are gathered in the ability. Gonna fun to see how this works out in the end.

Speaking of Zygarde, perfect seems to have double the base HP. I wonder if these crazy bastards really did give it 1200 BST.

Surprisingly, Tapu Koko isn't part fighting type despite its resemblance to a tribal warrior. Interesting.

As for the rest of the pokemon revealed I am content with their design. My electric beetle prediction for Grubbin turned out to be real. Many users speculated that the new pseudo-Pikachu would be based on a hedgehog so I bet their ecstatic. Pun intended. The discodelic fish seems to be an embodiment of the saying "beautiful, but deadly". Hopefully, it is less of a hazard to battle/catch/use than Basculin. The old dragon is adorable! It looks a lot like Falkor from the Never-ending Story with more fur on the face. The bee-fly is simply cute and has a perfect typing. It might be the new Klefki for early G7 competitive play.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that we're just going to see these Pokemon tomorrow in English, as well as maybe a little more of the Alola Region. HOPEFULLY the English names of Nekkoala and Iwanko as well. I probably won't wake up early like I did for the last two trailers since this probably will be what we saw today, but in English. If it is, that's fine since we got to see 7 new Pokemon today!

Great news in my opinion. Normal/Dragon is a highlight for me because Dragon is my favorite. I think Bug/Electric is cool even though it has been done before. We could use a break from the standard Bug/Flying pokemon we usually get. I love how Tapu Koko triggers a Electric Terrain automatically. Not sure what corocoro would bring but I try and be positive.

So is Zygarde 50%'s hidden ability the Swarm Change? Or does it swap out Aura Break for it? Thoughts?
I think Aura Break was given to it in 6th gen because the forme change mechanic for it didn't exist. My theory is that 10% and 50% have Swarm Change, and Complete has Aura Break.

It could be that there is an item to change Aura Break or someone who has the power to change it's ability. Of course they could just completely replace the ability.

So from what I've gathered the four Guardians seem to take inspiration from a totem pole Moreover I think their typings will represent the original Gen 1 games so they'll be Fire\Water\Grass\Electric part Fairy types.

Great news in my opinion. Normal/Dragon is a highlight for me because Dragon is my favorite. I think Bug/Electric is cool even though it has been done before. We could use a break from the standard Bug/Flying pokemon we usually get. I love how Tapu Koko triggers a Electric Terrain automatically. Not sure what corocoro would bring but I try and be positive.

As far as I know, we've only had one other Bug/Electric type, so I don't think that the fact that it's been done before is too much of an issue here, especially when the Joltik line is from the fifth generation.

For people who think that it's strange for Charjabug to not look like a cocoon, guess what, beetles don't make cocoon. It's a chrysalis. That's why it looks so rigid.

For people who think that it's strange for Charjabug to not look like a cocoon, guess what, beetles don't make cocoon. It's a chrysalis. That's why it looks so rigid.
Chrysalis is the name of a butterfly pupa. I'm not an expert on beetles, but Charjabug doesn't really look anything like a real beetle to me - I'm just going to keep assuming it's meant to resemble a battery. Though I suppose your explanation is correct in a roundabout way because Metapod, an actual chrysalis, is extra hard and rigid. ;)

So from what I've gathered the four Guardians seem to take inspiration from a totem pole Moreover I think their typings will represent the original Gen 1 games so they'll be Fire\Water\Grass\Electric part Fairy types.

If that's true, then that's a damn cool throwback to acknowledge the first games 20 years later.

Back
Top Bottom