• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

I know what you said. I'm saying, the purists were (generally) wrong about Mega Evolution. For the most part, it was fine and good for the gameplay, and the purists were overreacting. And this will probably go down about the same way.

I think the franchise already manages a firm balance between "simple/fun" (battles themselves are an easy, streamlined process) and "really bloody complicated" (all those moves and items and abilities and forms, EVs, IVs, breeding, 18-layer rock-paper-scissors, blah blah blah). It's been a bit of both for a long time now.

Sure, I agree with that. But that's something that we can't really evaluate until future generations come along, and I don't think it's entirely fair to put the infinite weight of that prophecy on "Synchro" when it's not even out of the nursery. Certainly something to keep an eye on, but I'm not sweating it just yet.
Well, let's just say that I hope Game Freak proves me wrong on this one.

And regarding the general balance for the future, I think that I am just a bit quicker to overreact than you xD.

The main reason I am reacting this way towards the Gen VII battle additions, is that, sofar, I have ALWAYS liked the new additions of each generation, from the beginning.

This time it is the first time I am not liking the new additions from the beginning... The dancing and Synchro is just giving me non- Pokemon vibes for the first time ever. I am not one of those fans that always dislike the new generations additions at first, and then slowly start to accept them.

I liked the new new types, eggs, held items, Abilities, Doubles, Triple, Hidden Abilities, Mega Evolution, etc, all from the get go.

I don't have much to say on the new move mechanic since we don't know much about it yet.

But I love how absolutely ridiculous all the Pokémon look with saddles on. With how short and stumpy Sharpedo's body is it should never have a saddle, but they pretty much made it into a jetski and it's amazing.

Last edited:
Im gonna reserve judgement on these powered up moves until we learn what they actually do but it seems an interesting new addition like Mega Evolution was and I personally want to hear more about it.

I also personally like seeing your trainer interact more. Im fairly pleased overall by what Im seeing so far with this game.

When do you guys think where getting an international version of this trailer, without the emotional stuff if the first trailer in vs jp is anything to go by.

I "dare" to criticize Gen VII's new mechanics and the fact it seems to be more Trainer- centric than Pokemon- centric, and I become one of those whining people that ALWAYS criticize whatever addition they make?

Sigh...

First, you're not really criticizing Gen 7's new mechanics because we barely know anything about them. So you're just making assumptions and you're basing your criticism on those instead. Why not wait till we know all the details before forming an opinion?

Second, I didn't say you whine all the time. It's one of the fandom's tendencies in general.

This new mechanic is the worst thing to ever happen to me. My life, hopes and dreams are now ruined.

First, you're not really criticizing Gen 7's new mechanics because we barely know anything about them. So you're just making assumptions and you're basing your criticism on those instead. Why not wait till why know all the details before forming an opinion?

Second, I didn't say you whine all the time. It's one of the fandom's tendencies in general.
I know what you said, but you clearly put me in that cathegory, considering that your comment was directed towards me (I mean, who else was "whining" atm? Only me.)

Last edited:
Just have 2 questions that needed to be addressed.
1) Is the power up moves their own new moves, or are they power-up version of certain moves
2) Their distribution on Pokemon

When do you guys think where getting an international version of this trailer, without the emotional stuff if the first trailer in vs jp is anything to go by.

I'm going to throw a guess and say whenever CoroCoro officially releases... Which should be the 14th or 15th? I didn't check to see what date it releases this month.

They went two generations (4 and 5) without adding any new mechanics, so now they're just making up for lost time.

Any hint for new Sun and Moon news for next month would be neat and maybe have it released on an early date like the 3rd or something. So far, Game Freak has impressed me with the news that we got so far (apart from customization).

I hope the new riding system means they are doing away with HM such as Fly and Surf and let you put on that saddle and surf through body of water and soar through the sky. I hope the examples shown in the trailers are not the only ones available.

It seems next issue would have info on the Alola region it seems. That be good since we have been getting mostly new pokemon lately but new pokemon is still a good thing in my books.

The dance moves look really silly. The powered up moves seem interesting at the very least. The best part of the trailer was definitely the trainer without a hat though. I want my character to look like as much like me as possible, but I never wear hats irl, so that will help a lot!

I didn't realize that one of the player characters in the Battle Royal wasn't wearing a hat. Personally, I've never been bothered by wearing the hats, even in the previous generation where trainer customization was first introduced. I liked the hats as kind of a similar connection with all of the playable characters, so I wasn't hoping for us to remove the hats. Still, it's nice that the option is available. I think that I'd be more interested in checking out different hats rather than going without a hat, but having that option available now, I could change my mind later on. Now if we can wear glasses and other accessories, that would be neat. Then I can make the female trainer look even more like an idealized younger version of myself.

I like the apparent option of being able to remove a hat. When I play the games, I get really involved as if I'm personally enjoying the adventure. Thus, removing my hat after a long day or an informal meeting with the rival character or friendly npcs adds a whole new level of characterization for me.

On another note, the trailer confirmed no new Eeveelutions which made my heart break a little.

What I have always liked about Pokemon, and the main reason it is my favourite franchise, is the gameplay. It has always been simple and brilliant in its simplicity. You see your own Pokemon on the screen, and those of your opponent. You select moves, pay attention to Abilities, and play. Simple and beautiful.

Mega Evolution was already overcomplicating the formula, but it's not something too complicated, and the designs are great, so I actually liked it as an addition to the classic formula.

But this thing... WHY do we need MORE overpowered moves? If the big deal was giving a one time boost to a move, we already had the ELEMENTAL GEMS in Gen V. So much more simple and viable. But of course, a lot less flashy...

And furthermore, does the Trainer (we) need to do a useless and embarassing dance pose to activate it? Why?

When I am in a Pokemon battle, I like to imagine that I (the person) am giving orders to my Pokemon, not the ingame representation of me (the PC). So seeing the PC during battles breaks my immersion, to an extent.

Also, from an in-universe view: does a Pokemon trainer need to do a ridiculous dance in order to bond with his trusty Pokemon partner? Really? I always liked to think that my bond with my Pokemon occurs through our mutual feelings. No need to dance to show them my trust and our bonds.

In short, you remember the hate Mega Evolution recieved and still recieves from a more "purist" portion of the fandom? Yeah, well, that's exactly how I feel towards the new Gen VII mechanics (synchro and the dancing).

They make me feel that Pokemon has evolved more than it should have evolved away from the classic formula (and additions like eggs, Abilities, Hidden Abilites, ME, etc never made me feel this way, I liked them all from the beginning).

Five generations of sticking to the forumla
Fans: Omg just like cod repetitive and boring
Gen 6: %$&#- gamefreak with their digimon evolution

Gen 7 omg no gyms and dancing f### this

Seriously let gamefreak do what they want since no matter what they do someone will be pissed changed or exactly the same there's a potion of the fanbase that are going to be pissed that there's going to be 800+mons and complain that there's to many no one is satisfied

Back
Top Bottom