• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

@Meta Boss I understand where you are getting at. Personally, I don't hate the mechanic, but I do understand how this seems to be a little... awkward concerning the direction of the Pokémon games. Especially how you're portraying a coach doing a silly dance to "power up" his team. I'd honestly laugh at that in the moment, but I would be concerned if said coach did that all of the time. Overall, I'm sure this will just be one of those cringey aspects of a game that you'll learn tolerate but never really like.

Especially how you're portraying a coach doing a silly dance to "power up" his team. I'd honestly laugh at that in the moment, but I would be concerned if said coach did that all of the time.

Maybe for a coach, but isn't this the basic concept of cheerleading?

Maybe for a coach, but isn't this the basic concept of cheerleading?
Yes, it is. However, Pokémon trainers have never really been portrayed as cheerleaders unless you count the Backer trainer class in the Unova games. For Game Freak to suddenly make trainers a hybrid cheerleader/coach figure out of nowhere just comes across as plain awkward. I mean, could you imagine a coach that was also a cheerleader? Like I said before, I hold no malice towards these dances. However, I cannot deny how awkward it comes across with their static expression and how Pokémon trainers have been portrayed across media. Unlike Meta Boss, whose opinion I understand, this might grow on me. Until we learn more though, my first impressions on these trainer dances range from neutral to slightly awkward.

That being said, does anyone know when regional side-activities for previous regions like Contests and Pokéathlon have been covered in the past? Kalos lacked one of these, and I'm afraid that the only reason ORAS still had contests was because RSE had them. The lack of a Battle Frontier due to current-generation children not liking stuff like that is one thing. It's another if Game Freak cuts out regional side-activities with for that same reason. Not everyone wants to breeze though the main game and then move on, Game Freak!

@Meta Boss I understand where you are getting at. Personally, I don't hate the mechanic, but I do understand how this seems to be a little... awkward concerning the direction of the Pokémon games. Especially how you're portraying a coach doing a silly dance to "power up" his team. I'd honestly laugh at that in the moment, but I would be concerned if said coach did that all of the time. Overall, I'm sure this will just be one of those cringey aspects of a game that you'll learn tolerate but never really like.
Yes, this is what I meant, glad that you understand it.

I guess a cool solution would be if they let us turn the Dancing Off, like you can turn battle move animations off.

As for side games, I think side games will continue to be a thing. I hope. If not, it would be a big dissapointment.

I mean in ORAS we had Secret Bases, Contest Spectacaulars, DexNav hunting, Amie and Super Training. This is a big rsnge of side activities.

So I expect two or more side games this time. Also, please, MAKE those side games challenging and entertaining!

My favourite sidegames until now, have been Contest Spectacaulars, Super Secret Bases, Funfest Missions and Pokéathlon.

Last edited:
Going by the initial versions and remakes:
DP - Contests and the Underground were revealed in August, a month before its release.
HGSS - Pokeathlon was revealed in July, two months before release.
BW - Musicals were revealed in July, two months before release.
ORAS - Contests were confirmed to return in August alongside the Mega Evolution scoop, three months before release.

So if we're getting features like those, I'd expect them to be revealed around September since the new features seem to be something they save for the tail end of the pre-release period.

Yes, it is. However, Pokémon trainers have never really been portrayed as cheerleaders unless you count the Backer trainer class in the Unova games.
that's a pretty literal interpretation though. i would say that Pokemon makes is decently clear across all mediums (manga, anime, games) that trainers are there to motivate, push, and drive their Pokemon to go further; it's just harder to see in the games because, well, #justsilentprotagonistthings

see also:

I don't mind the dancing, personally. I think it looks cute and fits in with the region. Needs more hula dancing and grass skirts.

I really hope we find out about gyms. I'd be totally disappointed if they don't have even something LIKE a gym this time around. Mostly because that means another generation where Dark type pokemon get the shaft when it comes to gym leaders. Though, if they don't have gyms, I'll be really curious how they handle using HMs outside of battle (if this means that HMs are a thing of the past PRAISE HELIX), as well as the "pokemon up to level ### will obey you!"

So the complaints about GF ruining the formula of the main games boil down to disliking the dance moves? That's a bit dramatic. I agree that they look a bit awkward but for all we know they could be exclusive to Sun & Moon if they're indeed linked to Hawaiian culture.

As for what the next reveal might be, I hope it's Gym Leaders so we can stop with those alleged "leaks". Or anything but more new Pokemon really.

It does look like a cell. And it might just the be low quality of the gif but I could also see it being sparkles. But it is moving so I don't know. If it is a cell, cell hunting sounds fun.

Last edited:
Looks to me like it's just some leaves, or as Peachy said it could be a sparkle. I looked at the frames of the GIF to get a better idea:
frame_21_delay-0.07s.gif

frame_23_delay-0.07s.gif

frame_25_delay-0.06s.gif

frame_28_delay-0.06s.gif

Note that the frames here aren't continuous but ones I picked because they showed the biggest changes throughout.

Looks to me like it's just some leaves, or as Peachy said it could be a sparkle. I looked at the frames of the GIF to get a better idea:
frame_21_delay-0.07s.gif

frame_23_delay-0.07s.gif

frame_25_delay-0.06s.gif

frame_28_delay-0.06s.gif

Note that the frames here aren't continuous but ones I picked because they showed the biggest changes throughout.

Thanks for the screenshotting the different frames! It does look like a leaf when they're separated, but it caught my eye since it seems to be glowing... It seems quite mobile too, unless that's because the scene is fast.

Besides aren't cells completely mindless? I doubt we'll see them moving around in the overworld.

Yeah, they're mindless. I'm not sure if it helps, but in one of the anime episodes, when Clemont built a machine to look for Squishy, the machine tried grabbing some Cells and they moved away from his machine. Might just be a Core instead? I dunno. A leaf is also possible like some have said.

i'm not sure. seems to be a bit weird that it would have a sort of interaction when the player isn't really nearby it.

That's a good point... I don't really have anything to say against this.

Back
Top Bottom