• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Really not too happy they're showing so many Pokémon so soon, it's starting to feel like X/Y again where almost no surprises were left :( Not too excited about any of them either, they're okay but nothing I'd choose for my team (except for maybe Bounsweet, but depends on it's evo).

Being able to host your own competitions though!! That's something I've really been waiting for and seriously thought we'd never get I'm so happy :cry:
At this rate we should be around 50 new Pokemon by October, so I doubt the count is going to be Kalos Tier. And outside of Pokemon we know nothing or little enough. RotomDex? Yeah it helps you out, but that's all we know. zygarde is I the game, but that's all we know. Hyper Training involves bottle caps, but that's all we know. The gameplay and features side ks deliciously large but vague enough to pique interest. I have high hopes. Not to mention between bottle caps and zygarde cells, it looks like there are gonna be fetch quests. I LOVE fetch quests.

Anyone else notice in the status screen that Contests are practically confirmed?

Being able to host your own competitions though!! That's something I've really been waiting for and seriously thought we'd never get I'm so happy :cry:

Yes! This always seemed like a logical feature once Pokémon went online, and I'm glad we're finally getting it!

Small question from somebody who doesn't really get involved in online stuff - what does it mean to host your own competition, exactly?

Manually perfecting IVs is pretty impressive. (Next Step: Some sort of Ability Capsule-like item for Natures? :p)

Really not too happy they're showing so many Pokémon so soon, it's starting to feel like X/Y again where almost no surprises were left :( Not too excited about any of them either, they're okay but nothing I'd choose for my team (except for maybe Bounsweet, but depends on it's evo).

I personally don't care too much about *when* the new Pokémon get revealed, but I am getting a little bored of these Pokémon-heavy reveals as a whole. News at all is great, sure, but I am more interested in the features and the region at this point.

I also don't think that just because they're revealing a lot of Pokémon now, that there will necessarily be 100+ in the games. As you say, it could be just like XY.

Anyone else notice in the status screen that Contests are practically confirmed?

Sharp eye. That's a great catch.

Last edited:
Small question from somebody who doesn't really get involved in online stuff - what does it mean to host your own competition, exactly?

Well Global Link now hosts competitions from time to time, which mostly have special rules (like you can only use Kanto Pokémon or only Fairy types). But according to the new info, you can now host your own competitions and set your own regulations! I imagine you can decide yourself who joins, maybe you'll have to fill in Friend Codes or people can sign up, I'm not sure how that's going to work.

mangosteen.jpeg
I'm promoting my favorite fruit cuz now there is a Pokemon for it. :love:

Well these new Pokemon dont seem bad. Bounsweet is cute and I love the Lei(forget the name) but its adorable. I love Fairy types in general so it might get a spot in my team. The Horse is also cool. I dont have a problem with any of them.

I really hope this means we're getting more Pokemon than XY.. There seems to be no stopping them showing off new Pokemon.

People have been saying that Triage is just a subversion of Prankster but I beg to differ. Prankster only +1 priority to status moves. Triage +max priority to healing moves.

We need more Ice and Ghost. Those are actually rare.

I'm hoping we get more than one ground and one poison family this time around too. They weren't treated too well in Kalos. (I know Ground got a legendary but otherwise it was just tacked on to the regional rodent)

Also I agree the ice typing needs more love this gen.

We need more Ice and Ghost. Those are actually rare.

Well, Fairy is the next-rarest after those two, but Fairy has the excsue of being only one generation old anyway. I don't know that anybody *was* complaining about Fairy-types being neglected; they were brand-new, and even then, still saw far more introduced/retconned than Steel or Dark did in their debut.

While I'm here, I say absolutely yes to more Ice, but I doubt we'll see very many.

Ice/Fire, Ice/Poison, Ice/Fairy, Ice/Steel, Ice/Bug, Ice/Fighting, give me all your ice.

Ughh more new Pokemon. Not that I'm complaining, but at this point I'd like something else, like new mechanics, some human characters or the starter evolutions. Anyway, at least there are no designs I dislike this time around.

-Mimikyu's ability is great! GF seems to be going all out with new abilities this gen. Now I'm hoping for good stats or an evolution to actually make it viable competitively!

-Bewear is such a brilliant name! It has definitely grown on me even more now that I saw it in game.

-Bounsweet is cute but not very memorable. Reminds me a bit too much of other cute Grass Pokemon like Oddish, Hoppip and Cherrim.

-Comfey was expected considering Alola is based on Hawaii. Unfortunately it suffers from the same issue as the Flabebe family. It's a pure Fairy-type despite its close connection with flowers.

-Mudsdale's design is probably my favorite from today's bunch. Plus Stamina is an incredible ability. I can already see it becoming on of the top physical walls in the metagame!

-Wimpod is cool. I like trilobites and I can see it evolving into a badass Bug/Water Pokemon. Gen VII seems to have a great selection of Bug-types actually!

-WE CAN INCREASE OUR POKEMON'S IVs!?!?! I've been waiting for this for so long! Now the team I raise during the main story can finally be viable competitively! I don't mind the level 100 requirement, I just hope they don't make bottle caps ridiculously hard to find!

These designs look pretty good for what they are based on. Bewear is probably one of the better Pokemon names, and its design is growing on me. I hope Wimpod, Buonsweet and Comfey have good evolutions! The latter two in particular have the potential to turn into something really pretty like Lilligant, a favourite of mine. Mudsdale looks pretty rough although the hairstyle looks like it's too much, but it does get the point through that it' a Ground-type. It should have a very cute pre-evolution like Ponyta and Blitzle! Mimikyu is the most clever design so far with a pretty good ability, I'm appreciating its ingenuity much more.

Favorite out of today's bunch is definitely Mudsdale. Interesting design (I love it when they pair ground/rock/steel typings with mammals) and great ability. Not to mention it looks like it also got it's own signature move which is really cool! Can't wait to see what it does.

The others are all pretty neat too, but I'm not huge on Comfey or Bounsweet tbh. They're alright but Comfey doesn't strike me as anything too great and Bounsweet reminds me too much of Cherim tbh. Both are solid designs, however, and great additions to Alola.

Wimpod looks pretty cool though, but I'll have to wait and see what its evolutions come out to look like. Seems like it has a lot of potential though. Mimikyu and Bewear are also solid additions, though since we've known about them for a week or two know they're not having a huge impact on me. d:

Well that was an awesome surprise. I wasn't expecting to get English names for the new Pokemon this soon given how long it took for Rockruff and Komala to be revealed, but this is great. The new Pokemon here are great.

Wimpod is pretty cool and I really hope that it keeps the Water/Bug type combination. I'm not sure if I'll end up using it either way, but I like it. Its ability sounds like it will be tricky to capture though. Bounsweet definitely reminded me of Cherubi, but it's a cute little Grass type. Comfey is cute and I like that it is based on a lei. It really made me think of Flabebe, especially when they both look like they should be Fairy/Grass instead of just pure Fairy, but I like it. Mudscale is pretty cool and possibly my favorite out of the new Pokemon here. I like that we finally have another horse-based Pokemon, it looks cool and its ability does make me think of how tough it could be to take it down with physical moves. I could see it ending up on one of my teams if it evolves or is the evolved form of another Pokemon. While I do like quite a few one staged Pokemon, I generally prefer to raise Pokemon that can evolve. It's more fun to see their progression in strength that way.

I'm not too surprised that Mimikyu keeps its Japanese name, but its ability does sound quite handy. It's like a built-in Substitute for one attack. That's pretty cool. I also liked the pun in Bewear's name. It took me a moment to get it, but I got a bit of a laugh when I did. Fluffy also sounds like a pretty useful ability.

While I'd like to see more new features, characters and confirmation on whether or not we have Gyms, I'm still happy with new Pokemon too. Since they've revealed so many, it does make me hope that there will be more new Pokemon in Sun/Moon than there were in X/Y, but I also just like seeing more Pokemon in general, so I'll be happy either way most likely.

Back
Top Bottom