• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

I'm personally really excited for the new Alolan Forms, it's such a refreshing addition to be able to have totally new experiences with old favorites (especially if it is not limited to just Gen 1 designs). Will be cool to see the silhouette of a Pokemon right before battle, thinking "oh it's just a Vulpix" only to discover that it looks totally different and has a new type, Abilities and moves. Really looking forward to whatever surprises this new element throws out while playing the game. I wonder how it will affect Mega Evolution too - if a Pokemon who can Mega Evolve gets an Alolan Form, does it's Mega get an alternate Form too? Also, I think one other new Alolan Form is hinted at - on the official website, the page with the Trial Captains, the 4th one (Kiawe) is a Fire-type expert who uses a Marowak - could Marowak be getting a Fire-type Alolan Form?

I don't think they have to be activated. They're just a different form that adapted to Alola's nature.

The more refined question is how will you switch between the two? What if I want my Drought Ninetales one day but my Snow Cloak Ninetales the next?

So apparently Z-Moves can only be used once per battle, the Pokemon needs to hold a Z-Crystal to activate the Z-Move. But the Pokemon needs to learn a type attack the same type as the Z-Crystal.

So it seems that not every region has a Pokemon league. Alola is one of them...
However, it looks like you guys are overlooking probably the best feture ever introduced in the Pokemon series: the Poke Ride! You know what does this mean? NO MORE HMs! The feture that pisses off everyone is now gone!

Quite a change! New forms, Z-Moves, etc...

Anyway I'll start guessing, I think the Captains are supposed to be a kinda Elite 4... Still it's a bit confusing, as some of them seem to young to be Elite 4...

Umm, no, they are like gym leaders, but you don't battle them. The Kahunas are like the elite 4. There is one in each island. I was 100% sure that Hala is either a gym leader or an E4 member.

The more refined question is how will you switch between the two? What if I want my Drought Ninetales one day but my Snow Cloak Ninetales the next?
i imagine that if both Alola and Standard forms are obtainable in the wild in Alola, they'll be completely different-- stats aside, perhaps-- Pokemon in different locations. given that that glimpse of the Rotomdex shows that encounters can apparently be more specific rather than a broad general area, this seems to fit.

So apparently Z-Moves can only be used once per battle, the Pokemon needs to hold a Z-Crystal to activate the Z-Move.

So a once per battle thing and it takes up the item slot just like Megas... Interesting. Surely Megas will come back, so you'll be able to have one Z-Move and Mega per battle, theoretically. There's a chance they scrap Megas but I highly doubt it.

i imagine that if both Alola and Standard forms are obtainable in the wild in Alola, they'll be completely different-- stats aside, perhaps-- Pokemon in different locations. given that that glimpse of the Rotomdex shows that encounters can apparently be more specific rather than a broad general area, this seems to fit.

But that makes them separate entities, not forms. Forms can be changed. See Deoxys, Rotom, Genie trio, Shaymin, Meloetta, etc. They get stat and type changes while still being the same Pokemon and being able to change back between the forms. There has to be some sort of process to revert them back to non-Alola forms.

So apparently Z-Moves can only be used once per battle, the Pokemon needs to hold a Z-Crystal to activate the Z-Move.
The Pokemon in question also need to know a move of the same type. At least it's accessible to every Pokemon. So it's like a one time use item, a trump card. I'm hoping here that they give different effects to each type if there would be an effect.

I kinda have mixed feelings about all those changes. On one hand they're new and unexpected but I'm not sure if they'll be a good thing in the long run. I guess it will depend on how they'll be received. It just kinda feels like everything is getting a bit contrived at this point. Hidden abilities, Mega evolutions, Z-moves, Alola variants, it's getting hard to remember everything. People were speculating about simplification of the series but they ended up doing the opposite.

Honestly the best thing about the trailer was Vulpix and Ninetales. I was hoping for Mega Ninetales instead so I'm not completely satisfied but I always like it when my favorite Pokemon get some attention.

I don't think you can find the regular version in Alola. Hence the name "Alola forme".

I am literally screaming, holy fucking shit. I mean holy FUCKING SHIT. Just listen to the confirmed stuff:
-Pokemon Ride. You can surf, you can soar, and you can ride. Anywhere. With the rock bteacking and all the cool stuff we have seen, this might just replace the HM system.
-Alolan Pokemon. Delta Pokemon on steroids. I don't mind if this is for like 50 or so Pokemon, its just so good. Adds biodiversity, gives lore to old Pokemon, and instead of adding things on to old Pokemon like Megas, it can drastically change its design and typing. I doubt now megas will come back unfortunately, cause it would be a clusterfuck and I mean a clusterfuck to add megas for variations on top of the normal ones.
-Island Trials. Muy Bueno, Magnifique, Bellisimo. I want to kiss the glorious Mofo who thought of this. Basically, it seems like this is a tiered, multi stage kinda thing.
Explore region, find the Captain. Gives you quests, defeat strong Pokemon at each one. Eventually beat em all, and challenge the Kahuna. Sounds to me like because you defeat the Kahuna at the end of each island, there should be no E4 or at least there is no reason to have one. Perhaps the legendaries tie into it. But this does explain the RotomDex, if you are going to be on fetch quests around the island, you gonna need a minimap. Good lord praise the sun.
Uh...Z Moves?*cough* Gamefreak, is there something you wanna tell us about Gen 6? Its okay, we understand if you wanted to do a new gen for the anniversary.

I am still screaming. I dunno if I will STOP screaming. Possibly no HM's, no more gyms but a tiered quest system, biodiversity, its all happening. Gen 7 is bringing a glorious new single player, I cannot wait to experience this. Hopefully the overall plot is excellent and ties it together in a proper way. If they can also go for a more believable threat and even ditch the evil team, then by god its an 11/10 game. I forgive you Gamefreak for your mistakes, ITS ALL FORGIVEN.

I'm not the only one that's a bit worried we won't have gyms and Pokemon Leagues etc. like we used to, am I?

Unless they're going to pass this off as a one-off Orange Islands type of thing, it's sure looking that way.

It actually makes me hope for a Kalos post-game even more, tbh. Though I know it's unlikely.

Don't get me wrong though, I love what we've seen, for the most part. SM look gorgeous.

Last edited:

The way I understood it, I don't think Ice Ninetails can revert to drought Ninetales. It's like a Flabebe form, you're stuck with the same colour.
The website talks about the forms as different Pokemon that have different personalities and nothing about changing forms.

Umm, no, they are like gym leaders, but you don't battle them. The Kahunas are like the elite 4. There is one in each island. I was 100% sure that Hala is either a gym leader or an E4 member.
i don't really think the kahunas are eq to the e4. the website states that you need to beat each island trial fully (ie., captain, totem, and kahuna) to proceed to the next island. also wouldn't match up with the leaks, but different thread.

I doubt now megas will come back unfortunately, cause it would be a clusterfuck and I mean a clusterfuck to add megas for variations on top of the normal ones.

Now I'm starting to feel the same. With the new Alola forms (which, by the way, sound like they could be a one time thing, sadly-ish) megas would be too much. I mean, I highly doubt Megas are gone for good. They'll be back, I assume. Though I do think there won't be new Megas in SM. Rather, if we see DP remakes this gen or something along those lines, THEN they'll add a bunch of new Megas.

People were speculating about simplification of the series but they ended up doing the opposite.
I never heard anybody speculating the simplification of the series. Every generation (if not every game) should have brand new features.

Back
Top Bottom