• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

It actually makes me hope for a Kalos post-game even more, tbh. Though I know it's unlikely.

Yes please. Kalos can be our normal game where we fight gyms and Pokemon Leagues and Alola can be a sort of spin-off of the Orange Islands and be its own unique beast... I hope...

Little bit change couldn't hurt.

Also apparently the next batch of info will be on the 12th according to Serebii.

This definitely doesn't quality as little bit change. Taking the traditional eight gym leaders, elite four, and champion thing out of the picture changes the game entirely. I don't like the idea of that.

I never heard anybody speculating the simplification of the series. Every generation (if not every game) should have brand new features.

They are referring to something Ken Sugimori said way back about the series "reverting to simplicity" in Gen VII... though frankly, I think he may have just meant in terms of Pokémon design, since he is the head artist (which I think is certainly true here, to an extent). There was some other talk about there being lots of moves and items to keep up with which could be simplified, but it was really kind of vague.

If you guys go to Lurantis description on the Pokemon website, you will find youself they mentioned one of the island name. Akala Island.

Copy-paste from the description"
"Lurantis can learn Solar Blade, a move that releases a blade-shaped beam to mince up its foes. The blade is so sharp it is said it can slice a rock in half! Solar Blade is a move that no Pokémon has been able to learn before. With Solar Blade, Lurantis absorbs energy from the sun on the first move and then unleashes a powerful attack on the second turn. Lurantis is the Totem Pokémon of Lush Jungle, the site of an Akala Island trial. It will overwhelm trial-goers with the powerful combos it unleashes with the Pokémon allies it calls."

The way I understood it, I don't think Ice Ninetails can revert to drought Ninetales. It's like a Flabebe form, you're stuck with the same colour.
The website talks about the forms as different Pokemon that have different personalities and nothing about changing forms.

Right. They are completely different versions. Like how IRL continents separating species have allowed them to evolve differently. Fire Ninetales will still exist, but exists in/from other regions. Ice/Fairy Ninetails is how they exist in Alola. They are not transformations.

We've had very similar but not as expansive concepts of this in past generations... Like Gastrodon, which has different colorings based on which side of the region it's on.

Last edited:
It actually makes me hope for a Kalos post-game even more, tbh. Though I know it's unlikely.
Actually, Kanto would be the better fit for the deep end Post Trials theory. SS Anne is in the game, as per the 99% leaks. I know we shouldn't discuss them outside the thread, but I really wonder.
i don't really think the kahunas are eq to the e4. the website states that you need to beat each island trial fully (ie., captain, totem, and kahuna) to proceed to the next island. also wouldn't match up with the leaks, but different thread.
But the english trailer does have Kuki saying that by beating the island trails you do become the Island Trial Champion. So if you have defeated the 4 Kahuna you are by definition Champion. Something tells me these aren't the only Trial Captains though.

I'm scared. I think Pokemon as we knew it is over. Gg
GOOD. We have been doing the same thing for nearly 2 decades, sometimes a table flip is a good thing.

I agree all generations need some change, but this feels like too much, this feels like a completely different franchise. This isn't Pokemon. I'm starting to sign onto the theory this might be a temporary one off for Sun and Moon!

Also if I send my Ninetales from a previous gen over, will it automatically become Ice type?

I agree all generations need some change, but this feels like too much, this feels like a completely different franchise. This isn't Pokemon. I'm starting to sign onto the theory this might be a temporary one off for Sun and Moon!

Also if I send my Ninetales from a previous gen over, will it automatically become Ice type?

Wake me up when we get Sinnoh remakes, go back to gyms and E4, and get more megas.

I agree though. It doesn't feel like Pokemon anymore which is what I told Mitchman, if I wanted change I'd find a new franchise but I was sticking to Pokemon.

It might be like how Legend of Zelda has experimented in the past with things like Spirit Tracks, but then return to a normal typical Zelda game afterwards!

It might be like how Legend of Zelda has experimented in the past with things like Spirit Tracks, but then return to a normal typical Zelda game afterwards!

I'm okay with this I guess, as long as it's a one-off gimmick, just as the Orange Islands were in the anime.

Why is Exeggutor part Dragon? Is this some stealthy pun or cultural reference I'm missing? And what kind of environment necessitates a Pokemon to become a Dragon type?

Other than that, I like the new Pokemon for the most part (Oricorio's yellow form is blech though) and the changing of old forms is cool, but I will be so fucking pissed if we get a Kalos-sized amount of new Pokemon and have a bunch of remade older Pokemon. But if we DO get a bunch of remakes of old Pokemon, please don't let the majority be of Kanto Pokemon.

EDIT: I love how we get cool names for the Z moves like "Inferno Overdrive" and "Hydro Vortex," and Grass gets "Bloom Doom."

Last edited:
Actually, Kanto would be the better fit for the deep end Post Trials theory. SS Anne is in the game, as per the 99% leaks. I know we shouldn't discuss them outside the thread, but I really wonder.

Hm, true. SS Anne could easily suggest a Kanto revisit in the post-game, which I'd be totally fine with honestly. Though I also feel bad for its neighbor Johto if it isn't included :p

Then again, didn't they say in RGBY that SS Anne travels "around the world"? Could go practically anywhere to any region within reason. But solid point.

But the english trailer does have Kuki saying that by beating the island trails you do become the Island Trial Champion. So if you have defeated the 4 Kahuna you are by definition Champion. Something tells me these aren't the only Trial Captains though.

I think they confirmed one Captain per island. And to move on to the next island, you beat the Kahuna. New system sounds alright to me, I just want a nice big second region post game lol

EDIT: Jeez I fucked that post up. Am I dyslexic or something now? Misspelled quote like 5 times.

Last edited:
If I wanted something entirely different I'd find a new game, I've been playing Pokemon because I like the way it has been for the last six generations and five consoles.
and that same-ness has been hurting the series on the whole. it's not like it's radically different; SM is just a breath of fresh air.
This isn't Pokemon.
oh please.

If you guys go to Lurantis description on the Pokemon website, you will find youself they mentioned one of the island name. Akala Island.

Copy-paste from the description"
"Lurantis can learn Solar Blade, a move that releases a blade-shaped beam to mince up its foes. The blade is so sharp it is said it can slice a rock in half! Solar Blade is a move that no Pokémon has been able to learn before. With Solar Blade, Lurantis absorbs energy from the sun on the first move and then unleashes a powerful attack on the second turn. Lurantis is the Totem Pokémon of Lush Jungle, the site of an Akala Island trial. It will overwhelm trial-goers with the powerful combos it unleashes with the Pokémon allies it calls."
Akala is the Hawaiian word for raspberries.

According to some apparently confirmed leaks, old Pokemon transferred over from previous generations will keep their old forms, and transferring will be the only way to get them in SM.

I wonder how breeding will work with the forms? Ninetales + Ditto = Vulpix of the same form? Fire Ninetales female + Ice Ninetales male = Fire Vulpix? Those are my guesses. That could be a sick way to get weird egg moves onto other forms.

Back
Top Bottom