• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Looking thru the trailers and the official site this is what I speculalate:

Since Gumshoos a totem pokemon there could be a normal trial captain

Kaiwe owns a Marowak so there could be a fire type Alolan Marowak

Mallow might have a Totem Lurantis also she is the captain of Lush Jungle(and possibly ash's new travelling companion) this could also be loacted at Akala island

Another island is named which is Akala island

Going by Oricorio's typing the other island guardians could be: fire/fairy ghost/fairy and psychic/fairy

I don't think insulting their oldest fans who they are trying to win back with Pokemon Go is a nice or a wise thing to do.

Genwunner stab, not Gen I Fan stab.

The people who are actively offended by the existence of any post-Gen I anything were never going to come back anyway.

I the Z-moves explain the fifth skill slot that had people wondering a few months ago.

I'm curious of how Z-moves will be handled with duel type.

Could Z moves have anything to do with Zygarde or is that just coincidence?

So pretty much the majority of the chinese leaks got true. Mixed feeling about the news, but one after another:

-Alola forms: What's the purpose of introducing that if they could've done new pokemon instead? Especially since this probably means a small number of pokemon again to balance it out. New types are ok, but the designs are almost the same. Vulpix and Ninetails pretty much only got alternative colours. Would decrease the special factor of shinies if they only recolour older pokemon. Are they stronger than their originals or as strong? Are they limited to one per team? If not, then I can see everyone picking up the better versions. Why even introducing a new kind of special forms after one generation especially if these pokemon get stat boost to make them more usefull which would be an unnecessary kind of thing after the megas? I like the idea, but they have to do it right for it to be a decent addition to the game. They need to show me why I rather want an alternate form instead of an all new pokemon. Don't like any of these designs. Dump versions of Mega-Pokemon kind of designs.

-Z-Attacks sounds like a stronger forms of the gems, which would make them absolutely useless if all pokemon can use Z-Attacks. OK idea. Would mix up the competive metagame.

-Gumshoos is a decent looking pokemon. The hair still disturbs me a bit. Seems to be the standart normal only rodent. Hoped for a dual type like Bibarel and Diggersby. Too standard for my likings.

-I like Oricorio. My favourite of the new bunch. Nice to see a multi-form bird. Hope for many type-combinations.

-Formantis is also decent looking. Lurantis looks weird though.

-Don't like Minior that much. We also had many Rock/Flying types before.

-Mudsdale pre evolution Mudbray looks good. Better than it's evolution. I hope there is still an evolution for Mudsdale. Still looks like a mid-stager.

- And now for the most negative of this trailer: The island trials. Because this and the fact that the first trial captain Mallow is in the chinese information+starter leaks confirms no gyms and this pretty much kills ALL of my excitement for SM. Why not both? That shouldn't be a problem and it more looks like the storyline except the evil team consist of defeating a few trainer. Gyms and the league were an important part of the main pokemon games. I really really hope this is a one time thing for Alola.

-The positive: The leaked starter final evolutions are real and I REALLLLLLY like the starter evolutions, especially Popplio's.

I'm curious of how Z-moves will be handled with duel type.

I don't think dual-types factor into it very much. You give the Pokémon a type-based crystal, and if it matches (one of) the Pokémon's type(s), it uses the Z-move that corresponds to the crystal's type. At least, that is how I understand it.

Its basically confirmed that the 4 islands are the 4 colors of the primary types. With Kiawe on the Fire Island, it would make sense for Captain Sophocles(I cannot type this with a straight face like seriously)to be on Melemele, and Lana on the Ice Island. Marrow is a dent though, she IS on Akala after all. As for the amount of bosses, I know it sounds a lot but it makes sense. The infowe got today confirms multiple island trials to reach the Kahuna, while each one has a captain. I think 2 o each island at the most, to match the number of gym leaders, unfortunately.
if Mallow defies island-color-type convention by being on Akala ('pink'), then i think it's safe to say that there is not one to begin with. and perhaps there are more Captains. Lurantis being the Totem of Lush Jungle which is headed up by a Grass-type Captain, makes me wonder if all totems match the Captain of the area's typing, which would then facilitate an unrevealed Normal-type Captain.

edit: there's 7 trials anyways. we got that number at e3. lol.

Last edited:
I'm really loving Oricorio's forms. I can't say which one I like the best. These games are really looking to be way better than X and Y and ORAS. Those Alola forms caught me off guard, but I like the Ice/Fairy Ninetails. It looks much elegant than before! The Island challenges are a nice change to the regular straightforward 8 gym leaders and elite four. I really like new changes in Pokemon, it helps it being fresh and invigorating than looking stale imo. This region looks more natural and so realistic than ever before. I'm now feeling like X and Y were the beta games to see what the 3ds enviroment is capable of, and now to see it full force in Sun and Moon, I'm sure this game will be excellent on the main story and post-game content

if Mallow defies island-color-type convention by being on Akala ('pink'), then i think it's safe to say that there is not one to begin with. and perhaps there are more Captains. Lurantis being the Totem of Lush Jungle which is headed up by a Grass-type Captain, makes me wonder if all totems match the Captain of the area's typing, which would then facilitate an unrevealed Normal-type Captain.

edit: there's 7 trials anyways. we got that number at e3. lol.
Oh? So 7 trial captains, and 4 Kahunas. I think we will see 2 on each isle, with one captain for the legendary isle. Normal/Electric for the firdt isle, Grass/Fire on the second, Water/? on the third, with psychic on the last possibly. Maybe Hau becomes the 8th for a pseudo gym quest?

The 7 trials are defined as "finding items and visiting/walking through places. With "trial" it's more ment to be the generell exploring and walking through the regions, just only packed into 7 "routes" or "gym puzzles". Kahunas are the "gym leader's" of this concept. We need to wait if we also need to battle against the captains.

Right now it sound like "hey explore the route/place behind me". If you defeat that pokemon at the end of that place, you earn a badge. Win two of them so you can challenge the island master" kind of thing.

Now I want to see how they want to implement an evil team if we are always in those trials.

There are not 7 trials. Could someone put this in the confirmed information thread?

Alright now that I've rewatched the trailers multiple times, here are my thoughts:

What I like:
  • Fomantis/Lurantis. Best Pokémon so far, will definitely be on my team. Though I'm kinda sad they're pure grass type.
  • The Island Trials. They sound a lot more interesting than gyms, mostly because they seem to be quite diverse. It's not just battling but also searching for stuff, dancing, etc. And I like the system that you have to earn the right to travel to the next island. Beating these trials actually has a purpose, instead of just beating gyms for the sake of becoming a champion.
  • Poké Ride. It seems to replace HM's, that's all I need to know. Don't really care about the riding itself though.
What I'm not sure about:
  • The Alola forms. When I first saw them I hated them as I'd rather have new Pokémon instead of what seems like lazy recolors. But after seeing them a few more times, I've noticed there are more differences than that and it is kinda cool that some Pokémon have variations because they ended up in a different environment. However I do dislike that gen I Pokémon are getting the spotlight again and I'd still rather see new Pokémon than new forms. And just... poor Exeguttor didn't deserve this.
  • Oricorio. I do like the idea of having a different variation of one Pokémon on each island, but I'm just not very fond of the designs. Especially the yellow one.
  • Minior. I like its shield form, but its cores are just too... bubbly? Just not really my thing.
What I dislike:
  • Gumshoos. It's Trump. Can't unsee. Want to see it as little as possible.
  • Mudbray. It's just meh.
  • Totem Pokémon. Would rather fight a powerful new Pokémon than just a bigger version of one. Especially since one of them is Gumshoos :/
  • So many forms. Alola forms, Totem forms, Oricorio forms, Minior forms, ugh there's so many it's making my head hurt.
  • Z-moves. You have to do a ridiculous pose to get an overpowered move with names like Bloom Doom and Inferno Overdrive? No thanks.

Agree with Suki, imagine if your a new player just wanting to get into Pokemon, trying to wrap your head around all these new additions, as well as all the stuff from the past generations like Megas, etc

Also after watching the Japanese trailer, I'm so happy with the music we've heard so far from SM.

Agree with Suki, imagine if your a new player just wanting to get into Pokemon, trying to wrap your head around all these new additions, as well as all the stuff from the past generations like Megas, etc

And that's where the "type effectiveness is displayed in battle comes in". No help in memorizing Ninetails' weaknesses if there's two different kinds.

I think one thing people are not talking about enough is the Totem Pokemon. Are we going to be able to capture them? Will their stats be different from the rest of the species? How many are there?

Back
Top Bottom