• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Can you imagine a master ball mimic in the wild though? It honestly might be a bit to overboard for anyone to actually fall for, like if you saw a stack of a hundred dollar bills sitting around in the street as opposed to a ten. Its legitimacy would me much, MUCH easier to question. :LOL:

(I know that that wasn't an actual serious suggestion, and I replied because I really liked the suggestion, not to rip apart your idea or something. Just clarifying because I know that tone can be really hard to make clear through text, haha)
Thanks for explaining. That would be Troll Freak at its best! :p

Why does everybody think they're getting rid of the Gyms?! Seriously, just because they have a new kind of challenge in this game does not mean they're replacing the old one. Please, somebody point out to me exactly where in the trailer they said there weren't going to be any Gyms! I saw nothing to suggest that! They have never, in the history of the franchise, advertised the Gyms. It's a given that we'll have them. Stop jumping to conclusions.

Why does everybody think they're getting rid of the Gyms?! Seriously, just because they have a new kind of challenge in this game does not mean they're replacing the old one. Please, somebody point out to me exactly where in the trailer they said there weren't going to be any Gyms! I saw nothing to suggest that! They have never, in the history of the franchise, advertised the Gyms. It's a given that we'll have them. Stop jumping to conclusions.
Woah! Calm down. It's not a definite that Gyms are gone. So no need to get so worked up.

Well if the shoe fits and it looks like one t boot......
But yeah gyms are either REALLY hidden or properly replaced. Beating thw Island Trials makes you the Island Trial Champion, you have a badge case equivalent for your quest, and the Captains all have a unified sigil for their trainer class. Its not confirmed, but GF wouldn't place two similar quests in one game.

I think it's almost certain and obvious Island Trials are replacing Gyms~

FOR ALOLA!

What I don't get are the large amount of people acting like these will be the new Gyms in future games. Guys, it's called "THE ALOLA CHALLENGE", "THE ISLAND TRIALS". It seems VERY obvious this is specific to Alola~

Unless they plan on making EVERY region from now on based on Islands, I strongly doubt we are gonna be seeing them instead of Gyms after Alola~ The Gym challenge will almost certainly be back following Gen VII, IMO~

Unless they plan on making EVERY region from now on based on Islands, I strongly doubt we are gonna be seeing them instead of Gyms after Alola~ The Gym challenge will almost certainly be back following Gen VII, IMO~

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that these are specific to Alola.

That being said, however, I really don't think it would kill them to take a lesson from this and be at least a little more experimental with the Gym formula in future games. Hell, I personally wouldn't be in any way opposed to seeing more of these region-tailored challenges taking the place of Gyms in the future... I mean, if we want straight-up Gyms, they can always just do remakes. Have the main pair of games do something interesting, and let the remakes keep their traditional Gym structure.

Of course, it's Game Freak, so who really knows where they will go from here.

Perhaps we'll be getting ice stones?

"This is just a chunk of ice." Magic ice!" I don't believe you."

Level 30 while holding a Nevermeltice seems like a logical Ice Vulpix evol

During the Nintendo Treehouse, a question was asked "What do you do to become Pokemon Champion in Alola?" and the response was "Island Challenges." So it definitely seems like they're gone, or at least only optional content.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that these are specific to Alola.

That being said, however, I really don't think it would kill them to take a lesson from this and be at least a little more experimental with the Gym formula in future games. Hell, I personally wouldn't be in any way opposed to seeing more of these region-tailored challenges taking the place of Gyms in the future... I mean, if we want straight-up Gyms, they can always just do remakes. Have the main pair of games do something interesting, and let the remakes keep their traditional Gym structure.

Of course, it's Game Freak, so who really knows where they will go from here.

Even as someone who is also with the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I like the Alola Challenge idea~ It's something new and interesting to shake up the formula we're used to, without seeming to be TOO different. They don't need to do it every new Gen, IMO, but once in a while when they've got a nice theme going (like Hawaii/Hawaiian Islands), I don't see a problem with trying something new every once in a while~

So is the news they are talking about for the 12th is corocoro or is it entirely different news? Two bits of news from two different sources on the same day would be neat.

Probably one and the same. Its probably gonna be worthwhile though since they noted it. No idea just what else they can announce after yesterday except more Pokemon. But hey, the more single player stuff the merrier! I can see in deoth details about how some of the neew stuff works however.

No idea just what else they can announce after yesterday except more Pokemon.

Maybe for part of it, they will explain the VC transfers.

So is the news they are talking about for the 12th is corocoro or is it entirely different news? Two bits of news from two different sources on the same day would be neat.
It's probably a lot of the same stuff since it's supposed to focus on the islands of Alola.

And remember, we'll likely see it all first on the 8th or 9th, assuming history remains consistent.

I don't see why Gyms and the trials can't exist together. The games would get more challenging and could have introduced us something else apart from Gym/The Evil Organization/Legendary routine -- that said Gyms are NEVER bad ideas and we NEED them for like ever. Also it would be a perfect chance to give Ash's female companion some promising goal that is not cheesy and will make pefect sense since she will be from Alola.

Just please don't let Gyms go away.

Back
Top Bottom