• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Post-game legendary pokemon are really meh to me. Since I can't battle competitively, I have no reason to collect them other than to have shiny baubles in my PC boxes. And most of the time it's not even fun to find them. It's almost always a wander through a cave or something with no story to keep my interest. Just walk in, find sparkly one of a kind pokemon, throw pokeballs at it, put in PC.

But... thats my favorite part of the games!
Chasing down the elusive (insert name here), i finally track it down to its hiding spot, in the deepest, darkest part of a remote cavern.
There it is, a pokemon so rare, no one even knows it exists. I stare it down before sending out my trusty Parasect.
We slowly whittle down its health, as it puts up a valiant struggle; but its No match for me. I throw out a pokeball and watch as it rocks, once... twice... three times...

But... thats my favorite part of the games!
Chasing down the elusive (insert name here), i finally track it down to its hiding spot, in the deepest, darkest part of a remote cavern.
There it is, a pokemon so rare, no one even knows it exists. I stare it down before sending out my trusty Parasect.
We slowly whittle down its health, as it puts up a valiant struggle; but its No match for me. I throw out a pokeball and watch as it rocks, once... twice... three times...
This. I think so, too. Maybe we should use our imagination while searching for the legendaries. :LOL:

I believe that the island guardians form part of the island trials, Solgaleo and Lunala and maybe Marshadow form part of the story, with Magearna the Mythical this generation. So it's a nice 4-3-1 split. :)

I agree with Esserise, the number isn't a bother to me just as long as they are done well. When I look at legendaries, I want them to feel like a part of their region, add to their lore and story that each has to give, and develop its history and mythology through their roles. Admittedly, Sinnoh was a mixed bag in this regard as while you had an extensive mythology, you did have issues with legendaries like Heatran that were pretty underdeveloped and pretty much just 'there'. However, despite being tied for the second smallest, I can't say I felt Kalos' bunch were much better in that regard either, with Xerneas and Yveltal being almost just as bad as Heatran in terms of their depth and their story roles being poorly shoehorned in comparison to the Gen 3-5 main duos. They didn't feel as cohesive to the region as they should've, and as a result, they left a disappointing impression on me. On the flip side, despite having more legendaries then Kalos, I liked Hoenn's bunch since it felt like each legendaries had their own story and lore to add to the region and very few felt like they were just there for fluff, same with the Unova legendaries overall.

With that said, so far, Alola seems to be doing a great job with its legendaries as Tapu Koko has been given a good amount of depth in the small amount of details we've gotten about it so far then I felt Heatran got across the three different regions it appeared in. It also feels like a part of the region and its story due to its involvement in the island trials, which makes the region come alive so much, unlike Xerneas and Yveltal, who just popped in with some details that weren't expanded on. If that's an indication for what's coming with the rest, then I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they have in store for Alola's legendaries, regardless of how high or low its overall number will be.

However, despite being tied for the second smallest, I can't say I felt Kalos' bunch were much better in that regard either, with Xerneas and Yveltal being almost just as bad as Heatran in terms of their depth and their story roles being poorly shoehorned in comparison to the Gen 3-5 main duos. They didn't feel as cohesive to the region as they should've, and as a result, they left a disappointing impression on me.

Kalos is a bit of a weird one for me. I do love developed Legendaries that add to the lore of their region. But at the same time, I don't necessarily have a problem with them just being powerful, rarely-glimpsed creatures if that is what the game means for them to be (which isn't the case with several of Sinnoh's Legendaries, who try to have some mythological presence, but are undersold). In that regard, I do quite like Xerneas and Yveltal; they feel very old-school, and were a nice return to the old way of handling Legendaries as being just these powerful, natural creatures as opposed to being storied demigods. I wouldn't want them to fully revert to that model, and I am happy that SM seem to be doing a bit more with their Legendaries, but as a brief nostalgic homage, I enjoyed Xerneas/Yveltal. It probably helps that them not having a lot of backstory didn't equate to the region not having a lot of backstory. Kalos had its own lore that was largely independent of them, which I also thought was an interesting and fairly unique direction to go in.

In fact, my only real gripe in all of that is that I think they could have done a better job of connecting Xerneas/Yveltal to the Team Flare storyline when the time came. I mean, it's not that they don't foreshadow it at all. The woman in the house in Anistar City tells you that Team Flare came around and were looking for the Legendary Pokémon. And, earlier on, Diantha hypothesizes that they could have something to do with why Mega Evolution has been found in Kalos. The ultimate weapon is, as we know now, what bridges these elements. And besides all of that, it was just obvious that Xerneas/Yveltal would end up factoring into the plot somehow anyway, because they are on the covers and that's just how these things go now. But I don't know, something about how, only as soon as you enter the final Team Flare dungeon, they are suddenly revealed to be a crucial component of the weapon always feels like it comes a little out of left field to me.

Last edited:
I believe that the island guardians form part of the island trials, Solgaleo and Lunala and maybe Marshadow form part of the story, with Magearna the Mythical this generation. So it's a nice 4-3-1 split. :)

I'm sure we're past the days of having one Mythical Pokemon. If Generation 7 lasts three years, then we should have three more Mythical Pokemon.

Speaking of that... Something to consider is that Magearna is in the same spot as Manaphy and Victini, in that they both were revealed before their generations were released. In those generations, there were three more Mythicals

I can't stay up for the next bit of news so I will get to see the news when I can. As for legendary pokemon, Sinnoh was great with them and so was Unova. Only Kanto and Johto were bad with them considering none of the legends had anything to do with the plot.

I'm gonna pre-order Sun soon because I don't want to miss out on the Steelbook edition. I was hoping to hold out for version exclusive info in one of the trailers, but I figure it doesn't matter too much, that's what trading is for :)

So I feel like I've interpreted something incorrectly.

In the latest trailer there's a line of text that reads "Clear each island's trials and battle the kahunas"

Does that mean there may be multiple trial leaders per island? Since it says "trials".

I was under the impression that there was one trial leader per island.

In the latest trailer there's a line of text that reads "Clear each island's trials and battle the kahunas"

Does that mean there may be multiple trial leaders per island? Since it says "trials".

Nope, there are more than just four Captains. Mallow and Kiawe have both been pinpointed down to Akala Island, for example (and it seems likely than Lana is on Akala as well).

Nope, there are more than just four Captains. Mallow and Kiawe have both been pinpointed down to Akala Island, for example (and it seems likely than Lana is on Akala as well).

Yeah that's actually where I became confused because I was watching a gamexplain analysis video and they connected Mallow, Lana and Kiawe to Akala island.

Interesting if that's the case it sounds like we'll have even more important characters to battle with the trial leaders and kahunas combined.

You know I was just thinking about this last night but I love how more proactive these trial leaders seem to be. They act as your guide throughout the trial rather than just waiting around for you to come beat them.

There can be multiple trials per island.

In fact:
Kiawe is located on the volcano on Akala Island, Mallow is located in Lush Jungle which is also on Akala Island and Lana is located at the water basin on Akala Island.

Sophocles' location is very hard to pin point. So it's unknown at this point.

EDIT: Keep getting Ninja'd.

You know I was just thinking about this last night but I love how more proactive these trial leaders seem to be. They act as your guide throughout the trial rather than just waiting around for you to come beat them.

Yeah, and this time the region and nature is the "gym". Instead of gyms being these wacky assault courses isolated inside buildings and detached from the world.

This new trailer could show us more trial captains. Or possibly more of Akala Island. Either way, it's going to pose more questions than answers like most news has done so far.

At this point, I think they might show new Alolan Pokemon, maybe starter evos (This is highly doubtful but I'm dreaming big), and maybe some info on the evil team.

I wonder if the news on the 12th will feature what was shown in CoroCoro. Perhaps not in the Japanese trailer, but I can see the English trailer showing what was there.

I'd really like some more info on version exclusive Pokemon.

Yeah it's kinda strange how we haven't had anything revealed regarding exclusives (aside from the legends obviously) or the fossil Pokemon yet.

Although I guess you could say we got word of the evil team later than usual too so they're probably still on their way.

or the fossil Pokemon yet.
I wouldn't say that it's "strange" that we haven't got a word about the fossil pokemon yet. I mean, Aurorus and Tyrantrump were only revealed during XY's pre-release just a month before the games' release, so it's not really something uncommon to happen.

Back
Top Bottom