• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

• Schooling requires a certain level? Interesting...
  • Innards Out does not OHKO. So maybe it works on Counter rules.
  • Surge Surfer doubles speed under Electric Terrain! Pretty nice.
I was worried we wouldn't get clarification on this stuff.

So when I said this
But the grunts look just as likely to challenge me to a rap battle as a Pokemon battle.
I was completely correct, it seems. xD

Dat funky beat. I'm honestly liking Skull. I hope they're as as much of a breath of fresh air as they seem.

I love how Team Skull used a variety of Pokéballs. It's so simple I'm surprised they haven't done something like this before. It never made sense how the PC was seemingly the only one to use anything above a Pokéball.

Also, now that we've seen Alolan Marowak in action, I'm curious what Esserise has to say, since they (she?) has been riding on it looking better in its animations. (I don't know why that stook with me out of every other post, but I hope they're happy at least.)

It's he, and thanks.

Motion is definitely crucial to this one, I think (which I guess shouldn't be a surprise, with it being a dancer and all). I'm still not in love with it, but seeing it in motion now, I can definitely appreciate more of its subtleties and how the smaller changes help to make the final product work. Its constant, active movement in its idle animation is in-line with being a Fire-type, but I think the way it moves is also kinda freaky, but in a subdued sort of way, which goes nicely with the Ghost typing. Additionally, its slightly elongated limbs work much better to convey the ideas here than when they're just an illustration - in the animation, they not only make it feel more lithe (again, dancer), but they also give it a slightly uncanny feel when compared to regular Marowak (think... Slender Man, but more subtle).

The colors also look quite nice in-game.

I'm content. I still think it misses out on a lot of potential (Ghost Rider Marowak, come on!)... then again, less can absolutely be more depending on how you do it. Was that the right way to go here? I don't know. But I like it more than I did before.

So either the site is wrong on how you travel between islands(that you need to defeat a Kahuna to access the next one) or there is major post game content, region sized perhaps. Guzma is fought at level 30 in the Pagoda Garden on Pau Island, when the Totem Lurantis on Akala is at level 25, this is a Johto tier level curve.

All these new Pokémon are definitely designed to be seen in motion. It's a weird change but not one that I dislike. It makes me dislike CoroCoro reveals even more now though. If the official art can't show these Pokémon right, then a picture from a weird angle with a glare has no hope.

All these new Pokémon are definitely designed to be seen in motion. It's a weird change but not one that I dislike. It makes me dislike CoroCoro reveals even more now though. If the official art can't show these Pokémon right, then a picture from a weird angle with a glare has no hope.

Wishiwashi's School form is awesome in 3D, but I think the issue with the official art is how default the pose is. Different designs look better in different art styles too, I bet that they look better in the original designer's art style but their qualities are not fully moved over in the consistent art from Ken Sugimori(it's still him that draws them, right?).

Wishiwashi's School form is awesome in 3D, but I think the issue with the official art is how default the pose is. Different designs look better in different art styles too, I bet that they look better in the original designer's art style but their qualities are not fully moved over in the consistent art from Ken Sugimori(it's still him that draws them, right?).
It's things like this that make me wish we got to see the actual design process behind Pokémon. I want to see what they looked like before they were given over to Sugimori (or whoever) to be put in the universal style.

Washiwashi seems weird that it has a transform ability rather than an evolution.

That Raichu looks awesome but it still could've just been a mega form.

There's already a Team Skull that exist in Pokemon lol, Mystery Dungeon sure but it still already is a used name

Washiwashi seems weird that it has a transform ability rather than an evolution.

The talk about it needing to be at a certain level makes it sound like some weird combination of both.

First off, I am kind of disappointed that the leaks caused them to release the trailers earlier than expected. I was honestly looking forward to watching them go live since it would be at a time when I'm actually awake for once, so that's kind of disappointing. Seriously Nintendo, you need to work on preventing these leaks.

Anyway, the trailers were pretty neat. Washiwashi looked cute and its School form looked more impressive in the game footage. It makes sense for something like that to be a form change, but it still would have been cooler as an evolved form. I was surprised that Pyukumuku was just a Water type. I thought that it would have been a part Fighting type or something. It did look cute with its fist coming out of its mouth and its ability could come in handy. Morelull was cute and we finally have a Grass/Fairy type. It will make it even weaker to Poison moves, but it's a combination that fits and I'm surprised that it didn't show up sooner. It's too bad that they didn't reveal the English names for the sand castle Pokemon or Bewear's pre-evolved form, but hopefully it won't take too long for those to be officially revealed.

Getting more details on Team Skull was pretty cool. I kind of loved the music playing during the English trailer. That combined with the grunts' designs made me think of gangsters wanting to have a rap battle with you, which was hilarious. Their poses were also kind of funny. Not quite as ridiculously over the top as Team Flare's, but enough to where it was funny. Hopefully, their movement won't make it difficult to take them seriously like what happened with Team Flare for me. Both the Admin and Boss have interesting designs and I like the idea of Team Skull being made up of trainers who couldn't pass the Island Trials. It was a nice touch that they use something other than Pokeballs too. It does make me wonder if we won't see them in the storyline for awhile, but they could just have stronger Pokemon that required them to use an Ultra Ball later in the game instead.

Ah, I almost forgot the Alola forms. I do like Alola Meowth a bit more now. I think that the design might have worked a bit better if it was a darker shade of blue or something, but the light shade of blue probably fits with it being more shady or sassy. I was really surprised that a seemingly normal Cubone could evolve into the Alola Marowak. Gaining the Ghost type trait makes sense, but it's really weird that a Ground type could just evolve into a Fire/Ghost type. At least with Exeggutor, it only gained one new type rather than two all at once. If Alola Cubone was a Fire type or at least a Fire/Ground type, then that would be okay. That being said, Alola Marowak does look pretty cool in the game footage.

Alola Raichu is a nice surprise. I always wondered why Raichu didn't get a Mega Evolution back during X/Y and this is probably why. I think Electric/Fairy might have been more fitting for it, but they already gave that type combination to Tapu Koko in this generation. Psychic is a pretty interesting choice though and I do like how it's surfing along its tail. It's kind of adorable and I do like that Raichu is getting some bit of attention. I could totally see them having a new Pikachu vs. Raichu fight with the Alola Raichu in the anime.

Last edited:
Morelull was cute and we finally have a Grass/Fairy type. It will make it even weaker to Poison moves, but it's a combination that fits and I'm surprised that it didn't show up sooner.

Are you not counting Cottonee/Whimsicott because they were retconned Fairy-types?

So either the site is wrong on how you travel between islands(that you need to defeat a Kahuna to access the next one) or there is major post game content, region sized perhaps. Guzma is fought at level 30 in the Pagoda Garden on Pau Island, when the Totem Lurantis on Akala is at level 25, this is a Johto tier level curve.
If I had to SWAG an explanation it would probably be that Ohmori's finally delivered on a decent number of fans' wild dream of a more open game. Each island probably has two-three trials that are all around the same level. That and Guzma's Ariados is his first one at 30 (with the Gumshoos at 29) so there's probably another small jump at his ace. Maybe. Maybe not. We could be overestimating the number of trials and the amount of battling in them as well.

Seriously Nintendo, you need to work on preventing these leaks
I don't imagine there's much they can do if they're using YouTube. The reason they're leaked is probably because of how they do the video uploads which would be why every YT info dump has been leaked and not necessarily an insider-leak.

So Innard Out is like a free Final Gambit in someway. Wishiwashi is kind of like evolution and yet it's not, I love GF for creating these kind of gray situations. And from the Japanese trailer, it looks like there will be no Alolan Cubone and no Alolan Pikachu, it's a big "duh" on the Pikachu.

Back
Top Bottom