• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

If I had to SWAG an explanation it would probably be that Ohmori's finally delivered on a decent number of fans' wild dream of a more open game. Each island probably has two-three trials that are all around the same level. That and Guzma's Ariados is his first one at 30 (with the Gumshoos at 29) so there's probably another small jump at his ace. Maybe. Maybe not. We could be overestimating the number of trials and the amount of battling in them as well.

I don't imagine there's much they can do if they're using YouTube. The reason they're leaked is probably because of how they do the video uploads which would be why every YT info dump has been leaked and not necessarily an insider-leak.
Over estimation or not, the battle tajes place on what should be the 3rd island. If the site is accurate, which is should be ffs its their own advertising, we access the next island after clearing the trials on the one we are on first. Which means unless there is a huge second portion of the story itself after the trials, we would be somewhere at the halfway mark when encountering Guzma for the first time. Hoenn is around this level curve as well, but after Lavaridge it spikes cause of the games longevity in the later half. If it is as open as we think, then they can't get away with going higher then level 40 for Pau, and around level 50 for the end game.

I was gonna post this last night with the screenshots, but I decided to wait till the trailer actually came out.

Pyuyukumu (or however you spell it) is adorable. It's okay if you always barf little bud, your still cute to me! It's color scheme is very appealing too.

Morelull - The only one I'm really meh about in the trailer. It's design is nice but it hasn't really grown on me yet. I would have much rather seen Sunaba and it's evolution, as well as the Bewear pre-evo in this trailer than this guy.

Wishiwashi - when CoroCoro leaked this guy, I really wasn't very into him, but now that I've seen how he looks in game, my thoughts are completely turned around. Unless we get an even better water Pokemon, this guy is going on the Moon Dream Tream. That thing is massive! I absolutely love it!

Alolan Marowak - Really neat, nice homage to the ghost in the Pokemon Tower too. I like how it spins it's flaming bone in game, very nice touch.

Alolan Meowth - He's my sassy bro. We chill XD

Alolan Raichu - You know, Raichu was starting to go down on my favorites list, but now they're this. You might be holing the number two spot again, buddy! I love Alolan Raichu, everything from how it looks to it's psychic typing. It works and I love it. It's a nice reference to the Gen 1 anime too. I'll probably end up using him on the Dream Team if we don't get any better electric types. He'll definitely be named Puka. Part of me hopes they make an Alolan Pikachu along with him, but I don't want Alolan Pikachu to outshadow Alolan Raichu

Team Skull
I am quite fond of the majority of the evil teams (except Plasma), though not all the their morals are the greatest. I've been waiting for a team that's less of: Destroy the Region, Mess up space and time, and Terraforming, and I honestly wasn't expecting Game Freak to have another evil organization that wasn't any of these things. Especially with these games. I was honestly expecting two evil teams, one who wanted everlasting day, and the other that wanted everlasting night. I would have put money on it. But here comes Team Skull, which defiantly looks like it can be a crime organization, like our buddies in Team Rocket. Their designs are awesome and I really can't wait to see more of Guzma. I'm interested to see how he's connected with Kukui. He talked to him like they were old buds, or old rivals, or something. I hope that will get explained.

Last edited:
Over estimation or not, the battle tajes place on what should be the 3rd island. If the site is accurate, which is should be ffs its their own advertising, we access the next island after clearing the trials on the one we are on first. Which means unless there is a huge second portion of the story itself after the trials, we would be somewhere at the halfway mark when encountering Guzma for the first time. Hoenn is around this level curve as well, but after Lavaridge it spikes cause of the games longevity in the later half. If it is as open as we think, then they can't get away with going higher then level 40 for Pau, and around level 50 for the end game.
i'm not following your thinking. there is no 'standard' for when the boss of the evil team is first battled or met. (ref: Giovanni is first met and battled circa four and five; Archer is only met at the end of the Johto-Rocket arch; Arianna is met and first battled before the seventh badge; Archie/Maxie are met before the third badge and then battled after the third badge; DP-Cyrus is met after the second badge and then battled after the seventh; Pt-Cyrus is met at the very beginning and battled after the sixth; Ghetsis is met at the beginning and battled at the end; N also met at the beginning and then battled periodically; Lysandre is met after the first badge and then first battled after the seventh.)

it's definitely interesting that what is perhaps your first battle on the third island takes place at level 30, but the implications that has on the story isn't necessarily something we can pull right now, especially since between the two trailers it would seem that we run into Skull a fair amount (that Pokemon Center that you can't see on Melemele's art; the harbor at Alola-lulu; Lush Jungle; perhaps the ranch on Akala (?); that gorge where Riding Pokemon was teased; the walled city; the garden in the third island's big city; as well as a couple other locations we just can't tell that includes a battle with Plumeria (ft. level 22+ Golbat?) around here?; and a double battle with a Haunter and Drowzee ).

Last edited:
So a regular Cubone evolves into Alolan Marowak, which is odd. It suddenly shifts from Ground, to dropping it completely and obtaining Fire/Ghost dual-typing. Very strange how they went about that.
I think it would apply to Pikachu and Exeggcute as well. Those two seem to be normal versions in the games but evolve into an Alola form. Not all Alola forms have to be for the entire evolution line.

Saw the latest trailers. Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later though I'm surprised it was so late. We got a glimpse of our newest enemy team and...

I'm all for Team Skull! Those guys are just making me laugh! Trying so hard to be all thuggin' I love those guys already!! What little we were shown of the leader makes me pretty interested in how the story will play out.

As cute as Alolan Raichu and cool Alolan Marowak are, I really hope we get Alolan variants of Pokemon from other lands revealed verrrrry soon...

I am So looking forward to smashing each and every single Team Skull member.
i dont even know what thier deal is, they just annoy me (in a good way?).

Lets crack some skulls! XD

The next bit of news that we know would be coming is next month's corocoro. However, we could get a surprising trailer at the end of this month or at the start of the next.

Saw the latest trailers. Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later though I'm surprised it was so late. We got a glimpse of our newest enemy team and...

I'm all for Team Skull! Those guys are just making me laugh! Trying so hard to be all thuggin' I love those guys already!! What little we were shown of the leader makes me pretty interested in how the story will play out.

As cute as Alolan Raichu and cool Alolan Marowak are, I really hope we get Alolan variants of Pokemon from other lands revealed verrrrry soon...

If the leak is true, then, only Pokes from RBY will be getting Alolan forms.

Otherwise there would be no way to get the original forms of these Pokes. (or something to that effect, if I understand correctly)

i'm not following your thinking. there is no 'standard' for when the boss of the evil team is first battled or met. (ref: Giovanni is first met and battled circa four and five; Archer is only met at the end of the Johto-Rocket arch; Arianna is met and first battled before the seventh badge; Archie/Maxie are met before the third badge and then battled after the third badge; DP-Cyrus is met after the second badge and then battled after the seventh; Pt-Cyrus is met at the very beginning and battled after the sixth; Ghetsis is met at the beginning and battled at the end; N also met at the beginning and then battled periodically; Lysandre is met after the first badge and then first battled after the seventh.)

it's definitely interesting that what is perhaps your first battle on the third island takes place at level 30, but the implications that has on the story isn't necessarily something we can pull right now, especially since between the two trailers it would seem that we run into Skull a fair amount (that Pokemon Center that you can't see on Melemele's art; the harbor at Alola-lulu; Lush Jungle; perhaps the ranch on Akala (?); that gorge where Riding Pokemon was teased; the walled city; the garden in the third island's big city; as well as a couple other locations we just can't tell that includes a battle with Plumeria (ft. level 22+ Golbat?) around here?; and a double battle with a Haunter and Drowzee ).
Point is that the sites summary suggests a linear island progression, going from one islabd to the next without much junping around if at all. Basically, unlike other regions at the halfway mark, the backtracking should be minimal, which is why I felt that commenting on the levels was needed. Especially without a league towards the end of the game, its interesting to see just what is going to be the story's level cap.

Team Skull did mention that they were the group who didn't become Trial Captains. So this could be a revenge story? I would be up for that! Hopefully, not a save-the-world plot again.

Anyone noticed there are entries for the Dragonite and Crobat lines on the official Japanese website with Sun and Moon flavor text. Could mean something.

An Alolan form Crobat could open up the idea of Alolan forms not being just for Kanto Pokemon. Or it could be an exception.

I say it would be an exception since it's the only final stage not to be introduced in gen 1.

It wouldn't make sense to give just Golbat an alola form.

I wouldn't say it's an exception as its similar to Pokemon like Steelix & Magnezone in that they both evolve from a Gen I Pokemon.

Alolan Magnezone would be interesting as Magneton evolves based on location anyway.

I'm expecting to get another trailer at the end of this month or the start of September. I mean for the last two months (July and August) we've had new trailers on the 1st of each month.

The trend seems to be about 2-3 weeks between reveals.

Back
Top Bottom