• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

I think there will be 8 trials or gyms but in a new way and form. League could be the same.
I think they want to show us a region with other traditions but with similar ways of doing it.

The amount of battles was right but why the hell not for once change the name "gym" and "league" and allow them to not unly use types but also focus on other things more?Plus how many times we got mono typed pokes in gyms?
for once we should get a "gym" based on type have pokes and allow there secondary types , abilities and movepools to shine more too.

It is possible that the monthly update could be later in the month if they wanted to have it around the same time as CoroCoro comes out, but I'm still pretty positive that we'll get at least something from the Nintendo Direct tomorrow. It would be kind of odd to have a Nintendo Direct and not focus on Sun/Moon at all when they're pretty much the biggest 3DS releases for this year. How much news we can get remains to be seen, but we'll probably get at least something.
The Japanese Direct has a fotnote specifying that the direct is for games coming out till the end of the year, so besides MonHun Stories(at least I think its coming out this year) and a last madcap dash surprise game, Pokemon SM is the only real big thing that they have to feature for this,at least in Japan.

I think SM will be one of the best Pokemon games.

For me, the best Pokemon games ever are: Emerald, Crystal, Platinum, HGSS, BW2 and ORAS (not in order of preference).

And I feel that SM is going to join this club. It might not be the best, but being one of the best is good enough.
That is pretty bold. Sun and Moon haven't come out yet so we don't know how good they would be. The next games after them could surpass them by a mile for all we know. Sun and Moon are the first pair of gen 7 games so it probably be fairly good. Usually the last games of a gen have better content and post game but we will see what these games would have in store for us. Agreed with Emerald, Platinum, HGSS and BW2. Never played Crystal or any of the gen 2 and 1 games. ORAS was great.

I am real tired of the "the first pair of a new generation will have less content than the last pair of games of the generation."

I really hope Sun and Moon breaks this concept. :)

It's not really a concept that can be broken. The initial pair of games for a new generation require them to develop the new engine and the new programming, which consumes more time. Later games in a generation work with that already-established system, so Game Freak then have more time to focus in implementing additional content because the core work has already been completed.

It's not really a concept that can be broken. The initial pair of games for a new generation require them to develop the new engine and the new programming, which consumes more time. Later games in a generation work with that already-established system, so Game Freak then have more time to focus in implementing additional content because the core work has already been completed.
Yes, this is usually the reason for it. But it can be broken. I feel like Sun and Moon will certainly do this as the anniversary games where they can go all out.

Yes, this is usually the reason for it. But it can be broken. I feel like Sun and Moon will certainly do this as the anniversary games where they can go all out.

It is an inevitability of the production schedule and of the very idea of having "generations" of games. Games that come later in a generation will basically always have more content because they require significantly less core work. This isn't something that they can just shake their heads at and say, "No, not this time."

That is not, however, to say that SM will lack content (I think the fact that they have had an extra year to work on them and that they are working with familiar hardware could indicate that there may be quite a fair amount), but that is a separate matter.

If they do go all out then there wouldn't be much for the next games. Therefore they have to limit the content that first pair games have so the next games would be even better. I think that is pretty logical in my opinion.

I've had a thought for a while now that may not be that popular. What if Sun and Moon are the only games in gen 7? As of next year the NX will likely be coming out. It's supposed to be a hybrid that basically makes both Nintendo consoles obsolete. I can't imagine them spiting a gen up between consoles. So what if they go all out in Sun and Moon and then make gen 8 on the NX? They've already proven they aren't going to do the traditional stuff anymore with gen 6 not having a 3rd game of any kind. Even gen 5 only having a set of sequels and no remakes is a change in direction. I suppose the only only way for them to get around upgrading to the NX right away and expanding the life span of gen 7 would be to make a gen 4 remake. That's the only way I see them staying on the 3ds anyway....

With the way they drop news pretty early in the month and how big Pokemon Sun and Moon is, I think it would be very surprising if there isn't a trailer or any talk about Sun and Moon in the Direct.
I'd think the same. I don't know of any other huge upcoming 3DS titles, and even if there are any, I doubt they'd be bigger than Sun and Moon.

I've had a thought for a while now that may not be that popular. What if Sun and Moon are the only games in gen 7? As of next year the NX will likely be coming out. It's supposed to be a hybrid that basically makes both Nintendo consoles obsolete. I can't imagine them spiting a gen up between consoles. So what if they go all out in Sun and Moon and then make gen 8 on the NX? They've already proven they aren't going to do the traditional stuff anymore with gen 6 not having a 3rd game of any kind. Even gen 5 only having a set of sequels and no remakes is a change in direction. I suppose the only only way for them to get around upgrading to the NX right away and expanding the life span of gen 7 would be to make a gen 4 remake. That's the only way I see them staying on the 3ds anyway....
Only one pair of games in a gen? That would be the worst thing that would ever happen to pokemon. Game Freak usually make about 4 games and it usually takes 3 to 4 years. Moving on to gen 8 straight after Sun and Moon makes no sense. They may have broken some traditions but there be a backlash if gen 7 had only two games in total.

There wasn't when Gens I and II had only three.
That is because they were just starting out. Now that they are more developed and capable, there is no reason to be lazy by creating just two games for a gen.

Ah, I see your point. Who knows? Maybe we will get a third version, or even sequels, perhaps compatible with the NX?

If they do go all out then there wouldn't be much for the next games. Therefore they have to limit the content that first pair games have so the next games would be even better. I think that is pretty logical in my opinion.
Personally, I feel like they've already gone all out so to speak.
We've seen a lot of creativity and innovation from SM that it feels like they're pulling out all the stops.

Game Freak usually make about 4 games and it usually takes 3 to 4 years.

The only generation with four separate installments is the Japanese slate for Generation I, so I don't know where you're getting that they "usually make about four games."

but there be a backlash if gen 7 had only two games in total.

Probably only as much of a "backlash" as there was when they "skipped Z," which wasn't really all that much since it basically amounted to fans arguing on the Internet.

Now that they are more developed and capable, there is no reason to be lazy by creating just two games for a gen.

I think this is a rather careless accusation of "laziness." Do you know how much work goes into making the games either way, regardless of whether they're for the 3DS or the NX?

Last edited:
That the NX is coming out soon doesn't mean much though. The 3DS came out early 2011 and more than a year later GF still released BW2 on the regular DS.

I can see them making Sun/Moon and the next gen VII game also available on the NX, but I doubt the next games are going to be NX only.

That is pretty bold. Sun and Moon haven't come out yet so we don't know how good they would be. The next games after them could surpass them by a mile for all we know. Sun and Moon are the first pair of gen 7 games so it probably be fairly good. Usually the last games of a gen have better content and post game but we will see what these games would have in store for us. Agreed with Emerald, Platinum, HGSS and BW2. Never played Crystal or any of the gen 2 and 1 games. ORAS was great.
Of course, SM might turn out to be disappointing. If it ends up being an other typical first pair of a generation, it will not have much content and it will not be one of the best games.
But if it ends up being a standalone Anniversary thing, it could have more content than typical first pair games. You are right though, we haven't seen how much content SM actually have, so it can perfectly end up being a typical content lacking initial pair of games, like all the previous generations, more or less.

—————
@RainbowLifeAndLove @Esserise
Well, to give some context to the conversation:

- the first pair of a new generation, that is the first generation on a new handheld (DP and XY) is developed in 3 years.

- the first pair of games of a new generation, that is the second generation on that hardware (BW and SM) are made in 2 years.
This is likely because the development of the new engine and graphics, would take one extra year of development, whereas the second generation on the same hardware reuses the engine.

And from official sources (Masuda, Ohmori, etc) we know that:

- XY and BW2 started development simultaneously, with the staff being divided between those two games until BW2 was ready, at which point the BW2 staff joined the XY staff.

- ORAS started development once XY was finished, and was developed in a year. However, unlike what GF usually do, the entire staff developed ORAS, and no other game was developed simultaneously during that one year, allowing Game Freak to concentrate on ORAS and speed up the development process notably.

- SM development only started once ORAS was complete. SM will be developed in two years, just like BW.

With those things in mind, amd seeing how BW weren't any more content packed than other beginnings of a generation, it probably means that we shouldn't expect SM to break the tradition of those games having less content than the latr games of their generation.

However, considering they are an Anniversary game, I still have a feeling that they could be somwhere in the middle in terms of content, with more content than any previous initial pair, but less content than third versions and remakes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom