• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

You do need to substantiate it, because you can't just keep saying, "No, it's lazy" as if that is a self-evident fact. Saying it over and over isn't going to make your argument for you. What about it is lazy, when jumping ahead and making a new generation game for a newer, unfamiliar system like the NX would likely require a lot more work than making another game for the well-worn 3DS system would?
No I don't. One pair of pokemon games is not enough for a generation and Game Freak knows this. Plus Sun and Moon would not have a huge amount of content for story or post game so they need to make another pair of games that would have the larger content.

No I don't. One pair of pokemon games is not enough for a generation and Game Freak knows this. Plus Sun and Moon would not have a huge amount of content for story or post game so they need to make another pair of games that would have the larger content.

They have had an extra year to work on SM due to the 2015 hiatus, and it is the third entry on the 3DS system, with which they are familiar by now. Even a cursory glance at the revealed information thus far shows that there are a considerable amount of new features.

I still don't see how it is lazy to take initiative and get ahead of the curve on the NX. For example, at my workplace, I myself had only six projects slated for today, and a total fifteen spread out over next week. I could have been lazy and stopped after those six projects, but I decided to get the jump on the work for next week by going ahead completing the fifteen jobs that were slated for then. It was harder work, but more beneficial in the long run.

Similarly, the 3DS is an aged system, and Pokémon's presence on the system will, by the end of next year, have lasted for approximately three years. Regardless of the number of total generations, that's about average for their presence on a given console. They spent approximately three years on the Game Boy, approximately three years on the Game Boy Color, approximately four years on the Game Boy Advance, and six years on the Nintendo DS (but that was an abberation, as the DS ended up having a lot of staying power, and let's not forget that there were two whole years of jack-squat between DP and Platinum). Three years on the 3DS would not be deficient - and in fact, if you break it down by total number of projects, having three releases (not generations) across those years is a solid trend:

Game Boy - Red & Green, Red & Blue, Yellow
Game Boy Color - Gold & Silver, Crystal
Game Boy Advance - Ruby & Sapphire, FireRed & LeafGreen, Emerald
Nintendo DS - Diamond & Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold & SoulSilver, Black & White, Black 2 & White 2
Nintendo 3DS - X & Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, Sun & Moon

None of this, of course, is to say that they will move on to the NX after Sun & Moon. But I think that it is within the realm of possibility, and wouldn't even be all that unusual.

Last edited:
Wrong. Gen 5 and 6 had 4 games in total. The backslash would be bigger than skipping Z since having two games in one gen is just asking for the franchise to be cancelled. And it is lazy if they decide to make only one pair of games for gen 7 and then go directly to next generation.

Backlash for what...moving onto a new gen? I doubt there'd be any backlash for Game Freak giving us more content and more Pokemon, not to mention a whole new region.

And considering Game Freak is constantly working on something, it's a stretch to call them "lazy". A a new generation would take up more resources and time than a secondary pair /third game, especially if they weren't on the 3DS, so it'd kind of the be opposite, really.

As much as I doubt Sun/Moon will be the only games this Gen, I doubt people would be too bothered if Sun/Moon were the only ones. New generation = a lot more attention and hype.

Hmmm, if Z-Crystals have their own bag slot or case, then that implies that there should be enough unique moves for separate Pokemon besides the 18 types. Also makes me think that megas are more likely then ever, with a mega stone bag slot/case.

I would argue that staying on the 3DS is "lazier" than continuing on to the next system. would it be weird for them to do one set of games for a gen and move on? sure, but in the end the odds are we'd have a better game waiting for us. It's already been made clear GF can and has made models that are ready for a a better system. when people take the models out of the games they look crisp and clean. What's holding them back and honestly most Nintendo games is the sub par specs on the Nintendo consoles. The NX is us pposedly a big step in the right direction. I for one have been waiting a long time for a main series Pokemon game in HD. If they want to do only one set of games for gen 7 and then start hyping a brand new gen that's in HD next year then let em! Honestly if the rumors are true we may be getting a new Pokemon game next year anyway on the NX regardless of what gen they're in. Either way I'd be more than happy for a new set of games to come out on the NX after Sun and Moon, because as great as they seem the first set of games on the NX will probably be better. lol

I see Sun and Moon, Generation 7, as a celebration of the 20th anniversary. Another pair of Gen7 games wouldn't feel as special as Sun and Moon with its big nostalgia factor and status as the anniversary games.

So only Sun and Moon for the seventh generation seems very likely.

I see Sun and Moon, Generation 7, as a celebration of the 20th anniversary. Another pair of Gen7 games wouldn't feel as special as Sun and Moon with its big nostalgia factor and status as the anniversary games.

So only Sun and Moon for the seventh generation seems very likely.
RBY on virtual console were meant to celebrate the anniversary. Having Sun and Moon as the only gen 7 games is lazy and a bad choice on Game Freak's part. Sun and Moon won't have as much content as others seem to think it will have.

RBY on virtual console were meant to celebrate the anniversary.

Everything they're doing this year is meant to celebrate the anniversary. The VCs are one aspect, SM are another.

Sun and Moon won't have as much content as others seem to think it will have.

So you may think, but you don't know any more than we do right now.

RBY on virtual console were meant to celebrate the anniversary. Having Sun and Moon as the only gen 7 games is lazy and a bad choice on Game Freak's part. Sun and Moon won't have as much content as others seem to think it will have.

You really aren't providing much of an argument here. Saying it's lazy just because you want more games out of gen 7 doesn't mean it actually IS lazy. I think what this all boils down to is either way we'll get new games probably next year or so and it really doesn't matter whether they're on the 3DS or the NX. The fact of the matter is making a game on the NX WILL be more challenging for GF as it'll be a system they haven't produced for yet. They have everything they need for the 3DS already and while Sun and Moon are different from gen 6 the over all engine is probably very similar. On the subject of Sun and Moon having content or not I'd wager that it probably has more than the average first pair of game for a gen. They've already proven that there's a bunch to do and with this much shown off with 2 and a half months left I'd imagine they still have plenty more to show us. Also no....the virtual console games are not the 20th anniversary games....Sun and Moon are. Before they were announce their code name was Niji (rainbow) and they were often talked about as being the special game to celebrate the series. Hence the line in the announcement trailer "It all comes together" The VC release are just meant to help celebrate the anniversary.....

Why would it be lazy to spend much more time, effort, resources and money on perfecting two games than dividing these factors between four games which could lead to both pairs not being at their best?

@Arceus the Dragon; You don't what Sun and Moon will have in terms of content. None of us do,only GF does. Stop acting like you know it all when you clearly don't.
I am not acting like I know it all. I don't appreciate that tone of voice so don't give me attitude.

Why would it be lazy to spend much more time, effort, resources and money on perfecting two games than dividing these factors between four games which could lead to both pairs not being at their best?
It be pointless to even make gen 7 if Sun and Moon are the only games in the gen. It doesn't take long to finish the games before players get bored. More games equals more money. Pretty logical from my point of view.

@Arceus the Dragon; Actually, you do. A lot, to be honest. I won't give you attitude, if you stop giving everyone else attitude.
Actually I don't. Don't assume to know me when you don't. I am not giving people an attitude. I am expressing my opinion on how many games gen 7 would have. If you are going to be not very nice then don't reply to me.

It be pointless to even make gen 7 if Sun and Moon are the only games in the gen.

Call them Gen VII games or Gen VI games or anything else; it is largely irrelevant. The important part is that they are a key release in the biggest year for the franchise; they are about as far away from "pointless" as it can get. There is simply no way that there weren't going to be new games this year, and it doesn't really matter what they call them.

More games equals more money. Pretty logical from my point of view.

Guess what? New games on the NX would still be new games and would still make money.

Call them Gen VII games or Gen VI games or anything else; it is largely irrelevant. The important part is that they are a key release in the biggest year for the franchise; they are about as far away from "pointless" as it can get. There is simply no way that there weren't going to be new games this year, and it doesn't really matter what they call them.

Guess what? New games on the NX would still be new games and would still make money.
Yeah but we are not getting pokemon main series games on NX until gen 8. I do think it is wasteful to have only two games in a gen that are unlikely to be huge in content. There has to be at least one more pair of games in gen 7.

You have no way of knowing if they won't be huge in content or not before you play the game.

Besides, if this means they've finally stopped releasing a 'bigger and better!' version of the same game after the first two versions come out, I'm all for it. The only third version of a game I have ever bought is Platinum, and that's solely because the used game store I was visiting happened to have a copy. Requiring a third version of a game to add more content with the same story is for the most part really money grubbing in my opinion. A new generation set of games and remakes are really all we need in a new generation, in my opinion. Though sequels like Black2/White2 are fine since, again, they're sequels and not the same game with a bit more content tacked on.

Personally, I would prefer to have Generation VII consist of more than just Sun and Moon. Not because it would feel lazy otherwise, but became it would feel kinda empty.

That would be less core games than Generation II, for some comparisons. Unprecedented.

I have my doubts about Sun/Moon being the only seventh generation games. Despite people saying that the 3DS is a dead system and all of the NX rumors out there, they are still putting out new 3DS games even next year. I don't know if they'd jump into the NX system that quickly when we usually get a couple of years after a system is out before a main series game is out. It really depends on how Sun/Moon turn out, but I could see them releasing another pair of games after Sun/Moon.

That being said, it's pretty ridiculous to claim that moving onto a new generation so fast would be lazy. Creating a video game in general takes a lot of time, energy, effort and money. Creating a brand new generation of Pokemon in a new region with new characters to interact with would not be lazy. New Pokemon means more hype which means more money. While Sun/Moon looks like it has a lot of content, we can't really say how much it has until we actually play them. I don't think Sun/Moon will be the only games in this generation and I feel like we're getting a bit too focused on what will come after them when they haven't even been released yet, but I wouldn't be so dismissive about the possibility or claim that it would be lazy.

I think what really matter is that Sun and Moon are content filled games. The way they are being hyped up is different then the way the other games were. These games are meant to be the culmination of the past twenty years in some way. I highly doubt they'll b treated like past first pair games and completely devoid of content. It's entirely possible that GF has filled Sun and Moon to the brim with content and then called it a day for gen 7. Precedent doesn't mean that the same stuff will go on for ever. the series is changing. From gen 5 on we are now essentially in a time where we don't need a "3rd game". From this point forward I can see GF connecting gens more closely than before. Obviously we have the whole Zygarde thing so it seem now that they are using the new games in general to finish up old stories when necessary. Either way I doubt Sun and Moon will be as empty as XY were so using the excuse of them not having content is a silly argument.

Back
Top Bottom