• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Well, firstly, as far as I know, GameFreak only produces main series games. If the article is correct, we are probably getting a main series game. If the article is incorrect, we could get anything or nothing.

As for why I'm betting on Kanto if it's a main series game--Timing, marketing, etc.

Kanto (while it never died) has been bigger than ever because of Pokemon Go and the 20th anniversary. The rumor states the game would come within 6 months of release. FRLG are currently the oldest Pokemon games without a remake (the fact they are a remake, imo, doesn't matter at all.) since RSE got the ORAS treatment. Kanto has also not been in 3D and GF is probably wanting to make that happen. One could argue Sinnoh remakes, but not only is the time frame of 6 months from NX release too short for DP remakes, but Sinnoh is still technically playable on 3DS, so I believe they will wait until the next console if they do DP remakes. Kanto would likely be a quicker process (the region is smaller, etc.). I would expect a sequel type thing, maybe 20~ years later. Maybe even with a Johto post game. Who knows? Another possibility often cited is a third version/sequel/follow up to Sun/Moon. But it's far too soon for that.

Overall, I think the rumor is either exaggerating or contains false information. But IF it's true, I expect Kanto (somewhat unfortunately).
Kanto is on the DS system in HGSS so it too is playable on 3DS. Also RBY on virtual console makes Kanto playable on 3DS too. There are already valid points to why Kanto won't come back for a while and those points outnumber the points that indicate that it might come back.

Sinnoh remakes is what I am betting when we will get another pair of games for gen 7 after Sun and Moon. Anyway, the news today was small but maybe the news on the 6th has more to offer this time round.

They could always make a sequel that takes place in Kanto. That way old region, new plot, possibly new features that weren't in the originals because it's all new.
Perhaps but after all the Kanto stuff in XY, RBY on virtual console, HGSS + GSC having Kanto post game, FRLG as remakes and the originals, Kanto would probably still be stale even if they make a sequel and many changes. Problem with a sequel is that GSC and HGSS takes places 3 years after the original events of RBY and FRLG. The sequel would have to be after GSC and HGSS which mean another time skip. I am kind of bored with Kanto at the moment and that is why I prefer Sinnoh remakes.

I'd love Sinnoh remakes since it'd give me a fresh look at the region (which I have for the most part disliked because for one reason or another Diamond just CANNOT keep my interest) much like Alpha Sapphire did, and made Hoenn one of my favorite if not my most favorite region. I'd love to like Sinnoh and see it in a new light. I was just suggesting a way they could use Kanto and not be remaking an old game to do it (technically I don't see the harm in them just making Johto and Kanto just appear in games together from now on since they are literally right next to each other and share the same league). Kanto's probably my least favorite reigion despite growing up with Blue version. Its the bare bones of pokemon, which is unsurprising since it's the location that started it all.

I love quite a few Gen 1 pokemon, but for the most part the ones I love most haven't gotten anything special. (Looking at you Nidoran family, Machop line, and ekans line)

Problem with a sequel is that GSC and HGSS takes places 3 years after the original events of RBY and FRLG. The sequel would have to be after GSC and HGSS which mean another time skip.

That's... not really a problem at all. I think pretty much everybody who is suggesting a Kanto sequel expects that a time skip would be involved, and the games are already all over the place in terms of chronology anyway.

So today we had a new variant reveal and small stuff on Z moves. Maybe we get new pokemon the 6th this time? Of course there is the Rockruff evolution in corocoro.

I don't know how relevant this is, but the soundtrack was just announced and it has 175 tracks. The X and Y soundtrack had 212 tracks while ORAS has 160 tracks.
The major reason for that is probably because XY's soundtrack also included Pokemon Origins music as well as their respective originals, as well as several small jingles for changing clothes and the PR Videos in addition to the standard stuff like Pokedex completion jingles, artificially extending the tracklist. So I'd say that a tracklist like that for Sun & Moon is definitely within average of the Pokemon soundtracks that have released since Diamond & Pearl's did.

Also, your list disregards one particular thing not seen in the digital versions - the entire soundtrack of Ruby & Sapphire was included with the physical release of Oras Super Music Complete as Discs 5 and 6, complete with their bonus tracks as seen on the original soundtrack release (and the digital release version of Ruby & Sapphire Super Music Collection), like TRICK MASTER. With that said, I don't blame you for not including them as it was basically just a neat bonus that only those getting the physical soundtrack in question would be enjoying.

If I may ask... How many discs does that soundtrack include?

I'm always eager for new Pokemon. They're my favorite part about regions. Probably my second favorite part is the region itself and the different biomes and the styles of towns and buildings.

I'm really hoping for a few side activities that are fun to do. That Pyukumuku tossing thing looks cute and helps expand the region a bit. I really hope to see something with minigames like the pokeathlon too though! That is personally one of the best side activities so far. Contests don't really thrill me all that much.

That's... not really a problem at all. I think pretty much everybody who is suggesting a Kanto sequel expects that a time skip would be involved, and the games are already all over the place in terms of chronology anyway.

Even if it wasn't a timeskip Kanto, there's ways to make it "fresh". Hoenn benefited immensely from being remade within the Gen VI engine, and with the great graphical changes between VI & VII, if a Kanto remake were to happen, it'd look & feel completely different to how it was in HG/SS. The likes of Celadon & Saffron would look incredible in the Gen VII engine.

OR/AS Hoenn also benefited from all the original stuff GF blessed it with, like Soaring, Battle Maison, Mirage Spots & Delta Episode.

I doubt GF would let Kanto feel stale in a remake/revisit.

A Kanto revisit doesn't have to include Johto. We saw that in FR+LG. But I am expecting fans to demand Johto highly which will lead to having a repeat of HG+SS. Two regions in one game doesn't work that well. So I am not expecting Kanto or Johto anytime soon or at all. A Sinnoh remake sounds more plausible.

I honestly see GameFreak throwing in tons of curve balls when it comes to Sun and Moon; with the rideable Pokemon, the Trial Captains and Kahuna's...

Makes me wonder what else they have in store for all of us.

A part of me is half expecting them to reveal a bunch of non-kanto Alolan forms at the last second and be like "psych!".

I mean, an argument could be made for them promoting the Kanto ones first because of nostalgia and Pokemon Go hype, even though in saying that I still don't feel convinced we're going to see non-Kanto Alolan forms. Maybe if we get Sun 2 and Moon 2 they'll introduce a batch of new Alolan Pokemon from other regions.

That's one area I honestly would love to be surprised in though, so maybe it's just wishful thinking. It kinda puts a damper on the whole regional variation idea (for me at least) when it's exclusive to one generation.

The times on which the new info is appearing on Sept. 6th have been added to the OP! Including links where we can except to find the new info.

At thid point I wonder if its a race to touch all 151 with a powerup for the next Kanto revisit. Mega Stones, Zium Crystals, and regional variants all in one giant mess? Maybe not, but who knows. At this point though it sounds like they just want new things to market to lose stagnation and aren't consdiering the consequences of so many splits. Like at the reveal for megas in the direct, they talked about new megas for all Pokemon and how cool it would be to see them all, but now that would be ridicilous, in the span of three years. I mean, imagine having to choose between Alola Raichu, Mega Raichu or Mega Alola Raichu, or even better Alola Mega Raichu with Stoked Sparksurfer.

Ok but you all missed the most important part of the Direct:

crystals bag.png

Z-Crystals have their own pocket in the bag :cry:

Hopefully this means that Mega Stones now have their own seperate bag space too.

I wonder, if Z Crystals trigger a stat and appearance change, they wouldn't be crazy enough to call them Mega Evolution Z, would they?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there is anything that will be revealed in PAX West, since Sun and Moon have their own booth. I kind of doubt it since we're getting news on the 6th, but I think I'd just open up the possibility.

I'd love Sinnoh remakes since it'd give me a fresh look at the region (which I have for the most part disliked because for one reason or another Diamond just CANNOT keep my interest) much like Alpha Sapphire did, and made Hoenn one of my favorite if not my most favorite region. I'd love to like Sinnoh and see it in a new light. I was just suggesting a way they could use Kanto and not be remaking an old game to do it (technically I don't see the harm in them just making Johto and Kanto just appear in games together from now on since they are literally right next to each other and share the same league). Kanto's probably my least favorite reigion despite growing up with Blue version. Its the bare bones of pokemon, which is unsurprising since it's the location that started it all.

I love quite a few Gen 1 pokemon, but for the most part the ones I love most haven't gotten anything special. (Looking at you Nidoran family, Machop line, and ekans line)

You should try Platinum then if you haven't already because both Diamond and Pearl are completely inferior to their third counterpart. You probably already know the difference, but if not it includes access to the then new cross-generational evolution such as Togekiss, Rhyperior, Gallade, and much more. Also all the team's got revamped to more accurately portray the new regional species. There is also the new story line of Giratina and Cyrus's plan to create his own world using the Distortion World. I love Platinum, and feel biased towards it because I feel it was the original plan for Sinnoh before being split into DP.

Also what are you views on the Alolan vulpix and ninetails as I see you are a fan?

Edit: Also does anyone know if it's been confirmed if the Z Crystals are consumable or not? If not then it would make sense that select characters and important events would gift the Z Crystals.

Edit 2: Has no one correlated the link between Snorelax's Z move and Alolan Raichu? It's the pancakes. Researchers somewhat believe/guess that's how the Alolan Raichu came to be, and Snorelax's Z move is Pulverizing Pancake. They both have a unique Z move as well.

Last edited:
A Kanto revisit doesn't have to include Johto. We saw that in FR+LG. But I am expecting fans to demand Johto highly which will lead to having a repeat of HG+SS. Two regions in one game doesn't work that well. So I am not expecting Kanto or Johto anytime soon or at all. A Sinnoh remake sounds more plausible.
FRLG took place before the events of HGSS and it was remakes of RB. We are not getting a Kanto revisit anyway. RBY on virtual console already gave people that.

Anyway, I hear that there is this Pokémon Sun & Moon Special Trial Version coming out. Might be a bad idea due to the demo hacking of ORAS. Unless Game Freak learnt from last time, they should considered recalling this.

Back
Top Bottom