• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

9AM EST? Well then, that means I'll either be awake due to insomnia, or finally passed out from taking tylenol PM to force myself to sleep. More likely than not I'll be waking up at 4 pm to new info and hopefully new pokemon.

Really hoping for some starter evolution news!

I think it is a bit ridiculous that they mega evolutions, forms and others as new pokemon when they are in fact not. New pokemon are pokemon that have never been discovered before and not variations/alternate forms/mega evolutions of older pokemon.

Going by this, new form differences, regional variants, and Mega Evolutions are classified as new Pokemon, since they have never been discovered until now.

Going by this, new form differences, regional variants, and Mega Evolutions are classified as new Pokemon, since they have never been discovered until now.
True, but Mega Rayquaza and Mega Lucario were apparently discovered a long time ago (in the Mega Evolution universe). So, technically, probably not every single one was discovered just before Sun and Moon take place.

I think it is a bit ridiculous that they mega evolutions, forms and others as new pokemon when they are in fact not.

In story/lore terms, no, they're not new Pokémon. But that's irrelevant as far as actual production goes - creating and designing new Pokémon requires a lot of work (because it's not just a matter of drawing; they have to plan the stats, movepools, availability, and so on). Mega Evolutions and Alola Forms generally require the same amount of work, so what they did in XY, which was create about 70 new Pokémon and 30 Mega Evolutions to make a total of 100 new designs, was more-or-less the same amount of physical work that went into Gold and Silver when they just made 100 individual Pokémon straight-up. Not to mention that they then went and made an additional 20 new Megas/Primals for ORAS, so they actually made approximately 120 new designs in Gen VI, which is more than we got in Generations II and IV (and this comparison is especially relevant, I think, since both Mega Evolutions and the cross-gen evolutions/pre-evolutions of Gens II and IV use old Pokémon as a conceptual base).

The beneficial thing for them when it comes to Megas and regional variants is, it lets them recycle old Pokémon and breathe new life into them (and create new merchandi$e) while also staggering the increase in total Pokémon, which is approaching 1000+, and we know they have expressed concerns about that before. We currently have nearly 800 viable Pokémon; there's just not as much of a need to introduce so many new Pokémon at once anymore if those 800 old ones still have room to grow or be modified, or are just perfectly viable as they are. Additionally, fewer new Pokémon per generation allows them to save some ideas for later.

Last edited:
COUNTDOOOOWWWWWWWWWN.

Random thought: Remember how the site update involving the captains had "Aug-1st" in the url? Maybe we'll see some more trial captains in today's update.

True, but Mega Rayquaza and Mega Lucario were apparently discovered a long time ago (in the Mega Evolution universe). So, technically, probably not every single one was discovered just before Sun and Moon take place.

That'd also apply to the regular new Pokemon. They've been discovered before we've seen them.

I was referring to new as in when we have known them.

We had Nintendo Direct with some Sun and Moon news, the next bit of news would be tomorrow and corocoro will the third. That is three bits of news in a month but that is assuming that we don't get info after corocoro. We might get info near the end of month depending if they choose to release info at that time.

We had Nintendo Direct with some Sun and Moon news, the next bit of news would be tomorrow and corocoro will the third. That is three bits of news in a month but that is assuming that we don't get info after corocoro. We might get info near the end of month depending if they choose to release info at that time.

I think more information at the end of the month is highly plausible given the fact Wed be under two months from official release and probably around one month for the release of the demo.

I hope the starters' middle stages appear. It'll settle this whole controversy once and for all.
I agree! What are the chances of that happening btw? I can't remember how close to the release of X&Y it was when they revealed Quilladin, Braixen and Frogadier.

Not long now! Nearly two hours to go. I'm hoping for:

-Some new Pokemon (obviously!), would quite like to see some evolutions for things we've seen.
-Version exclusive information that I mentioned the other day, I think it would be cool

Though I think we might get the Greninja change stuff after the exclusive Z-Move stuff the other day - it seems likely it'll be getting a special Water Shuriken move.

I hope the starters' middle stages appear. It'll settle this whole controversy once and for all.

But what if they're all Dewott -> Samurott situations and make things worse :cautious:

Any chance of us getting news about the anime ?

Probably not in this update since this for the games, but I imagine anime news will be coming from somewhere at some point soon with it only being ~two months away.

I agree! What are the chances of that happening btw? I can't remember how close to the release of X&Y it was when they revealed Quilladin, Braixen and Frogadier.

They were in the last big news drop before release. So they were revealed in September with XY releasing October. We could get them this month, but next month also seems likely too. So I'd say it's 50/50. It depends if they want to show the final starters before release - showing the mid-stages now would allow them to do that either October or November I guess.

They were in the last big news drop before release. So they were revealed in September with XY releasing October. We could get them this month, but next month also seems likely too. So I'd say it's 50/50. It depends if they want to show the final starters before release - showing the mid-stages now would allow them to do that either October or November I guess.
I forgot XY came out in early October and SM will be coming in the end of November. I guess the middle stages might be saved up until next month then. Specially considering we have seen the supposed final forms and maybe they are holding on on showing us the middle stages to keep us speculating until the very end.

Predicition:

Starter's Mid Evos, Alolan Abra, maybe a little nod to Battle Frontier. Would like to see more ordinary 7th gen Pokemon, I feel they get shafted in favour of Legendaries and Alolan Variants. To me, the best thing about a new Gen is the new Pokemon, the ones we have no experience with.

THAT WAS AMAZING. LUSAMINE!!! *hearteyesemoji*

SO BLESSED. SO MOVED. SO GRATEFUL.

Back
Top Bottom