• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Well I get that, but why isn't the Japanese name just Absorption too then? Why bother with English names if the actual English names aren't even the same?:p

I know the same is done with characters with English Japanese names, but now they did keep Beauty and changed Expansion...
They probably kept the japanese name Expansion because when a mosquito sucks blood, its body (abdomen) expands. In this case, it might be the Beast's muscles that expand. Lol...who knows man...I'm just making stuff here...

Huh, I guess it is Absorption then. I wonder why they changed it.

Either way, they look pretty good in-game.

At least they finally did put up a trailer. Maybe they were having some technical difficulties earlier and they couldn't get the video uploaded when it was supposed to go up. While seeing that there will be different Ultra Beasts in the two versions is kind of interesting, it really isn't enough to warrant a trailer alone about it. Maybe I'd feel slightly less disappointed if I saw this when I woke up this morning, but this still seems surprisingly lackluster for their announcement trailers.

If they threw in a couple of new Pokemon and/or Alola forms, it probably would have been fine, but just revealing a couple of Ultra Beasts isn't really enough for me. I do like the concept of the Ultra Beasts and I'm curious about them, but I wanted more than just Ultra Beasts. To be fair, I did get really excited for this update, so that's at least part of the problem here, but all of their other announcement trailers have delivered to some extent for me, so seeing such a disappointing announcement is both sad and surprising in a bad way.

At least they finally did put up a trailer. Maybe they were having some technical difficulties earlier and they couldn't get the video uploaded when it was supposed to go up. While seeing that there will be different Ultra Beasts in the two versions is kind of interesting, it really isn't enough to warrant a trailer alone about it. Maybe I'd feel slightly less disappointed if I saw this when I woke up this morning, but this still seems surprisingly lackluster for their announcement trailers.

If they threw in a couple of new Pokemon and/or Alola forms, it probably would have been fine, but just revealing a couple of Ultra Beasts isn't really enough for me. I do like the concept of the Ultra Beasts and I'm curious about them, but I wanted more than just Ultra Beasts. To be fair, I did get really excited for this update, so that's at least part of the problem here, but all of their other announcement trailers have delivered to some extent for me, so seeing such a disappointing announcement is both sad and surprising in a bad way.
Yeah, the wait for the entire week was long, and till 20th it is going to be the same. I just hope they reveal starter evos too along with rockruff's! Because rockroff's evo on 20th is basically confirmed. And they won't reveal just one pokemon, there will be more. The question is whether this 'more' will be the starter evos or some other Pokemon. I wouldn't mind Jangmo-os evos too.

In fairness I think we would all be a lot more surprised by this had Corocoro not leaked, but as always, that's the trade-off that comes with getting it early.

In the alternative universe where people don't leak Corocoro, all of the UB-02 speculation that we've already gotten in is only just starting, and those "us" are due to see Rockruff's evolutions tomorrow. :p

What do you imagine?

I just naturally assumed the battles vs the UBs would be 3v1, but I have no idea!

I've got no idea either and I'm certainly no game designer. But it all depends on how different the UBs are from normal Pokémon. Do they even have stats? Do they have "attacks" as we think of them? There's no way to know right now based on so little information, but if they go maximum-ambition, I could see it being something like more of a "traditional" boss battle where the UB and your Pokémon are both active in the field, rather than a turn-based thing. That could very well be going too far for Pokémon, but again, that's based entirely on the simple fact that the UBs just seem to be very, very strange.

Last edited:
Odd choice, particularly delaying the next news to the 20th, HOWEVER, I think there's going to be a reason for that. However, their trailers being cluttered hasn't stopped them before, so why now? They plainly wanted the Ultra Beasts separated out of it at any rate. They could have something planned...

Happy about that trailer that finally came.

Small trailer, but they look cool. Maybe that Absorption thing will make more sense ingame, cuz it's not immediately obvious.

You know, if the UBs are feared by humans and Pokemon alike, then Hala and Tapu Koko are just straight up badasses, and I just love them more.

Last edited:
Guess the guardians are rising up against the threat of the Ultra Beasts. Which could mean that the Ultra Beasts are otherwordly and not created.

In fairness I think we would all be a lot more surprised by this had Corocoro not leaked, but as always, that's the trade-off that comes with getting it early.

In the alternative universe where people don't leak Corocoro, all of the UB-02 speculation that we've already gotten in is only just starting, and those "us" are due to see Rockruff's evolutions tomorrow. :p

That's true. Seeing it ahead of time in CoroCoro would weaken the surprise factor, but that's why these announcements after CoroCoro usually have something else. Even if we didn't know about these new Ultra Beasts until now, it still might have been too lackluster of a trailer compared to the other ones they've revealed.

At least we'll only have to wait another week for the next trailer. It should definitely contain Rockruff's evolution forms and hopefully some clarification on whether or not they're version exclusive. And yes, I know that it's the same Pokemon, but it does have different forms of that Pokemon. Just wanted to clarify that since I apparently need to be very specific with that detail. I do hope that we'll get a few new Pokemon and/or Alola forms too. Seeing the starters' middle forms would be great too.

Wait is it really gonna be that the Ultra Beasts are part of the story on top of everything else? So that's a potential of 18 Totem Pokemon, 4 Kahuna, battles against Skull and their conflict, battles against Aether and their conflict, Ultra Beasts and Perfect Zygarde all before the credits roll, compared to 8 gyms, the elite 4 and the evil team with the box legends. How the fuck is this even going to work.

Wait is it really gonna be that the Ultra Beasts are part of the story on top of everything else? So that's a potential of 18 Totem Pokemon, 4 Kahuna, battles against Skull and their conflict, battles against Aether and their conflict, Ultra Beasts and Perfect Zygarde all before the credits roll, compared to 8 gyms, the elite 4 and the evil team with the box legends. How the fuck is this even going to work.

My guess is

- There probably won't be 18 Trials/Totem Pokémon
- We may not battle the Aether Foundation (if we do it may be only a few instances with the higher-ups - I believe it was @godiego who pointed out that the Foundation "grunts" don't seem to have nametags along with their dialogue boxes, which seems to be the case with generic NPCs)
- Zygarde is probably a sidequest

At that point, what you actually have is the Trials Challenge running in parallel to Team Skull and then closer to the end of the game, the AF and the Ultra Beasts, with Zygarde as a distraction to be resolved whenever you finish collecting Cells.

Still not sure as to when Solgaleo and Lunala might come into play, though.

I was a little disappointed with the trailer... it was nice to see the UBs move but i was hoping for rockruff info and starter info. In the trailer it looked like to me that GF is purposefully not directly saying if a pokemon is version exclusive or time exclusive. However because of the logo, I assume they are version exclusive even though they ask the question "which UB-2 will appear. the sky is dark in both screens however, if you look at the brown building thing in 0:19, the shading is different. I'd say beauty is moon and the other is sun. I would have to say the same for rockruff at this point along with the fact he has to leave his trainer to evolve.
I like UB-2 Beauty better than Expansion. I can get use to her. Expansion reminded me first of an angry scary faceless deoxys, which i think anyone would be angry at that point haha. :)

Still not sure what version I want yet. I really hope to find out something about the starters before choosing. i am hoping since they are doing split evolution forms that they will reveal either the design or typing. I am needing a new console, so I may end up waiting for (hopefully) a christmas bundle to come out. I'm stuck with my starter, i need to make sure i am happy with my choice if they are going to be different per version.

My guess is

- There probably won't be 18 Trials/Totem Pokémon
- We may not battle the Aether Foundation (if we do it may be only a few instances with the higher-ups - I believe it was @godiego who pointed out that the Foundation "grunts" don't seem to have nametags along with their dialogue boxes, which seems to be the case with generic NPCs)
- Zygarde is probably a sidequest

At that point, what you actually have is the Trials Challenge running in parallel to Team Skull and then closer to the end of the game, the AF and the Ultra Beasts, with Zygarde as a distraction to be resolved whenever you finish collecting Cells.

Still not sure as to when Solgaleo and Lunala might come into play, though.
There kinda has to be 18 trials going by the trailers, as its obvious you gain the crystal from the totem and the pose from the captain, hammering in the synergy and relations between Pokemon and Humans. Specific Pokemon Z Crystaliums can be handwaved in the pose department, but I cannot see it being done for the type crystals.

So I'm glad we got something, though at first I was still a little sad we only saw the Ultras, but then I thought maybe if they only had the Ultras, they have something more planned for next week. I have to say though, I'm really excited to see Hala and Tapu Koko in battle. They looked super dope.

Back
Top Bottom