• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

There kinda has to be 18 trials going by the trailers, as its obvious you gain the crystal from the totem and the pose from the captain, hammering in the synergy and relations between Pokemon and Humans. Specific Pokemon Z Crystaliums can be handwaved in the pose department, but I cannot see it being done for the type crystals.

I can see it being done for the type-based Crystals, easy. Just throw in an NPC (or hell, one of the Kahunas would work, I'm sure) who knows the other dances. Then you can scatter the remaining Z-Crystals around the region.

Maybe they kept this trailer somewhat dull on purpose. Maybe they have a massive surprise in store for us, like when the Ultra Beasts were revealed, and don't want us to be totally overwhelmed like last time with the substantial amount of information they revealed. It would make it a lot easier for everyone to spit out their view on what's revealed in the next trailer if we all don't get SO hyped that our brains cease function temporarily. I have a really good feeling that this next trailer will have some new Pokémon in it, whether it be Alolan forms or entirely new families.

Why do they have to rename the UB02 when the Japanese version obviously uses English?
Same with renaming Battle House to Battle Maison.

Is something wrong with the English word Expansion? Like , do people think of boob expansion when they see expansion?
Seems like I'm missing some cultural stuff.

I can see it being done for the type-based Crystals, easy. Just throw in an NPC (or hell, one of the Kahunas would work, I'm sure) who knows the other dances. Then you can scatter the remaining Z-Crystals around the region.
So basically they created a new and inventive way to motivate region exploration and created a new useable trinket that is actually useful compared to icons in a menu screen, with both story and gameplay importance, but its also available from random people around the block for whatever reason? Well that's just fucking pointless if you ask mr.

Why do they have to rename the UB02 when the Japanese version obviously uses English?

Is something wrong with the English word Expansion? Like , do people think of boob expansion when they see expansion?

Well "House" being changed to "Maison" actually made sense because of all of the Gratuitous French in XY.

As an American, I can't really think of any connotation to "Expansion" that would warrant a change... the closest I can think of is that maaaaaaaybe it's similar to imperialism but that's a severe stretch.

So basically they created a new and inventive way to motivate region exploration and created a new useable trinket that is actually useful compared to icons in a menu screen, with both story and gameplay importance, but its also available from random people around the block for whatever reason? Well that's just fucking pointless if you ask mr.
i mean, Mega Evolution was a big plot device (even if a McGuffin) in XYORAS and yet you'd find Mega Stones wherever.

Same with renaming Battle House to Battle Maison. Is something wrong with the English word Expansion? Like , do people think of boob expansion when they see expansion?
Battle House to Battle Maison makes sense given that maison is French for house. Expansion to Absorption may be more of a nod to how Absorption draws from a mosquito, which absorb (well, suck) blood.

Alright! We got a trailer after all. Better late than never:p Nice to see UB-02 Absorption and Beauty in action, but those things still seriously weird me out. I do like that there are yet more version exclusive elements with these things.

Here's to hoping we get Rockwolf's dubbed names on the 20th.

No...? I never said it'd be available from any random-o on the block, although at the same time, I don't get the impression that Z-Moves are as unknown to the public as Mega Evolution was. The four Captains that we have seen obviously know about them, and Hala has a Z-Ring. I'm just saying, maybe there's another expert* hanging around who will teach you the remaining dances. I personally still expect somewhere around 8-10 Trials; that's hardly a waste of the concept. Even at 8, there's still more involved in the process than the Gym Challenge due to the Trial > Totem > Kahuna setup going beyond battling and being more dynamic in general.

* This could also be the Kahuna. Real kahuna are considered experts in a given skill, and I would think that the Alolan Kahuna have also passed the Island Trials, so it stands to reason that they would have mastered Z-Moves too. Ergo, it could be that the Trial Captains will teach us the dances for their respective type specialties, and for the remainder, we have to consult a Kahuna.

Last edited:

Two words: EXPAND DONG

Well "House" being changed to "Maison" actually made sense because of all of the Gratuitous French in XY.

As an American, I can't really think of any connotation to "Expansion" that would warrant a change... the closest I can think of is that maaaaaaaybe it's similar to imperialism but that's a severe stretch.

I think that they changed the name to "Absorption" because that word probably fits better for the UB than "Expansion". It does resemble a buff mosquito after all.

Glad that I didn't stay up for the news. Today's news is just awful. Hardly even considered as news. Now have to wait for the next bit of news but today has left me a bit skeptical of what the next news would have.

I think that they changed the name to "Absorption" because that word probably fits better for the UB than "Expansion". It does resemble a buff mosquito after all.
This.

Not to mention that "expansion" just makes it sound like both UB-2s are the same being when they're just in the same class. I admit it took me longer than it should have to figure that out and it wasn't just some roach girl gaining muscles and turning into a mosquito.

So today's news was a 42 second 'video' that just quickly shows of UB 02's two different forms? That hardly counts as anything worthy of merit you should be announcing beforehand.

They come down and fight Tapu koko. Wooo. What a waste of 42 seconds.

At least the red one got a better name. Absorption fits its mosquito-like design loads better than Expansion. I don't even know why that's not it's name in Japanese...

So today's news was a 42 second 'video' that just quickly shows of UB 02's two different forms? That hardly counts as anything worthy of merit you should be announcing beforehand.

They come down and fight Tapu koko. Wooo. What a waste of 42 seconds.

I'll say again that this would be a much bigger reveal if Corocoro had not spoiled it. We should all know by now that their policy is to not acknowledge leaks and to proceed as if they had never happened.

I understand the disappointment here, but we are the ones who were enthusiastically counting down the days until the scans leaked - in other words, until somebody took it upon themselves to undermine the company and their schedule - and then indulged them when they did.

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll receive news on the 1st of October. Usually it's a 2 week wait between the last news of the month and the next news of the next month.

I wonder if we'll receive news on the 1st of October. Usually it's a 2 week wait between the last news of the month and the next news of the next month.
It has been happening for a while so I think it is safe to assume that we would get news in the early days of October.

Not gonna lie, the updates themselves are one heck of a ride. When it doesn't hype me up for the region and its cool new monsters in a up slope it deflates me with more Kanto shilling only to rile me up again showing that this is indeed Alola's show.

Likewise, just when I think I finally have my version set we get an update like this which makes me hesitate on which I should preorder! Hopefully next week we should get some info on the starters next stages. Really want to start finalizing who my partner should be.

Back
Top Bottom