• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Well I guess it's confirmed then, Rockruff's evolutions were exclusives all along.. Would've made so much more sense if they were day and night exclusives instead, what's with the werewolf form and all.

Also, I've never been much of a fan of monkey Pokemon (or monkeys/apes at all really), but Passimian looks really cute.. too bad it's SUN EXCLUSIVE.

God damn it I wanted Moon to be so good.

I'm not particularly pleased with Lycanroc's version exclusive forms, primarily because of the pre-hype over Rockruff and the starters sharing a secret. If this means that we have version exclusive starter evolutions then I'll just dump poor Popplio and get some other Water type. That's a ridiculously restrictive idea.

I'm still throwing my chips in with the Starters having a different secret revolving around Z-Forms. The fact that it would involve a change in their appearance is similar enough in concept to justify the comparison to Rockruff's secret.

where are Lycanroc's secondary typings?
Are these the second evolution will we get one more (3 stage) like with starters?
I feel that they made a prank of us...
how could both turn out to be pure rock??? how???
they look to much day: steel or fairy and night:ghost or dark?

First Wishiwashi and now Lycanroc, like they would hate there own concepts or be very blind...
(how horror ghost look you need to have to be a ghost type???)

mono types? not again that...

and then they worry about that poeple cancel to buy the games?

Last edited:
So uh what are Festival Coins? You can see them during the customization part of the trailer - a new form of currency, maybe?

they look to much day: steel or fairy and night:ghost or dark?

How does Lycanroc Midday Form look anything like a Steel or Fairy type?

First Wishiwashi

Wishiwashi not being a Ghost type makes sense, beause it's literally just a school of fish working together. There's nothing ghost-like about the fish individually, so setting a bunch of them next to each other isn't going to enhance the ghost-liness of any of them. They operate in tandem in order to look intimidating, but ultimately, it's just a deception. So if anything, Wishiwashi absolutely should look spooky without actually being a Ghost or whatever else type. It's just a bunch of pure Water types swimming in close proximity.

I am glad they are mono type but still I guess it would have been cool. I am just glad we didn't get a rock steel or dark type there's no way counter or accelrock can really save from some nice 4 x weak hit.
I really love the design on all the new Pokemon. I think passimian is cool, and oranguru is bizarre but also neat. I do think that it looks like it was designed to be Olympia's main.
I definitely like lugarugan better than lycanroc, but both designs are really cool.
The customization is really cool I want the Alolan exeggutor shirt.
Also over half of all Pokemon are monotype

The new primates are quite interesting, especially their abilities. Although I won't use them on my team, I may try them out and see what I can do with them.

Slightly disappointed that Lycanroc's forms are version exclusive, more so that the different forms aren't that much different from each other. I expected different typings for each of them, but they are both pure rock. Also, the midnight form doesn't even have an exclusive move or ability. Come on, at least give him something nice.

More customization options is a major plus. Nothing bad to be said about it.

Pokémon Refresh is a more in-depth version of Amie. Neat.

Looking at the new Z-Moves, of course Piyakachu gets one. Pretty obvious it would. Don't really care for it as I'll never use Pikachu ever. Eevee's Z-Move, on the other hand, is kind of cool, with all of its Eeveelutions appearing to give it a major statboost on all fronts. I expected an awesome looking move, but a statboost is nice too.

All in all, much better than last week's. Can't wait to see what's next on the info line.

Just an all around disappointing trailer tbh. Aside from the possibility of Eevee becoming competitively viable on its own, nothing really stood out to me. I guess the Rock priority move too but that was revealed in Corocoro...

Is it just me or have they actively tried to make Midday Lycanroc better than Midnight Lycanroc in every way? Sand Rush and Rock type priority are two great things it gets over the other form, who only has Vital Spirit and Counter for itself.

Not even Sand Force and a new powerful Rock move instead, to highlight it as a possible hard hitting counterpart to a swift sibling. What a missed opportunity.

I don't really like either of the monkeys. But that's to be expected as I was never fond of apes in anything ever. (Not even humans sometimes) However, one thing I have to say is that Oranguru is probably the rugby coach of a troop of Passimians. That makes them at least amusing to me. Here's a little tiny bit of proof from the website (remember though, this is more of a joke than anything, not a serious theory):

Passimian wants its Trainer to have the qualities of a leader as well. It watches a Trainer’s form closely when he or she throws Poké Balls, and will not listen to the orders of a Trainer with poor form.

Allegedly, there have been sightings of Oranguru using Poké Balls!

Hee hee hee.

Oh and I'll probably never use the Z-moves for Pikachu or Eevee. I don't really like Pikachu (and wouldn't keep it unevolved) and I would also evolve my Eevee. But I don't plan on using it in Sun/Moon since it seems to not get any new Eeveelutions. Then again though, I don't really care about Z-moves in general and find their concept to be lackluster when compared to Mega Evolution.

Now, stuff I actually care about. I love the English name of Lycanroc. Now I can actually pronounce and remember their names! However, like most people, I am quite disappointed that the Midnight form isn't Dark-type. It just doesn't have much of anything to indicate its type as being Rock at all. Other than perhaps its more defensive nature from the hits it'll have to take from using Counter. But it doesn't even get its own exclusive move to seal the deal. Midday's 3D model is excellent and beautiful. I'm a bit more iffy about Midnight. But I still love both of their designs equally. 3D models in these newer Pokemon games tend to have a few wonky ones on occasion. Also, I never really cared about the whole version exclusive thing. My husband and I are playing the games together, so I have someone to bypass that restriction with. Unless of course, they make it so that it depends on what game the Rockruff is generated in. In which case, I would find that quite a bit more irritating. But thankfully, the description seems to indicate that it just depends on what version it's currently in. (Or at least, I hope)

And I love the new Pokemon Refresh! I always used Amie, so it'll make it quite a bit more useful not to have to deal with annoying status effects. Though I am cautious that it might make the game too easy. But I'll have to see under what circumstances you can use it to remove status effects.

As for the customization options, so pleased to see confirmation of a much wider variety of options. Again though, I am cautious about this usage of Festival Coins, because I get REALLY annoyed when they lock customization behind some weird currency like that. I always want to do it as soon as possible in a game, not work up to it, because I want my character to feel like me as soon as possible. Otherwise, my immersion is broken. I'm not one who likes to earn it and just see it as a feature you should have right off the bat. Basically, I was annoyed by how much money it took to get proper clothes in X/Y. Yeah, I know that money racks up in Pokemon games, but it still left me broke a lot of the time. I want to play through the main story with the customizations I want.

Can only hope these Festival Coins are easy to come across and don't involve anything too bad or annoying to obtain. Like some stupid mini-game based on a festival of some sort. Then again, it might involve battling. I wouldn't mind so much if it involved battling. I know in multiplayer games like these, they always have to make you earn the cool-looking gear. Doesn't mean I can't still by slightly miffed at it.

Last edited:
Is it just me or have they actively tried to make Midday Lycanroc better than Midnight Lycanroc in every way? Sand Rush and Rock type priority are two great things it gets over the other form, who only has Vital Spirit and Counter for itself.

Not even Sand Force and a new powerful Rock move instead, to highlight it as a possible hard hitting counterpart to a swift sibling. What a missed opportunity.
At least it has better looks. :p

But yeah, I agree with you. Is Counter honestly the best they could have come up with?

My thoughts on the current news:

Customization - couldn't care less for a pointless feature
Z-moves - I like the Eevee Z move. All the evolutions appearing is pretty cool.
New Pokemon - I like these two new pokemon. Bound to get other version exclusives soon or later.
Reciever ability - seems like an okay ability to use.
Lycanroc - glad to see the typing confirm. I'm okay with it being single type. Love the name.
Pokemon Refresh - this pretty neat and I can't wait to try it out.

Overall, pretty decent news. Customization is the only downside to Sun and Moon games in my opinion.

Counter isn't great but it is refreshing to see a Pokemon who doesn't look exactly like its type. I don't think we always need a rock type that's covered in rocks. I mean I feel like too many grass types are green.(yes I know most grassy things are green)

well that's interesting

XVTCJds.jpg

I wonder if they make it so that you can't pass on effects you get from Z moves to other Pokemon. Because imagine Eevee with Baton Pass and its Z Move o.o

I wonder if they make it so that you can't pass on effects you get from Z moves to other Pokemon. Because imagine Eevee with Baton Pass and its Z Move o.o

It has to survive two turns to pull off the Z-Move and then successfully pass it. No holding a Focus Sash either, because it'll need the Z-Crystal. And it's still an Eevee, so it's not particularly threatening. I don't think it will be a problem.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. I heard a comment on Youtube regarding Eevee's Z-Move talking about a tactic involving Simple Beam on Eevee, then the Z-Move, and finally Baton Pass to a stronger Mon. Seemed like a ridiculously OP tactic (assuming Eevee lasts long enough to execute the tactic), so I wonder if they'll put a restriction on that so the Z-Move boost can't be abused with Baton Pass so easily. Since we only know so much about Z-Moves, and since this is the first Z-Move we've seen that isn't a damaging attack, we don't entirely know if Eevee's Z-Move is transferable through Baton Pass or not. But if it is, then Eevee will gain some serious increased usage.

Back
Top Bottom