• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

well that's interesting

XVTCJds.jpg
Woah ! I wonder why they changed doors...?

Here are my thoughts on today's trailer.

Passimian
If paired with the right Pokémon in a double battle, the Receiver ability has the potential to make it really OP, or at least decent depending on the stats it has.

Also, we have our rugby monkey. Chinese leaks confirmed!

Oranguru
Like Passimian above, being paired with the right Pokémon could make it seem OP, or at least decent depending on the stats it has. Do to this, I recommend either focusing its stats on either being a tank (Defense & Sp. Defense) or pouring EVs into its Speed stat.

Lycanroc
This seems to be the first version exclusive evolution in the history of Pokémon. This might be an unpopular opinion, I kinda wanted something like this to happen. Granted, it's dissapointing that the Midday Form and the Midnight Form are both only pure Rock-type, but I'll get over it. It seems like their movesets will at least different enough to offer different play styles. I think Midday will be a sweeper, while Midnight will end up being a good counterattacker.

New Z-Moves
The Eevee 2+ every stat boost one is interesting, as it suggests that not all Z-Moves have to be super-offensive. I kinda hope the same Z-Crystal can be used for the Eeveelutions as well, since it could give each of them a different Z-Move. It's just wishful thinking!

Pikachu's Z-Move is okay, considering that we all Game Freak wouldn't pass up an opportunity to give the franchise mascot a shiny new power-up. It still seems like Raichu got the better end of the deal here though. In fact, since both Pikachu & Raichu have an exclusive Z-Move, I wonder if both CatastroPika and Stoked SparkSurfer use the same Z-Crystal though. If this ends up being the case, then I want the Z-Crystal to be named "Pika-Raium Z".

Pokémon Refresh
A logical revision of Pokémon Amie. It seems like the cure-status ailments part could be viewed as another hand-holding feature, but it could also be viewed as a boon for Nuzlocke players. Also, where's the mini-games feature? Are we even getting mini-games for Pokémon Refresh? Will Game Freak just recycle the same mini-games from Pokémon Amie? Only time will tell.

My thoughts on the current news:

Customization - couldn't care less for a pointless feature
Z-moves - I like the Eevee Z move. All the evolutions appearing is pretty cool.
New Pokemon - I like these two new pokemon. Bound to get other version exclusives soon or later.
Reciever ability - seems like an okay ability to use.
Lycanroc - glad to see the typing confirm. I'm okay with it being single type. Love the name.
Pokemon Refresh - this pretty neat and I can't wait to try it out.

Overall, pretty decent news. Customization is the only downside to Sun and Moon games in my opinion.
A lot of people really like the ability to change their in game character , it makes the game more immersive and unique, in my opinion, as not everybody who plays the game will have to look the same. I also really like the fact that you can change skin color, because a lot of non-white people play Pokemon and it feels great to be able to have your character have the same skin color as you. I, of course, respect your opinion, but I don't really understand how it is a downside.

I can understand not caring for it and thinking it adds nothing to the game, but why is it a downside when you can simply ignore the feature and not use it?
Because it provides no reward and is not very enjoyable in my opinion.

A lot of people really like the ability to change their in game character , it makes the game more immersive and unique, in my opinion, as not everybody who plays the game will have to look the same. I also really like the fact that you can change skin color, because a lot of non-white people play Pokemon and it feels great to be able to have your character have the same skin color as you. I, of course, respect your opinion, but I don't really understand how it is a downside.
It is a downside because there is nothing rewarding about customization. You don't get items or anything from it. It is essentially useless in my opinion.

Is it just me or have they actively tried to make Midday Lycanroc better than Midnight Lycanroc in every way? Sand Rush and Rock type priority are two great things it gets over the other form, who only has Vital Spirit and Counter for itself.

Not even Sand Force and a new powerful Rock move instead, to highlight it as a possible hard hitting counterpart to a swift sibling. What a missed opportunity.
Yeah, I'm incredibly disappointed with midnight Lycanroc. Even ignoring he'll be a pain to get in Sun (there is no argument anyone can present to convince me version exclusive evolutions is anything but a terrible idea), Counter as special move? That seems kind of the opposite of what I'd expect from a werewolf. Vital Spirit makes sense but is underwhelming. He's probably off my team, now, unless he's got monstrously good stats.

I see both, yeah, new names to learn again, Passimian and Oranguru more for competitive double battles, which seems to be the main focus for some Pokemon like A-Raichu.

A choice between Pikachu with a Z-Move or Alolan-Raichu with a Z-Move. Not a very hard decision at all.

Trainer Customization has been expanded threefold! Just the best news ever! :D

I won't be using Rockruff, so Lycanroc is alright. I don't mind the typings at all. But Midday feels like more attention was given to it due to more people play during the day and maybe Sun.

I like the Eevee Squad!
Screen_20160920_230846.jpg

Next bit of news is on the 4th. Maybe some alola forms this time?

@Arceus the Dragon : Cool, so don't use the feature. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it bad.

Personally, I think it makes the games even more viable for me. If I want my character to actually look like how I would look (has not happened since Leaf from Fire Red/Leaf Green) I can do that! I don't have to worry about loathing a character's hair or clothes *glares at Dawn GLARES AT DAWN; rolls eyes at Lyra* turning me off from connecting with my trainer. If I just wanna go crazy and make the punkest, or cutest, or more fashion crazy trainer ever, I can!

Also battling other trainers isn't just a weird moment of fighting a clone of the character you're playing as. You get to see other people's sense of style and stuff! That's just awesome~!

There's no way for character customization to be anything but a boon. ♥♥♥ ^0^

What a great Video this turned out to be. So many things to discuss.

Lycanroc-Sigh, unfortunately the forms are version exclusives. Won't be affecting me or my team, but I feel bad for anyone who wanted one wolf that isn't in the version they're getting. Seeing footage of them does make them look slightly more appealing, though I'm still not crazy about either of them. I do however like the fact that both are pure rock and have different cries.

Passimian-Definitely my preference between the version exclusives revealed today. The design looks pretty cool and the new ability is interesting.

Oranguru-Okay, but not crazy about the design. It's new ability and moves seem really good though.

Customization-Best part of the games and its looking great. I'm loving the outfits and I love how you can change the colors of already existing outfits. I'm also really excited to use contacts this time around; skipped out on them in XY but it looks like they have more interesting color options in Sun and Moon
Pokemon Refresh-Second best part of the games and it looks amazing. I love how the environments actually change depending on where you are as opposed to the one generic background in XYORAS. I also love that you can clean your Pokemon and heal their status conditions. I'm probably going to abuse the hell out of this more than Amie:)

Z-Moves-I didn't expect that non-fully evolved Pokemon would get special Z-Moves. Not sure why, but it's nice to see that they do. Catastropika is so damn cute. I love how Pikachu and the trainer do the same little dance and then they hurl Pikachu in the air. Extreme Evoboost looks cool and its nice to see a Z-Move that boosts stats. That long-ass animation is a bit annoying though.

Overall a great reveal. Can't wait for the next one.

Customization-Best part of the games and its looking great. I'm loving the outfits and I love how you can change the colors of already existing outfits. I'm also really excited to use contacts this time around; skipped out on them in XY but it looks like they have more interesting color options in Sun and Moon.

Pokemon Refresh-Second best part of the games and it looks amazing. I love how the environments actually change depending on where you are as opposed to the one generic background in XYORAS. I also love that you can clean your Pokemon and heal their status conditions. I'm probably going to abuse the hell out of this more than Amie:)

Totally with you with Refresh. Because lavishing my Pokemon with love, care, and grooming is every Pokemon trainer's guilty pleasure, and I really freaking loved Pokemon Amie. Though I do have to wonder why Pokemon Refresh is named after...well, the attack called Refresh. Why couldn't they have called it Pokemon-Amie Deluxe or something? Oh well! Still love it!

Totally with you with Refresh. Because lavishing my Pokemon with love, care, and grooming is every Pokemon trainer's guilty pleasure, and I really freaking loved Pokemon Amie. Though I do have to wonder why Pokemon Refresh is named after...well, the attack called Refresh. Why couldn't they have called it Pokemon-Amie Deluxe or something? Oh well! Still love it!
I assumed because it's not in Kalos anymore and they want to move away from the French association. It's still pretty silly in my opinion anyway though.

Agreed, I think I spent more time playing Amie than using any other new feature in XY. And wow, I didn't even think of the refresh thing. That makes so much sense now.

I can only guess they dropped the Amie title, since we're no longer in a France inspired region.

Hahaha, that Z-move for Pikachu is adorably ridiculous. I want to see Ash & Pikachu doing this silly dance in the anime, and him throwing Pikachu like a basketball. *snerk* This won't stop me, though, from evolving my Pika into an Alolan Raichu.

Eevee jumping on my head looking so happy & cute is terrific. Love that it gains stat boosts from its Eeveelutions. Sadly, I will use this move for a limited time only since I always evolve my Eevees and don't use just Eevee itself.

Love the trainer customization feature. Really cool. I've already decided I'm going to play as Haruka/May again in the new game. So I'm hoping I can get my player character to look as close to Haruka as possible.

Pokémon Refresh is something I am really looking forward to. I have always wished that I could actually groom my Pokémon instead of just petting it. I do have to say, though, that I would prefer still being able to feed my Pokemon PokePuffs (or some other kind of dessert based treat) instead of beans. I mean, beans? Really? Is there a Pokemon version of Beano I can keep on hand?

Very disappointed as well about Lycanroc only being a single typing. I was really hoping it would be dual because I never carry mono rock, or mono ground Pokies on my team. Version exclusions won't affect me since my niece and I are getting opposite games. We'll both end up with both game versions.

The only monkey/ape/whatever I have any regard for and any feelings toward, in either real life, or the PokeVerse, is Infernape. The rest, yecch. No thank you.

I thought this was a really well put together trailer. Can't wait for the next one!

@Arceus the Dragon : Cool, so don't use the feature. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it bad.

Personally, I think it makes the games even more viable for me. If I want my character to actually look like how I would look (has not happened since Leaf from Fire Red/Leaf Green) I can do that! I don't have to worry about loathing a character's hair or clothes *glares at Dawn GLARES AT DAWN; rolls eyes at Lyra* turning me off from connecting with my trainer. If I just wanna go crazy and make the punkest, or cutest, or more fashion crazy trainer ever, I can!

Also battling other trainers isn't just a weird moment of fighting a clone of the character you're playing as. You get to see other people's sense of style and stuff! That's just awesome~!

There's no way for character customization to be anything but a boon. ♥♥♥ ^0^
Actually it is pretty bad considering how it is not useful in the games. Customization was the downside of XY and now the downside of SM. I prefer the character as they are with no modifications. I have no interest in seeing what others look like. This is about catching pokemon, not a "how to look stylish" game. This is my opinion on the subject.

Actually it is pretty bad considering how it is not useful in the games. Customization was the downside of XY and now the downside of SM. I prefer the character as they are with no modifications. I have no interest in seeing what others look like. This is about catching pokemon, not a "how to look stylish" game. This is my opinion on the subject.
Well your opinion is yours of course, but there are not too many who would agree with you. The only downside created by fashion is the fact that in order to get into certain shops in the central down (I don't even remember its name because X/Y were meh to me) you required a certain amount of style... and if I recall correctly those shops were also fashion shops.

So honestly, I cannot see how you think it's a downside. It literally does nothing to bring the game down because you can just ignore it completely and have nothing taken away from your game play experience. And you haven't even PLAYED sun and moon yet so you can't say it's the downside of that game yet.

Because it provides no reward and is not very enjoyable in my opinion.

It is a downside because there is nothing rewarding about customization. You don't get items or anything from it. It is essentially useless in my opinion.

True, there's nothing rewarding about expressing yourself or playing a character with similar skin tone as yours.

Back
Top Bottom