• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Oh, so they made it so you can buy Mega Stones! But it's with BP.. and me who never has the interest to participate in any Battle facility, ahaha.

I wasn't a fan of any of the starters and was going to pick litten because I usually default to fire, but Brionne has grown on me.

3D graphics, Fairy type, Mega Evolutions, Amie, Super Training, PSS. All pretty big additions or improvements for the series. And customization, despite its absence in ORAS. How many of those things feature in SM, and what would SM look like without them? Take Poké Ride out, too.

I don't think it's really an equivalent exchange where you can look at how they did it previously and say, "Oh but they didn't do it bigger and better this time!" Gen III > Gen IV was a different ballgame from Gen V > Gen VI so of course they aren't going to progress or advance in the same way.

And anyway, sometimes you've got to take a small step back to take a bigger step forward.
Right but while adding things, everything else suffered, and it ended up in a muddled package.
Tight and focused pacing with a clear story start to finish(gen 5), Sloppy and disjointed pacing that offered unclear and mismatched endings to 3 plotlines that lead nowhere(gen 6)
Go Ichinose music VS whatever the hell was going on in Kalos
Unova was a well built region with a Cohesive theme VS the Super Mario Overworld that was Kalos, which had lpads of unfinished areas and didn't offer a whole lot of incentive to travel back to.

While some of these things aren't yet seen to be the case for Alola, the point still stands that somewhere between 2012 and 2013 something got lost, somewhere. No matter how much you add, if the overall package does not work, in the end it feels like the developer is just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. GF took a lot of bets with gen 6, a bit too many if you ask me, and lost. Objectively speaking its obvious they wanted to do something more then continue from Gen 5, but this series just doesn't work like that. DP gets a lot of hate thrown torwards it, but in the end it still had the heart of Pokemon in it, that much was obvious, and at the end of the day it was just a poorly optimized game. XY had a lot on its plate, sure, but if its only issue was being poorly optimized or not going for the right scale for the overworld, then this discussion wouldn't be happening. Cause at the end of the day no matter what was added, there was definitely something missing, something that was there only a year before.

I don't think Datrix is emo. He seems very dapper but empty headed. He seems like a lot of maintenance, but I would prefer him in moon over popplio.

Litten's evo looks just like a fatter, grumpier litten. If the leak regarding their evos prove true, litten is my choice for sun.

Aw, I was hoping we could hunt for Mega Stones, just like XY/ORAS. That was a fun little distraction.

We have Zygarde cells to look for in this generation.

Sure gen 6 was needed, groundwork and all that jazz, but at the very least compared to DP the ground it was on was way more shaky. DP was the same nightmare as XY, but that got platinum, but it still was veery much a continuation to what RSE offered and did for the series. XY was way too disjointed compared to Gen 5, which at the time was and kinda still is considered a new starting point for the series to build on. XY cut the momentum felt in those years, and that feeling has slowly been crawling back over the last few months, starting from the revelation that its level scaling returns. It was the gen that did little in terms of revolutions, but its evolution was stagnated come 2013.

SM Demo is double the size of ORAS', probably gonna be a bit longer too. I hope for the love of god they smartened up and trimmed it down to the neccessaries, cause if a dataminr reveals stuff over a month early its gonna be a bloodbath.

? while I agree that it was pretty strange that they jumped to Pokemon France from Pokemon New York State and City. Gen VI was about the transformation of the graphics and aesthetics and what better place has that down to a t? France or Italy. North America is great and all but Europe had more cultural wealth that would bring in the most aesthetic mileage with the new graphics. With the grand castles and cathedrals, beautfully refined cities, and luxurious amenities, France won out. France is also the fashion capital of the world so what better place would that be to introduce the player customization?

I'd disagree about XY doing little for changing the series, Fairies and Mega Evolutions have been some of the biggest shake ups since around Gen III's EV/IV haul and Gen IV's Physical/Special Split. If anything, Gen V revolutionised the series the less, as a lot of its features were inconsequential, self contained, or barley utilised. It was also the noticeable decline of side activities and battle facilities Imo.

Infinite use TMs and infinite weather were a pretty big shakeups as well. The PWT was great and triple battles were fun. Rotation battles, not so much.

@Mitchman I don't know what plotliones you're talking about that were mismatched and splotchy? Kalos was pretty dramatic. And it does have continuity in gen VII with Zygarde being introduced. In ORAS it was a remake of Ruby/Sapphire when the plots were disconnected. Perhaps the Delta episode will have relevance in the new generation? Besides in the Delta episode they did suggest that the world of ORAS is different than the world of Ruby and Sapphire. They mentioned Kalos frequently with regards to mega evolution throughout the game, as well.

Last edited:
250px-502Dewott.png
250px-503Samurott.png

auger_spiral_pink.jpg
yeah I thought Samurott's knee guards that were Dewott's shells. Thought Samurott's helmet is also a shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the helmet is outta nowhere, but Dewott to Samurott still makes sense as its fur wistband just becomes its default color while the belly remains the only place without fur, or the darker shade of fur to be specific. I see that spoilers are requires for the leaks so...
Dartrix really doesn't make sense, almost no starter after gen 4 has that drastic a change. Even gen 5.

efVg539.jpg

I don't know where to post this one from Spanish site. So there's new item "piedra hielo" (ice stone).

Glaceon evo method retcon? Alolan vulpix and sandshrew evo method? I doubt you can evolve alolan vulpix with fire stone then expect an ice/fairy ninetales..

I find it interesting if they do this. Must mean leafeon now evolve with leaf stone or alolan exeggutor with sun stone (regular ones with leaf stone).

-Gen 6 keeps on digging its "I was a mistake hole even fucking deeper." I like megas but god damn it, their post game relegation, each major feature of XY being paltry shadows of their SM incarnations, and everything and anything that made gen 5 so good is spiritually returning to the series, from the music to the gameplay, its like GF doesn't care or appreciate what they did over the last 3 years. And I am glad for that, so far this is gen 6 the way it should have been done, the gen 6 I was waiting for after the god tier, greatest experience ever that was B2W2. I NEED IT NOW.
Why are you aying this? To some extent, I could agree with you about XY in particular, but not Gen VI as a whole, because ORAS redeemed the generation, imo. . But even XY was far from a mistake. It was a good introduction for Gen VI.
-I think that each gen indeed is getting a feature, big or small, in the games. What it seems like to me is:
Gen 1 and 2 have Pokemon Snap like minigame and Stadium style rental battles
Gen 3 has ???
Gen 4 likely has the Honey Trees and the WiFi Plaza
Gen 5 has the Join Avenue and Entralink Hybrid
Gen 6 has the Pokemon Amie update and Riding
I wouldn't put the Pelago as an udpated Secret Base feature just yet, so I am thinking maybe it really is the frontier returning. That alone would make it a great fucking feature list tbqh, everything major except habitats and the PWT is missing, Pokeathlon and the Pokestar Studios would be way too hard to implement and offer way too much in game to return.
-Gen 6 keeps on digging its "I was a mistake hole even fucking deeper." I like megas but god damn it, their post game relegation, each major feature of XY being paltry shadows of their SM incarnations, and everything and anything that made gen 5 so good is spiritually returning to the series, from the music to the gameplay, its like GF doesn't care or appreciate what they did over the last 3 years. And I am glad for that, so far this is gen 6 the way it should have been done, the gen 6 I was waiting for after the god tier, greatest experience ever that was B2W2. I NEED IT NOW.
Why are you assuming so many unconfirmed things? There is no Battle Frontier, no Secret Bases, and no side activity like Contests/okeathlon/Pokewood sofar. SM is looking very promissing sofar, but it´s only a promiss sofar. With those 3 features (or equivalents), the game could reach BW2 tier (read: best game ever tier).

But sofar, SM is nowhere near BW2 level in terms of content. It is basically XY tier, maybe a little higher, but definitely lower than ORAS.

A lot of people are just confusing "new mechanics" with "more game content/postgame content". SM has a lot of new mechanics. But mechanics don´t mean "extra content":

- Z Crystals are just flashy moves, not extra content.
- Alola Forms are just alternative looks, not extra content.
- Poke Ride is the new HM system, not extra content.
- UBs are villains, not extra content.
- Island Trials come at the expense of Gyms, so not extra content.

And so on...

The only actual "gameplay content" confirmed for SM sofar is

- Pokemon Amie
- Poke Finder (Snap minigame)
- Poke Pelag item searching and digging
- Festival Plaza shopping and minigames

To be honest, this is all of the confirmed single player content sofar, which is far from impressive imo. And even with the Festival Plaza... we don´t know if the Join Avenue feature will have an offline utility as well (BW2 Avenue has NPCs visiting you Avenue even offline as well) and we don´t know if the missions will be offline as well, like the BW2 Funfest missions were also available as single player content. And the internet support of a game is stopped in a few years, so those features just become unavailable, if they are online exclusive, so they shouldn´t realy count as content. Same goes for the Battle Royal

If SM also gets a Battle Frontier, a side activity like Contests, a side activity like Secret Bases, and the Funfest Mission- equivalent is offline available as single player content as well, and not just online, then SM is gonna be the best game ever, period. But sofar, the amount of áctual extra content is far from BW2, and definitely behind ORAS or HGSS as well.

Excuse me for the rant. It´s just that people are overhyping SM a lot (in terms of content).

Last edited:
efVg539.jpg

I don't know where to post this one from Spanish site. So there's new item "piedra hielo" (ice stone).

Woah! Good spot. I think that's definitely the Vulpix evolution method.

Woah! Good spot. I think that's definitely the Vulpix evolution method.

Got it from Reddit, it's like the legit 4chan. Lol

I really love the ice stone, it's such a beauty <3 well that's my bias, since I'm an ice type trainer. Lol

Moss rock can be in lush jungle and ice rock can be on the ice mountain, but they keep on devoting a location for these location specific evo exclusives.. Might as well simplify it with ice and leaf stone. And magnetic stone for probopass and magnezone for that matter.

Right but while adding things, everything else suffered,
i don't really think it's all that fair to write everything else when it's not really....everything else.
Tight and focused pacing with a clear story start to finish(gen 5)
the pacing may have been tight and focused, but it was also formulaic. every badge played out like a chapter that followed this generic structure: 1) an encounter with Cheren; 2) an encounter with Bianca; 3) an encounter with Plasma; and 4) an encounter with the gym leader. there may have been some overlap, but the story played out relatively the same.
Sloppy and disjointed pacing
outright that's an exaggeration. it definitely wasn't a consistent pacing, but then again, BW aside, pacing has never been consistent in Pokemon. for what it's worth, Sinnoh also has a huge pacing problem but you're not gonna catch many people saying much about it cus DPPT love is in right now. that being said i personally enjoyed the less consistent pacing because it felt more of an adventure rather than the BW-esque "go to city, get badge, go to route to next city, get to city, get badge, etc."
that offered unclear and mismatched endings to 3 plotlines that lead nowhere(gen 6)
....such as? unless we're playing the "what happened to Lysandre," "ghost girl question mark," "power plant doors," etc game to which i'd just say that not everything is Chekhov's Gun.
Go Ichinose music VS whatever the hell was going on in Kalos
subjective ~ !
Unova was a well built region
people reading this in 2010 would not believe you at all. (yes, BW2-Unova is a step up from BW-Unova at least.)
with a Cohesive theme
and Kalos, playing heavily on the themes of beauty and taking from standard French imagery....didn't?
the Super Mario Overworld
thought you were talking about Unova at first, but also just about every region anyways since they've all been pretty much city -- route --> city -- route --> city anyways.
which had lpads of unfinished areas
such as?
and didn't offer a whole lot of incentive to travel back to.
i've always hated this complaint about Kalos because there is. a sizeable number of routes had small puzzles and stuff to do. Route 21 isn't huge...but that's also largely considering if you only go gate to gate. there's a sizeable area to the south with some trainers and a Strength puzzle, as well as the Draco Meteor tutor so that's plenty of reason-- at least to me-- to at least clear it once and then come back and explore.

but then on that note, when has Pokemon ever been good about encouraging backtracking and a sort of "second glance" at an area?

Last edited:
Why are you aying this? To some extent, I could agree with you about XY in particular, but not Gen VI as a whole, because ORAS redeemed the generation, imo. . But even XY was far from a mistake. It was a good introduction for Gen VI.

Why are you assuming so many unconfirmed things? There is no Battle Frontier, no Secret Bases, and no side activity like Contests/okeathlon/Pokewood sofar. SM is looking very promissing sofar, but it´s only a promiss sofar. With those 3 features (or equivalents), the game could reach BW2 tier (read: best game ever tier).

But sofar, SM is nowhere near BW2 level in terms of content. It is basically XY tier, maybe a little higher, but definitely lower than ORAS.

A lot of people are just confusing "new mechanics" with "more game content/postgame content". SM has a lot of new mechanics. But mechanics don´t mean "extra content":

And so on...

The only actual "gameplay content" confirmed for SM sofar is

- Pokemon Amie
- Poke Finder (Snap minigame)
- Poke Pelag item searching and digging
- Festival Plaza shopping and minigames

To be honest, this is all of the confirmed single player content sofar, which is far from impressive imo. And even with the Festival Plaza... we don´t know if the Join Avenue feature will have an offline utility as well (BW2 Avenue has NPCs visiting you Avenue even offline as well) and we don´t know if the missions will be offline as well, like the BW2 Funfest missions were also available as single player content. And the internet support of a game is stopped in a few years, so those features just become unavailable, if they are online exclusive, so they shouldn´t realy count as content. Same goes for the Battle Royal

If SM also gets a Battle Frontier, a side activity like Contests, a side activity like Secret Bases, and the Funfest Mission- equivalent is offline available as single player content as well, and not just online, then SM is gonna be the best game ever, period. But sofar, the amount of áctual extra content is far from BW2, and definitely behind ORAS as well.

Excuse me for the rant. It´s just that people are overhyping SM a lot (in terms of content). You can´t just compare an unreleased game, to the best game sofar (BW2) in terms of content so lightly.
I didn't say all that is in game. I only said the frontier might be. So far, every new feature os either an expansion of something previous, or draws from other games in the franchise because the original generation had no real features to draw from, only the remakes did in a way. So yeah, when considering that all the generations so far bar gen 3 have something to offer in game, either by a feature or mechanic that is returning, it needs to be pondered just what can gen 3 be celebrated with that has not bee shown yet? If it were some sort of house building expansion of the secret bases I would assume they would show it, wouldn't yo?

Got it from Reddit, it's like the legit 4chan. Lol

I really love the ice stone, it's such a beauty <3 well that's my bias, since I'm an ice type trainer. Lol

Moss rock can be in lush jungle and ice rock can be on the ice mountain, but they keep on devoting a location for these location specific evo exclusives.. Might as well simplify it with ice and leaf stone. And magnetic stone for probopass and magnezone for that matter.

I might be having a dumb moment here, but what is that Piedra Pómez? That looks new too.

Personally I don't think they'd change the pre-existing evolution methods for Glaceon/Leafeon, and Magnezone/Probopass. There just isn't much of a reason to.

I would like to rebut some of these... but most notably these two:
- Z-Moves all have to have an animation and data (as well as any effects and extra calculations that come with the move), and on the basis of them being completely new instead of just a move in overdrive (which is how they function but not necessarily what they appear to be), that's more content - at least, for the programmers to program.
- Alola Forms are extra content by virtue of their suggestion of being a new design that takes as much effort as an entirely new Pokemon to input into the game, and having different moves helps - while it may be an assumption to suggest they have different stats, it seems like the kind of thing they wouldn't just gloss over, especially if they take care to detail that an Alolan Sandslash is normally very slow...

The rest of them that I want to note can be summed up by one word: Assumptions.
- You're making an assumption that HMs are completely absent which, mind you, may still be the case. I mean, it may not exactly be extra content in your eyes, but it's a new method of travel inspired by the rides and the Soaring of the previous Generation... It's certainly new for them to even suggest that we could forego HMs in the first place.
- Again, assumptions. Ultra Beasts are also more content that are designed like any other Pokemon - at least, judging by how they've got their own cry and an entire set of animations. I of course can put in my own assumption by saying that they may be able to be caught, but we'll find out in due time.

float stone. jp name is pumice stone which is what that name is in spanish.

Ahhh gotcha. The sprite looked really unfamiliar, but that makes sense because I don't think I've ever given the Float Stone a second glance.

Back
Top Bottom