• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

*** The Battle Royal, Join Avenue, Festival missions, etc, are NOT confirmed to be in game, they are only confirmed as a multiplayer online feature, sofar.
What on earth makes single player features better than multiplayer ones? As long as they aren't local only (unlike Unova's Entralink) and random players can be paired together, the features should be perfectly accessible.

And those features disappear once the internet support of the SM is gone in a few years lol
They won't disappear for as long as Sun and Moon are relevant. And any feature not tied to the Global Link will be accessible even after the generation is over (the Nintendo Network is unlikely to be shut down anytime soon, since it is maintained by Nintendo itself rather than a third party).

What on earth makes single player features better than multiplayer ones? As long as they aren't local only (unlike Unova's Entralink) and random players can be paired together, the features should be perfectly accessible.

They won't disappear for as long as Sun and Moon are relevant. And any feature not tied to the Global Link will be accessible even after the generation is over (the Nintendo Network is unlikely to be shut down anytime soon, since it is maintained by Nintendo itself rather than a third party).
"As long as SM is relevant", is not good enough for me, those features should always stay available.

For example, I got to play BW2 for the first time this year, 2016. I had, and still have, a lot of fun with Funfest Missions, and Join Avenue. Do you know why? Because they weren´t extinct due to online support ending. That´s why. Game Freak were intelligent enough to assure those features could continue to be enjoyed even 5, or 10 years after the game´s release.

So, if SM´s Plaza Join Avenue and Funfest Missions equivalents are online/multiplayer only, it would be very disappointing. If they managed to make them single player and multiplayer in BW2, there is no excuse they make them multiplayer only for SM.

Just my personal opinion, though. I know some people only care about a game when it is "relevant", but I can´t really enjoy a feature that I know will not be available if I replay the game in a few years.

Last edited:
"As long as SM is relevant", is not good enough for me, they should always stay available.

For example, I got to play BW2 for the first time this year, 2016. I had, and still have, a lot of fun with Funfest Missions, and Join Avenue. Do you know why? Because they weren´t extinct due to online support ending. That´s why. Game Freak were intelligent enough to assure those features could continue to be enjoyed even 5, or 10 years after the game´s release.

So, if SM´s Plaza Join Avenue and Funfest Missions equivalents are online/multiplayer only, it would be very disappointing. If they managed to make them single player and multiplayer in BW2, there is no excuse they make those multiplayer only for SM.

Just my personal opinion, though. I know some people only care about a game when it is "relevanr¡t", but I can´t really enjoy a feature that I know will not be available if I replay the game in a few years.

I gotta agree with this. I'm disappointed to see that features in games I never got around to playing have been discontinued before I could even experience them. Like I never got Black or White, but now if or when I do, I guess I'll never know what Dream World was like?

And I still play Diamond occasionally (which is actually the last Pokemon game I ever got- I really haven't been interested in playing any of the games until Sun and Moon) just to dig in the Underground, so let's say that the Underground was an online feature that they could discontinue- that would suck because that's my favorite feature for that particular game and the reason I keep going back to it.

So yeah, online-only features are kind of dangerous in that they do eventually disappear and either someone picking up an old game is going to miss out on something or someone who used to play might lose a feature that they fell in love with. Online features are better if they can still work offline, so you can still use things even when the online service is discontinued- because I do understand that they can't just keep supporting online features for old games.

My thoughts on the trailer boil down to:

"FINALLY THE MIDDLE STARTER EVOS!"

That was the most relevant feature to me. I kind of forgot everything else in it, but that's okay, I'll probably try out these new features and understand them better once I get the actual game.

As for my thoughts on the starter evos, I like Brionne and Torracat. Brionne resembles that leaked evolution, leading more to it being confirmed and making me quite pleased because I absolutely adore that thing's design. But it is also a solid middle evolution on its own. It's quite cute and I love that skirt. Torracat has a fire bell and I adore that as well. It is also cute and I prefer its design to Litten. Kinda has a body shape similar to a lynx, in my opinion. But knowing that it'll probably evolve into that muscle-bound strong man... of course, I'm still hoping that there are split evolutions as there are with Rockruff because I'd love to see them continue the bell theme. (Maybe it'll become a lynx for the other evolution!)

Then there's Dartrix... I don't like it. I didn't like Rowlet either. At least its proportions are more realistic. But I just forsee this thing becoming even more of an annoying meme like Rowlet did.

Also, I'll probably be playing that demo. Just too curious not to. But I could care less about Ash-Greninja. Except for the fact that it makes no sense. Why is it called Ash-Greninja if they're emphasizing a bond with you yourself and NOT Ash? They could've at least had a different name if they had to use that design. But honestly, I see no reason for it to be in the game. Its concept makes no sense because it is exclusive to a single anime character. Unless they bring Ash into the games... and I would not like that, to be honest. I've been trying to disassociate these two canons for a long time and having the anime shoved in my face like that is quite displeasing. I guess they're just doing it for tie-in merchandising or something. Not a huge deal, but still annoying in the way that them giving Pikachu its anime voice in X/Y is annoying.

Last edited:
Dartrix is my favorite. Pikachu's voice in XY was fine by me. Agree that we don't need Ash in the games especially as we have Red instead. They should have change the name of the Greninja form too.

Food for thought. What if they called it Ash-Greninja because the Special Demo for Sun & Moon ties into the anime and explains why the heck Ash has to say goodbye to Greninja? I mean, I could be saying this in the anime board too but IDK, I don't hang there often.

Dartrix is my favorite. Pikachu's voice in XY was fine by me. Agree that we don't need Ash in the games especially as we have Red instead. They should have change the name of the Greninja form too.
This was my biggest problem with it. I don't mind the form at all, it's new and different and probably cool. But to call it Ash-Greninja in a different canon where we are to believe that Ash doesn't exist just seems... wrong. If it were simply just Bond-Greninja (...James Bond-Gren...), lol no, seriously, just anything that doesn't reference Ash plz thnx.

Side note, Pikachu's voice in gen VI hurts me on a mental level. I can't stand the voices in the anime and I like to think Pokemon make more realistic sounds than simply their name. Then XY had to ruin that with pikachu. Luckily it doesn't look like they are any time soon, but if they decide to give that treatment to every Pokemon... euch, I don't even wanna think of that.

I love Brionne ♡

People complaining about Brionne looking girly must have forgotten about Kirlia and Gardevoir, especially when the latter even developed a ballroom dress in its mega evolution form. Iirc people hardly complained about male Gardevoirs and it was one of the most-used in online competitions, and now people are complaining about Brionne wearing a frilly dress? What's the difference between that and Kirlia's tutu?

Also, can't wait for the demo :D

Last edited:
I love Brionne ♡

People complaining about Brionne looking girly must have forgotten about Kirlia and Gardevoir, especially when the latter even developed a ballroom dress in its mega evolution form. Iirc people hardly complained about male Gardevoirs and it was one of the most-used in online competitions, and now people are complaining about Brionne wearing a frilly dress? What's the difference between that and Kirlia's tutu?

You must be misremembering or weren't part of the community that far back...a lot of people complained about male Gardevoir. The only difference is that its been around since Gen III, and we had a male evolution since Gen IV, so people gave up.

We could also wait and see if they make a male version of it. imo they only need to scale down the eyelashes. :)

Female Machop line, female Seedot line, Male, Bellossom, Male Lopunny and Buneary, male Skitty line, female Infernape, female Poliwrath, female Blaziken, male Milotic, male Glameow line, female Embore and pignight, female Darantan, female Tumbber line, male Gothita line, hemale Zoroark, and female Scafty line all says hi and no one comaplains about then and now people are Bironne. If you never complained about the Pokemon mentioned and then you started complaining about Pokemon gender mixups now even though Pokemon having genders since generation two.

You must be misremembering or weren't part of the community that far back...a lot of people complained about male Gardevoir. The only difference is that its been around since Gen III, and we had a male evolution since Gen IV, so people gave up.
I wasn't part of the community back then. But really disappointing to hear that because I thought it wasn't that much of a big deal.

I love Brionne ♡

Because Ralts was not a starter. Why are you going to give a 50/50 chance of a starter being a boy or girl when it's evolutions seem to be incredibly feminine.

Even a male gardevoir was weird, because it was basically a dude in a dress. But back to my point, if it's a boy or girl pokemon and not just boy or just girl then give it neutral looking evolutions. Just look at bulbasaur, it can be a boy or girl, but look at ivysaur. It doesn't look too masculine or too feminine. Same goes with charmander when it evolves into charmeleon. But the popplio line looks way too feminine, they even go so far as to put girl eyelashes on brionne to emphazize that it's female. Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter.

Because Ralts was not a starter. Why are you going to give a 50/50 chance of a starter being a boy or girl when it's evolutions seem to be incredibly feminine.

Even a male gardevoir was weird, because it was basically a dude in a dress. But back to my point, if it's a boy or girl pokemon and not just boy or just girl then give it neutral looking evolutions. Just look at bulbasaur, it can be a boy or girl, but look at ivysaur. It doesn't look too masculine or too feminine. Same goes with charmander when it evolves into charmeleon. But the popplio line looks way too feminine, they even go so far as to put girl eyelashes on brionne to emphazize that it's female. Anyway, that's just my two cents on the matter.

There's plenty of flamboyant male animals in nature, so I don't see point in fretting over the gender of a fictional sea lion tbh.

It's not a human. Why should it have to conform to gender norms?

There's plenty of flamboyant male animals in nature, so I don't see point in fretting over the gender of a fictional sea lion tbh.

It's not a human. Why should it have to conform to gender norms?
Because if it's a male but the pokemon clearly looks feminine like in brionne's case. Then it's basically a cross-dressing pokemon. Just keep it all female

Why are you going to give a 50/50 chance of a starter being a boy or girl when it's evolutions seem to be incredibly feminine
It's actually 87.5/12.5 because starter ratio is 7:1 for male to female, respectively.

To be honest all it's going to produce is more fanart, lol.

Flamingoes are only pink because of the food they eat. Nice try.

They're still feminine looking regardless of how they get that pink colouring. My point is, animals and their appearance, genetic or otherwise, don't have to fit human gender norms because they don't have a concept of that.

And there's plenty of animals that flip gender norms besides flamingos ;)

Back
Top Bottom