• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Yes, Kommo-o could be special based attacker, however, I think it isn´t, since the official site says its uppercut is itis stronger weapon, and that sounds quite physical xD

Well it could be a mixed attacker then, perhaps with slightly higher Sp. Atk. Especially if it's a pseudo, it has enough BST for both attacking stats!

Silvally looks even better in game, and I'm really excited to see my blonde edgelord with it in the game. He really does remind me of a little Arceus, and I like it, because it makes me like Arceus even more too.

Yeah, Kommo-o is just a little too overdesigned form me. I thought seeing it in game would help, but it didn't. While I don't really like Kommo-o, Hakamo-o is actually pretty cool. His design is simple, but still complex. Probably one of the few Pokemon that I find the mid-stage better than the final.

Similarly, I like Bounsweet's first evo, Steenee, a lot. It's super cute and it reminds me of a little ballerina. I like it, and the colors on it really work well together.Tsareena is okay. Nothing too special, but I can definitely see it getting a lot of Rule 34 love.

Ribombee was probably my favorite one revealed today. It's such a solid evolution, and I love how the little brown thing on it's neck looks like a scarf. If I didn't already have Mimikyu on my main team, Ribombee would totally be getting a spot on there. For some reason, the scarf gives me an idea that Ribombee might have a little bit of significance in a plot, or maybe one of the trial captains or Kahunas will have one. As a writer, it's what stands out to me as something I would use to tell a story about Ribombee.

Speaking of Trial Captains and Kahunas, we got some solid ones of those. Like everyone else, I can barely tell whether Ilima is supposed to be a boy or a girl. I do tend to like those characters, so I'm glad to see one in game. Solid design too, I like the little charm in the hair.

Olivia is like the third Pokemon waifu I have found in these games. Seriously, what's up with all the waifu material. I mean, I'm not complaining. Lots of husbandos too. Anywho, I'm really excited to meet Olivia in game. She really gives off a strong personality, with a lot of confidence. And I like that. Her design is great too.

I would personally dislike that, Vinx, because making a Pokemon a mixed attacker, means less BST points are dedicated to other stats that the Pokemon could need (Speed, Defense, Special defense, etc)

I, personally, ALWAYS use the stronger attacking stat, be it Sp. Att. or Att., and don´t boost the weaker one, because this way I can invest more EVs on stats that will both be useful. I just don´t like mixed sets... I know they make a Pokemon more unpredictable (like Lucario), but it also makes them more fragile, and I would rather Kamo-o be a well rounded one.

So, I would prefer one attacking stat being clearly superior to the other one, doesn´t matter which one :p

Last edited:
Is it too early to suggest that this Silvally/Arceus stuff could be hinting at Gen 4 remakes? ;)

You know, I confess that I've never been a huge fan of Arceus. I've always been broadly content with its existence, and it does have a cool design, but it always felt, to me, like an example of them going too big with the mythology and trying to outdo themselves.

Silvally helps to assuage that feeling for me. It's a bit hard to explain, but it gives Arceus a certain... tangibility. If its power can be observed and replicated by human hands. I have said elsewhere that I am not at all one for the "Pokémon as literal gods" interpretation, and in my view, this sort of makes Arceus feel like just another Pokémon, albeit an extremely powerful one (not that it was ever in question).

Of course, that's not the only way that you could read into their connection, but it's how I prefer to.

Just saw the U.S. trailer, so of course I gotta leave my thoughts. I must say though that I'm surprised that the trailer was just what I thought it would be; new evos and characters.

Silvally- Same opinion I had of it before. It's just Type:Null with a wolf head, lol. I do however like that the ability is called RKS System as a straight up reference to Arceus.

Hakamo-o and Kommo-o look better animated, but they're still pretty meh to me. I still would have preferred if they'd been quadruped like Jangmo-o. I still prefer Kommo-o.

Bounsweet's evos are not what I would have expected. I was kind of hoping they'd stay looking frutish rather than becoming humanoid like oh so many grass-types. Steenee is actually pretty cute, but Tsareena is a bit much for me. Oh well, maybe they'll grow on me. I do like how they remain pure-grass though. I also found it funny that Queenly Majesty is pretty much exactly like Dazzling and they had Tsareena battling a Bruxish in the trailer.

Ribombee-Another Pokemon becoming slightly humanoid. It's less-so that Tsareena though so I'm a bit more comfortable with it. I'm glad that it still looks cute.

Alolan Muk-Alright, that thing is pretty cool. I love how the colors just flow down its body.

Oliva looks cool. Nice to see another Kahuna and that they also use Ultra Balls. And Illma...yeah. Nice to know the first Trail Captain I guess.

Overall a pretty nice update.

The trailers have these cool, Hawaiian inspired themes and that one battle theme with a funky bass ... and then the regular battle theme comes and it disappoints me every time I hear it.

I was right about the Grimer line being based on oil spills it seems. That's neat.

It's really interesting that Tsareena seems to be taking a physical route. Even though I like that line I feel Tsar's design is pretty similar to Lilligant. But it's fine, there's going to be overlap in designs sometimes. I do kind of wish it had an ability that was a bit different from Bruxish's, but whatever. Maybe it has a secondary effect we don't know of yet.

I could see Kommo-o having mixed attacking stats. It'd certainly grant it more options.

I prefer Shiruvadi over Silvally, but...eh, that's what nicknames are for. Steenee & Tsareena are growing on me.

With the way they talked about Tsareena being focused on kicking it's kind of a shame they didn't give it a Grass/Fighting typing.

It would have been interesting to see a more glamorous fighting type Pokemon. Also with the way Bounsweet was terrorized it would have been a fitting turn around.

I guess it's not unusual for a generation to introduce different Pokemon lines of the same type but I'm still not sure how to feel about Tsareena and Lurantis both being pure grass.....and they both fill a similar design niche too.

Steenee & Tsareena are growing on me.

I had no idea you were a tree!

With the way they talked about Tsareena being focused on kicking it's kind of a shame they didn't give it a Grass/Fighting typing.

I like the thought of a glamorous Fighting type, although I don't know if its emphasized in Tsareena enough to justify it. It can fight, but mostly, it's a queen. Royalty defend their subjects when it is necessary to do so, but they aren't generally known for going out and doing the fighting themselves. I don't know. I suppose it could work, but I can see why it's not there.

I wasn't crazy about Cutiefly but I do find Ribombee more interesting to look at. It's going in the right direction, maybe if it evolves it'll sway me enough to actually use it. :p

Neopolitan Muk is certainly interesting. I'm not much of a fan of that family though so it doesn't really change much for me.

Well, it looks like Tsareena has found her way to get into Alola, Pokemon anime fans should be happy.

Alolan Grimer looked like a discolored Grimer. Alolan Muk though, that guy's terrifying.

Did anyone else realise that when Tsareena used High Jump Kick, it looked exactly like a Grass Type move with all these flowers and greens. I think in this generation some moves will look different for certain types which is so cool.

That's actually a new move called Trop kick. Which is why it looks different lol

My thoughts of the trailer:

*What's that song? Is that Gladius's battle theme? They really wanna drive the point home that Silvally is Gladius's signature pokemon with that official art.
*Silvally looks cool, and I didn't get the pun with RKS System, until I looked at TV Tropes, and they labelled it as "Punny Name".
*So, it could hold plates and change type, too, right? It could also hold the other type enhancing items, like Metal Coat and Sharp Beak. Interesting...
*I wonder how strong Multi-Attack is? Maybe it's a multi-strike move? Physical Judgement clone?
*Hakamo-o and Kommo-o look alright, but they'll probably grow on me eventually. Its signature move sounds like a sound-based move, and it's interesting that it lowers its own Defense.
*Steenee and Tsareena look cute, and I can see the latter being someone's waifu-mon alongside Laurantis.
*Wait, is Queenly Majesty a clone of Dazzling? Interesting...
*Ribombee's cute too, and I like that it looks like it's wearing a scarf. It looks like it can evolve further, and I like to see if that's true.
*Oh, Muk's getting an Alola form, too? Oh... wow... the colors. Interesting. Very pollution-like. I like it.
*Ah, cool, a new Kahuna. Olivia looks cool. I see people already loving her.
*Ilima... huh... The first Trial Captain, too. I admit, I really wanna know if they have a gender. Apparently, the English site doesn't use pronouns when describing them.

Overall a good trailer. I liked it a lot.

The Jangmo-o line looks even better in game. I get a proto-bird theropod vibe from Kommo-o (looks like feathers around its shoulders), kind of odd evolving from an ankylosaur-alike but I like it.

I was neutral about Alolan Grimer but I actually like Alolan Muk a lot, looks like an iridescent oil slick o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶e̶r̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶l̶u̶c̶i̶n̶o̶g̶e̶n̶ ̶j̶o̶k̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.

Hell's frozen over, I actually like Alolan Muk. Thank goodness it still has Poison Touch.

I've waited too long for Ribombee and it didn't disappoint (outside of not getting Technician for that Draining Kiss).

The others are alright. I haven't seen the official site on these but I'm holding out for Queenly Majesty having a different effect from Dazzling and just happens to block Aqua Jet. I'm iffy about duplicate abilities.

Has anyone noticed that the color of the kahuna's clothes match the color in english?

For example, Hala is the kahuna of melemele island. Melemele is yellow in hawaiian and hala is wearing yellow clothes

Olivia is the kahuna of akala island, akala means pink in hawaiian, and she's wearing pink clothes. I just noticed that!

This trailer was full of nice surprises. Silvally looks pretty cool and I liked that we got to see its ability in action. Hakamo-o and Kommo-o are growing on me more since they do look better in the game footage, especially Hakamo-o. Still a bit disappointed with how Jangmo-o's evolved forms turned out, but they're fine. I wasn't expecting Bounsweet to evolve twice. I actually liked Steenee and Tsareena. They have nice designs and make the Bounsweet line a lot more interesting than I thought it would. I probably won't get one on my teams still, but it does make the Pokemon stand out more.

I've been so eager to see Cutiefly's evolution since it was revealed and I do like Ribombee, but I do hope that it's not the final form. It looks way more like a middle staged Pokemon than a final form, even though I don't know how likely that is when this trailer showed various evolutions and included final forms. I still like it and it will most likely end up on my Moon team, but I just hope it evolves again.

Alola Grimer and Muk look pretty nice in the game. I especially liked Alola Muk because of the rainbow colors, so that was a nice surprise. It does have a pretty nice type combination too, so that might make it a possibility for me down the road with one of my teams.

Olivia does have a pretty nice design. She just screams confidence and determination. Ilima seems pretty nice and friendly.

Back
Top Bottom