• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

It all has to do with preferences. Some people probably don't care and just think, "Eh, it's a Pokémon, who cares about the gender," while others say, "It's gotta have the right gender so it matches its appearance!" (The latter being me.)

Like, I'm still wondering why the Aegislash line isn't genderless.
Sometimes people use pronouns when talking about inanimate objects. Weapons, cars, you name it and somebody has probably said "yeah, she cuts like a knife!" Or "he's the best car I've ever had!" Or something like that.

Or at least that's how I took it. So I wouldn't nessisarily call that an inconsistency. Also while we're at it a lot of animals are androgynous in real life and that's what attract mates so pokemon like Oricorio being cheerleaders, geisha, flamenco dancers, and a hula dancers aren't either.

Gardivoir on the other hand was probably an oversight hence the creation of gallade a gen later. Either that or they couldn't figure out how to do split gender-based evolutions until the DS era. But either way it was too late to retcon it so they just left male gardivoir possible.

It all has to do with preferences. Some people probably don't care and just think, "Eh, it's a Pokémon, who cares about the gender," while others say, "It's gotta have the right gender so it matches its appearance!" (The latter being me.)

They're. not. human. Why are you applying your human gender preferences to fictional creatures?

Lmao :p

Well personally I do think they'll be female only but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case. GF has been really inconsistent when it comes to genders. Like, I'm still wondering why the Aegislash line isn't genderless.

Well, there's a ghost inside the sword, and other ghosts in Pokémon have genders, so I always assumed that while the sword itself obviously doesn't have a gender, the ghost inside it does.

I love you.

I LOVE Gladion's battle theme ♡.♡ .

Ditto that. Pretty much every soundtrack in SM so far has been pretty outstanding. The only one I don't like so far is the rap-like Team Skull encounter music, as I don't like rap at all, but that's just me. Everything else has been pretty sweet. Let's face it, video games tend to get the best music.

Sometimes people use pronouns when talking about inanimate objects. Weapons, cars, you name it and somebody has probably said "yeah, she cuts like a knife!" Or "he's the best car I've ever had!" Or something like that.

Or at least that's how I took it. So I wouldn't nessisarily call that an inconsistency. Also while we're at it a lot of animals are androgynous in real life and that's what attract mates so pokemon like Oricorio being cheerleaders, geisha, flamenco dancers, and a hula dancers aren't either.

Gardivoir on the other hand was probably an oversight hence the creation of gallade a gen later. Either that or they couldn't figure out how to do split gender-based evolutions until the DS era. But either way it was too late to retcon it so they just left male gardivoir possible.

I see what you mean but when I was talking about inconsistencies I meant, why don't Klink or Metagross have genders as well? They're similar to Aegislash so I expected it to be genderless as well. Clearly GF doesn't have any sort of "rules" when it comes to giving Pokemon genders.

Same with Gardevoir and the like. Sometimes Pokemon that look feminine (or masculine) are female-only (or the opposite), sometimes they can have either gender. Besides if Gardevoir was an oversight I doubt they'd give Gothitelle a 25% male ratio in Gen V.

Well, there's a ghost inside the sword, and other ghosts in Pokémon have genders, so I always assumed that while the sword itself obviously doesn't have a gender, the ghost inside it does.

What about Golurk? Or Shedinja?

They're. not. human. Why are you applying your human gender preferences to fictional creatures?
I mean, if they don't want human preferences applied to them, maybe they shouldn't make them so, idk, humanoid. If it were something like a pink pony, whatever, let it be male. I'm not saying things like Gardevoir and Tsareena can't be male, but when you make something look human, and give them specific human qualities that might allude to one gender more than the other, then certain expectations can be applied to it (justified or not)

Buuuuuut let's not get into that right meow...

I mean, if they don't want human preferences applied to them, maybe they shouldn't make them so, idk, humanoid. If it were something like a pink pony, whatever, let it be male. I'm not saying things like Gardevoir and Tsareena can't be male, but when you make something look human, and give them specific human qualities that might allude to one gender more than the other, then certain expectations can be applied to it (justified or not)

Doesn't stop people from doing this to Brionne and Vulpix.

I see what you mean but when I was talking about inconsistencies I meant, why don't Klink or Metagross have genders as well? They're similar to Aegislash so I expected it to be genderless as well. Clearly GF doesn't have any sort of "rules" when it comes to giving Pokemon genders.

Same with Gardevoir and the like. Sometimes Pokemon that look feminine (or masculine) are female-only (or the opposite), sometimes they can have either gender. Besides if Gardevoir was an oversight I doubt they'd give Gothitelle a 25% male ratio in Gen V.

Well, Klink and Metagross probably have indescribable genders due to being a fusion between more of their kind. I mean, i might be reaching a little but Beldum could be unknown alien parasites hence another reason why at least metagross is genderless.

The swords on the other hand came to life through being possessed. So the ghost probably already had a gender. Or like I said they just did it as a nod to people gendering swords instead of like gears, alien parasites, golems (literal mud people), or the discarded zombie skin of a cicada.

As far as Gothitelle goes, like I already said it was based on goth loli fashion. So in a way that makes sense since there's a lot of men who crossdress as goth lolis. That and the whole being a goth Flatwoods monster thing. Aliens probably have diffrent social norms.

I'm probably just trying to make sense out of something that can indeed be explained as "gamefreak doesn’t have gender rules". Especially given bald eagles, vultures, and kangaroos are single sex species in the Pokemon world.

Anyone still hoping for a Grass/Fire revealed for this gen or are we past that now? Hope we get at least one more bit of news in November before release date.

I'm hoping Popplio's gender ratio is mostly female, but I'd still be down for the traditional starter ratio. Thing is, this gen's broken so many traditions that I can see them breaking the chain. I can understand why Meganium and Delphox are still mostly male - Meganium's not super-feminine like Sirene, and Delphox always hit me as pretty gender neutral despite how feminine Braixen is - but I'm sure Popplio's gonna break from tradition.
That and the whole being a goth Flatwoods monster thing.
Eh, I can sorta see a resemblance if I squint, but I'm not terribly sure if it's a reference to the monster. It's not as blatant as Sableye's resemblance to the Hopkinsville goblins, at least.

The Pokemon's name is literally "female Tsar" in Spanish, and the ability is Queenly Majesty, and you think it's ok for it to be male...

I never said what my own opinion was. I said: "I don't think a 50:50 ratio is anywhere near being out of the question here in terms of objective likelihood." I just said what I thought was likely to happen. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

Side note: Of course it's "ok for it to be male". I'm not going to get offended because a fictional plant creature does or does not match my idea of masculinity. Frankly, I don't give a single damn.

I never said what my own opinion was. I said: "I don't think a 50:50 ratio is anywhere near being out of the question here in terms of objective likelihood." I just said what I thought was likely to happen. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

Side note: Of course it's "ok for it to be male". I'm not going to get offended because a fictional plant creature does or does not match my idea of masculinity. Frankly, I don't give a single damn.
And who said I am offended? Who´s putting words in who´s mouth now?

Also, Tsareena is a pokemon that I personally don´t mind, at all. I was just explaining the origin of its name.

Last edited:
And who said I am offended? Who´s putting words in who´s mouth now?

Also, Tsareena is a pokemon that I personally don´t mind, at all. I was just explaining the origin of its name.

Oh, please. Your comment was clearly condescending in tone. You were implying that it was somehow negative for me to think that "it was ok for Tsareena to be male". Does that sound like the behaviour of someone who's only trying to explain a name?

On top of that, I never said you were offended. I was using that word to describe the reaction I would (not) have. But what's the point of arguing with you if you aren't even going to stand by your own words. This is unrelated to the topic of the thread, anyway. I'm going to stop replying now.

I couldn't agree more. Honestly, as I've said in another thread, I'm pretty sure that Game Freak's intent is for these Pokemon to be viewed as female. While you can say all you like that it's a fictional universe and our human values don't apply, they do. Because Game Freak themselves are staffed by humans and they have their own gender expectations based on general cultural things. It's impossible for a fictional work not to be influenced by human values. A non-human, completely outside of our society, would have to create it.

It's my belief that there is a bit of a disconnect between Game Freak's design team and their gameplay team. The designers just make these Pokemon, thinking about the lore, and have certain things in mind. Then the gameplay team applies gender later, not really caring as much about the lore. They do it most likely to make breeding for the Pokemon less of a pain in the ass. (With the exception of the starters and certain things like Eeveelutions, which they do for the opposite intent) It's all about gameplay, not about questioning gender norms. It's easier to breed a Pokemon if there's a male version of it too (particularly if it is a 50-50 chance), instead of having to go hunt out a Ditto or something in a compatible egg group. Also, in the case of passing on moves and such, it makes things much more convenient. (I realize that this was remedied somewhat in Gen VI, but for the longest time, it wasn't the case.)

They only seem to apply one gender in rare cases, which I cannot explain why and seems to be inconsistent. (For instance, something like Lilligant is 100% female, but then you have a similar-looking Pokemon like Gardevoir which has its infamous 50-50 split.) If every Pokemon had a more-or-less equal gender ratio, it wouldn't be so bothersome to me. But the fact that it is perfectly within the rules of this universe for gender-exclusive species to exist, and that they apply it so inconsistently is really what gets me.

But there is no need to get so hostile and defensive about gender. It's quite silly. If you want to believe in the breaking of gender norms, then you can believe that. If you want to believe that these Pokemon should only be female, you can believe that too. People get too worked up about these things and it really makes it difficult for me to enjoy these cute (that I view as female) Pokemon that I really like when a whole controversy has to stir up around them. Regardless of what we think, the company will do whatever they desire. They make a lot of nonsensical choices, in my opinion, for the sake of easier gameplay and fun. While a lot of people enjoy the lore of the series, in the end, this is a game that places more focus on the game itself rather than making sense. And sometimes, it just plain doesn't make any sense at all. So you might as well enjoy it and disregard/tolerate the things you don't.

Last edited:
Furthermore, names are still poor indicators of gender.

As I touched on in my previous post, I don't think genderized names really matter at all. Like, even though I don't agree, I can at least understand the logic of why some people think it's odd to have male Brionne, female Alakazam, etc., because those Pokémon have what are traditionally considered masculine/feminine characteristics. But if it's just in their name, then it's as I said, no different from male ladybugs or female daddy longlegs. That's just what we call them regardless of their sex. Mr. Mime, Slaking, Slowbro, and so on are just what their respective species are called. And we know from Oddish's Pokédex entries that there exist proper "scientific" names for each species; in Oddish's case, it's "Oddium Wanderus." So their regular names are more colloquial, just like the name "ladybug."

Has the second attack of Mega Kangaskan's Parental Bond been nerfed in Sun and Moon? At the end of the new Japanese trailer (at 3:50) Mega Kangaskhan is shown attacking a Wishiwashi but the video seems to skip a bit of it in the middle of the attack maybe so that people can't exactly see if it the power of the second attack has been decreased, stayed the same or increased. I think it would be good if it was decreased but it won't be relevant to this season's VGC rules which I normally play but maybe it will be in next season's VGC rules.

Back
Top Bottom