• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

So this time again, the starter final evo typings are arranged according to weaknesses -

Decidueye (Ghost) is weak against Incineroar (Dark) is weak against Primaria (Fairy)
just like Chestnaught (Fighting) < Delphox (Psychic) < Greninja (Dark)

I think they made Decidueye Ghost typing to balance this weakness thingy that starter final evos been sharing since XY.

Actually, due to Incineroar being part Fire, its weakness to Fairy is reduced to Neutral damage.

Cynthia appeared in a double battle together with the protagonist. She can't use all of her six pokemon of course.

Not really, we see Cynthia, Wally and other random trainers in single battles with only 3 Pokemon in the Japanese trailer.

deciduous + eye. drop the -ous in deciduous and make Decidueye. it's a soft c if that's any help as well.

Yeah I kinda figured it out but thanks. :p Can't say I like Incineroar and Decidueye very much though. At least Primarina rolls off the tongue more easily.

Every single leak proven true, huh.

Some cool info there. Looking forward to it.

Ghost from outta nowhere and the Randy Orton Pokemon.

Cynthia appeared in a double battle together with the protagonist. She can't use all of her six pokemon of course.

I dunno, you were able to do a 12 on 6 against Team Galactic in Platinum with your rival.

Last edited:
-If we actually get to have an entire Gym Quest in the post game of Alola, after going through something entirely new, and its around level 60+(considering we can find wild Pokemon in the mid 50s apparently) this might just be the best god damn game yet.
-Grass/Ghost outta nowhere, that is a glorious ruse, best starter confirmed.
-Red/Green in their mid 20s=Good, Cynthia/Wally being the same=lazy. Same shit as PWT, just with some gen 1 pandering thrown into the mix. I wonder if the Battle Tree will be like the Mt Battle from Colosseum, were you advance 100 floors up the tree. Also going to guess since Red/Green are in, then we will see other rivals and protags. Also going to guess Lucas/Dawn will also see new designs, to save the child designs for the remakes.

Just in general really happy and surprised at today's news, especially about the league. Screw people who talk about the league being some social secret base gym simulator, I want a glorious post game equivalent to HGSS', but in the same region. Give us a league that is significantly harder then the island trials, that also has its own post trial story going on.

Just when I thought we'd have less to look forward for the next upcoming announcements after the datamine.. This happened.

grass/ghost? Biggest plot twist ever. Who would have thought? Though it kinda made sense it lost the flying due to its immense size and the wings looked like it turned into a cape. Really amazing. The ghastly hint may be its mysterious face. Its name also points to its grassy nature actually died, like deciduous trees.. Well played, gamefreak.

Incineroar is so crazy. That lariat spin is funny. Hilarity ensues.

Interesting how the sub-types of the Gen 7 starters beat their counterparts in Gen 6.

Flying/Ghost vs Fighting

Dark vs Psychic

Fairy vs Dark

.....I wonder why?
Nice catch! Really interesting how they're making these synergies.
Omg, so Tapu Lele is a butterfly. Feel so stupid for just figuring it out.
Makes sense.. I just searched lele in hawaii and it's related to flying/fluttering like butterfly does..
It's a butterfly? I don't see it, how is it a butterfly?
Lele has butterfly wings on its back.

It's a real plot twist too. Did anyone call bulu's typing? Its horn does look wooden. And its inspiration is clearly bull, which are herbivorous..
Fini for fin, and it's fishlike inspiration, so water type is good enough. At least they all benefit with their ability.

Though I've been posting about the possibility of not having fire and ghost terrain due to grassy and misty needs its surgers, I didn't expect they'd acquire different type too.

Cynthia is pretty as always <3

Red and Blue!! their interaction is so funny. Red looks Stressed and blue is chill as always.

And the league formation most have thought to be fake turned out to be true. I'm excited for this!

IT ALL COMES TOGETHER

Red reminds me of the Brendan Frasier meme, I expect shops of that within the hour.

Green looks way better, but him being "Blue" just doesn't work anymore.

I've been a fan since the leaks but seeing him finally "revealed" I'm really loving Incineroar, seriously my favorite Starter since Torterra. Everyone was right on point with him being a Dark-type Heel, hell it's his Category!

If we actually get to have an entire Gym Quest in the post game of Alola, after going through something entirely new, and its around level 60+(considering we can find wild Pokemon in the mid 50s apparently) this might just be the best god damn game yet.

Very much doubt that there is a whole gym quest in the post game, especially since there's no room in Alola for that. Hiding another region until now would be pointless.

Also going to guess since Red/Green are in, then we will see other rivals and protags.

More likely only Red and Green because of the 20th anniversary crap they're doing lately.

If it weren't for the fact that someone once pointed out that Incineroar is probably based on Tiger Mask, a heel wrestler (who in staged fights is supposed to resort to underhand dirty tactics), I probably wouldn't be half as interested in it as I am.

Oh sure, I'm sure the 'wrestling' part comes as a sore spot to many fans after four generations of Fire/Fighting types. But the way I see it, Incineroar isn't even part Fighting. He gets a pass from me.

Could somebody please translate all the Japanese trailer text? I mean the Pokemon League and Battle Tree text in particular.

Last edited:
If it weren't for the fact that someone once pointed out that Incineroar is probably based on Tiger Mask, a heel wrestler (who in staged fights is supposed to resort to underhand dirty tactics), I probably wouldn't be half as interested in it as I am.

Oh sure, I'm sure the 'wrestling' part comes as a sore spot to many fans after four generations of Fire/Fighting types. But the way I see it, Incineroar isn't even part Fighting. He gets a pass from me.
He's been sold on me ever since the leaks. It wouldn't have bothered even if he was a quadruped bigcat. It's a tiger and I'm a bigcat lover :sneaky:

I don't mind the big sausage hands, I'm sure lots of other pokemon are disproportionate as well but still liked.

I gotta say I'm a fan of the Tapu guardians, I like the theme they have going on with the masks. Fini is beautiful and Lele is adorable. <3

AAAHH.

I'm surprised by Rowlet's final evo being Grass/Ghost... Incineroar and Primarina look great when they're animated!

I love the Tapus and their Z-Move... It's perfect.

And the Battle Tree? Sign me up for that. 0:

Cosmog is 999% adorable. Alolan Persian is still ugly to me.

I can't be excited about the Battle Tree since I've hated the "singles with three Pokémon" format ever since Stadium made it the standard.

So glad we don't have another fire/fighting starter though!

The Ghost typing on Dedicueye was unexpected, but not surprising, consider sniper have to stay unseen = ghost.

Just realized this. The name Incineroar, when pronounced in parts, also includes the sound of the word "Sin", which goes nicely with its Dark type. After all, sins has connections to evil. Also, another part in its name includes the word "Nero", which is greek for "Black", explaining its black color scheme.

Incineroar:

Incinerate, Incinerator, Sin, Nero, Roar.

"I'm going to incineroar you into a crisp!" - Incineroar, the Demon Tiger Wrestler of Hell.

Very much doubt that there is a whole gym quest in the post game, especially since there's no room in Alola for that. Hiding another region until now would be pointless.

More likely only Red and Green because of the 20th anniversary crap they're doing lately.

Isn't it possible that the blank spot with the Machamp in the demo is supposed to be where a gym goes?

If I recall correctly there's some other unusual blank looking spaces on other islands too.

I wouldn´t mind Gyms popping up in the postgame, at all. But I doubt it will happen, because the Island Trials are Alola´s version of Gyms. Pokemon Legue is accessed via Island Trials instead of traditional Gyms. That´s the only difference.

Last edited:
Atleast he's not fire fighting, in game he looks better then I thought he would, so I'm still team litten.

The best reveal was the battle tree, since Wally appeared some rivals may appear but I don't think all of them will. First only red as a protagonist will appear, so any rivals based on protagonists won't be there.

I do hope it's not just champions and rivals though, gym leaders, elite four, some NPCs,evil team leaders that aren't dead/gone (Archie and Maxie Only? Giovanni maybe) N

Back
Top Bottom