• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Does that new league remind anyone else of Mt. Battle?

Yes actually. I see what you mean.

No comments on grey garfield.

I think there is a lot to say about Nermal personally!

Like how GF shouldn't base their pokemon off of him.

Interesting how the sub-types of the Gen 7 starters beat their counterparts in Gen 6.

Flying/Ghost vs Fighting

Dark vs Psychic

Fairy vs Dark

.....I wonder why?

Yeah I noticed this a while back. It would still work even if it was still grass flying even.

gotta wonder why Wally looks the same as ORAS. RSE took place around the same time as RBYFRLG so I don't think ORAS was a decade+ after the originals?

So this trailer confirmed that Wally has some kind of growth defect? One that makes it so you don't grow past a certain age, I forget the actual name. Well, either that or it's more Gen1 pandering, sacrificing sense. One or the other. Although I'm fine with Cynthia not changing, I mean she was already a grown adult, I didn't think she'd really change or anything.

Wally not aging at all while Red and Blue have by a good 10 years is inconsistent. I hope that Silver receives favoritism, too.

They probably battle in the Battle Tree since the website says that some of the trainers there have completed the island challenge. Only the trial captains are known to have done so.

As for other returning characters, I don't expect to see gym leaders, but Elite Four members and rivals would help the Battle Tree not look like a downgraded version of the PWT. I hope that none of the Kalos "rivals" return, though. The only one that would make sense has a non-canon gender.

They're tied to the Battle Tree.

Ah! So you can battle Cynthia (and Wally) too! Thanks for the link.

I just wanna put out there that it's possible that ORAS takes place not long before XY and that Wally simply hasn't changed much. Since this is a new universe ORAS could have been moved up closer to the new games in this timeline, like FR&LG and HG&SS got moved up in the other timeline before it.

I was definitely not expecting them to reveal all the guardians already, GF really doesn't like surprises, do they? I know we already knew them from the datamine, but it would still have been more fun if their types had stayed secret for a while imo. I don't care much for them really, Tapu Koko is still the best by far. Don't hate them though, the idea is fun and them all having a terrain ability is cool. That Z-move though :/ Never touching that.

Cosmog is the cutest thing ever, I love it.

Personally I think Tapu Lele is the cutest thing ever! :X3: Also I think the Z move is pretty freakin cool. Probably my fav so far, or at least up there with the ghost one.

More likely only Red and Green because of the 20th anniversary crap they're doing lately.

Well we have Wally.

For those that thought that Rowlet's final evolution would keep the Grass/Flying type all the way without doubt. For the rest, Incineroar is a keep for me and is going to be my starter for sure now, and Primarina is also great looking. The name is really nice. Rowlet's final evo name is just horrible and too difficult to pronounce.

Anywho... Grass/Ghost?! What? xD Putting that on the Number 1 spot on the list of "Typings That Make No Sense". Still, Decidueye was my favourite when I first saw the leaks and it still is. Looks so freaking amazing. 2nd favourite starter after Infernape. The other types were on-point, though.

And Cosmog :D So adorable! The Japanese trailer has a few overworld scenes with it and it's just so cute. Can't wait to see exactly how it fits into the story, although it being taken care of by Aether makes me think it'll have some sort of connection to UBs and maybe even Type:Null.

Personally I wish the Rowlet line stayed Flying all the way through. It doesn't fit the ghost flavor at all. Also yea its easily got the worst name of the 3, but I feel like I could get used to it. Still would have really preferred Robinhoot though.

Wait it was stated that Cosmog is being cared for by Aether?

Apparently Incineroar is a big softie on the inside -

Quote from official website "When it receives the admiration of young Pokémon and children, it may keep up its cold attitude on the outside, but in its heart of hearts, Incineroar is immensely happy. It loses the desire to fight when faced with a Pokémon that’s clearly weak or injured, and it sometimes gets taken advantage of as a result."

In another news, Incineroar plays dirty by attacking opponent trainers as well.
The best. And I had seen that too! That's so great that it actually has a big heart inside <3.
This is my response to Incineroar:
ULNNIAS.gif

Other than that, I've said most of my thoughts on Discord, but they essentially come to this: Interesting proposition with the Island Guardians and a shared Z-Crystal and Z-Move... Wonder what move activates it? And on top of that, the typings are unexpected for a lot of mons! My boy Decidueye's lookin' pretty nice and reaffirms my belief that it's basically Kamen Rider Ghost Robin Damashii.

And as for the Battle Tree... Cynthia's looking a bit smaller than what we thought she looked like.

I love it so much. God this trailer just showed off exactly what I loved about it. That overwhelming personality. Darkest Lariat is so badass, and the best of the signature moves.

And yeah I also thought she was weirdly small glad someone pointed it out! Weird.

As for tha Tapus, s there any reason why it couldn't just be any particular psychic move? Did the datamine show signatures had to be for specific ones?

I think the datamine managed to not really spoiled the starters too much. We already knew them way before then and they were basically confirmed as soon as Mallow came out. This gave them great animations and personality though. theres so much! Same for Cosmog. Even Persian looks (a little) better to me in motion.

Decidueye - Grass/Ghost?!?! I can’t even… Okay I will admit this there was a part of me that believed that grass/flying wouldn’t be this guy’s final typing. When the starters were first revealed, I was doing a little research on owls in Hawaii, and I learned that a Hawaiin myth states owls are said to rescue lost souls from the underworld. They might have had this in mind when typing this guy, or maybe not, but it’s still really cool. Out of all 3 of the final evolutions, this is the one that I think has the most solid design.

Primarina - I love water type Pokemon, it’s probably my second favorite type in the game, and I’ve stated this before but Primarina is a really great design for a water Pokemon. Such an elegant and graceful creature, and I have to say it’s been a rough competition with him and Incineroar, since I saw the leaks back in June. I like the little bit in the description on the official page where it states how it uses its voice to make balloons of water. Shows that it was based more off a siren then a mermaid. I am happy we get to see fairy typing as a secondary on a starter. The hair still looks a little awkward to me, but it’s not too bad.

Incineroar - Be prepared for a long reaction here. So when I initially saw the leaks, I was not a fan of this guy. But now, I actually really like the design. Yes, if there was a quadruped option, I would still pick that over this, but seeing as there is not, then it looks like my starter is going to be Litten. I started liking him more, when I started seeing art of him. I started to think of him as a character, and gave him cool characteristics. This always helps me like something more. A few days ago, I read an article that told us how Cosmog was the Pokemon in Lillie’s bag, and the article also mentioned how when Machamp uses strength, it picks you up and cradles you while it moves whatever it needs to move with it’s other too hands. After hearing this, I imagined my Pokemon Trainer OC, a pokemon researcher, getting tired after a long day out in the field, and her dear Incineroar carrying her back to her campsite, much like she used to carry him back to camp when he was just a little Litten. It was after this, that I decided that Incineroar would be my pick. I’m not too fond how the arms start fat and then get skinny, but I can see they did that to make it look a little less like a fighting type. The only thing that still kinda confuses me is why they let Torracat be a quadruped. Now I don’t design Pokemon, but wouldn’t have been easier to make Torracat bipedal, like his final evolution? Who knows? Maybe they just couldn’t think of a way to make him bipedal.
_

Cosmog - Oh my gosh, this thing is adorable. Upon seeing this in the datamine, I didn’t think much of it, but after seeing it in the trailer (specifically the japanese one) I’ve fallen in love with the little guy. It is so cute! I really want one of my own!

Tapus - Tapu Bulu is kinda meh to me, but Tapu Lele is adorable and I think my favorite is Tapu Fini. I guess Tapu Fini is where are dolphin came from (though I still kinda wish we got an actual dolphin Pokemon, here’s hoping for next gen). I was kind of surprised to see that the Oricorios don’t have all the same final typings. It could have worked too, Tapu Bulu does look a little more like a fire-type with the red (look at me using color stereotypes), and the purple on Tapu Fini almost matches Oricorio Sensu style exactly, so it could have been a Ghost/Fairy type. Oh well, I’m not mad about the grass and water though, they’re cool tool. I don’t think I’ll be using any Tapus anyway.

Alolan Persian - I have to admit, after seeing it in game, and watching it move, I don’t hate it as much as I did. Probably goes just above the Alolan Geodude line. Still nothing special about it though.
__
I am really excited to see what we will be doing with the League. I don’t think they’ll do gyms, but who knows, they might. It would be really cool if they did. That spot in that city we saw in the demo is open for a building, so just maybe. I would be completely cool with just making an Elite 4 and champion though.

The Battle Tree looks quite interesting. I was really excited to see Cynthia and Wally, and yes I do see why they haven’t changed their designs much. Cynthia is an adult, so honestly she probably wouldn’t have gotten any prettier. I can see why they would keep Wally very similar, as they did just give him a redesign, and Wally is a sick kid. People who suffer from a long-term illness like that are more often than not on the lighter and smaller side, which makes them look a lot younger than they are.

I can not believe that we will be seeing Red and Blue again! I am so happy! I almost screamed when I saw them!!!! I’m so freaking hyped to battle them! Red has probably been one of my favorite battles, and Blue has always been one of my favorite gym leaders. I really like how they kept some of their personality, but changed it in a way too. Red and Blue were bitter rivals, and while I can imagine they still have competition between them, it seems like it would be much more friendly. Gosh and their new designs are cool too.

Geez that took a while to write. I’m going to put it in spoilers so it won’t take up the whole page. My brain did not let me sleep last night. I woke up at 1:00am this morning and did not go back to sleep. It kept telling me that there was going to be big news in the trailer and I was like “shut up brain its not, let me sleep” Well needless to say, my brain was right.

Owls that rescue souls from the underworld

Lions who devour the sun, which is made from iron and connected to alchemy

Fairy ringed mushrooms

Dragon Fruit based exeggutor

Oil consuming colorful Muk

The rats and mongoose history

Coconut Crabs

Game freak is doing a lot of research

The underworld thing is cool, but I was under the impression it was part Ghost because it's just so ridiculously good at stealth it pretty much is one.

IT's possible it could be for both reasons: Alolan Marowak enhanced it's senses and is connected to the night marchers of polynesian myth.

And the returning of Red and Blue for one more time and being able to battle them is a nice touch! :)

At the meantime, I'm starting to like Incineroar as well and the concept behind it. He is a wicked wrestler, not bad!!! Overall, no doubt that this is the best starter trio of all generations. Amazing type combinations, amazing signature moves and amazing concepts!!!!! It is the first time I want to start with all three starters if possible. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Best trailer so far. :) I am so excited.
The three starters actually turned out awesome. I am pretty surpriced. I was worried about all three, but they are really cool.
Red & Blue coming back is insane. I cannot wait to kick their asses

Oil consuming colorful Muk

Well, its sheen definitely resembles the look of oil on water, but its description on the site makes no mention of oil specifically being an influence. It just says that consuming Alolan garbage changed the composition of its body, but Grimer and Muk usually feed on filth anyway. Unless it's a reference to some piece of Hawaiian history that I haven't been able to find yet.

(Honestly, while I like Alolan Grimer/Muk, I am a little surprised that they didn't do something more with the idea that the Pokédex mentions, of them being formed from sludge that was exposed to the moon's X-rays. They even have a sort of counterpart in this regard, as Vanillite were formed from icicles that were exposed to energy from the morning sun.)

I'm still wondering if Cosmog has a connection somehow with Lunala. Many speculate that it is the pre-evolution but I'm not sure about it. Maybe it is a version exlusive pokemon (for Moon version) which can be used to encounter Lunala somehow.

Very strong trailer indeed. It will definately boost the hype and the sales of the games.

okay, so tapu lele is based on a butterfly

but she's based on a squid too right

I refuse to believe she isn't

nobody will take my squid waifu away from me

I'm still wondering if Cosmog has a connection somehow with Lunala. Many speculate that it is the pre-evolution but I'm not sure about it. Maybe it is a version exlusive pokemon (for Moon version) which can be used to encounter Lunala somehow.
I doubt it. If it were version-exclusive they would have shown both Cosmog and the trailer would have emphasized that.

Ok, I need Incineroar NOW! It looks so goofy, yet meancing at the same time and I absolutely love the design and personality of it. I also really like the other two starters (Decidueye being Grass / Ghost was a big shock), but I have to go with Litten. They other Tapus are really cool, and I can't wait to see what happens with the League being built. I could see it being like HGSS, where it is finished being built once your finish the main story, and in the post game, you battle the trial captains (who have become gym leaders) in any order you like, and then battle the Kahunas who have become the Elite Four, and then the champion.

Last edited:
Slightly disappointed that Rowlet loses it's Flying type but also glad that it loses it's 4x weakness to Ice. I too didn't see Grass/Ghost coming. Nice to see the other guardians again. At least we don't build the league ourselves which is a good thing. Battle Tree is neat although Red and the others have the exact same teams as before.

So time for Arylett's Thoughts on this whole matter. Though honestly, as I've been following the leaks, I already saw most of this coming. Still!
  • Primarina, I have been waiting for your official reveal for what feels like forever and I am immensely pleased. I don't like that name so much, but who cares? The design is my absolute favorite in all of Alola thus far. So beautiful, so unique. And the animations are absolutely precious. Yes, I'm definitely choosing Popplio. The others cannot compare to this feminine beauty.

• Decidueye... I feel like for this generation, Game Freak's just sort of plastering weird types for the sake of shock value. (Electric/Psychic Raichu because pancakes) The Ghost subtype only marginally makes sense, but it has no hints in the evolutionary line whatsoever, and does feel rather tacked on. I feel Dark-typing would make more sense here, but they didn't want to infringe on Incineroar. It has a nice design though. Far more improved from Rowlet and Dartrix.

• And then there's the infamous Incineroar... I still don't like it. Yeah, you can say it's a Fire/Dark all you want, but it still has that beefy appearance of a Fire/Fighting. Not only that, but the website states it as the "Heel" Pokemon. It's a wrestler! Might as well be a FIghting-type design-wise. Emboar 2 is the way I see it. At least its artwork and motions add a little charisma to it. I don't care if it's bipedal or not, to be honest. But at least give us a different type of design. (At least its shiny is super awesome though and kind of changes my opinion of it. Also, its description makes it sound somewhat endearing)

• The Island Guardians have neat designs, though my least favorite is Tapu Bulu. Although after reading its description, which states that it uses trees as clubs to defend itself against intruders, makes it seem far more endearing. It also seems to be the most personable of the Tapus. Tapu Fini kind of looks like an inferior version of Primarina. More mermaids? I still like its weird horned shell around it though and its listless attitude and mist sound interesting. My favorite is definitely Tapu Lele though. Such a nice color scheme with a pretty feminine design, and it's Psychic-type! Although I find its description to be slightly disturbing. It innocently spreads these healing scales on everyone for its own enjoyment, but too many of these overwhelm the body and hurt people. I like how the Tapus have negative aspects to their personalities, helping to give them a mischievous Fairy feel more like old-fashioned fairy tales.

• Alolan Persian... well, even its description makes it unlikeable. Honestly, I don't think I need to say why I dislike it. I feel... that such sentiments have been thoroughly covered already elsewhere. The best part of its design is the blue gem, providing a nice contrast to normal Persian, and that's about it.

• Interesting how Red and Blue are back. I might have just viewed this as more Gen I pandering, but I do like the fact that they've actually aged. Something improbable for a series like Pokemon. It's a nice touch to show that a former player character can actually be an adult instead of just staying 11 years old forever. Although Blue has apparently aged more gracefully, as I can't tell much of a difference with him.

Last edited:
I honestly wasn't expecting them to reveal the starter's final evos already, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that.

So the starters --
Primarina -- Prima/Ballerina I'm guessing. Reaction: My sophisticated, elegant water baby!!!!
Decidueye -- Deciduous/Eye I'm guessing. Reaction: Grass/Ghost? Okay, cool! I've never cared much for ghost pokies, but now I'm finally going to have one on one of my teams! I'll have to pester my niece for a Rowlet baby to raise, lol :D
Incineroar -- Incinerate/Roar I'm guessing. Reaction: no

That morpho-monstrosity Z-move for the Tapus -- Holy crap and a half....
Also, after reading the blurb for Tapu-Bulu, it reminded me a little of the children's story Ferdinand the Bull who just wanted to sit under the tree and not fight anyone. (I seem to recall, though, that he was stung by a (Ribom)bee at some point.) *coughs*

Pokémon League: After reading through the blurb on the PokeSuMo site, it doesn't actually state that we will have a hand in creating the league. It just says there are plans to construct one, and after all our growth from completing the Island Trials will we find ourselves challenging the league to become the strongest trainer. So I don't know if we'll actually have any part in building the league or not at this point.
I'm hoping against hope that the league challenge will not be the usual plow-through-the-elite-four-then-curb-stomp-the-champion deal. I'd really like to see the league challenge be at least partially reflective of the quest-themed nature of the Island Trials. In other words, complete a "League Trial" first, then meet the Elite Four member in battle. I'm okay with excluding this concept for the Champion, though. Just a straight up champion battle would be okay, I think.

I was very shocked to see that we will have the opportunity to face off against an older Red and Green(Blue). Goodness, those young men are growing up and aging rather nicely, aren't they? My reaction to Green making the in-game joke about Red still being as silent as ever: Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

All of the videos so far have been really good. I have enjoyed every one of them and the information they have chosen to reveal to us. Here's hoping we get at least one more good video showing us a little more information yet before the game actually comes out.

~~~~~~~~~

I really want to make a sarcastic comment about how it doesn't seem to be a problem to age Red in the games but boy howdy if we age Ash/Satoshi, even a tiny bit, in the anime it will bring the apocalypse down on our heads. But I should probably refrain from doing that so.....yeah......

Last edited:
I wonder if this league forming thing might come to play with Ash.

Several people did suggest that as a theory pre Alain after all.

my depression regarding squid girl possibly not being a squid at all aside

incineroar's animations make me like it a lot more. I started out hating it, grew to not mind it much, and nyow I'd have to say that I just blatantly like it. It can join emboar in the "fire starters that don't suck balls" club. But the most important thing is that I was right to not doubt fire/dark.

though I was right about that, decidueye's typing caught me completely off guard. Was expecting grass/flying, maybe grass/dark or grass/fighting. I don't entirely get why it's a ghost-type, but whatever, ghost-types are awesome so it just makes me like it even more. I hope spirit shackle has a high BP to make up for it not getting STAB brave bird like I thought it would.

my opinions regarding primarina haven't really changed, but it's still my favorite of the three. Its signature move is pretty disappointing tho.

glad to see blue back. And his theme is even better than ever

Primarina ..... Also its signature move kinda sucks, why would you wanna heal your opponent's burns?

The official blurb about Primarina on the PokeSuMo site states: Sparkling Aria is a Water-type special move that only Primarina can learn, and it heals the burns of any target it strikes.

I can only make a guess about this being a move that would really only have some value if you're in a double battle. If the opponent pokemon burns Prima's battle partner, it could use the move to heal them. I agree that I don't really see how this would have any kind of real value if you're engaged in a single battle. Although maybe someone with a lot more experience than me in competitive battling could think of something?

Actually I think it's Prima Donna (referring to its singing) and marine (since it's a mermaid).

Oh, the singing part of its nature. Yeah, that makes more sense than what I thought it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom