• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

^ So previously you could only pet your Pokemon, but now using Pokemon Refresh you can actually brush and clean them if they get dirty during a battle! That's really awesome, and adds another level of verisimilitude to the games.

Okay, so completing the trials is tied to the z-ring and the z-crystals, nice to see that confirmed.
Makes me wonder about the other 10 type crystals, considering only 7 trials are in-game. Maybe there are 10 Totem Pokemon not tied to trials? That would be a fun diversion compared to the mega stones found in the overworld.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see the Wishiwashi battle confirmed as a Totem fight, there's been a few people unsure whether it was/wasn't.

Why are people saying that the third Train On! confirms a Kanto revisit? It doesn't.

Because the Japanese kid went back to the Kanto region of Japan (the city is Tokyo?), however, you're right, this confirms exactly... nothing.

If we actually get Kanto though... I don't know how I'll feel about it. I'm quite stuffed with gen I already, I don't think I'll like being force-fed even more. :sick:

I guess I wouldn't complain much about the addition of an entire other region in the postgame, even though Kanto is by far my least favorite region (and also is the least natural of all of the regions, so maybe it'd at least get a fairly extensive redesign if its featured again? Because otherwise it'll clash really noticably with how natural and un-gridlike Alola is looking to be, and will disrupt Gamefreak's goal of creating a world that feels real and lived-in.)

Because the Japanese kid went back to the Kanto region of Japan (the city is Tokyo?), however, you're right, this confirms exactly... nothing.

It doesn't confirm anything, but it is very suggestive, given that the Train On trailers have recreated points of information from the games in both previous installments. The first one has a kid from Japan moving to Hawaii and befriending a Hawaiian kid (just like how the player character moves to Alola from Kanto and befriends Hau), and the second one reflects the parallel worlds aspect of the 12-hour time difference between the games. The third one even features a "true" rival for Shohei in the form of an edgy white teenager with blond hair and a Silvally. So I don't think it's terribly unlikely that Shohei moving back to Japan in the trailer is somehow rooted in something that happens in the games, or is planned to happen.

We've been over this in the Kanto/Johto sequel thread, but it has to be questioned besides obvious 20th Anniversary ties if they finally gave us an Adult protagonist/rival duo just for some fan service, Pokemon is not the series to go down that road without rhyme or reason. The only times age progression in character design has been done was for HGSS, a direct sequel, and BW, with Caitlin as a faint allusion to the time skip between Gen 4 and 5. Even Sina and Dexio isn't as important as they were close enough to the character mold for adults in XY that their SM incarnations aren't in the same caliber.

Okay, so completing the trials is tied to the z-ring and the z-crystals, nice to see that confirmed.
Makes me wonder about the other 10 type crystals, considering only 7 trials are in-game. Maybe there are 10 Totem Pokemon not tied to trials? That would be a fun diversion compared to the mega stones found in the overworld.
I think that post-game Totem Pokémon wouldn't be that far of a stretch. After all, I don't think that the Battle Tree is in the demo, so the post-game stuff like extra Totem Pokémon could very well be possible.

So I guess the school form Wishiwashi is huge enough so they didn't make a totem model. For the Z-crystal, let's assume that the Kahuna are also giving them out, then that's 11 Z-crystals. 7 more we might have to obtain through other mean. Random battle, NPC, evil teams???

It does strengthen the possibility of a Kanto revisit in these games, but I am doubting it until it's officially confirmed (if it ever is).

We are not going back to Kanto. That region has been overdone. SM is strictly a one region game and no first pair of games in a gen ever gets two regions apart from gen 2 games.

How do you know? The games haven't even been released.

Once again, since these games are breaking tradition as it is, going to Kalos or any other region can very easily happen.
I think GF said they weren't doing another two region game again. Even if I am wrong on that, the chances of the very first games of SM having another region is very, very low.

Going back to Kanto wouldn't make sense. The whole point of Alola Forms is that that some Kanto Pokémon have cool shiny new forms, but if you don't like them and want to use the originals you have to buy Red/Blue/Yellow.

I'm interrupting this Kanto discussion to say:

ytytryt.png

Look at this precious little fluff ball.

Going back to Kanto wouldn't make sense. The whole point of Alola Forms is that that some Kanto Pokémon have cool shiny new forms, but if you don't like them and want to use the originals you have to buy Red/Blue/Yellow.

I agree that it wouldn't make much sense to put Kanto in SM.

I could, however, see the next Gen VII games being set in Kanto.

The Japanese trailers aren't even trying to hide the fact that Cosmog is related to Lillie, in many of the shots it is shown together with her.

Back
Top Bottom