• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

I agree that it wouldn't make much sense to put Kanto in SM.

I could, however, see the next Gen VII games being set in Kanto.
I could see Game Freak trying to pull another pair of games: one game in Kanto, and the other game in Johto. They'd be considered a pair because both games will get a Sevii Island post-game.

We didn't get a date for the next batch of news aside from corocoro. Guess there is not much to be reveal but might be wrong.

I really hope there is going to be an English version of that first new trailer that @Soki posted. I really want to know --

what on earth that really fast move is that Popplio is using at 2:30. Surely that cannot be Extreme Speed?

Comsog is the best idea they have had in ages, I love the idea of a small little puff ball that will eventually become a badass.

Datamined Spoiler
I can't wait to evolve Cosmog into that space cocoon, and put an everstone on it.. (But I think the game will force us to evolve cosmog to a legend)

I highly doubt Kanto will be included, but unlike some people, I won't complain if a Kanto revisit ends up happening in these games.

If we are gonna get a 2nd region post-game I'd rather it be Kalos, but I won't complain if it's Kanto because any 2nd region will make for a substantial post-game & we haven't seen Kanto on the 3DS yet. Still don't think we'll be leaving Alola though.

but unlike some people, I won't complain if a Kanto revisit ends up happening in these games.
I mean, I won't complain unless Kanto is the same bland white bread region it was in the past. They need to spice that region up with something. The towns pretty much all feel the same, and unlike other regions it feels like it has no past. Heck, the only NPC who ever even mentioned the legendary pokemon of the region was a random Bird Catcher NPC near Fuschia who refers to the legendary birds in dialogue before and after battle. It doesn't really feel alive or connected to me.

I'm fine with going back to it if they decided to make it more like the other regions. Heck, one generation later and Johto felt more alive than Kanto ever was.

I mean, I won't complain unless Kanto is the same bland white bread region it was in the past. They need to spice that region up with something. The towns pretty much all feel the same, and unlike other regions it feels like it has no past. Heck, the only NPC who ever even mentioned the legendary pokemon of the region was a random Bird Catcher NPC near Fuschia who refers to the legendary birds in dialogue before and after battle. It doesn't really feel alive or connected to me.
Agreed.

If there is indeed a return to Kanto, I hope the region has been heavily revamped, because as you said, it is INCREDIBLY bland.

Nothing can fix Kanto in my opinion. Either we getting games set in Alola again or Sinnoh remakes.

There's a lot that could fix Kanto in my opinion. Get rid of a lot of the places we need to use cut. Make a better road between Pewter and Cerulean City. Make the gym leaders feel like they're actually a part of the community besides living in a certain town. Give the region some history and backstory (and not just the giant pokemon tower that was the gravesite for many pokemon only to be tore down and turned into a freaking radio tower in the second game).

For example off the top of my head some ways to breathe life into the towns:
Pallet: Make it a little bigger (Since any new games in Kanto should NOT be remakes) and maybe have people talk about Red/Leaf and Green being famous trainers from there. Maybe you can see them there at certain times.
Viridian: Make it have a few more trainers around, not to battle but trainers who have already beaten enough gym leaders to face the elite four. It's right next to the area, after all. This would give a good reason for the Trainer House existing there. It's a place for trainers powerful enough to test their skill against the elite four to battle each other.
Pewter: Have the citizens a bit more interested in the mountain range it's settled into. Maybe have the museum also include an archaeological dig site where you can eventually get one of the two regional fossils. Also, update the look so it actually looks like a town "nestled between rugged mountains and rocks". It doesn't look very rocky and the mountains around it certainly aren't rugged.
Cerulean: Pretty okay with the addition of the routes and Bill's house to the north. Maybe have that river's route changed a bit so it runs through the town a bit before getting to where Cerulean Cave is. I'd also like to hear the townspeople mention the fact there is a cave full of Pokemon that are so powerful they have to keep it blocked off from most trainers.
Vermilion: Retcon the radio tower to be here if we have to have one. There's a giant area of space that literally doesn't get used at all. Give the town a bit more of an electricity boon since this is where the Electric Gym Leader chose to be. It has a decent amount of things to it already like the Pokemon Fan Club and the Pier. Perhaps have the townsfolk acknowledge their gym leader is probably a soldier suffering some kind of PTSD since he goes so far as to not only block entrance to his gym without Cut or surf, but has the most obnoxious luck-based 'puzzle' to even get to him. BONUS learning about that war he mentioned and can get some Kanto history!
Lavender: Give the pokemon tower back. There is no reason to destroy a tomb to put up a radio tower. And since it has such an old structure (in my opinion) in it, I would argue Lavender Town could be one of the oldest Kanto settlements. More Kanto history to be discussed. Maybe an NPC mentions Fuji's involvement with the Mewtwo Project (if such a thing exists) during a plot point? Since Lavender town is one of the smaller towns perhaps this could be the starting point of a new game/sequel.
Celadon: It has a hotel. This means it could be the location where the player meets trainers from other regions coming to visit Kanto. On top of that, it had the game corner. If we can't have that, why not make this into other mini-game like options. Celadon needs SOMETHING in it to give it the excuse to have the Department Store in it, when Saffron is obviously the biggest city with the most traffic. Another thing that could be mentioned... while having the pretty, atmosphere and the natural grassy gym, Celadon is a polluted city, what with the ability to catch Grimer, Muk, and (in FR/LG) Koffing in its waters. Maybe make it a plot point that Team Rocket (revived by whomever) has been causing this for whatever reason?
Fuchsia: Bring back the Safari Zone. The REAL Safari Zone. Make the Zoo a little more interesting and less like a prison for pokemon trapped in grossly small spaces. Perhaps make it a side area where a pokemon in your party can follow you? Also, perhaps make Fuchsia an older city with a Ninja-type feel to it which would help explain their gym leaders. This could also lead to lore about Pokemon Ninjas in Kanto's history.
Saffron: This is the biggest city in Kanto. Perhaps there could be a trainer school here (if we start in Lavender Town, this could be the second town- but not necessarily the first gym). Copycat, by this time, would be grown up and perhaps runs her own special place selling merchandise to decorate the player's room at home, or perhaps a secret base like system. There are technically two Gyms in this City. Perhaps during a story event one could make a decision that would change which Gym is the gym you end up challenging? At the very least make it story relevant that this is the only town to have two gym buildings. Give them a rivalry. Something. Perhaps the fighting type gym's new leader got a Pangoro or Scraggy/Scrafty and is thinking about taking the title back? This could also be the location for Festival Plaza type events, maybe?
Cinnabar: Plenty of time has gone by for the town to have been rebuilt. Perhaps it's bigger now with more land space thanks to the old eruption. A new gym could have been built up top with a new younger leader standing to keep watch over it in case of any more eruptions. Perhaps Moltres now lives here as a guardian and is respected as such. What with it being able to heal itself in magma in one of its pokedex entries. Being an island could give it the ability to be the local host of a Poke Pelago type space.

Not even that can fix Kanto. Let's not go back to that region any time soon. Let's enjoy Alola which is clearly superior.

Oh I'm not arguing that Alola isn't better obviously, All the regions are better than Kanto. I just gave some reasons as to how I, and probably others, feel the region could have a breath of new life given to it. A sequel set in the future makes for plenty of ways an old region could become new. Especially if we go with the idea ORAS created of different universes that are slightly different. Could be a Kanto that grew in a much more interesting way. In fact we could even do a reverse gold and silver and have the player go to Johto after beating the elite four!

n fact we could even do a reverse gold and silver and have the player go to Johto after beating the elite four!
I'd really enjoy it if that was the case. They should have done it in FRLG in my opinion.

yeah, but they wanted to focus on kanto remake, the reverse thing, is kind of weird, because kanto was introduced first before johto, johto and kanto do link together, don't you think it'll spoil the surprise of johto if it's reversed
A lot of the fans that bought FRLG probably already knew of the Kanto-Johto connection, so there's really no reason to treat Johto as a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom