• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

Ninja-Mage

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say customizing our trainers is finally coming. My reasoning are a few and ill list them off as so. (Mind you I'm on a iPad so I won't go to in depth quite yet).

1. The trainers shown look just a tad generic
2. Did you notice how the trainer was looking in a mirror? Often times character creators use this setting for the creation set up. The "getting dressed approach".
3. There were no official images of the trainers to be found in the trailer, as I recall all the past trailers always introduced who you're playing.

I know it sounds like I'm grasping at straws and yes I am. But that's the fun of speculation! Ill post more thoughts I have when I can use a key board. But please discuss!

I had the exact same thoughts, if I'm honest. The trainers were not particularly outstanding or very different, and I did think of the customisation thing because of the 'looking in the mirror' featured in the trailer. Additionally, the whole concept is definitely more feasible now that everything is going to be 3D, and the player character is going to be more developed in terms of graphics (customisation with those tiny sprites was never going to happen), so I don't see why it wouldn't happen. :>

I had the exact same thoughts, if I'm honest. The trainers were not particularly outstanding or very different, and I did think of the customisation thing because of the 'looking in the mirror' featured in the trailer. Additionally, the whole concept is definitely more feasible now that everything is going to be 3D, and the player character is going to be more developed in terms of graphics (customisation with those tiny sprites was never going to happen), so I don't see why it wouldn't happen. :>

At the very least I think we'll be able to customize outfits through out the game. The whole goggle thing is too digimon for me lol

Its a nice feature I definately want to see. Player characters are nice, but i want to see mine be a little more like myself at least.I think they should let you customise hair color, eye color, and clothing or possibly the color of the clothing. Those would all let player really play as themselves to an extent, it would enhance the gameplay and I think people would enjoy the game more.

Customizations are fine and all - but they should be limited to clothing and accessories. If they enabled skin color as part of customizing, there will be one heck of an uproar on that about skin color issues and the like.

Well, maybe hairstyles could be acceptable as well

Customizations are fine and all - but they should be limited to clothing and accessories. If they enabled skin color as part of customizing, there will be one heck of an uproar on that about skin color issues and the like.

Why would skin color be an issue? If anything it should be a bigger issue if they don't allow customization of that lol

Why would skin color be an issue? If anything it should be a bigger issue if they don't allow customization of that lol
No one wants another Jynx and Lenora incident.

Wouldn't not allowing skin color change also be a tad controversial? Even more than Lenora and Jynx? It would be like saying everyone is white. That, and I know France has a high immigration rate, so it's not like it will look out of place. (Although they don't really want the inmigrants.)

That being said, I don't mind if we don't get to pick the skin color, even if I am not white. I'm just ecstatic because it looks possible. It would be a waste to have a France-based region but no fashion stuff, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
The character design itself looks really "Vannila" to me, so it seems that we might get some customizations options.

Trainer customization is something I would really like to see in XY, even if it's just really basic customization like hair/skin/clothing color. It would be a start, so that's good enough for me.

I'm sure they're gonna allow trainer customization this time around. Partly because it gives them a chance to utilize DLC without locking Pokemon to DLC only and pissing people off.

Dragon Quest IX had this functionality, and you can tell that Game Freak took gameplay elements from it (the art style is incredibly similar, and everyone and their grandmother plays DQ in Japan).

doubt we'll see skin/eye color... the PC is a charcter so changing skin colar makes no sense

Trainer Customization? I'd be all for it! (Actually hoped for it) Esp. since that PC is a tad too generic for my liking.

It's definitely a great idea, but I've always liked the player characters as they were.

I can't wait to see the player character artworks. A blonde female player character will be a first, too. All previous have been black/brown or blue (Krys).

The day I can make my trainer black will be a great day. Too bad it'll never happen.

Oh well, tiny customization is okay too.

I so much want customization (those shades suck digletts)! Buying clothes at Dept. Store or receiving them from NPCs for completing various sidequests and even getting rare ones as DLC. That would be some kind of reward for doing certain not-so-import ant things like seals were back to 4th gen (not those mediocre Ethers and Berries for completing Habitats or showing certain PKMNs in BW2). Though I highly doubt that Game Freak will treat us with this option. They remind me of Apple: leaving for the future some feature they can implement now just so the next game won't be "featureless". Idk, I just confused

Back
Top Bottom