• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

Has it been mentioned here that the games are apparently getting Miiverse features? I could have sworn there was a rumour a while back saying we'd have customizable trainers via Miiverse avatars or something.
I'm hoping to get a character and be able to customize it, but a Mii would do just fine. Maybe the character in the trailer is a prototype or something. We won't know until official artwork is announced. If it is, we have it set. If it isn't, then we'll probably either be able to customize the player or get a Mii for the character. I would like a customizable player character better than the Mii, though.

Yea, I really hope we get good customization, but not Miis. I do not like Miis at all, they just don't look good, especially when they aren't in a Mii game. I want good customization options, with a decent variety of options, including all natural colors of eyes and hair (and also maybe some non-natural colors). Also clothes would be good to change, at least a little bit maybe. But skin tone, hair style and color, face shape/type, eye color and shape, facial features, etc. are very welcome to me. Nothing wrong with some customization on a silent character that you play as. It won't turn into Sims or Animal Crossing like the opposition says.

Although I do agree with @Poko907; on the point of the face features and such. All facial and bodily features should be permanent after choosing them in the beginning with only hair and a few clothes options being changeable later on.

Guys.

In don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but look back at the trailer.

The male character is wearing sunglasses.

But in the scene where he swings on the rope in the trees, where are they...?

This either means Trainer customization, or that clip was taken at a different point of development in the games and the lack of glasses was a beta idea.

Guys.

In don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but look back at the trailer.

The male character is wearing sunglasses.

But in the scene where he swings on the rope in the trees, where are they...?

This either means Trainer customization, or that clip was taken at a different point of development in the games and the lack of glasses was a beta idea.

yah we've done that one to death. Actually the glasses are there, they fell off him when he was swinging and if you look closely behind him you'll see the glasses. But the fact that the glasses fall off are a point in customizations favor. As if they fall of it means it's an individual texture. If they were part of the character they should be part of the characters full model.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say customizing our trainers is finally coming. My reasoning are a few and ill list them off as so. (Mind you I'm on a iPad so I won't go to in depth quite yet).

1. The trainers shown look just a tad generic
2. Did you notice how the trainer was looking in a mirror? Often times character creators use this setting for the creation set up. The "getting dressed approach".
3. There were no official images of the trainers to be found in the trailer, as I recall all the past trailers always introduced who you're playing.

I know it sounds like I'm grasping at straws and yes I am. But that's the fun of speculation! Ill post more thoughts I have when I can use a key board. But please discuss!
i agree soo much i hope this is true

I think there will be, and in the trailer it shows the set protagonist. This would be a very nice feature, but they'd have to make it really nice, like you can go and buy cloth's from a store somewhere, and you start with tons of options, then if they do this, the opening for multilayer you would be able to toggle with through several options, to make it feel like your on this journey a bit more, maybe your rival should make fun of your cloth's and be mean, no matter how epic you look :)

Last edited:
In the Iwata Asks from GameFreak's HarmoKnight, there's a design document for that game drawn by Turner mentioning items you could buy to customize your player's appearance, yet in the actual game, this feature is nowhere to be found, I'm guessing it was dropped due to time constraints.

It made me wonder if perhaps they took that idea and applied it to XY.

I really don't know why we can't have customization. In this day and age, with all the other games that features customization, it doesn't make sense a game like Pokemon is missing it. It's an RPG meant to be your journey. Why can't we personalize it? Heck, make it so we can unlock customizables a la TF2 throughout the game. I'd go for that. Maybe even allow decals for our pokemon like the seals from Gen IV, but make them permanent. All this would make pokemon fun and customizable.

In the Iwata Asks from GameFreak's HarmoKnight, there's a design document for that game drawn by Turner mentioning items you could buy to customize your player's appearance, yet in the actual game, this feature is nowhere to be found, I'm guessing it was dropped due to time constraints.

It made me wonder if perhaps they took that idea and applied it to XY.

At the very least, it crossed their mind.

well, it may add more complications. for example, your mother figure; wouldn't it be weird if you had dark skin but for her to be pale? or if you had curly purple hair while her's was blonde and straight? im just sayin'.

well, it may add more complications. for example, your mother figure; wouldn't it be weird if you had dark skin but for her to be pale? or if you had curly purple hair while her's was blonde and straight? im just sayin'.

Is the parent even necessary? The father has only ever appeared once in the series. How I'd start it is you were sent from another region to study Pokemon under the professor of this region who was a personal friend of your parents. Thus no parent necessary. You could get letters sent from your parents if there really is a true need for some parental support on your journey.

But another way is there would be preset characters for the parents based on skin color choices. If you have curly hair you'll just have to pretend your never home father passed that down to you.

That's why there would be a default (hence, canon version of the) protagonist. Or, given that we always see only one of our parents, it can be handwaved by saying that you resemble the parent we don't get to see.

Has it been mentioned here that the games are apparently getting Miiverse features? I could have sworn there was a rumour a while back saying we'd have customizable trainers via Miiverse avatars or something.
I'm hoping to get a character and be able to customize it, but a Mii would do just fine. Maybe the character in the trailer is a prototype or something. We won't know until official artwork is announced. If it is, we have it set. If it isn't, then we'll probably either be able to customize the player or get a Mii for the character. I would like a customizable player character better than the Mii, though.

Yea, I really hope we get good customization, but not Miis. I do not like Miis at all, they just don't look good, especially when they aren't in a Mii game. I want good customization options, with a decent variety of options, including all natural colors of eyes and hair (and also maybe some non-natural colors). Also clothes would be good to change, at least a little bit maybe. But skin tone, hair style and color, face shape/type, eye color and shape, facial features, etc. are very welcome to me. Nothing wrong with some customization on a silent character that you play as. It won't turn into Sims or Animal Crossing like the opposition says.

Although I do agree with @Poko907; on the point of the face features and such. All facial and bodily features should be permanent after choosing them in the beginning with only hair and a few clothes options being changeable later on.
What about contacts?
I'm pretty sure surgery or radiation is a bit too extreme, but contacts could work. Contacts are pretty unlikely, but it's a possibility. Then again, read my signature.

EDIT: Specifically, the third line.

Last edited:
I, like many people, am really hoping for full character customisation. I would love to be able to customise everything, eye colour, hair style/colour, skin colour (By the way, I think skin colour should be customisable and would think it would cause a bigger controversy only having white coloured skin instead of all), and we can get different hats and clothing. They could even have more available clothing to purchase at the shopping mall.

I saw someone post that customising won't work because it would be weird to have a player look completely different to their mothers. In some games they looked different anyway. I don't think it will matter too much having your player look different from the mother.

Now that Pokemon X and Y is all in 3D and you have complete 3D model characters instead of sprites, this generation would be the perfect start for customisable characters. it makes sense to hold out on character customisation until the games have reached the point they have now reached.

I'm probably the only one, but I really don't care one way or the other about customization: if we get it, that's cool. If not, I won't be too surprised.

I do feel, though, that the male character in the trailer did look way too similar to Nate and Hilbert, while the girl looks very unique from others. But since this is early game footage, it is likely to change from now until the game comes out. And it's also because of that that I don't find: male character has glasses in one scene, now he doesn't have them in another one, as a real hint towards customization.

I know this is highly unlikely, but who's to say that the player character isn't adopted. I mean, have the chacters and their parents ever acctually been confirmed as being blood related.

I know this is highly unlikely, but who's to say that the player character isn't adopted. I mean, have the chacters and their parents ever acctually been confirmed as being blood related.
Or the character could take their look from their dad. There hasn't been a dad in any Pokemon main series game except for Hoenn, when he was a gym leader, so GF might as well put that absence to use as an excuse.
I'm probably the only one, but I really don't care one way or the other about customization: if we get it, that's cool. If not, I won't be too surprised.

I do feel, though, that the male character in the trailer did look way too similar to Nate and Hilbert, while the girl looks very unique from others. But since this is early game footage, it is likely to change from now until the game comes out. And it's also because of that that I don't find: male character has glasses in one scene, now he doesn't have them in another one, as a real hint towards customization.
That was actually just a glitch, but it's still a clue because this means the glasses aren't attached to the sprite.

That was actually just a glitch, but it's still a clue because this means the glasses aren't attached to the sprite.
How do you know that?

(Sorry--I'm too lazy to look through the previous 22 pages.)

Or the character could take their look from their dad. There hasn't been a dad in any Pokemon main series game except for Hoenn, when he was a gym leader, so GF might as well put that absence to use as an excuse.

Are you sure? It just seems like they kind of forgot about them. I don't want to straight up say they forgot, but being that this was the first trailer, I wouldn't want to jump to customization being the reason for them disappearing.

How do you know that?

(Sorry--I'm too lazy to look through the previous 22 pages.)
Because if you pause the video, the glasses are just floating there on the other side.
The glasses are too wimpy to use a rope.

Are you sure? It just seems like they kind of forgot about them. I don't want to straight up say they forgot, but being that this was the first trailer, I wouldn't want to jump to customization being the reason for them disappearing.
I can't think of a lot of other reasons, but maybe they can be taken off because the glasses are really high tech devices? IDK

See, I do agree with this. This kind of thing ends up happening in customizable player character games that have the character with family. In Dragon Age 2 I tried to play as a dark skinned character but the moment I saw my fair skinned family I thought, "...Well dang, I'm obviously the milkman's kid."

If there is a customizable option I would like to play someone who isn't light skinned for once, but still for all the reasons I like it I don't.

Back
Top Bottom