• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

Are the trench coats listed as a shirt or dress? I don't know why Game Freak thinks guys wouldn't want a trench coat.

Like, we have an entire sub-plot with Looker. I wanted to make my character look like a stereotypical detective whenever I go on those missions.....instead I'll just buy really nice clothes and pretend I'm one of those people from CSI.

From what I can find, I think they're listed as dresses. :/

I wish they had hoodies/sweatshirts. My character would look much more accurate that way xD Otherwise, though, I have finally completed my ultimate transformation. I am now the most attractive being in the Pokéverse.

Hmmm? I've bought three hoodies so far--maybe they haven't popped up in your stores yet? I'm also playing as the male character if that means anything, so it might be gender-exclusive.

And if they are gender-exclusive, this leads me to ask--just... why?!?!

And why is it that when I enter Lumiose' boutique, everything is unique for the girl, but Lumiose is selling me the same pants twice? And what's with all the other shops and the repeats, its annoying. I don't need you to sell me the same red shoes three times.

Trust me, this is not a problem exclusively for boys. The same problem happens for girls as well.

I think it's a matter of there being few objects that each store has to sell, so you'll see repeats in no time.

Getting 'more stylish' means that the animation that plays when you change your outfit is different. I believe the highest level is musical notes, with a little stint of piano music. Basically, the game is calling you classy, and you get that by putting on several black tag items.

Also, they're not just 'unlocked.' You NEED to be wearing the classy clothes when you hit the salon, not just have changed into them and then changed into something less classy. The salon lady will state a different dialogue when you enter, remarking about how amazing outfit is.

Getting 'more stylish' means that the animation that plays when you change your outfit is different. I believe the highest level is musical notes, with a little stint of piano music. Basically, the game is calling you classy, and you get that by putting on several black tag items.

Also, they're not just 'unlocked.' You NEED to be wearing the classy clothes when you hit the salon, not just have changed into them and then changed into something less classy. The salon lady will state a different dialogue when you enter, remarking about how amazing outfit is.

I'm not sure the actual clothes you wear affect your Lumiose stylishness. I just went to talk to that old man about buying a Blastoisinite, just to be sure--once while wearing mostly black tags, and another time by wearing mostly blue tags. (My assumption is that socks and accessories can only be found in light brown tags, since I haven't found them in different tag colors yet. But other than those two my tags were either all black or all blue.) Both times he offered me the Mega Stone for 50K. And yesterday he offered it to me for 70K when I was wearing mostly black-tag clothing, as well (which is significant because today he offered it to me for 50K while I was wearing mostly blue tags). I did the same thing going to Coiffure Clips, and both times I was offered only four hair styles (very short, short, medium, and medium perm).

I have, however, been doing the tasks listed in that image @The Outrage linked to a few posts ago, and those seem to be working--it wasn't until Alexa gave me a few tours of Lumiose that I had access to Boutique Couture.

You are right in saying that get a different animation when you change your clothes, though, depending on the tag--the blue tags have an electric/flashy light animation, the red/orange tags have a rainbow dots animation, and the black tags have the musical notes animation as you mentioned. But from what I can tell, the only time your clothes affect game play is when you talk to that Artist in Kiloude City who's looking for inspiration--wearing a mostly red/orange-tag outfit gives her the inspiration that she needs, and in return she gives you the Bamboo Sprig Hat (aka the Pangoro Hat).

Yeah, wearing specific clothes doesn't affect your chance of getting into the Boutique, it has to do with doing tasks around Lumiose.

So did they lie to us in the trailers, or can you actually dye your hair purple and other unnatural colors? Because i wanted red hair, not orange.

I entered the salon with the same bad outfit they rejected. You have to complete certain tasks to get in.

It does bother how sexist the character customization is. :/ No fucking sleeveless shirt for the boy character? Are you freakin' kidding me, Game Freak?! Mother of god, this is the year 2013! I am so angry I want to put down Pokemon Y and never touch it again. I was promised customization, not this bullshit gender-restricted, only-girls-get-to-dress-sexy sexist bastards, AUGH. This had better be fixed in Pokemon Z.

It does bother how sexist the character customization is. :/ No fucking sleeveless shirt for the boy character? Are you freakin' kidding me, Game Freak?! Mother of god, this is the year 2013! I am so angry I want to put down Pokemon Y and never touch it again. I was promised customization, not this bullshit gender-restricted, only-girls-get-to-dress-sexy sexist bastards, AUGH. This had better be fixed in Pokemon Z.

Or DLC packages. Seriously, features like this just screams of DLC potential. I really hope it doesn't simply expand in whatever next game they make, because that feels and is so 10-years-ago.

Indeed. I never had any issues with DLC, so I would gladly throw more money at Game Freak if they can fix this problem. "OTL Just one sleeveless shirt at the very least for boy characters, that's all I ask, Game Freak. I won't even ask for shorts to go with it, just a sleeveless shirt would be more than enough.

Are there more characters like the artist in Kiloude city? I just got a really adorable dress from her and now I'm wondering if there are more dress-up related quests/rewards!

I entered the salon with the same bad outfit they rejected. You have to complete certain tasks to get in.

All I ever did was make my own PR video, and battle one restaurant. I customised my trainer, and was rejected. The next thing I did was wait until I had enough cash, then wear several black tag items, and I was given extra hair styles at the salon. I was even able to enter the boutique in Lumiose before I could customise my hair.

Someone asked why they didn't get new hair styles when they should have right away. The unique dialogue I always get seems to be tied to my outfit, so I offered a solution unique to the salon. :/

I wouldn't call it 'sexist' because the outfits male characters can wear don't match your own perceived idea of what 'sexy' is.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call it 'sexist' because the outfits male characters can wear don't match your own perceived idea of what 'sexy' is.

Maybe not, but I still find it so. It's not fair only girl characters get to go sleeveless. It happens ALL the time in every single generation of Pokemon. Female characters, 90% of the time, are deliberately less-dressed than their male counterparts. Compare Pokemon Rangers, for example. And don't get me started on the Player Characters. It's a major berserk button of mine, and it's really not okay at all. It shouldn't be such a gendered-thing, it's like Game Freak is thinking "we can't have the possibility of a male player character showing more skin than the female character", it drives me mad. A sleeveless shirt was the only thing I wanted for character customization. If they won't even include all sorts of options for both genders, why bother in the first place? The girl PC can choose to wear pants, but the boy PC gets no sleeveless shirt. Small things like that irritate me to no end.

Maybe not, but I still find it so. It's not fair only girl characters get to go sleeveless. It happens ALL the time in every single generation of Pokemon. Female characters, 90% of the time, are deliberately less-dressed than their male counterparts. Compare Pokemon Rangers, for example. And don't get me started on the Player Characters. It's a major berserk button of mine, and it's really not okay at all. It shouldn't be such a gendered-thing, it's like Game Freak is thinking "we can't have the possibility of a male player character showing more skin than the female character", it drives me mad. A sleeveless shirt was the only thing I wanted for character customization. If they won't even include all sorts of options for both genders, why bother in the first place? The girl PC can choose to wear pants, but the boy PC gets no sleeveless shirt. Small things like that irritate me to no end.

I'll trade you my sleeveless shirt for your black long sleeve jackets, lol!
Yeah I wish there were more unisex options, since the female character has clothes that are too girly for me. If I had known I probably would've chosen the boy since they have clothes more similar to what I wear irl.
But I managed to get an outfit that I like that's somewhat close to what I wear, and doesn't look girly.

There's a lot of things that bug about the customization. A big one is that girls don't seem to have anything "plain" enough for me. In real life, I'm almost always just wearing a T-shirt with a hoodie and jeans. I've been to every boutique now, and none seem to carry hoodies for girls. I also hope that in a future installment coats are their own thing. I think a big reason males don't get trench coats is because they're counted as dresses. Coats should really be their own category, I'd love to be able to wear jeans or something under them. Also disappointed were limited to natural hair colors. I'd love some teal or lime hair :s

But in the end, I'm definitely thankful that we have customization. It's the first time they're doing it, so of course there's only room to improve.

Only four of the player characters are actually sleeveless (unless Serena's default outfit is too, but I never checked). Also, the Pokemon Ranger player characters are dressed about as much as each other (only one female is sleeveless, but that's the same as her male counterpart):

vZXzqfY.png

Honestly, I'd rather have limited customisation rather than no customisation. Got a problem with the customisation? Communicate with GameFreak. Implying we shouldn't have it at all just because of this sort of thing is honestly pretty dumb. Yes, let's pedal backwards. No better way to progress than backwards, right?

Back
Top Bottom