• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

@Heredity;
Where do you even get Black Tag items outside of Lumiose? Perhaps there are alternate methods we do not yet know of.

----

Honestly, I'm not having trouble scraping up the money, especially when you are an Earl at the Battle Chateau (I'm thinking I can't become a Duke until Elite 4?). I like how the region is divided into Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter areas since it makes it seem like time is passing during my journey even though its been three days. I already made outfits for spring/summer, and now have a fall outfit as well as a winter outfit ready for when I get to the snowy area.

I also have a really fancy outfit that got me music notes and piano music playing in the background for whenever I'm in Lumiose (unfortunately I had to sell my soul and wear a fedora ew)

Last edited:
You can find black tag clothes in pretty much every ship -- Lumiose just has more of them. But you shouldn't buy them unless you want them, because...

Getting 'more stylish' means that the animation that plays when you change your outfit is different. I believe the highest level is musical notes, with a little stint of piano music. Basically, the game is calling you classy, and you get that by putting on several black tag items.

Also, they're not just 'unlocked.' You NEED to be wearing the classy clothes when you hit the salon, not just have changed into them and then changed into something less classy. The salon lady will state a different dialogue when you enter, remarking about how amazing outfit is.

Wrong. The dialogue will talk about how stylish your outfit is, but it is emphatically not about the outfit. As the picture of the guide showed, it has to do with the amount of activities you've done in Lumiose. The two NPCs right outside the boutique make that clear: being stylish is about experiencing the city.

You can get the musical notes with your original starting outfit -- the type of music that plays with the preview just has to do with the category of the outfit (and you learn about the outfit categories in the café next to the Lumiose boutique, as each store specializes in a different one).

It's similar to the Lost Hotel -- they'll comment on your outfit as they reject you, but you get in by learning skating styles, not by changing your outfit.

I never changed my outfits to get into either the Lost Hotel or the Lumiose Boutique. I just learned the skate styles for the Lost Hotel, and I went to all the buildings and did as many things as I could to get into Lumiose (you don't even need to do close to all of them; I'd only done a single battle in the two star restaurant and only did the hotel jobs once). It's really not that hard to get into Lumiose, once you realize it's about doing stuff in the city (AFTER the whole city is unlocked, mind you).

@Heredity;
Where do you even get Black Tag items outside of Lumiose? Perhaps there are alternate methods we do not yet know of.

----

Honestly, I'm not having trouble scraping up the money, especially when you are an Earl at the Battle Chateau (I'm thinking I can't become a Duke until Elite 4?). I like how the region is divided into Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter areas since it makes it seem like time is passing during my journey even though its been three days. I already made outfits for spring/summer, and now have a fall outfit as well as a winter outfit ready for when I get to the snowy area.

I also have a really fancy outfit that got me music notes and piano music playing in the background for whenever I'm in Lumiose (unfortunately I had to sell my soul and wear a fedora ew)

I've found black tag items in the last two boutiques (Snowbelle and Laverre or w/e they are). Mainly shoes.

Wrong. The dialogue will talk about how stylish your outfit is, but it is emphatically not about the outfit. As the picture of the guide showed, it has to do with the amount of activities you've done in Lumiose. The two NPCs right outside the boutique make that clear: being stylish is about experiencing the city.

You can get the musical notes with your original starting outfit -- the type of music that plays with the preview just has to do with the category of the outfit (and you learn about the outfit categories in the café next to the Lumiose boutique, as each store specializes in a different one).

That's because your original outfit has a black tag and overwrites other parts of your outfit, giving your outfit more 'high class' items over lower classed ones. After all, the guide is pretty vague, which is made obvious by:

It's similar to the Lost Hotel -- they'll comment on your outfit as they reject you, but you get in by learning skating styles, not by changing your outfit.

But I thought you just had to be 'more stylish?'

When you go to get your hair done, if you get better looking clothes the salon owner will often ask you about your outfit. You know, ask you actually about your outfit (and what boutique you got it from), not just comment about you as a whole (IIRC, the punks at the Lost Hotel tell you you're lame along with comments about how stylish you are).

I never changed my outfits to get into either the Lost Hotel or the Lumiose Boutique. I just learned the skate styles for the Lost Hotel, and I went to all the buildings and did as many things as I could to get into Lumiose (you don't even need to do close to all of them; I'd only done a single battle in the two star restaurant and only did the hotel jobs once). It's really not that hard to get into Lumiose, once you realize it's about doing stuff in the city (AFTER the whole city is unlocked, mind you).

We're talking about the the salon, and specifically the salon. Not anything else in Lumiose - not the Lost Hotel, the Boutique, or anything or that sort. I still think it has to do with your outfit, especially if you're unlocking higher style ranked items in the guide prior to the salon. Maybe you don't need to be high class, maybe you just need to have changed clothes enough times or been to enough boutiques. I still think it's clothes related, much like the Lost Hotel is skating related.

The Outrage said:

Most salons seem to have them, but they're usually bags, hats, or shoes.

Last edited:
@The Outrage

Just look for skater trainers. I found one in the outer ring of Lumiose, and she taught me how to backflip... Not that I've managed to pull it off (I can't pick up enough speed before a jump to do so).

There's at least one in the skaters café (Roulleau, IIRC), and one in Vert Plaza. just do a wide sweep of Lumiose and talk to every skater you see.

Are there more characters like the artist in Kiloude city? I just got a really adorable dress from her and now I'm wondering if there are more dress-up related quests/rewards!

Unfortunately I don't think so, which seems like a waste in my opinion. I think a side-quest like that would've encouraged people to purchase at least one thing with each of the three main tags for each category of clothing, as a way to make people experiment with the different items out there.

But alas, you give that artist inspiration once, and then she just stays on the inspiration bus for the rest of her life. (Which I guess is good for her, but I want more things with rainbow tag!)

I'm glad Gamefreak finally introduced customization to games, but the customization in this game is disappointing. I dislike that at the beginning, the player has to choose from only three designs: brown skin/brown eyes, blonde hair/blue eyes and brunette/gray eyes with long hair. I know later in the game you can change this, but I think it's sort of unfair to players and it cost them time and money. The player should at least be able to select other hairstyles, eye/hair/skin color and simple clothes at the beginning next game.

Pink-colored shirts for the boy character. I wasted no time buying those. You're forgiven, Game Freak...for the moment...

@Heredity;

----

snowbelle city thrusdays; fedora

Pink-colored shirts for the boy character. I wasted no time buying those. You're forgiven, Game Freak...for the moment...

Now if only they'd pay the reverse for the girls - when all your sports caps are mainly pink, but labled as "green" "yellow" etc... I love playing as a girl, but I cannot stand the colour pink.

Now if only they'd pay the reverse for the girls - when all your sports caps are mainly pink, but labled as "green" "yellow" etc... I love playing as a girl, but I cannot stand the colour pink.

I picked up a black Pokéball baseball cap the other day. Not a trace of pink to be found~

Wish there was more hair styles and you could make it so you don't always have to wear a hat :/

The hairstyles are really not the best for the male. Don't know if its the same for the female characters.

Don't forget to style your Furfrou!! The styles of that Pokemon are just.... hilarious and or shameful in my opinion :p

Something keeps bugging me. I've noticed that on the PSS, some people look like trainer classes, and I've even seen one that looks like
Korrina

Something keeps bugging me. I've noticed that on the PSS, some people look like trainer classes, and I've even seen one that looks like
Korrina
They're only icons, sadly. If you go to your profile and click on your name, you can change your public icon to several different characters.

Back
Top Bottom