• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

I find it laughable that people are actually trying to argue that being given the ability to set your skin colour in a videogame can be seen as offensive or racist.
Stop trying to turn a non-issue into an issue, skin colour itself isn't a touchy subject at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a bad feeling that there will be character customization, and im afraid it'll screw the game over. if there is, then this game better be pretty freaking spectacular!!

I don't really care if there's trainer customization or not, but since this is the 3DS it's possible that they'll make it an option to play as a Mii character.

What's so bad about Trainer Customization? That sounds awesome!

i have a bad feeling that there will be character customization, and im afraid it'll screw the game over. if there is, then this game better be pretty freaking spectacular!!

In what world would that screw the game over? If you don't like it, don't use it. There are plenty of people who would love to have it and would enhance their overall experience because they feel more in touch with their avatar trainer. And not only that, but there are literally zero negatives to customization as far as I can see. It only really affects individual players, not the whole game, and if some don't like it, they can use the default character and deal with it. It's a cool and interesting feature that has a lot of interesting potential. Personally, having really good character customization alone would make the game like 10 times better for me.

In what world would that screw the game over? If you don't like it, don't use it. There are plenty of people who would love to have it and would enhance their overall experience because they feel more in touch with their avatar trainer. And not only that, but there are literally zero negatives to customization as far as I can see. It only really affects individual players, not the whole game, and if some don't like it, they can use the default character and deal with it. It's a cool and interesting feature that has a lot of interesting potential. Personally, having really good character customization alone would make the game like 10 times better for me.

It's really not like they break the mold every generation. As far as I'm concerned its probably really hard to screw up the Pokemon formula. So why not hire on or move over say ten programmers and artists just to work on character customization. For a game with graphics like this I really can't see such an endeavor taking longer then 2 months to start and finish.

Trainer customization would be rather interesting, and certainly a lot more easily do'able now that the generation is taking an approach to 3D graphics. I certainly would be up for it, especially since I do tend to get rather picky with trainer appearances... Customization would be a solution to that sort of thing. But even if customization isn't possible in the end, it wouldn't bug me too much. The screens of what we've seen of the male trainer so far looks okay to me, even if he does look a bit like a clone of Hilbert...

I don't really care either way about customizing my character. I rather like being able to get into the PCs persona and no always be myself. Besides I don't think the new boy character looks anymore generic than Hilbert did... or most boy characters before him. The only ones who felt vaguely original were Brendan and Nate, at that's only because of their crazy hat/hair. Otherwise it's pretty much always the same boy.

This is the first time it's ever made sense for the Pokemon main series games to begin a player customization feature, so I think there's definitely a possibility. I also wouldn't say that the player character being presented in the mirror clearly indicates player customization, but it definitely doesn't refute the idea, either. I hope that if GameFreak has added the feature that they go full-tilt: skin colour, hair colour, eye colour, and although I'm not one to care about fashion I think they should incorporate clothing as well. That being said GameFreak needs to focus on the quality of the options when implementing a customization feature, rather than the quantity of options.

This is the first time it's ever made sense for the Pokemon main series games to begin a player customization feature, so I think there's definitely a possibility. I also wouldn't say that the player character being presented in the mirror clearly indicates player customization, but it definitely doesn't refute the idea, either. I hope that if GameFreak has added the feature that they go full-tilt: skin colour, hair colour, eye colour, and although I'm not one to care about fashion I think they should incorporate clothing as well. That being said GameFreak needs to focus on the quality of the options when implementing a customization feature, rather than the quantity of options.

Its likely just the default version of the character tbh.

To be honest, we don't know. A full 3D world and completely 3D Pokemon in a main series game has obviously never happened before, so anything is possible. The Pokemon franchise is making a lot of attempts to dig itself out of the rut of predictability it's been trapped in for the past few years. I truly believe player customization has a high chance of being implemented, if even minimally.

To be honest, we don't know. A full 3D world and completely 3D Pokemon in a main series game has obviously never happened before, so anything is possible. The Pokemon franchise is making a lot of attempts to dig itself out of the rut of predictability it's been trapped in for the past few years. I truly believe player customization has a high chance of being implemented, if even minimally.

I'm saying that the kid in the mirror is likely the Default version of the main PC

I'm saying that the kid in the mirror is likely the Default version of the main PC

I took it that you had ruled out the idea of player customization, and that we would be given a default player character like in the past.

Not sure if it counts as trainer customization (but its player customization nonetheless) but having ball capsules / seals back would be a nice tough to help give each player and pokemon some distinction. Especially in online battles.

Not sure if it counts as trainer customization (but its player customization nonetheless) but having ball capsules / seals back would be a nice tough to help give each player and pokemon some distinction. Especially in online battles.

Yes, I'm my own person, my own trainer. This will give ne the full pokémon experience. It's me catching and training pokémon, (or some guy I customize to make myself look cooler then I actually am) not some random kid with a hat!

It can still be Pokemon and allow for more customization. What's wrong with wanting to change hair, skin, facial structure or even body type? Sure, I don't expect customization to be too diverse aside from hair, skin, clothes and weight, but I don't see anything wrong with having them in-game. Especially if you're not forced to customize your character to such a degree. (I can see us getting a premade character if we don't want to customize, like in The Sims.)
That saying, there shouldn't be too much customization that it takes away the quality of the actual game play of battles and quests and stuff.

That saying, there shouldn't be too much customization that it takes away the quality of the actual game play of battles and quests and stuff.
I really doubt that they would put any mechanic or feature over battling, so I'm not worried. :)

i would love to have the option to change the hairstyle/color and clothes. i always hated having to wear a hat in these games and i would love to make my character the way i like.

I really love the idea of character customization! It's something I've wanted for years. My hair is brown so I don't really worry much about the hair color of a character (though admittedly, when my character's hair color isn't brown I don't enjoy the game as much since I can't really connect to my training as a link between myself and the pokemon world), but there are times when I just really dislike the hat or clothes my female character is wearing. Or if their hair looks really weird to me.

Having a blonde, light brown, brown, dark brown, and black option would be nice for hair, and maybe a blue, green, brown, and hazel option for eyes would be nice. Of course you should be able to customize your skin tone. Then maybe a few outfit styles for the characters and different hats would be nice.

I really don't get why people were mentioning the Sims series while talking about customization. The way I, and probably a lot of others, picture character customization for this game is absolutely nothing like the Sims customization.

Here you're choosing colors and maybe 10 or so clothing options and hair models per gender. Sims games let you customize the shape of your eyes, ears, nose, mouth head and every little inch of detail about your character. And when it comes to choosing colors, you can pick any hue, shade, and color of the rainbow from white to black, red to violet, and pastel blue to navy blue. For pokemon character customization, you'd probably have set colors for things. Maybe a small rainbow of options.

To me this is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure. they're both fruit and taste delicious but they're not the same thing. Plus it's really quick to get into an apple instead of peeling an orange. With the envisioned pokemon character customization you'll spend probably around 30 minutes at most before diving into your adventure. Sims? Maybe after an hour or two. Especially if you're having trouble picking the personality and favorite foods and colors for your Sim.

One thing I don't get are people claiming XY's male PC "looks like Hilbert/Nate", which I think is a nonsense claim. The new PC appears to have very dark brown or nlack hair, with dark gray/blue eyes. The hat and clothing are very different from each other; all the male PCs look different from each other. The only real "clone of Red" is Ethan, especially in Gen II with the spiky black hair. Honestly, "the PCs look generic" is a horrible excuse for customization.

If customization DOES appear, it had betterbe limited to hair/skin/eye color. Otherwise we may as well call the series PokeSims. .-. Save the full customization for the next 3D console battle sim, or give PBR a fair shake.

Back
Top Bottom