• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

"It's interesting, because in Japan, everybody goes for Pikachu. In the U.S., the characters Ash [Satoshi in Japan] and Pikachu are grouped together. American kids seem to like that. In America there are more products sold with Ash and Pikachu together, not just Pikachu alone. I think Americans actually understand the concept of Pokémon better than the Japanese. The Japanese focus on Pikachu, but what I think is important is the human aspect--you need Ash."
- Tajiri Satoshi (Source)

"It's interesting, because in Japan, everybody goes for Pikachu. In the U.S., the characters Ash [Satoshi in Japan] and Pikachu are grouped together. American kids seem to like that. In America there are more products sold with Ash and Pikachu together, not just Pikachu alone. I think Americans actually understand the concept of Pokémon better than the Japanese. The Japanese focus on Pikachu, but what I think is important is the human aspect--you need Ash."

if i have a kid... i want to name him Satoshi. Satoshi Yanmega. and i'll get to customize aaaannnything he wears. and if he's born a Girl, she'll still be named Satoshi Yanmega and she will be fabulous.

;)

if i have a kid... i want to name him Satoshi. Satoshi Yanmega. and i'll get to customize aaaannnything he wears. and if he's born a Girl, she'll still be named Satoshi Yanmega and she will be fabulous.

;)

Please don't name your child Satoshi Yanmega. for his sake.

*and especially for her sake.

Well, I know this was originally posted, but a clothing store would actually be a nice addition. Kinda reminds me of (and I'm sorry for mentioning a Pokémon Hack game on a real game...) Pokémon Prism which allows you to change the color of your sprite.

Granted, it was just the beta-footage (or something like that) in the premier video, but I thought the new trainers' outfits seemed a little bland. Hopefully we will get some level of trainer customization (maybe not as extensive as Dragon Quest 9, but it'd be awesome if it was), or the designs get a bit more interesting.

I think there should be total customisation. Skin colour, hair colour, eye colour - the whole deal. Remember, you're supposed to be the player character, that's why they're silent after all. Just like how you can generate your own team. And when talking about canon and design, that's purely for canon only. The same way that Red has a canon team, though in the Kanto based games you can have whatever team you want, design is purely for consistency - you should be able to play looking however you want.

That aside, what I'd love is unlockable (or gained) equipment. Like something you get for defeating a gym leader, or the league. Maybe, if they continue the medals, you could even pin your favourite medal on your clothes. Combine this and full-body customisation, and I'm a happy bunny. (I'm dark-skinned, so I prefer being able to match skin tones as well.)

I don't like the idea of customisation. If it were to end up in the game, I would want it to be really simple; like changing hair style. I like the idea of having a set design for a player character, even a silent one. Attaching accessories to a character, and maybe changing the bag, would be fine too.

i dont believe i said ruined at any point. im saying that i dont want the sims or animal crossing or whatever. its called pokemon for a reason. all i want to do is make magical creatures fight each other for money. i dont want to play dress up.
Then don`t. Just ignore it and don`t use it. And how does "Pokemon" relate to not changing appearances? And how does "Animal Crossing" mean it too?
You can't even change your clothes in Animal Crossing, you have a set avatar. In Sims you don't even have an avatar, you just screw with creations.
Shut up and get your facts straight. If you want to make a decent argument, get reliable sources first.

Have you ever played Animal Crossing? evidently not. dressing up your character makes up about 1/6 of the entire game. and yes, on Sims, I was mistaken, and i will admit that. I was talking about My Sims, a stupid rip-off of Animal Crossing. The reason I said its called pokemon for a reason is that it is a contraction of 'Pocket' and 'Monsters', not cutesy dress-up. Its all about raising your pokemon to be the strongest, and in turn become the strongest trainer in your respective region.

Maybe you should take your own advise and get YOUR facts straight, because all you've done is make yourself look like a moronic hypocrite.

i dont believe i said ruined at any point. im saying that i dont want the sims or animal crossing or whatever. its called pokemon for a reason. all i want to do is make magical creatures fight each other for money. i dont want to play dress up.
Then don`t. Just ignore it and don`t use it. And how does "Pokemon" relate to not changing appearances? And how does "Animal Crossing" mean it too?
You can't even change your clothes in Animal Crossing, you have a set avatar. In Sims you don't even have an avatar, you just screw with creations.
Shut up and get your facts straight. If you want to make a decent argument, get reliable sources first.

Have you ever played Animal Crossing? evidently not. dressing up your character makes up about 1/6 of the entire game. and yes, on Sims, I was mistaken, and i will admit that. I was talking about My Sims, a stupid rip-off of Animal Crossing. The reason I said its called pokemon for a reason is that it is a contraction of 'Pocket' and 'Monsters', not cutesy dress-up. Its all about raising your pokemon to be the strongest, and in turn become the strongest trainer in your respective region.

Maybe you should take your own advise and get YOUR facts straight, because all you've done is make yourself look like a moronic hypocrite.
1. The only Animal Crossing game I played was the first one, so I'm sorry for not researching AC beforehand> Seriously, not being sarcastic.
2. It doesn't mean there couldn't be something else in the series to keep the series fresh. Contests, Pokeleathons (no idea how to spell it), Musicals, and Game Corners are all about distracting you from the main game to do some sort of side activity. Animal Crossing's name isn't "Gamewhereyoumovefurniturearoundandbuyclothes Game", it's called Animal Crossing. You can customize your character in a lot of video games. Pokemon isn't called "gamewhereyoucantrainpokemontodefeatmultiplegymleaderstogetbadgestogainacsesstothepokemonleague" it's called Pokemon. Where in teh title of Pokemon does it say "raise your Pokemon to be the strongest"?
We want to make our character actually look like ourselves, not some Japanese guy with a horrible sense in clothes (Lucas, I'm looking at you). We want to experience the adventure. Just some sort of customization at the beginning is all. We don't need to buy clothes all the way, just some short customization at the beginning. That's it.

The reason I said its called pokemon for a reason is that it is a contraction of 'Pocket' and 'Monsters', not cutesy dress-up. Its all about raising your pokemon to be the strongest, and in turn become the strongest trainer in your respective region.

Although it's true Pokémon is about, well, the Pokémon themselves, it's far less certain it's about raising them to be the strongest.

As the Tajiri Satoshi quote I've mention said, Pokémon isn't entirely just about the Pokémon; it's about the trainer and Pokémon together.

Additionally, the overall goal for the player in the Pokémon games is rather unclear and likely intentionally so. While the main story ends when the player defeats the Pokémon League Champion, generally speaking, that's quite far from the end of the game and the player is generally allowed to pursue a number of goals.

Particularly starting from the GBA generation, there's been a number of pursue-able goals that don't relate to making your Pokémon or Pokémon team stronger, such as participating in the contests or collecting ribbons. Some hardly relates to one's Pokémon at all, such as making use of the many communication and data sharing mechanics, customizing one's secret base, or trying to complete the surveys.

The Pokémon games can't be said to be about any one thing; it's about a multitude of things.

The number 1 problem with character customization is that the mangas need a character of reference to based the history on and this character is based on the games that they promoted. In the anime, it's a lesser problem because the main character it's Ash (and expected to continue) and isn't guaranteed that a game character is going to be adapted (you play Hilda/Rosa, not Iris).

Until now, customization doesn't make sense because you are a simple sprite running around. In XY, it will be in 3D making customization more visible and makes more sense because the player character is seen more in these games.

Then, what type of customization, if any, should expect in XY?
Personally, this:
-It will be a small pairs of different characters to choose form, each one with a boy and girl version. For example, you have the option to play as a children, as a teen an as a young adult. Something like PBR but you can change the hair style, clothes and accessories.
-It's possible that for fanservice, they bring back the past player character to be availbale for your player character. There's would be an exception, Crystal because in this case, the gamers will put Lyra available. In that case many people will play Red in those games. If you somehow detect too many Dawn playthrough, go to the Pokemon anime forum to confirm/denied if there's a casuality or not.

I think that if there's black characters (or black-ish like Iris) available the writers will make sure that those characters won't be a problem like Lenora is.

I think that they will see the canon protagonist with the canon clothes, but there's will be like 25 characters available for you, with some of them being past player characters. To all the characters, you can dress up for yourself.

The number 1 problem with character customization is that the mangas need a character of reference to based the history on and this character is based on the games that they promoted. In the anime, it's a lesser problem because the main character it's Ash (and expected to continue) and isn't guaranteed that a game character is going to be adapted (you play Hilda/Rosa, not Iris).

Until now, customization doesn't make sense because you are a simple sprite running around. In XY, it will be in 3D making customization more visible and makes more sense because the player character is seen more in these games.

Personally, this:
-It will be a small pairs of different characters to choose form, each one with a boy and girl version. For example, you have the option to play as a children, as a teen an as a young adult. Something like PBR but you can change the hair style, clothes and accessories.
-It's possible that for fanservice, they bring back the past player character to be availbale for your player character. There's would be an exception, Crystal because in this case, the gamers will put Lyra available. In that case many people will play Red in those games. If you somehow detect too many Dawn playthrough, go to the Pokemon anime forum to confirm/denied if there's a casuality or not.

I think that if there's black characters (or black-ish like Iris) available the writers will make sure that those characters won't be a problem like Lenora is.

I think that they will see the canon protagonist with the canon clothes, but there's will be like 25 characters available for you, with some of them being past player characters. To all the characters, you can dress up for yourself.

I know this is going to sound insane, but trust me on this one for a second. What if, and this is a large if, the manga artists create their own characters? ;)

Problem solved.

Personally, this:

I'm wishing for an option where you can either choose a default player or choose an option to customize.
The manga could use the default player.
The problem is, WHAT WILL THE CHARACTER'S NAME BE?!?! The manga characters are usually named after their games, such as Black, White, Ruby, Pearl, and Diamond (I feel sorry for the last 3 because they're all boys). What will they name the characters this time?
Wait. WHAT WILL ASH WEAR? He usually wears a slightly altered version of the PC from the games, and even if they use the default character, I'm not sure kids want Ash running around in the new region looking like a mailman.
EDIT:
I know this is going to sound insane, but trust me on this one for a second. What if, and this is a large if, the manga artists create their own characters? ;)

Problem solved.
No way. That is way too crazy. Even for Pokemon. And they made a Pokemon based on a fashion that exists only to rebel in Japan (Jynx).
If they created their own characters, it would break a long tradition of using the PCs.
Just use the mailman.
Everybody likes mailmen.
Except the dogs.

Last edited:

Personally, this:

This is my favorite customization theory so far. Love the idea as playing as past characters and having a single canon start character. Also love the idea of choosing child, teen, and young adult. If customization is anything like you describe, I will be one happy player.

As for the manga, I can easily see the "canon" starter being named after the versions by letters. Like Xavier and Yvette or York and Xandra.

I would really appreciate customization in any form with the 3D going on. The character looking into the mirror just screamed this to me. And if the region is indeed inspired by France, it will be so, so perfect. As someone previously stated, my character is going to be decked to the nines. Watch out, Elesa! Super model coming through.

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say customizing our trainers is finally coming. My reasoning are a few and ill list them off as so. (Mind you I'm on a iPad so I won't go to in depth quite yet).

1. The trainers shown look just a tad generic
2. Did you notice how the trainer was looking in a mirror? Often times character creators use this setting for the creation set up. The "getting dressed approach".
3. There were no official images of the trainers to be found in the trailer, as I recall all the past trailers always introduced who you're playing.

I know it sounds like I'm grasping at straws and yes I am. But that's the fun of speculation! Ill post more thoughts I have when I can use a key board. But please discuss!

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! I've been hoping that that is the case as well! I really want that! I've been begging for it for ages! I feel I kinda got spoiled with Pokemon Battle Revolutions so I hope like hell I can finally be a black kid running around the poke world! I will most def have my fingers crossed.

Call me crazy, but I don't think the game designers give a shit about PokeSpe and their naming & design conventions, just saying.

Personally, this:

This is my favorite customization theory so far. Love the idea as playing as past characters and having a single canon start character. Also love the idea of choosing child, teen, and young adult. If customization is anything like you describe, I will be one happy player.

As for the manga, I can easily see the "canon" starter being named after the versions by letters. Like Xavier and Yvette or York and Xandra.

I would really appreciate customization in any form with the 3D going on. The character looking into the mirror just screamed this to me. And if the region is indeed inspired by France, it will be so, so perfect. As someone previously stated, my character is going to be decked to the nines. Watch out, Elesa! Super model coming through.
Dexter/Alexia(ndra)/Max/(Scar)Lexeria and Evylyn/Lyle/Kiyan/Kelly.
Dexter, Scarlexeria (weird name), Evylyn, and Lyle are my favourites.
Pairing Names:
Dexia
Maxeria
Evyle
Kellyan

Maybe even Dez/Zack and Ma(ken)zie/Zella.
Makenzack and Dezella, anyone?
Really dumb names.
EDIT: Wait a minute. ZELDA!

Call me crazy, but I don't think the game designers give a shit about PokeSpe and their naming & design conventions, just saying.

I think the fact that Iris was chosen to follow around Ash in the Best Wishes series might be indication that they had planned on doing character customization in Black and White. But probably due to the limitations of the DS they chose not too. But yah I agree fully that GF probably doesn't give two shits about the manga. And as someone who draws comics, I'd prefer some original designs anyway.

1. The only Animal Crossing game I played was the first one, so I'm sorry for not researching AC beforehand> Seriously, not being sarcastic.
2. It doesn't mean there couldn't be something else in the series to keep the series fresh. Contests, Pokeleathons (no idea how to spell it), Musicals, and Game Corners are all about distracting you from the main game to do some sort of side activity. Animal Crossing's name isn't "Gamewhereyoumovefurniturearoundandbuyclothes Game", it's called Animal Crossing. You can customize your character in a lot of video games. Pokemon isn't called "gamewhereyoucantrainpokemontodefeatmultiplegymleaderstogetbadgestogainacsesstothepokemonleague" it's called Pokemon. Where in teh title of Pokemon does it say "raise your Pokemon to be the strongest"?
We want to make our character actually look like ourselves, not some Japanese guy with a horrible sense in clothes (Lucas, I'm looking at you). We want to experience the adventure. Just some sort of customization at the beginning is all. We don't need to buy clothes all the way, just some short customization at the beginning. That's it.

The only Animal Crossing game I played was the first one, so I'm sorry for not researching AC beforehand> Seriously, not being sarcastic.

somehow I doubt that.

"gamewhereyoucantrainpokemontodefeatmultiplegymleaderstogetbadgestogainacsesstothepokemonleague"

What the?? they would have to have one hell of a box to put that monstrosity of a title on it. and no one would buy the game anyways. because that name sucks.

Back
Top Bottom